PDA

View Full Version : Xbox online with 56k modem?

wheatus-frog-uk
03-31-2002, 07:31 AM
Hi,

I would like to get my xbox online, however, i only have a 56k modem. Is there any chance on getting my xbox online with only a 56k modem. I know the xbox has a broadband modem in it, but does this stop me from using it through 56k. If it is possible to get online with a 56k modem, could you please explain how, and what i would need. I guess even if i can get online with a 56k, the game flow would be very very slow, so would it even be worth it with a 56k modem? Should i just wait for MS to officially launch xbox online?

thanks

dan

DaN_HiBiKi
03-31-2002, 07:33 AM
Yes it does prevent you.

First off, you'll lag. A lot.

Second off, Xbox has an ethernet port, thus, uses an ethernet cord.

GRAVEDIGGER
03-31-2002, 12:54 PM
So basicly what my dawg DAN is trying to say.."you scarred" Untill you get a high speed connection...yea i know it sux.

So with a 56K modem, pretty soon, you and that 56K will be occupying the third lot in my GRAVEYARD.
*Hence your delema*

Untill next time, the GRAVEDIGGER has spoken:mad:

JADE8704
03-31-2002, 05:02 PM
sorry bud, xbox is broadband-only...unless some 3rd party makes a 56k adapter...but i highly doubt it :)

LynxFX
03-31-2002, 05:05 PM
Well you can create a network with internet sharing using a 56k as your portal to the net. But don't do it. You just don't have enough bandwidth to play and you would bring down anyone you tried playing against.

AVXbox
03-31-2002, 08:30 PM
there is no way xbox will support 56kers. if they allow em in the future, its either going to be a lag fest or **** games cause of the low-bandwith

Frost
03-31-2002, 10:21 PM
If you want to see how bad you'll lag, go grap a copy of one of a recently released PC games (RTCW isn't a bad pick) and try playing it on the net. It just doesn't work. You'll have about a .25 fps. I know where you're coming from though. I won't be able to get a broadband connection for about another four years.

NomadLLama
03-31-2002, 11:33 PM
okay, well, i still have 56k and i sometimes can't play even Age of Empires II properly with it. even a simple game like that can't be played with 56k, so there's ur answer. hah, Halo with 56k. by the time u see it, u'll have died about 43 hours ago.

LynxFX
04-01-2002, 01:20 AM
Halo won't be supported on the MS online network. It was never meant to be played online which is why it still lags with all us Broadband users. It is meant for local lan play only.

Still doesn't mean that you would be able to get a decent game of one that is made for the network, ie. optimised for it, with a 56k connection.

I feel bad for the people that can't get broadband in their area but then again, not that bad. :) (I used to live up in the mountains 3 1/2 hours away from a city of only 20,000 people. That was considered the 'Big City')

sinizuh
04-01-2002, 01:43 AM
online gaming != 56k

if you don't want to pay extra for broadband, then don't even think about online gaming.

wheatus-frog-uk
04-01-2002, 02:30 AM
hey,

thanks for ur feedback guys. i guess i will just wait and see what happens when microsoft launch there official online plans. maybe i will get braodband then.

well thanks

dan