PDA

View Full Version : Hub??

spy_spirit
03-31-2002, 10:18 PM
I need help to choose a hub, switch, router...

Wich one you recommend me to play with gamespy tunnel?

(in preference a Netgear or Linksys)wich model?

HELP MEEEEE!:confused:

(low cost plz)

Do the SMC Dual Speed 5 Port Switch (Mfr. Part Number: 320635) work fine with the xbox and gamespy?

baggachipz
04-01-2002, 06:16 AM
http://shop1.outpost.com/category/Outpost/Networkingtab/Hub+&+Switches/

I have a linksys and it works fine. Cheap too.

JJaX
04-01-2002, 10:45 AM
Routers are more effiecient.

baggachipz
04-01-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Routers are more effiecient.

... and cost more.

JJaX
04-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by baggachipz

... and cost more.

Yeah a whole $9.99 more!!

Whoaaaaa, Better save my money for some mo chip right?!

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 11:27 AM
I have the "Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch"...works like a charm. If you play on Gamespy and you want to host your own game, just remember to disable the firewall. It costed about $49.99 :)

baggachipz
04-01-2002, 11:31 AM

Yeah a whole $9.99 more!!

Whoaaaaa, Better save my money for some mo chip right?!

If it's 19.99 vs. 29.99, then yes I'd say that's a decent amount more, Einstein. 50% more, in fact. If you read the original post you'd see that spy_spirit was concerned with price as well as performance. All they need is a hub, since it has fewer features and costs less.

JJaX
04-01-2002, 12:00 PM

If it's 19.99 vs. 29.99, then yes I'd say that's a decent amount more, Einstein. 50% more, in fact. If you read the original post you'd see that spy_spirit was concerned with price as well as performance. All they need is a hub, since it has fewer features and costs less.

I think 10 dollars for a more versatile and Effiecient piece of hardware would be the smarter choice. But i guess in you case, 2 extra hours on the job is a lot of time Eh?

baggachipz
04-01-2002, 12:15 PM
Money is not an issue for me; your mother pays me quite well. Even more than the allowance she gives you to buy your switches. :rolleyes:

Aren't you too young to be playing xbox? A ***Cube may be more your speed.

Snoopy7548
04-01-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I have the "Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch"...works like a charm. If you play on Gamespy and you want to host your own game, just remember to disable the firewall. It costed about $49.99 :)

i just got that in the mail today max!! it was 42 bucks. its so small, i havent hooked it up yet, ill probly get it hooked up this weekend, my friend has like 500 feet of cable, so hes gonna cut me some. i cant wait till i play my xbox online.:D

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548

i just got that in the mail today max!! it was 42 bucks. its so small, i havent hooked it up yet, ill probly get it hooked up this weekend, my friend has like 500 feet of cable, so hes gonna cut me some. i cant wait till i play my xbox online.:D

Nice, dude! Yes, it's pretty small...but, it's all you need! If you need help hooking up that mama jama, just give me a shout! See ya, bud!

CodeMonkey
04-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Well I think u should provide more information before a recommendation can be made. Most people seem to say a router, yet are u wanting to share an Internet connection? Or run a large number of computers? Because that its main purpose act as a proxy/gateway..
So if u don’t need to share your internet connection or have a lot of pc, than u are left with a hub or switch..
My choice would be a switch 10/100 and at least 5 port…switch is better for reducing the amount of collisions on the network and is more efficient when sending and receiving information..
So for this any switch would be fine, look for a cheap 1 cos u aren’t going to need a lot of fancy features by the sound it

Hope this helps

JJaX
04-01-2002, 03:13 PM
Bringing mothers into the conversation are we? And i need to grow Up? I let your pathetic post be your own device.

Fruit!

Money is not an issue for me; your mother pays me quite well. Even more than the allowance she gives you to buy your switches. :rolleyes:

Aren't you too young to be playing xbox? A ***Cube may be more your speed.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 03:15 PM
Personally, buying a router strictly to play your XBox on-line would be an overkill...unless you use the router for other computer networking purposes. Just my $0.02

baggachipz
04-01-2002, 03:25 PM
Bringing mothers into the conversation are we? And i need to grow Up? I let your pathetic post be your own device.

Fruit!

Just gotta speak in a language you can understand. The ol' "let your post speak for itself" line is a lame comeback when you have nothing else to say. Good day, loser. Tell Mom I say hi!;)

JJaX
04-01-2002, 03:29 PM

Just gotta speak in a language you can understand. The ol' "let your post speak for itself" line is a lame comeback when you have nothing else to say. Good day, loser. Tell Mom I say hi!;)

Real mature! Ohh noo! Baggachipz called me lame. I better go home and cry now eh??

Dude, Ill fuking kill you. You would'nt have the balls to say this s4it to my face. So i say Fuk it, Internet beef is as useless as pauly shore.

So im done if you are.......

Hugh_Jass
04-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Get the cheapest hub you can find. A switch will work, too, but with the traffic requirements of the XBOX a hub is all you need.

Here's a cheap one, for example:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/elementsources/soho5.html

sinizuh
04-01-2002, 03:57 PM
SMC switch? the one at futureshop? yea, i was thinking of that one... but i can find a cheaper HUB for like $29.99-$39.99 (canadian)

spy_spirit
04-01-2002, 04:47 PM
ok the Guys