PDA

View Full Version : $14.95 a month

noodleboy
03-29-2002, 09:12 AM
If the rumor is true, do you plan on getting the Xbox Online service for $14.95 a month. If it is just online play with no 'add-on' stuff, I can't see myself really getting my money out of it.

JJaX
03-29-2002, 09:25 AM
$14.95 a month is pocket change man............

Get a job

shererboat
03-29-2002, 09:32 AM
with alot of games coming out with online capabilities **cough cough.....unreal** im looking forward to their online service.......

$14.95 a month isnt alot, and McDonalds is always hiring......;)

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
$14.95 a month is pocket change man............

Get a job

LOL, yo.. he's right. IF the rumors are right I dont think asking for $14.95 is too much to ask for.
I'll be willing to cough up that petty cash.

But my question is what's up with the other FEE? Am I missing something from the article on the homepage?
They said something like a first time sign up fee, or something else just to make a extra buck.

But remember, these are Nintendo Rep rumors. E3 will give us all the real answers:)

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by shererboat

$14.95 a month isnt alot, and McDonalds is always hiring......;)

LMAO!!! Good one shererboat!:D

JJaX
03-29-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

LOL, yo.. he's right. IF the rumors are right I dont think asking for $14.95 is too much to ask for.
I'll be willing to cough up that petty cash.

But my question is what's up with the other FEE? Am I missing something ffom the article on the homepage?
The ymay mean something like a first time sign up fee, or something else just to make a extra buck.

But remember, these are Nintendo Rep rumors. E3 will give us all the real answers:)

I think you gotta pay for broad ban + MS fee (14.95)

So thats like 70 Bucks a month about. Right?

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 09:44 AM

I think you gotta pay for broad ban + MS fee (14.95)

So thats like 70 Bucks a month about. Right?

Is broadband $49.99 with any ISP you are with?
And JJax, you cant go online via the Xbox console alone like da DC?
I should know all this by now, I just have been slackin on my pimpin Xbox news for the online because Microsoft is not saying nothing until E3.

JJaX
03-29-2002, 09:47 AM

Is broadband $49.99 with any ISP you are with?
And JJax, you cant go online via the Xbox console alone like da DC?
I should know all this by now, I just have been slackin on my pimpin Xbox news for the online because Microsoft is not saying nothing until E3.

Im just think of my cable bill as a whole........

I dont have broadband as of now.

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 09:58 AM

Im just think of my cable bill as a whole........

I dont have broadband as of now.

Dude, you didnt even answer my questions d@mmit!:mad:

**Ninja pulls out Katana Sword as he gets angry while waiting for Jjax's answers! **

FpS_PhReeK
03-29-2002, 10:02 AM
Man I spend $15 a month on candy bars... Geez DOMINATOR-XPE™ 750gr. HORNADY "A-MAX" (NON-MOLY) shells for my .50 cal Berretta cost $24.00 a clip.

http://www.ammunitionstore.com/Images/Ammo/A048.7.jpg

http://www.snipersparadise.com/_themes/sp1/LogoOneMan2.gif

PhReeK out!

JJaX
03-29-2002, 10:02 AM

Dude, you didnt even answer my questions d@mmit!:mad:

**Ninja pulls out Katana Sword as he gets angry while waiting for Jjax's answers! **

**JJaX punches ninja in throat with 3 rapid taps**

The blood to your brain has stopped flowing.....You will die shorty....

I meant to say i dont have broadband now. But i think its like $35.00 a month or some junk.

But i was trying to think of my cable bill as a whole.

Broadband + cable television = Whole

**JJaX puches Ninja in throat and blood flow is back to normal **

baggachipz
03-29-2002, 10:20 AM
Maybe I'm the only person in here who thinks that that's WAY too much for a montly fee. I play blizzard games online for FREE! And look, they're 50 bucks too! Naw, no way I'll pay that much. Not when we'll be able to use things like xbconnect and such. If it were more like 5 a month then I'd bite.

shererboat
03-29-2002, 10:24 AM
theres a differnece between playing blizzard PC games online and console gaming online..........

baggachipz
03-29-2002, 10:29 AM
theres a differnece between playing blizzard PC games online and console gaming online..........

What would that be? Only difference is the machine the game's being played on.

JJaX
03-29-2002, 10:30 AM

PC gaming using the Internet as a means. MOre traffic = more lag.

MS network will be just for gaming. That = better gaming.

Dont get me wrong, I play UT and Starcraft Online too. But to sit in my room and play Xbox online will be worth the 15 bucks.

Nothings free now days. (The internet should be free blah BlaH BlaH bLaH! but its not so tough)

Batman2372
03-29-2002, 10:34 AM

Really? And what would that be? Other than the transmitting protocols being different, there really isn't. Explain to me how playing UT online on my pc is different than playing UC on the Xbox (aside from different operating systems, we're not talking about cross platforms).

I can get all the online gaming I want for free with my DSL and my PC. I'm not going to pay 180 bucks a year plus a setup fee just to play online with my xbox. Sorry.

baggachipz
03-29-2002, 10:41 AM
I'd be satisfied if the experience were like playing starcraft online if it were free. Consider me skeptical, but I don't see the MS service being 100% bug-free by any means when it's launched. I'm going to make my prediction now (as I should have done forcasting a nasty Japan launch):
The launch of "Xbox Live" or whatever it is will be bumpy. There will be some angry customers, and news.com will publish a story that maybe console gaming online hasn't quite yet arrived.

I agree, the internet can't be free; and if this online service were free that wouldn't disagree with that concept. Why? Because we paid for the game! All I'm saying is that blizzard has a strong online gaming presence with battle.net, and it's free and only a house ad every now and then! It can (and has) been done.

I'm a lot quicker to jump and buy a game when I can play online for free. It's just a good perk of the game, and in the end shouldn't be too much of a cost for MS considering it would catapult them into the forefront of next generation of gaming: online.

baggachipz
03-29-2002, 10:43 AM
I couldn't agree more.

Batman2372
03-29-2002, 10:56 AM

PC gaming using the Internet as a means. MOre traffic = more lag.

MS network will be just for gaming. That = better gaming.

You'll still be using the internet to connect to the Microsoft servers. Network lag will be no different. Now server lag may be better, but who knows...

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 10:57 AM
Okay, im gonna throw a swear on this thread.

Xbox is not like the Dreamcast where you can go online out-the-box right?

So one must have either cable or broadband in order to play online with the Xbox this summer?:confused:

Batman2372
03-29-2002, 10:59 AM
Yes, Ninja, that's correct.

Snoopy7548
03-29-2002, 11:12 AM
i dont wanna pay money to play games online, im used to playing them for free (unreal tourny, cs, sof). my cable bill as a whole is 92 bucks a month! 45 bucks for internt, and the rest for tv, my parents cant afford to pay 15 more bucks a month, neither can i, cause i dont have a job. hopefully we can still use gamespy, or they will come out with a new program or something, cause im not paying for anything if i just spent 50 bucks on a game.

fanofslipknotib
03-29-2002, 11:24 AM
I was reading through, and I saw somebody mention that they won't pay it because there is Gamespy and XBC, which are free. That is all well and good, except for the fact that those only play system link games. How many system link games are out? 5? I think when Microsoft goes online, abiut 90% of the games will be online. I don't think there is any way we could see a sports game on Gamespy, because making it system link would be weird.

I will probably most likely pay the money to enjoy playing multiplayer all the time, with more than a couple people over.

Snoopy7548
03-29-2002, 11:31 AM
they will find a way to play online games with a program like gamespy, if they found a way to play system link games online, then they can with online games

l Maximus l
03-29-2002, 11:53 AM
One of the downfalls with Gamespy and XBC is lag. Yes, I have a lot of fun when I have a total of three or four people playing on my XBox through XBC or Gamespy...but, we can only play another team that consists of 3-4 on one XBox, otherwise, there will be too much lag. The host always has the upperhand if there is more than two total XBoxes while playing on-line (the host and one visiting XBox).

However, with the on-line network, there will be absolutely no lag...no advantage for a host, and so on. This is worth $14.95 to me, no problem! Besides, Unreal Championship will allow a total of 32 players on-line!

I hardly believe there will be any lag whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was running an OC-192 or something! If you don't know what that is, by any chance, it is capable of running 10 Gbps!!!! Not too shabby :D

Even an OC-48 runs 2.488 Gbps!

I realize that this on-line gaming network will be new for Microsoft in regards to the XBox...but, one thing is for sure, Microsoft knows networking, therefore, I think it's going to be as closest to bug free as possible :)

terrapin
03-29-2002, 12:01 PM
Don't forget that playing games on the Microsoft network will be less buggy and have less lag. Less lag you say how? Well for one thing the games will be programmed differently. Writing code for a system link where you are limited to the bandwith of a LAN is DIFFERENT than writing code for use across a WAN (the Internet).

mahalan
03-29-2002, 12:04 PM
Jjax, sorry to burst your bubble man but they're the same. Microsoft will be using the Internet for communications too (hence your need for a broadband ISP). The traffic situation will be the same.

Whisper
03-29-2002, 12:05 PM
I don't think I'll be getting it, not only am i On 56k, with no upgrade in site until about july, 14.95 is just a little too much seeing as the games for online are not deep enough yet, I don't like Unreal at all... I don't have a job, and my parents are *******s and probably wont put out 15 bucks for me

JJaX
03-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
Jjax, sorry to burst your bubble man but they're the same. Microsoft will be using the Internet for communications too (hence your need for a broadband ISP). The traffic situation will be the same.

Im just taking a shot in the dark. I guess we're going to have to wait and see what MS does. Its all specualtion as of now.

l Maximus l
03-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Keep in mind that Nintendo is the one that started this rumor. So, I don't know how dependable it really is. I wouldn't be surprised if the on-line network went down to $9.95 a month. Either way, it doesn't matter...I will just pay the entire fee up front for the whole year. Last thing I need is another monthly bill! :D

X-Factor
03-29-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Last thing I need is another monthly bill! :D I hear you, Max!

Crazy Joe
03-29-2002, 01:03 PM
I agree with Max, why is anyone putting any considerable confidence in something that a NINTENDO representative said about Xbox. Do you think that Xbox calls up Nintendo and tells them what they are doing? I doubt that any of what he said is going to be true.

JADE8704
03-29-2002, 01:16 PM
i agree, 14.95 isn't alot considering all the cool things that come with online play...and the good thing about it is, its broadband, so there hardly won't be any lags...im willing to fork over my money for xbox online

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 01:20 PM
they should like set a annual price of like 50$ id do it then instead of monthly that be a pain in the ass

Spaztic
03-29-2002, 01:57 PM
$14.95 isn't that much but if I can play for free, why pay? Yeah I get a little lag but the problem isn't with the network it is the other peoples high pings! I need to be convinced before I throw away 14.95 a month otherwise it isn't worth my investment! And I am pretty sure M$ will shutdown gamespy and xboxconnecter once there network is up!

khaos2005
03-29-2002, 02:08 PM
$14.95 is nothing, pocket change as JJaX said earlier. I wouldn't mind paying that as long as there is a high quality, moderated network, with plenty of games supporting this feature. I personally can't wait for it!

Although, I too, would rather have a annual fee of $150 or so, instead of having to write out payments once a month. But it really isn't that big of a deal.

Ninja Scroll
03-29-2002, 02:18 PM
Looks like a good 95-98% of the addicts are willing to pay the $14.95 which is not too much to ask for, though this is still a Nintendo rumor and Microsoft already said they have not announced anything so far.
We should have had a poll on this topic.

But as most XBA members meantioned, I agree, I would rather pay atleast 6 months worth instead of getting a monthly bill which would more than likely have to be charged to your credit card. Not in the mail.;)

l Maximus l
03-29-2002, 02:21 PM
But as most XBA members meantioned, I agree, I would rather pay atleast 6 months worth instead of getting a monthly bill which would more than likely have to be charged to your credit card. Not in the mail.;)

Yeah, dude...I expect that there will be a lot of different payment options. Monthly, quarterly, bi-yearly, and yearly or something of that nature. Pesonally, I'll just pay it all up front and get it out of the way...But, I wouldn't be suprised if a person paid yearly would have a discounted price...but, we'll see :)

Snoopy7548
03-29-2002, 02:22 PM
they should make it so that when u buy a game, u get like 4 months of online play free, cause 50 bucks is almost 4 times $14.95.

mtbaird5687
03-29-2002, 02:53 PM
i probably will pay

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 03:26 PM
I make plenty of money to afford $15 extra a month. Will I pay? Probably not. It is the ethics of it. I feel if the service costs more than $5 that MS is ripping us off. Of course I'll try and hold judgement until the official announcement. :)

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 04:05 PM
They should have like the first 2 or 3 months free so that you can try it out see if you like it, So they could test it out see how well it works get all the kinks out, and lastly to see how many people are intereste d and come up with a fair price

Batman2372
03-29-2002, 05:02 PM
Paul86, I like your idea. Especially at the launch. There's no way that I'm going to pay up front when I don't even know what the quality of the service will be.

Don't even start, guys, by saying "It's Microsoft, you know it's going to be good." Windows XP will tell you otherwise.

If after a few months, the reviews come in and the network runs well, I MIGHT be willing to step into the ring. Otherwise, I'm with Lynxfx.

Spaztic
03-29-2002, 05:24 PM
That is true MS has never released a new product that dosn't have alot of bugs in it. I am sure their xbox network will be no exception!

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 05:29 PM
No one has released a product that doesn't have a lot of bugs in it. No need to just harp on MS for that.

I for one think XP is the best OS ever released. Now ME was the joke. :)

khaos2005
03-29-2002, 06:06 PM
Linux!

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Linux is nice, useful to an extent but highly overrated IMHO.

I would only use Linux as a web server. Nothing else.

GuiltySpark
03-29-2002, 06:11 PM
Chances our microsoft will give everyone a free month of it or so. I mean that way they can get some people hooked on the joy of gaming online. besides 15, bucks a month will probaly be along the road. It might be 10.oo bucks a month or even 5 but later on it will rise alogn with the increase of amt. in online games.

l Maximus l
03-29-2002, 06:13 PM
I also think it would be a good idea to have a free trial period...say, the first three months or so...kind of like a "try before you buy" thing.

SnOoPy
03-29-2002, 06:45 PM
I also think it would be a good idea to have a free trial period...say, the first three months or so...kind of like a "try before you buy" thing.

I'm sure they will, they ahve to. Like AOL, sign up & get the first month free. MS has to have a free trial if they want people to sign up for the service. I hope its kind of like Tribe 2, you'll ahve your own in community email address, forum, news, buddy list ect: that would be cool.

Hehe, This is my 105 post, I didn't know I would of last this long in this forum :D

redrum237
03-29-2002, 07:07 PM
well i pay $19.99 a month for damn AOL and i hate it, im gonna switch to netzero or somethin cause its free (even though u can only go on for 10 hours a month, but i dont THINK i go on that much anyway) Anyway what im saying is if i pay that much for something i hate, then ill pay $15 for somthing i will (probley) love.

p.s. im pretty sure i read somewhere that "xbox live" will have a buddy list

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 07:10 PM
do you need to already have cable or dsl provider and then you hook the xbox to a special site and pay for that??

LynxFX
03-29-2002, 07:17 PM
Yes you need to already have a broadband connection. The cost of that isn't included in MS's online plan.

MethodZ
03-29-2002, 07:32 PM
so you need to pay 55$ forbroadband service maybe 15$ for microsoft and 50$ for a game that comes to about $74.17 thats a real rip they better make it free and you bought an xbox

SciFi
03-29-2002, 07:32 PM
ya, some free time is the best way to make this work...
i wanna see this b4 i pay for it...
:cool:

Hugh_Jass
03-29-2002, 07:42 PM
The big difference between PC games online and XBOX games online is that the game publishers pay for their own servers on the PC.

MS will be providing the servers for all XBOX games, regardless of who wrote them.

Servers aren't free. Fat pipes aren't free. People who maintain both don't work for free. Be that as it may, there is no way on God's green Earth that I'm paying $15/month to go online with my XBOX.

$5/month is as high as I'd go. Less would be better. Free would be very cool indeed.

baggachipz
03-29-2002, 10:37 PM

The first hit's always free :D

FuNkY mOnK
03-30-2002, 12:25 PM
I’m already paying msn 21.95 a month for there browser, I think we should be able to use our existing ISP, that’s the choice Sony’s giving. But until it happens, no need to get bent out of shape.

Kooster
03-30-2002, 12:45 PM
$14.95 is way too much. Do the math, that's $179.40 a year. Think of how much money Microsoft will be getting from each person paying this amount. If this rumor is true, then I'd rather play online games on my PC.

Snoopy7548
03-30-2002, 01:07 PM
yea, at least playing games online on your comp is free. microsoft doesnt need all this extra money, theyre the richest company in the world, they can just base the online service for the xbox off of their msn thing, so they wont need to add like a whole lot more bandwidth, etc. msn is already getting them alot of money, and alot of people are on it.

SciFi
03-30-2002, 02:39 PM
$100 yr. sounds ok....
$150 is pushing it, but remember who started this rumor...
this may be what the cairing ppl at nintendo wanted...

Snoopy7548
03-30-2002, 03:05 PM
yea, maybe nintendo started this because they knew microsofts online thing was gonna be good, and they just wanted to get the xbox owners mad, in hopes of them switchin to the gc, or something, but its probly true