PDA

View Full Version : Video Card

flipmode64
03-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Ok I bought a network card so i could play halo online and when i put it in i had to put it where the video card WAS so i put it there and moved my video card to antoher slot. But now my computer doesnt recognize my video card and i have 640x460 16 colors!!!!
NASTY
i think it doesnt know where the video card is
does anyone know how to fix this??
plz reply
thanks!

JJaX
03-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Check you device manger.
reinstall your video drivers

stang46
03-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Dude if you had an empty PCI slot to begin with why did you have to move your video card? A pci slot is a pci slot, is all spaced out and does'nt make a difference which pci slot your network card is in. However, since you already did it go download your video card drivers and reinstall them That should fix the problem.

wweomaniac
03-29-2002, 01:39 PM
First of all....

why r u using a gpu that uses the pci port??? I would buy one that is agp compatible. The agp port is much beter for video cards..

Now lets try to fix this:

1) Go to your video cards website and try and download some drivers for your video card... It should be plug and play... so its strange that the card wasn't detected in the first place and the drivers weren't installed from withiin

2) Make sure that the card is fit in the pci slot and nothing is popping out.

3) I had an isse like this. I was using Windows ME and all of a sudden, my computer only used 640x480 and 16 colours. This was just after I rebooted it. I tried reformatting, but nothing worked. Then for some reason.... the settings in my CMOS were chaged!!!!!! Stupid Windows ME. It just changed by itself, and mine wasn't the only incident known so far of this happening... SO ALSO check your CMOS to see that none of your video card settings have been changed.

Hugh_Jass
03-29-2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by stang46
A pci slot is a pci slot, is all spaced out and does'nt make a difference which pci slot your network card is in.

Not true. Some PCI slots share IRQs. A video card and a network card typically don't like sharing IRQs.

Check your user manual to see which slots share IRQs. Every motherboard is different.

stang46
03-29-2002, 08:10 PM
Yeah man I totally understand that, but that is nothing what he said. He said he had to put it where the video card was which makes no sense cause you gnerally put a pci vid card in the top pci slot which generally is assigned its own irq. Therefore, you would not want to move the vid card but instead move another card if IRQ sharing was the problem.

CyberBOMB
03-30-2002, 02:26 PM
if your video card was in a light brown slot then it was the AGP slot. put the video card back in there and the network card in the white slots.

unless your video card is PCI in which case you probably have to re-install your video card.

Daaaaaaaaaamn im good. hehehe

~nVidia~
03-30-2002, 05:44 PM
What is your video card?( brand who makes it )

and.....

What type of computer do you have?

ecco
03-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Not all motherboards have an AGP slot. All you need to do is look at whoever made your card's webpage, find the drivers, install, and reboot.