PDA

View Full Version : Halo overrated?

Slamming J
03-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Is there anyone out there, besides me, who thinks Halo is WAY overrated?

Jacob
03-28-2002, 10:41 PM
No. compared to the regular FPS which we can get and beat in a day easily. this game is amazing. i mean yes we can all think of improvements for it. but it is DAMN good.

Xtopia
03-28-2002, 11:21 PM
Slamming J, play Halo over the net or play Halo in a HUGE LAN party then come back to me and tell me if you still think it is overated! K?

Slamming J
03-28-2002, 11:32 PM
Sorry man, takes more then online play to tickle my fancy. :)

jumper
03-29-2002, 12:18 AM
LAN, Multiplayer, 6 hours straight (or more). I think you may be the only one that isn't addicted to this game. Ok, well there may be a few others but they are under the age of 6, girlfriends/wives of HALO players (boyfriends in the case of female players like my fellow player Mantis), or have not been able to round up a friend or two to play multiplayer.

To each his own but I would be surprised if you made it through a 16 player LAN party and didn't walk away doubting your position. It might take two or three times to get you really hooked but it would be in you blood after that. You will probably reply that you have played 16 player, 8 on 8. Please excuse me if I don't believe you or at least question the level of players you went up against. Perhaps they were not up to your skill level. Or could the opposite be true? I don't mean that in a bad way, I have seen players who "didn't like" this game and others like it because they couldn't play them well. They either quit playing and went on to something else or they got better and spent a lot of time with their new found interest.

My suggestion is to give it an honest attempt and if you still don't like it then move on. If you find yourself moving on, email me. I'll be glad to take your now useless HALO disc off of your hands. You might as well give it a good home. I'll even pay for shipping so you don't feel like you are out any more than the price you paid for the game.

shererboat
03-29-2002, 08:51 AM
im tired of people saying the halo sux and its overreated!!!!:mad: YOU R IN THE MINORITY coz 9 outta 10 xboxers luv it, and any true FPS fan knows its the best out there now (the one thing in the near future that i see can compare and maybe be better is unreal championship!!).....i pre-ordered halo with my xbox, and its still the game i play the most!!!!.......

i agree with jumper thought, the only people i personally encountered that didnt like halo were those that werent good at it , or not good at FPS's in general......if thats ur case, maybe u should send jumper ur copy of halo (id rather it be in good hands anyway), write to xbox and ask them to make a richard simmons workout game, i believe this may be more to ur liking......

Slamming J
03-29-2002, 11:26 AM
I didn't say I did not like it, it is an awesome game! I love playing co-op with a friend, and the gameplay is awesome. But the levels tend to repeat themselves, the story line goes down the drain once the flood of aliens come into the scene, etc.

While it is an awesome game, I just don't think it is worthy of a 10 out of 10 rating. Sure, it may be the best FPS, but that doesn't mean it's a 10 out of 10 (a perfect game) I'd say a 9 at the most, but again, that's just me.

I've had my Halo since launch (I pre-ordered it with my xbox as well), and the only thing worth playing right now is co-op with a friend, the rest is sort of plain and boring now.

Anyway, I was just curious if there was anyone else who thinks Halo is overrated. So either there isn't, or they are just too afraid to say it.....

shererboat
03-29-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Slamming J
While it is an awesome game, I just don't think it is worthy of a 10 out of 10 rating. Sure, it may be the best FPS, but that doesn't mean it's a 10 out of 10 (a perfect game) I'd say a 9 at the most, but again, that's just me.

if u yourself just gave halo a 9, how is a 10 way overrated??:confused:

Slamming J
03-29-2002, 01:06 PM
No, it's not the rating 10 that I think is overrated. Sorry I didn't make myself clear...I mean everything everyone is saying about it. They make it seem like it's a 100 out of 10! They give it so much praise, like if they are starting their own "Halo religion".

shererboat
03-29-2002, 01:29 PM
ok, i hear u there.......the only way i would give ANY game a 100 outta 10 is if my xbox crapped out gold nuggets while i played it!!!
sorry for all the confusion......:cool:

Huckleberry
03-29-2002, 01:36 PM
it's true...it's not a perfect game...you can read the thread about what people want to see added to halo 2 to know that there are a lot of improvements to be made.

there will probably never actually be a game that everyone agrees is a 10. for anyone to say that halo is the perfect game is simply their opinion, and for them to get pi$$y if someone disagrees is just plain stupid. by the same token, for someone to say that halo is overrated should not expect that everyone agrees with them. i have 6 xbox games, and i like them all, but nothing gets me jacked up like hooking 4 boxes together and doing some all night or all day lan party. for me, it's not overrated, but it's not perfect, either.

as maximus has stated several times, we are all looking forward to unreal championship and brute force because some of what is lacking in halo will be addressed in those games.

anyway, if someone wants to start a thread asking if halo is overrated, they should expect some differing opinions...and those who defend it should not expect to convert one who doesn't think it's all that.

Yolo
03-29-2002, 02:29 PM
for me to poop on!!!!

X-Factor
03-31-2002, 12:20 AM
This has just gotta be the...
http://www.lamer.net/worst.jpg

Halo Evolved
03-31-2002, 12:56 AM
Halo is probably one of the most dominant FPS games I have played and have seen. I mean, it is so close to hitting the mark that I have a great time playing it...something that few FPS titles actually get right.

C++
03-31-2002, 03:52 AM
Halo is like the best game out their right now

C++
03-31-2002, 03:55 AM
Who Doesn't like hALO?

X-Factor
03-31-2002, 03:27 PM
Halo didn’t just live up to the hype... It surpassed it. Halo will forever be mentioned among the ranks of Half-Life, Doom, and Goldeneye. Halo isn’t just one of the greatest FPS’s ever, but one of the best games ever, period.

monkeyman
03-31-2002, 04:58 PM
Is there anyone out there, besides me, who thinks Halo is WAY overrated?

i think your WAY over rated!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

naw you were just expression your opinion or whatever but i think halo is one awsome game when someone says something about a fps they will think HALO!!!!!!!!!! hey it could happen

Slamming J
03-31-2002, 07:20 PM
Yeah, I agree, when people think FPS, they WILL think Halo, because it's good.

Once again I stress, I am NOT saying Halo is a bad game! You guys all sound like that's what I said. It isn't! I'm just saying a lot of people give it loads of praise and glory, like if it's a 100 out of 10. I think THAT is what's overrated, all the praise and glory it's getting from the fans, not the reviews. I'd probably rate the game about a 9 out of a 10 at the most, which isn't much lower then some sites.

X-Factor
03-31-2002, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I agree, when people think FPS, they WILL think Halo, because it's good.

Once again I stress, I am NOT saying Halo is a bad game! You guys all sound like that's what I said. It isn't! I'm just saying a lot of people give it loads of praise and glory, like if it's a 100 out of 10. I think THAT is what's overrated, all the praise and glory it's getting from the fans, not the reviews. I'd probably rate the game about a 9 out of a 10 at the most, which isn't much lower then some sites. GameSpot gave it a 9.7 rating. Is that overrated?? I'd like to know who rates it a 100 out of 10. Halo just happens to be, IMO, the best FPS of all time. The game deserves praise and glory, Slamming J!

CJmac
03-31-2002, 11:17 PM
Gotta agree with everyone else. I think if you're a hard core FPS fan the answer to you're question is, "No, Halo is not overrated".

It's doing the mechanics the way we want them and fans are responding. If Halo is the very beginning of what programmers can do with the Xbox and the tired FPS genre, then we are in for a very fun ride. Things will only get better.

Yannie Boy
04-03-2002, 08:34 AM
there is no way that halo was overated, NO WAY. it disevered its rating. So stop hating

Slamming J
04-03-2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Chupacabra
there is no way that halo was overated, NO WAY. it disevered its rating. So stop hating

Not to be rude or anything...but did you just read anything I said?! I didn't think so! You just said I think two things that I really don't! I don't hate halo, it's a good game. And I don't dislike the ratings it gets, I would just make it a little lower then ten. But that's not enough to make me think those are overrated. Try reading the replies, you'll see what I think is overrated. ;)

And to back it up, for the last few days, the top 5 or so topics on this board was all Halo after Halo after Halo. But then the James Bond topic got bumped back up, which is nice. But still, Halo topics are probably the most common one on these boards. That or GTA3.
It's just annoying that all fans talk about is Halo, there are other really good games out there too.

Anyway, I did this topic to find out if there were anyone who didn't like Halo as much as the rest of the people give it praise. Not for people who really like the game and want to blow me out of the water, but oh well, I guess I should have expected it. :)

I know there are other people who don't like it as much, especially out of over 6,000 members! I guess they are just too scared to post, afraid they'll get the name "Halo hater". Even though they really wouldn't be, they just, like myself, don't like it as much as other people....but still like it.

Yannie Boy
04-04-2002, 08:34 AM
No im just saying just in case if anyone pops up and say anything, i wasnt talking to you so calmate (Calm down)

Slamming J
04-04-2002, 08:39 AM
No sweat man, I also put that up for anyone else who might come on. :)

shererboat
04-04-2002, 08:43 AM
i think its funny this thread keeps comin to the top coz slammin explained what he meant like4 times already.............:D

Yannie Boy
04-08-2002, 11:10 AM
o well

Mantis
04-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Just came across this thread today.
I started playing Goldeneye back in the day and quickly became the only woman I know who was totally obsessed. Then a few months ago, Huckleberry invited me to play some game called Halo because he knew I liked Bond. Now of course, it's all I ever think about. I see this game in my sleep and live for Mondays at his house and the occasional 15 hour Saturday Halo fest. This game is not overrated, it's FABULOUS! ;)

Halo Evolved
04-08-2002, 03:07 PM
Yes, Halo has some real addicting qualities to it....that is one factor that has lead it to greatness.