PDA

View Full Version : Marriage Vs. Xbox

Lil B
04-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Alright all you married folk out there. Does you husband or wife continuously rip you a new one everytime turn your system on! Mine does! I'm entitled to a little me time, right! It's getting really hard deciding which to spend more time with. :mad: J/K
Anyone else with this problem?

xboxer2002
04-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Dude.
I know what you mean. The only time my wife enjoys when I turn on my Xbox is when I'm sticking in some sappy a$$ movie.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 01:31 PM
Well, I'm married...and, I've kinda noticed that my wife is supporting my gaming endeavor a little too much! Seriously! She gave me her blessing to get the XBox, get several games, and, most recently, a new 43" Toshiba HDTV to play them on! I wonder if she is trying to get rid of me!! hehe

Actually, my wife is really cool about everything...I just make sure I spend enough quality time with her and then play in the late evenings. Or, if I plan on having some buddies over, I give her a few days notice so it doesn't hit her as a surprise when they show up on my doorstep :D

Also, I find that playing in a seperate room other than the living room was the best thing I ever did! That way, she can watch TV and do other things without having to hear everyone yelling and having fun nor hear my compeition scream in pain as I blast them away with a rocket launcher or a plethera of grenades in a session of Halo :D

Spike Minoda
04-01-2002, 01:39 PM
Not true for me. My wife ROCKS at halo.
She actually beat the whole game on
legendary! :D No §hit! I have yet to accomplish the feat.

April Fools. I have no wife, just a girlfriend.
I have beaten 10 levels on legendary.
Dude, Maximus, that is how my girlfriend is when she is over. "Go ahead play in the bedroom. just keep it down" if you ever came over, that is what you'd expect to hear.:o

LynxFX
04-01-2002, 01:48 PM
My girlfriend is pretty cool about it. She does get mad every once in a while when I come to bed late because I've been playing. Sometimes I don't even mean to. I start the game at 11:30 expecting just a half hour of playing then before I know it, the clock strikes 3 AM.

Spike Minoda
04-01-2002, 01:54 PM
Ya know how they say when ou break up with a girl you give her half your stuff?:rolleyes: yah right.

i showed her this thread and she laughed. but she told me to tell you guys if we broke up she wanted my xbox.:eek: hah. i will just buy her one for her birthday. btw she only likes the dvd stuff.

Lil B
04-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Maximus I envy you!
Don't get me wrong my wife is great. I evey let her watch her shows on the big TV while I play on the 27 inch tube. I had to pull teeth just to get my xbox. Hell I even promised to quit smoking.

smack_roscoe
04-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Brother, I feel your pain.
My Gf brought me my xbox for xmas and since I'm there on my days off I keep it there(I got ps1 at home). Anyway, I was ok when I was playing DOA3 no big deal I could turn it off after 40 mins or so. Then I wouldn't touch the box for days. Then I decided to start playing HALO and ***** went down hill from there real quick!!! I literally could not stop playing the thing for HOURS. Addicted, you ain't kidding!
When I finished the game on Heroic she screamed "Praise Jesus" and did a victory jig right there in the living room. When I told her that I had another level to go(Legendary) she fixed me with a DEFCON 1 like glaze that froze my blood. I realized I had to do something quick! So I put down the game and took her to the bedroom and gave her some Down N Dirty hot monkey lovin!!! Yes, sir that did the trick.
Now if I want to play on the xbox, I go play with my Gf FIRST and avoid the drama.

Spike Minoda
04-01-2002, 01:58 PM
good solution smack!

Brevity
04-01-2002, 02:09 PM
@ first B4 my wife had time to have a hobby it was like hell playing games,,,for her was like having a paramour or something. Now she is like the best she came 15 miles to sit in my seat in line so I could go **** when I was waiting for the Xbox launch. We got a game room and every room is wired for Lan play so when the guys come over for gaming she makes us food trays and goes room to room w/drinks and food. This has been every since the year B4 the Xbox when I got a Big Pool table for the game room, then PD 4 sixty-four. She rocks she bought me a new Gforce and is letting me get a 27 or 32 HD Wega, this is a big deal since she let me buy a 55 in last summer so we really don’t need a new one. Anyway I will make this one of the few posts I tell my wife a/b and read to her. She deserves some real praise.http://www.gute-guete.de/images/Forum/Smiley/smlove2.gif Great idea 4 a post Dude!

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 04:42 PM
Lil B...dude, my biggest advice to you is to set your XBox up in a room that is away from the living room! Seriously! Also, the room must have a door and must be either insulated enough to where too much sound won't get back to where she normally likes to hang out, or just be far enough away or something. Seriously, dude...once I did this, all I have been getting is a lot of support from my wife! She's the best!

And, Brevity! Dude, that's cool, man! My wife does the same thing! She caters myself and my buddies with some tasty grub while we drink our beer and play Halo on-line!! It's nice!!

Spaztic
04-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Lil B...dude, my biggest advice to you is to set your XBox up in a room that is away from the living room!

Dude that is a great Idea now I hope she dosn't notice I swaped the big tv for the small one!

Lil B
04-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

Dude that is a great Idea now I hope she dosn't notice I swaped the big tv for the small one!

EXACTLY!!

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

lol...I know what you mean, dude! I actually left my nice 36" Toshiba S-Video TV to a 27" Sharp (Composite cable only) TV and the move really sucked at first! But, then, my wife gave me the blessing to replace that 27" Sharpe with my new 43" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV! Well worth the wait! :D

mahalan
04-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Maximus,

Wish I were as lucky. Actually, my problem is more me than her. I'm a hardcore workaholic/gamer which doesn't leave too much time for her. She's viewing my Xbox as yet another competitor for my time no matter what I do.

Things were actually okay until BO2 came out. RPGs are my downfall. I hate to see what happens when Morrowind is released.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by mahalan
Maximus,

Wish I were as lucky. Actually, my problem is more me than her. I'm a hardcore workaholic/gamer which doesn't leave too much time for her. She's viewing my Xbox as yet another competitor for my time no matter what I do.

Things were actually okay until BO2 came out. RPGs are my downfall. I hate to see what happens when Morrowind is released.

I hear you loud and clear, Mahalan....my only advice is to play later in the evenings...that's what I do and all is great. And, you know how I pull this off? I simply have dinner with my wife, like normal...then we watch TV...and when it's "time" (to go play XBox), I gently toggle the button onto Animal Planet then slip away ever so graciously :D Works like a charm!! It's as if she never knew I left! lol :D

Man, I should copyright some of this stuff.... ;)

Lil B
04-02-2002, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Lethaldose12
I love spending time with my girlfriend but hey guys need some space and some alone time. She gets on me every now and then but overall shes pretty cool bout me playin. Women shop and guys watch football, drink beer and play video games. If u dont do at least one of those three things in my opinion your less of a man and should check your sexuality.

And if you do all three then you are an alpha male!

Guibs
04-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Well My Fiancee (soon to be wife) is managing my "hobby" the best she can. What plays for me is that I work during the day and she works during the night, which let me, to be honest, enough time for my gaming fix even if at times (new game, etc) I'd love to get more. She understand that it's my hobby and that she'll never change me (even if she tries at times ;) ). I bought an Xbox because we are saving for an house next year and the xbox was a cheaper solution to a 3000$ new PC. For that part, she gave me her blessing for the Xbox (I know some of you will laugh when we say we needed the gilfriend/fiancee/wife blessing to by something to us but really, you need to live what it's like to be in a couple :D ).

Anyway, When she is here, I can at times play. Of course, I only have one big quality TV in the appartement (JVC 27" D-series in the living room) so when ever she whats her TV shows, I get to do some catch up over my computer (now playing Jedi Knight II, it was a relief to know the game doesn't run that bad on my old computer). We have some occasionnal fun togheter with the Xbox. Sometimes , I can convince her to play JSRF multiplayer with me and I recently bought DAO3 (yeah I am late on that one) and we have been enjoying it togheter 1 vs 1 (I play jann lee and she plays Himote). Of course, I don't go and beat her up badly, but since DAO3 can be fun for beginner because it's easy to pick up, she suprised me a few times and won a few matches.

Anyway, buttom line, She's ok with my hobby (almost a way of life in fact) but I sure have to spend lots of quality time togheter or I get the "GLARE" at times...

clintb
04-03-2002, 12:25 PM
My wife is extremely cool about the XBOX. Only time that she may say something is when my bud comes over and we play Halo for 8hrs or more. That in itself is pretty crazy. We walk out of my theater room and feel like we've missed part of the world's evolution.

I think Maximus has it down pretty good. Give them some attention early on in the evening, some closeness in front of the tv (or bedroom), then onto the Holy Grail of gaming.

I only wish my wife would get into some of the games. Just doesn't interest her in the least. Bummer.

NsomniA
04-03-2002, 01:44 PM
My girlfriend and I have no problems when it comes to Xbox. She loves Oddworld and even asked me to show her how to play THPS after I helped her make a custom skater of herself. She just laughs when I say I'll go to sleep after one more game.

l Maximus l
04-03-2002, 01:54 PM
I know from the earlier posts I have makes it sound like it's picture book easy...but, I finally figured out what is going on.

Women, for some reason, have a tendency to think that if a dude wants to play games then it must mean "He would rather play games over hanging out with me" followed by a *sniffle sniffle*. :rolleyes:

Of course dudes don't play games because "they would rather do that than hanging out with their wife or girlfriend". To me, that's ridiculous. It's just that women need to understand that dudes just need time to themselves...be dudes....do dude things. Besides, after "dude time", it ends up being an amazing time next time you hang out with the "better half" (wife or girlfriend). Just my $0.02. I wish, however, there was a universal way to accomplish it!!! :D

Spike Minoda
04-03-2002, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I know from the earlier posts I have makes it sound like it's picture book easy...but, I finally figured out what is going on.

Women, for some reason, have a tendency to think that if a dude wants to play games then it must mean "He would rather play games over hanging out with me" followed by a *sniffle sniffle*. :rolleyes:

Of course dudes don't play games because "they would rather do that than hanging out with their wife or girlfriend". To me, that's ridiculous. It's just that women need to understand that dudes just need time to themselves...be dudes....do dude things. Besides, after "dude time", it ends up being an amazing time next time you hang out with the "better half" (wife or girlfriend). Just my $0.02. I wish, however, there was a universal way to accomplish it!!! :D

what do you mean $0.02

l Maximus l
04-03-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by DanieLudacris

what do you mean $0.02

lol...it's just an expression. It's okay if you didn't know. But, when I say "just my $0.02", which also can be said "Just my two cents", it simply means "Just my take on things" or "I just wanted to offer my insight".

That's all, dude :)

Donaldson
04-03-2002, 09:33 PM
My GF gets mad when my friends come over and we play bc she thinks (and I probably actually do) ignore her. But when we are in my room alone she will ask me to play TH3. I guess since she bought me the XBox and 2 of my games she likes to watch me get enjoyment out of it. I even convinced her to play TH3 the other night eventhough her favorite game is still Simpson's Road Rage (which I bought for her). So my advice is to buy her a kiddie/girly game to play--that is what partially helped me. For awhile she was almost as addicted to Simpson's as I was/am to Halo.

jschelm
04-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by clintb

I only wish my wife would get into some of the games. Just doesn't interest her in the least. Bummer.

That is the boat I am in with my GF, and it sounds kinda *** out of context, but I really hope that someone comes out with a good girly game for her to play. She likes some of the old N64 games and stuff, but the XBox games are too skill oriented for her. I am sure that will come in time though.

DZNUTZ
04-04-2002, 01:41 PM
my friends have actually accused me before of making my girl stay in my room when i have company over! lol....she'd rather just lay in bed w/ my cat then watch us cavemen...guzzle beer, smoke herb...and watch sports and play vids. i try and check on her from time to time ( mostly during my pee breaks) and i'll give her a quick smooch...or a quick something else. but thats about all i can do...hey i'm a young (even though i got a girl) not tied down man...and its my house and my $$$... so i should enjoy my life. i'm pretty straight forward with girls though....when i meet em i say..hey this is how i am....if ya want to be with me bad enuff...except it now...cuz if ya gonna have probs....kick rocks!!
honestly is the best policy!! and that way...no dumb fights down the road.