PDA

View Full Version : How to customize your Xbox

crazyotto
03-29-2002, 08:41 AM
Paint. What a let down. I might spray paint a controller, but I really didn't think they at OXM were talking about customizing the outside of the box. The new magazine isn't the gratest. But what can you expect since last issue (with KOTOR news) being the best so far. No comparison. Either way I thought you should know.:mad:

Crazy Joe
03-29-2002, 03:12 PM
paint? they actually tell you to paint your Xbox?? that is messed up!

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 03:15 PM
You have to be crazy to paint your controller. Do you know what is going to happen as you play? The sweat will start to eat at the paint and it will start to peel off and rub off onto your hand. Your controller will then look like crap.

Painting your Xbox is also pretty stupid unless done with great care. The only part I would ever consider painting would be the giant X on the top of the box. It has no exhaust holes and everything else could easily covered. You just need to find some good paint that can stand heat well.

wweomaniac
03-29-2002, 03:23 PM
That's quite stupid. I wouldn't paint my xbox. I would be to scared to screw up.

this leads to the question, why doesn't XBOX come out with different colour xboxs? Like gamecube and n64 and psx??

AlBoogy
03-29-2002, 03:26 PM
It sounds stupid. But wait 'till you see it. They have a couple of projects for you to do with the XBox that will make you want to do it. And they painted the controls in a red and silver color that look real sweet! It looks so good, i'm going to do the controller one. But I'm going to take the horrible interact controller to test it out. To see if my hands turn diff. colors and stuff.

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 04:26 PM
The whole Idea is a little weird but hey its your xbox the only thing i would say is that cover up the buttons with tape so nothing can get inside the controler and stuff the memory card ports with news paper just as a precaution

Xbox Masta 4
03-29-2002, 05:37 PM
YOU GOT IT ALL WRONG! THE MAGAZINE DOES NOT TELL YOU TO PAINT YOUR XBOX, IT SHOWS YOU HOW TO PAINT IT, IT TELLS YOU THAT IT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND STUFF. IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO BE DIFFERENT THAN OTHERS THAN YOU CAN PAINT IT. THEY DON'T INSIST YOU ON PAINTING IT!!!!!!:)

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 05:54 PM
XboxMasta4:

Find this key and rip it off your keyboard. http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/infocntr/helpdesk/images/capslock.gif

Of course they aren't insisting that you paint it. The fact that they show you a way to void your warranty and possibly wreck your Xbox is not very responsible from the Official Xbox Magazine.

Still if anyone does it, please be careful. :D

GuiltySpark
03-29-2002, 05:58 PM
I was just thinking to myself how cool a red xbox with the X green center intact would look like. that would be a pretty cool looking system. Maybe I've been drinking too much Mountain dew: red alert probaly the best new soda to coems out in years:eek:

khaos2005
03-29-2002, 06:00 PM
Haha Lynxfx, that's classic. :)

When I got it I was a little let down about it. I thought they would have some way to customize the "software" part of your Xbox, not the "hardware" part, like many of us thought in an earlier post. But oh well, some of their examples are really sweet looking.

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 06:04 PM
Yeah I thought it was some way to customize your dashboard. I don't get OXM so I can just go by what other people say. I think I might subscribe though. Missing out on some good demos. :)

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 06:04 PM
I have actualy sen a xbox case i guees you would call it on ebay i thing it was translucent green so i guess there gonan come out with somethin soon

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 06:08 PM
The translucent green ones on Ebay are the Dev kits. From what I hear you can't even play actual games on it.

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 06:10 PM
well you can at least take them off and put them on your own

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Hehe, never thought of that. That is an expensive cosmetic makeover though. :D

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 06:15 PM
hey video games are an expensive hobby i rather do thatthan break one painting it

Hugh_Jass
03-29-2002, 07:45 PM
I've painted a PC case before. It's not that big of a deal. I'm sure your XBOX would look great if you wanted to spend a little time and do a quality job.

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 09:50 PM
I paint all my pc cases, but it is a little different since you can take everything out of it with no fuss. Plus what warranty do I have to worry about, I built it. Although, now the warranty on my xbox is over but if I screw something up, I can't really just pick up a new part like I could on a PC.

I haven't looked at taking the Xbox apart yet but does anyone know if the cover comes off easily? If that is the case then I think I'll just pop that off and paint the X.

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 09:55 PM
i wouldnt want to ruin my xbox i like the original look

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 01:26 AM
Well I had been contemplating painting the X on my xbox for a while. And right when I saw that OXM did it I went straight to my hobby shop and picked up some chrome paint "1290 chrome" to be exact. The paint was by model master and as for those people who say the paint will come off and chit are stupid. This is profesional model paint and it doesnt come off. I did my controls first and when I saw how bad asz they turned out I decided to take the big step paint the xbox. After taping everything off VERY VERY VERY carefully I painted it. My conclusion. XBOX was made to be chrome or a very reflective silver. I wanted to paint my entire xbox Chrome but alas I didnt. In the end the green jewel stands out very very very clearly now and the two tone black and chrome colors are just too bad asz to turn down. In my opinion DO IT> dont be a puss and do it people, you will be happy u did.

Xbox Masta 4
03-30-2002, 06:48 AM
Sorry for the caps everyone. I was using Shift, lol! But I'm sorry for using all caps letters. :)

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 07:47 AM
[DW]A K IR A you got me interested in doin this how did you do it?

Kooster
03-30-2002, 09:39 AM
Im going to do my controller. It looks really easy to do. Im not doing my Xbox though because in OXM it shows an Xbox w/ a bad paint job and I dont want mine to look like that. You dont have to take it apart to paint it, but OXM says it would be safer. It would void your warranty by having to unscrew the screw underneath the warranty sticker.

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 12:31 PM
OK when u paint your xbox they say that u can do it either one of two ways. First you can just tape off all the vents ect...... or u can take the case off and do it that way. There is no point in doing the second one. OK well u want the steps to paint your xbox eh? Well first of all u gotta get the right paint. I recommend model master (so does OXM but ive used it for years its the best) U can either paint it or spray paint it. Spray paint is the ONLY way to go. Actually painting your xbox in strokes would look like ****!!!!!!!!!!! OK now that you have the paint your ready to tape off alll the open vents ect..... For this you will need a special tape that is made for paint. Otherwise the paint will seep under the paint and blahhhhhh. K you only want to paint the X in the middle, this is the first place you should start your taping by taping off the jewel. Lay down the tape so that each band of tape croses each other a little. After the entire jewel is covered off use a fingernail and go around the jewel multiple times to get the shape of the jewel. Cut off excess tape. Then go and cover the vental area. Then do the back/ports. NOTE: If u want your botom to be perfect tape it all up. Now were to the front. Tape off the shinny black areas that are not part of the big X. The most important thing here is to make sure that no paint can get into the xbox so fold a piece of tap and stick it between the space where your dvd tray is. Once u have taped it all off ur ready to paint. I did 3 coats of "1290 chrome" on mine. Allow at least 2 hours to dry for each coat and allow a massive amount of time for it to ultimately dry out. Then just take off the tape. If there are paint in places that you dont want make sure that you get some paint thinner and rub it off. The controllers are WAY to easy for me to even talk about but ill do it. First unscrew all 7 screws in the controller take the faceplate off (watch the buttons) then tape off the jewel in the middle. (follow the steps for the xbox jewel) Then lastly just paint about 3 coats and your good to go. BTW watch out for spraying too much paint and allowing it to run ect.... also if you spray too much paint on the controls the back and start words may dissapear, happened to me once LOL!!!! but i got it back to good. Well there u have it a beautiful totaly uniqe xbox that is yours. BTW as for the wranty mine had already expired so I didnt give a dam but for those who arent I sugest u wait till it is. But hey its all good and dandy fine as sandy in the end :cool:

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 12:32 PM
OK when I say take your time with the tape on the xbox do it. It took me 1.5 hours to tape everything off to perfection. Just a heads up.

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 03:47 PM
Dam the mag left this part out. I STRONGLY encourage you to spray a clearcoat on the xbox itself. It seems as though the controllers are fine without a clearcoat but U MUST!!!!!! paint a clearcoat on the xbox or else your left with a smudge machine.

Dre
03-30-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I paint all my pc cases, but it is a little different since you can take everything out of it with no fuss. Plus what warranty do I have to worry about, I built it. Although, now the warranty on my xbox is over but if I screw something up, I can't really just pick up a new part like I could on a PC.

I haven't looked at taking the Xbox apart yet but does anyone know if the cover comes off easily? If that is the case then I think I'll just pop that off and paint the X.

Whaddup... click on my sig. Check out the speedier hd axs howto for info on takin apart the xbox.

lates

Hugh_Jass
03-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by [DW]A K IR A
Well I had been contemplating painting the X on my xbox for a while. And right when I saw that OXM did it I went straight to my hobby shop and picked up some chrome paint "1290 chrome" to be exact. The paint was by model master and as for those people who say the paint will come off and chit are stupid. This is profesional model paint and it doesnt come off. I did my controls first and when I saw how bad asz they turned out I decided to take the big step paint the xbox. After taping everything off VERY VERY VERY carefully I painted it. My conclusion. XBOX was made to be chrome or a very reflective silver. I wanted to paint my entire xbox Chrome but alas I didnt. In the end the green jewel stands out very very very clearly now and the two tone black and chrome colors are just too bad asz to turn down. In my opinion DO IT> dont be a puss and do it people, you will be happy u did.

Cool. Post some pics.

chili325
03-30-2002, 08:44 PM
U have failed to mention that most of the section was about installing awesome LEDS and **** like that. I painted my xbox controller with silver spray paint and tha thing is BANG'N! And whoever waz gona paint there interact one, u can only paint the pack, cuz unlike the official one, the buttons and electronics are all attached to the front

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Hey when you paint the off xbox controller you o the back too witht he wires in it cause its connected if so tell me how

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 09:52 PM
well I would take some pics of my beautiful baby but I dont have a digital camera.

[DW]A K IR A
03-30-2002, 09:58 PM
As for the comment on the leds. If u didnt notice the dudes who did those projects are what id like to call PROFESIONALS. I say this because they actually modified the case by making the entire unit taller and adding in 2 extra 6mm fans. Id never do this to my xbox. That is just insane if I ever tried it. I have moded my PC case but I dont got the skills like those dudes. I personally think the polished steel X and blue siding (shoulda been green) one looked hella beter with its beautiful ilusion X jewel.

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 10:06 PM
[DW]A K IR A I just put primer on only the front part of the controller i think im gonna paint it chrome cause thats all i have and did yo do the back part cause i dont know how to do that because the wires are in there

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 10:17 PM
This is what is looks like so far with gray primer i have 2 more coats to go

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 10:57 PM
the pic should come up now

E-Xbox
03-30-2002, 11:22 PM
http://www.yoursighost.com/users/EXbox/sig2.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

picture alot shinier in real life...

PEACE! :) :D

monkeyman
03-30-2002, 11:24 PM
woah crazy thats a pretty cool looking controller

MethodZ
03-30-2002, 11:27 PM
hi thats my controller its not done yet

monkeyman
03-30-2002, 11:30 PM
nice controller paul:D

E-Xbox
03-30-2002, 11:30 PM
woops...i forgot to mention that paul

YO ALL!
the cont i posted is Paul86's controller
and its grey in that pic
cuz he wasnt done....

peace

ZroFoE
03-30-2002, 11:59 PM
I was just wondering. Do you have to put primer on the controller first? Is that a better method?

I'm going to pain my controllers green. when I finish I will take some pictures of it so you guys can see.

wweomaniac
03-31-2002, 09:25 AM
The picture isn't showing up. Can you repost it??

wweomaniac
03-31-2002, 09:27 AM
n/m it showed up now. Nice.... Why grey??

also, won't the colour rub off after a while?? Even spray paint rubs off after a while.

MethodZ
03-31-2002, 11:19 AM
well you dont have to use primer but ot comes out better and its silver now that was the primer color and im putting oon lacquer to keep it from rubbing off

ZroFoE
03-31-2002, 12:17 PM
I just simply plained on put soem acrylic paint on it then slapping on a clearcoat and calling it a day.

[DW]A K IR A
03-31-2002, 12:26 PM
K I didnt prime or clearcoat mine, I played all day yesterday (10 hours) to see if the controls paint would come off and nope it doesnt. As for the clearcoat is concerned my spraypaint instructions were not to put a clearcoat on it. I tested this on the piece of cardboard to see what it does, and well it took all the shine away and basically turned it gray. It still looked good but if u paint it gold, silver, chrome or any highly shinny color do not put a clearcoat on. I love my xbox man, its the first thing I look at when I wake up LOL

BTW this is what my xbox does to u if u look at it when its in the sun :eek:

Zen
03-31-2002, 12:26 PM
so what kinda LED addons and stuff were there?
id mod my controller if i could add in LED lights and stuff

spray painting the controller is a little to campy for me. id void my warranty for LED lights though >:]

ZroFoE
03-31-2002, 12:46 PM
You didn't use primer?

Also, what if your hands get sweaty? Put water on your hands then see if it rubs off.

MethodZ
03-31-2002, 01:24 PM
i uploaded a silver one i hope it works

csoldier
03-31-2002, 01:49 PM
Wait a minute. It may look cool, but- I paid $300 for this thing and I'm not about to even consider voiding the warranty by painting it. What if paint gets into the box & screws up the vid card or something? That'd be destroying the xbox and the warranty that came with it in one blow! Flush that money down the toilet it you wanna- I'm not.
I think it looks cool just the way it is- working.

{just my 2 cents}

[DW]A K IR A
03-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Dam dude u act like I dont know **** about painting the mofo's. The dam instructions tell u not to put on a clear coat if u use any high gloss paint such as silver or chrome. And I have used water to clean off the controls. Dont make me look like I dont know **** about it cause I am obviously the first one to do it on these boards.

monkeyman
03-31-2002, 03:27 PM
sweet controller i would do that but knowing me i would break it:(

ZroFoE
03-31-2002, 06:41 PM
Dam dude u act like I dont know **** about painting the mofo's. The dam instructions tell u not to put on a clear coat if u use any high gloss paint such as silver or chrome. And I have used water to clean off the controls. Dont make me look like I dont know **** about it cause I am obviously the first one to do it on these boards.

Jeez "dude", I was just trying to make sure I dont do anything wrong to screw up my controller. I just making sure I didnt ruin anything. If you didn't want to or couldn't answer my question then you should have just said so. Rather than trying to chew me out on a message board. lame

MethodZ
04-01-2002, 09:08 AM
i just finised doing my 3rd coat now its got to dry and then i got o put it back togethr and ill post it

[DW]A K IR A
04-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Well I guess i read that post the wrong way then eh? Sounded like u were sayin "U dumb**** didnt use a primer, what an idiot" LOL well I apologize for my actions but no u dont have to use a primer.