PDA

View Full Version : Good Debate!!!

~nVidia~
04-01-2002, 02:26 PM
There have been rumors about how bad Xbox sales have gone.

So, people are speculating price cut on the Xbox by next year!!

So, what do you think?

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 02:29 PM
It doesn't make sense for Microsoft to cut the price. They are already losing approximately $150 per console...So, my vote is no.

~nVidia~
04-01-2002, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I voted hell no for the same reason Max.

But.....

I'm still surprised people are thinking they will cut the price already!!! ( Must be PoS2 fanboys or Lamecube!!! Who nows? )

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I heard that Sony is going to drop the PoS2 down to $199.99. To me, that makes the most sense since they will make up the hardware costs on all the add-ons it needs! :D

LynxFX
04-01-2002, 02:48 PM
Last I heard is that MS is losing approximately $30 per console now. Much lower than the $100-$150 estimate of when it was launched.

I can see a price drop to stay competitive. I don't expect a full $100 drop though. They can keep on saying that you don't need addons like you do with the PS2.

~nVidia~
04-01-2002, 02:54 PM
One thing that the Microsoft can do is advertise more!!!

I haven't seen a Xbox commercial in ages!!!

DZNUTZ
04-01-2002, 02:56 PM
i don't belive it....no way....not gonna happen....

hey...rome wasn't built in a day....and neither will xbox's fanbase....but i'm sho i'm not the only gamer here that buys all the systems.(or most) and IMO..xbox is the new king of the hill....a rookie monster stepping into the ring and making a good name for themselves... only time will tell...but if xbox keeps on the path its been on...it will claim the title and be the ALI of videogame consoles....THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!!! lord knows the other systems just can't really offer what the xbox does at this point.

on a side note...did any see the newest egm cover story on resident evil?!?!? amn that baby is looking SAAAAAWEEEEEEET!!!
i might have to go buy a kiddycube a lil earlier than anticipated.
(BE EASY ON ME FELLAS):confused:

terrapin
04-01-2002, 03:04 PM
I don't think Microsoft would lower the price of the Xbox. One reason...online gaming. If they can create the network and have it working as they claim by mid summer with the release of several online capatible games there should be an increased demand for the Xbox. This should justify the cost of the current price of the Xbox even if Sony lowers the price of the PS2 by $50 or less.

But I also think that Microsoft is skating on thin ice and doesn't have much room for error. If they mess up and online gaming is delayed or the game quality isn't there they will need to lower the price to attract more consumers.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 03:06 PM
I mean, the XBox has so much more than PS2 and Gamecube. The XBox the following features that the other two don't:

1. Broadband built in - on-line gaming is the future
2. Four Controller ports (GameCube does, but, PS2 doesn't)
3. System Link capability - to maximize multi-player gaming
4. DVD capability (PS2 does, but, Gamecube doesn't).
5. Hard-drive for game saves
6. Hard-drive for ripping your own music to listen to as the background music while playing selective games.
7. 733 M Processor (three times the processing power of the PS2 and double the processing power of the GameCube)
8. nVidia Graphics card (more powerful than a GeForce 4...not by much, though).

All for the same price as the PS2 and only $100 more than a GameCube. No way Microsoft should lower the price. It's worth every penny.

DZNUTZ
04-01-2002, 03:16 PM
u forgot....

longest controller cords availble
break away feature on cords so your drunk friends don't trip and take your 300 dollar , best purchase eva, baby down with them
2 periphiral slots on the controller
up comming voice communication head set with voice recignition and altering abilities (damn that baby is gonna be SICCCC)

and if i had a nickel for evertime i listed these facts along w/ maximus's....i'd have enuff to buys some new XBOX GAMES

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
u forgot....

longest controller cords availble
break away feature on cords so your drunk friends don't trip and take your 300 dollar , best purchase eva, baby down with them
2 periphiral slots on the controller
up comming voice communication head set with voice recignition and altering abilities (damn that baby is gonna be SICCCC)

and if i had a nickel for evertime i listed these facts along w/ maximus's....i'd have enuff to buys some new XBOX GAMES

Excellent points! Yes, I failed to mention those...I mean, there is so many more reasons to buy an XBox over a PS2 or GameCube that it's easy to forget about what we really have! The future is only going to be brighter and brighter for the mean black and green machine :D

Hugh_Jass
04-01-2002, 03:50 PM
It's expensive to be competitive in this market. It is conceivable that MS might lower the price by $50 in time for Christmas. Look how quickly the GBA went down by 20%...and they have a lock on the handheld market.

We have already seen the XBOX bundled with AMPED. In effect, that is a price cut because it's only $10 more than a regular XBOX.

It wouldn't surprise me if MS sweetens the deal. They may not lower the price of the XBOX, but maybe they'll throw in a 2nd controller, a DVD playback kit, or another game.

MS will do whatever it takes to be #1. Half of that equation is making sure we have the best games to play. The other half is putting an XBOX in front of every television.

sinizuh
04-01-2002, 03:54 PM
yea... during E3, Sony will lower PS2 price to $199.99 (american)

but then you buy the modem/HD, and you're back at the original price...

and it's rumored that Sony is going to come out with a PS2 w/ HD/modem combo.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
We have already seen the XBOX bundled with AMPED. In effect, that is a price cut because it's only $10 more than a regular XBOX.

Wow, I didn't know that! Cool...where did you see that, buddy?

E Nomini Patri
04-01-2002, 04:06 PM
I can't believe you guys! You forgot the biggest thing the X-Box has that the PoS2 and the Lamecube don't have: Halo! |-|O\/\/ could you forget Halo?! I don't think the price of the X-Box will be cut anytime soon. This doesn't bother me one bit since I already have one. :D

wweomaniac
04-01-2002, 04:12 PM
I think that price cuts for game consoles usually happen after 2 years, unless the console is under bad sales. PS2 hasn't fallen in price yet and I don't remember n64 falling in price till its second year. Sega DC fell after a year because sales were lacking and people just didn't like their system. Now its fallen by more than 200%!! I hope XBOX doesn't fall in price within the next year because why should new xbox users pay less for what I paid more for ??? :)

TheDorfler
04-01-2002, 05:29 PM
MS's plan is to match PS2 dollar for dollar. Billy boy ain't stupid. Everything he loses in concoles he more than makes up for in the games. All consoles lose money, fact of life, but Billy did it all on purpose, he wants Sony's share, and if he keeps it up, he will get it. The idea is why pay the same for a product that is less powerful, makes sense.

E-Xbox
04-01-2002, 05:55 PM
HELLL NOOOOOO!!!!

~nVidia~
04-01-2002, 06:11 PM
Looks like people think the Xbox price will not be dropped by next year.

Keep up the votes and posts~!!

Hugh_Jass
04-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Wow, I didn't know that! Cool...where did you see that, buddy?

I think I read it on this very board. I believe the package is available in Canada.

Highlite23
04-01-2002, 09:33 PM
12 months does not a system make, i would be shocked if MS drops the price.

Think about the games that will be available on this sytem around x-mas, and on-line play will be in full swing, with games.

The Xbox is going to be "THE" system to have next holiday season.

NO way is the price going down, i would think around the middle of 2004 when XB2 starts becoming more than just a rumor.

jschelm
04-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Don't forget one thing though guys....Microsoft could give away every XBox system and the company would not get hurt. We are talking about one of the richest companies in the world with billions of dollars to play with so if they decide they are better served with a cheaper console they will do it, despite costs.

Crazy Joe
04-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by jschelm
Don't forget one thing though guys....Microsoft could give away every XBox system and the company would not get hurt. We are talking about one of the richest companies in the world with billions of dollars to play with so if they decide they are better served with a cheaper console they will do it, despite costs.

Just because they can afford to drop prices ridiculously low, doesn't mean they want to. Like someone said earlier, Billy ain't stupid, he wants his company to be making money, or at least losing as little as possible. It's possible that the price may drop with the PS2, but i doubt it, PS2 has already been out for a year and a half, no need to drop the Xbox price after 6 months.

jschelm
04-01-2002, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

Just because they can afford to drop prices ridiculously low, doesn't mean they want to. Like someone said earlier, Billy ain't stupid, he wants his company to be making money, or at least losing as little as possible. It's possible that the price may drop with the PS2, but i doubt it, PS2 has already been out for a year and a half, no need to drop the Xbox price after 6 months.

I totally agree...and I said that in my post...If Gates feels that MS will be better served. I was just saying that because people were saying that the reason that the price won't fall is because they are already losing money, but that will have no impact on the decision. At least I don't think so. Also when it comes to making money if he can all but eliminate the competition then the developers will want all the games to be XBox games and the cash will roll in.

LynxFX
04-01-2002, 10:52 PM
I still say it will happen. Probably just before the holiday season. The point isn't to make money off of the console but to build the fanbase and get people to buy the games. By then the parts to make the Xbox will be under $300 so it won't be a big deal financially to them. Plus Bill comes from the PC world. The world were prices change daily. He isn't coming into the console world to play by console rules. We probably won't have to wait 5 years for Xbox 2 either. Bill upped the ante and I'm sure is waiting to see what moves Sony and Nintendo make.