PDA

View Full Version : Mixed reports on Xbox sales?

Wreckless
03-29-2002, 03:49 PM
HERE:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/new_media/newsid_1900000/1900599.stm

Sales of Microsoft's games console Xbox are mixed across Europe, Japan and the US, according to reports.
Investment banking firm SoundView Technology Group has released a report stating that Microsoft is unlikely to meet its current sales targets for the Xbox, after weaker-than-expected sales in Japan and Europe.

The Xbox will have to challenge Sony's Playstation 2

But Microsoft has said it is happy with sales of the machine and that weekly replenishments of stock are ensuring that strong demand for the video game system is met.

"We are very pleased with the success of Xbox in Europe to date," said Sandy Duncan, Vice President, Xbox Europe.

"We're happy with the strength of Xbox sales... we're off to an incredibly strong start in Europe and gamers are obviously liking what they see."

'Great'

"We're more than pleased with the success of Xbox so far," said Toys R Us Divisional Director of Merchandise, Richard Barry.

The Xbox is on sale world-wide

"Sales have been great, especially considering it's March and not November.

"There has been a high software and accessories attach rate, which is also very encouraging."

Scott Dodkins, Senior VP, Activision Europe, said: "Sales of our launch titles Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions have exceeded our expectations, and we're looking forward to upcoming releases like Spiderman: The Movie."

According to statistical data from market researcher NPD Techworld, a total of 4.35 million Xboxes have been shipped across the world, mostly in America.

Microsoft's has said it hops to sell 4.5 to 6 million systems within the year.

'Hampered'

Although the machine has been an unequivocal success in the US, there are reports of slow sales in Europe and Japan.

"We believe a number of factors have hampered Xbox run rate in the March quarter," wrote SoundView analyst Mark Specker.

"We are looking for improved supply in the US market, acceleration from seasonally slow January and February months, as well as momentum from the E3 game expo this May," he said.

John Riccitiello, president of Electronic Arts, the world's biggest software firm, is reported to have said: "Microsoft has had its teeth kicked in, in both Europe and Japan."

Crazy Joe
03-29-2002, 03:55 PM
ya, i dunno what to believe either, Microsoft could be a little bit of a biased opinion, but who knows where anyone else gets their information. i don't know what to think!!

SnOoPy
03-29-2002, 04:54 PM
Sales of Microsoft's games console Xbox are mixed across Europe, Japan and the US, according to reports.

I agree with that I don't think they will meet the 45.-6 Million unit mark by the end of June, maybe 4 Million but not 6.

"Sales have been great, especially considering it's March and not November.

I agree people seem to forget that PS2 were release before christmas in Japan, USA & Europe 7 gamecube was release before christmas in the US & Japan so of course it sell better. I think XBox is doing good for it being release after the holiday season. Come this christmas we'll see how good it will do in Japan & Europe cause XBox will have more good games & ofcourse people would be buying XBox's for the holidays for gift.

For it being MS first system & a American system is doing good. PS1 didn't do all that great at launch and look what happen. XBox ain't going no where it has 3rd Party support, its own AAA games & money to back it up. Some might say 3DO, Jaguar didn't make it but XBox ain't 3DO & Jaguar cause XBox has good games .& 3rd party support unlike those other 2 consoles.

I think in 3 - 4 years PS2 will still be in the lead in this console war....

PS2 - 30 Million unti sold
XBox - 20 Million unit sold
Gamecube - 18 Million unit sold

This is just my prediction ;)

wweomaniac
03-29-2002, 06:40 PM
Yeah, Microsoft is obviously posting up inflated reports to the public. I don't think that they acheived what they were aiming for in most parts of Europe. I have seen a lot of newspaper articles aboot M$ having problems in Japan and Europe recently, and the Microsoft statement seems to be the only positive one aboot its sales figures.

I think I'll choose to believe that the sales aren't doing as well as the should be, and might pick up due to publicity. The major factor causing this is 1) Microsoft is new to the Europeans in video gaming, 2) The price is a lot more than PS2 and GC and those countries.

Hugh_Jass
03-29-2002, 07:57 PM
High numbers would be nice for bragging rights but beyond that I really don't care.

I don't need big numbers overseas to make me feel better about my purchase. I know the XBOX is the best console currently available.

MS isn't going anywhere. They have a huge diversified product line to weather any tough times down the road. The XBOX isn't going anywhere because MS sees this as a huge cash cow in a market where new PC sales are shrinking.

Don't worry. The XBOX will conquer all.