PDA

View Full Version : What would you change about the Xbox?

~nVidia~
04-01-2002, 05:07 PM
So what would you?

I know some of yall kight say nothing, but think harder.

I would say we could put our own graphic card in.

You know, when cards get better, we could make our graphics even better.

But then it might be hard to develop for.

So what would you change?

PS: I'm am not saying the Xbox is bad.

l Maximus l
04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
No offense, dude...but, putting a new graphics card in won't improve existing games one bit. The nVidia graphics card is far more powerful and capable of providing graphics than all of the graphical capability of every game out combined. That may be a stretch...but, no game comes close to maximizing the nVidia graphics card...not even close.

However, I have thought of one thing I would change, however, it's not the system itself. I would change to make it an absolute requirement that all games support 1080i and/or 720p.

mahalan
04-01-2002, 05:16 PM
I'd like to see consoles generally upgradeable. The ability to swap out the processor, motherboard, and video cards would be great.

TheDorfler
04-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Design your own paint job.:)

LynxFX
04-01-2002, 05:34 PM
Actually I think it is the non-upgradeability about consoles which make them so appealing. It means that the developers can develope for one set of hardware specs and learn it inside and out. Find out how to cheat and push it and basically exploit everything it has to offer. If you make the console upgradeable like graphicswise, that means now the developer has to design a scalable game like on the PC. One that will work with the high end card and the low end card. This ultimately will hurt one of them everytime a game is released. Not cool. Plus they have to learn how to program for the new card and the learning curve starts all over again. The only way this works if they make the next gen system backwards compatible, ie PS2. Very smart IMO.

What I would like to change:

I'm with Maximus. Give us the 1080i and 720p games. Make them all support 16x9 and all do true DD 5.1. None of this half assed 4.0 stuff that most games seem to be. This should be part of MS quality control.

I would have liked to have a VGA port or DV-I port on the xbox.

E-Xbox
04-01-2002, 05:53 PM
change....
the price....
of the games.....
hehe...

peace....

Plewis
04-01-2002, 06:10 PM
I think the loadtimes should be quicker... it doesnt really bother me, but thats one of the only things GCN does better than xbox.

datalink7
04-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Allow transfer of MP3's to the XBOX.

Master Gracey
04-01-2002, 06:58 PM
Nothing much about Xbox, except that whole better resolution thing. We have an HDTV, and I'd like to see a game that makes good use of it.

The only other thing I would change isn't about the Box itself... it's the games.

***Steps onto the soapbox***

We need some good, original games. I don't mean games that aren't ports, because I like ports if they're done well (like Silent Hill 2 and unlike Agent Under Fire.) I'm just talking about games with tons of replay value that you don't get bored with easily. STORYLINES ARE ALSO IMPORTANT!!!!! Too many developers seem to be forgetting this. I never have to think hard when I ask the question "Where have I seen this before?" It's always obvious, and most of the time there are multiple answers.

***Steps down from the soapbox***

SciFi
04-01-2002, 08:47 PM
i'de say that the Xbox ought to read MP3's and all CDRW...
I also agree with MG...
We need more HALOquality games that you can replay for months...

Cobra69
04-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Honestly there is very little that I would change on the Xbox because it is already so great lol

but all good things do have there flaws and xbox has very little of them but one is that it should be able to play cd r music or even mp3's that woud make it the cd player feature a lot better.

It also takes a long a time to put a cd on u box.

one again these are very small things and i do not mind not having them

chili325
04-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Theres honestly not much, but one thing that seriosly ****es me off is the way that if u unplug it for any amount of time, you have to reset time and date settings.

NomadLLama
04-01-2002, 09:39 PM
i would change a couple things about the xbox.

first, i would like to be able to upgrade it. i know that most people do not like to upgrade, but lets say it was not extreme, every month upgrading. say something like every 20 months, something new comes out, but just something minor, just to battle with the competition, like the xbox needs to tho.

second, i would love, if it could run some computer games, i don't care if their only microsoft, but that would be pretty cool.

third, even tho this may just come put later, i would like to see "better" games. games that aren't dissed by even the most hard core fans of the xbox. get rid of stuff like Kabuki Warriors. and we also need more original games. we have stuff like Dead or Alive 3, Silent Hill 2, Morrowind, JSRF. nonetheless these games are good (no one has played Morrowind yet), but it would be better if games started life on xbox.

Plewis
04-01-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by NomadLLama
i would change a couple things about the xbox.

first, i would like to be able to upgrade it. i know that most people do not like to upgrade, but lets say it was not extreme, every month upgrading. say something like every 20 months, something new comes out, but just something minor, just to battle with the competition, like the xbox needs to tho.

kinda like how u could buy a new memory expansion for the N64 right? And no one ever said it would be impossible to upgrade ur xbox... I didnt think i could upgrade my N64;)

Crazy Joe
04-01-2002, 11:26 PM
the cds could copy a little bit faster, i guess. loading times are ok, at the beginning of NFL Fever it seems to take forever though, i wouldn't mind changing that.

overall, it's pretty F**KIN' AWESOME!!

xbaaddict
04-01-2002, 11:31 PM
well not that this is bad or n e thing but my xbox has froze up on me like 4 times, but i can expect that you know i mean its like a computer and computers do freeze i mean its their nature!

In the end it doesn't even matter.

jaiturima
04-02-2002, 08:26 AM
I think the left hand joy stick should be positioned where the d -pad is ,its not logical they should be at the same height because there used in conjunction with eachother.
I think they just thought it would look to similar to the ps2 controller.

Spaztic
04-02-2002, 10:14 AM
make the black and white buttons a little easier to reach, and have a sensor so before my cat rubs himself on the xbox a stream of gasoline soaks him and then the xbox lights him up! Talk about all in one entertainment box!:D

cornflake
04-02-2002, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by bryanhls
make the black and white buttons a little easier to reach, and have a sensor so before my cat rubs himself on the xbox a stream of gasoline soaks him and then the xbox lights him up! Talk about all in one entertainment box!:D

lol i think the CD's should copy a lil faster thats about it for me oh and when my sisters redneck friends try to play it...
xbox a stream of gasoline soaks him and then the xbox lights him up! Talk about all in one entertainment box!:D

Spike Minoda
04-02-2002, 10:40 AM
i's be changin the 733MhZ to a 1.5GhZ

Shadow Fox
04-02-2002, 11:32 AM
Only things I would change about Xbox is it's RAM allocation, and FSB, so loadtimes would be as fast as the CAV drive was designed for, and change the texture bandwidth to at least 10gb/sec so the HD wouldn't be needed for anything but expansive memory.

That, and make the standard Xbox controller the "S" version...

-Official Ninja of XboxAddict

LINKINPARK8591
04-02-2002, 04:54 PM
the only thing that i think i would change is to make it able to play music and mp3 like Cobra69 says http://fan.quasi-evil.com/mb/gallery/mb18.jpg she's fine

JimmieDoogan
04-02-2002, 05:34 PM
The size of the machine. Other than that, its perfect. Its just a little big and heavy. Not so much that its a problem, but I would prefer to have it the size of the cube or smaller (DC size is perfect). Its just that being a person below a GOOD tax bracket I have little space in my home. That which I do have is already cluttered by my lil TV, Receiver, Cable Box, VCR and DVD player. I moved my PoS2 into the computer room and hooked it up to the TV in there and put my Xbox in its place, but it takes up thrice the space the PoS2 did as I had it on its side.

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
The size of the machine. Other than that, its perfect. Its just a little big and heavy. Not so much that its a problem, but I would prefer to have it the size of the cube or smaller (DC size is perfect). Its just that being a person below a GOOD tax bracket I have little space in my home. That which I do have is already cluttered by my lil TV, Receiver, Cable Box, VCR and DVD player. I moved my PoS2 into the computer room and hooked it up to the TV in there and put my Xbox in its place, but it takes up thrice the space the PoS2 did as I had it on its side.

Well, one thing I appreciate about the XBox's size is that it resembles the size of a standard VCR, therefore, the XBox doesn't look tacky sitting on an entertainment stand compared to a purple cube. Just my opinion. I also like the fact that it's black, though, a silver XBox would be a cool option, too, for those who have silver electronic appliances :)

JimmieDoogan
04-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Agreed. It looks like an integral part of my system. But like I said, for me, it takes up too much space. Hell, both my VCR and my DVD player are WAY smaller than my Xbox. Hell, my Xbox's size is akin to that of my Reciever (A MONSTER OF AN ITEM). That scares me just a little bit. I hope the next Xbox isn't so big. X2 should be smaller. Even if its just sleeker, just slightly trimmed (just a little). AND NO I DON'T WANT IT TO SIT ON ITS SIDE LIKE POS2 ;) . BUT I LOVE MY XBOX... PLEASE BELIVE ME!... :)

clintb
04-03-2002, 12:09 PM
Definately the widescreen and 1080i part of the video.
CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 compatability.
Maybe reconfigure so that it more resembles high-end audio/video gear.
Longer, yes I know they're already long, controller cables. Or, extension cables, but I'm not sure since I think they're based on USB and would have a limitation of around 16 feet.

Kill some of the lag in Halo at the power generators and other various points. That's not really a big one and may be more of a software coding thing.

SciFi
04-03-2002, 05:49 PM
you ca always paint it silver...;)

Mabus
04-03-2002, 06:29 PM
I would throw in a AMD athlon 2100+ XP
ha ya, the box would be like another $450 tho

FaTBoi702
04-03-2002, 10:33 PM
put the newest athlon processor in