PDA

View Full Version : XBox frames per second

dude
04-02-2002, 06:37 AM
When I first saw game reviews for the Xbox i was attracted by the high detail AND high frames per second. However, now having played Amped Freestyle snowboarding and getting some crappy 20fps, I have lost enthusiasm. do most xbox games have this crappy fps. Is Halo any better?

i have seen one game (, dead or alive?) with a good detail/fps combo. Can anyone restore my enthusiasm?? which xbox games have good fps?

GokuX
04-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Mmm Rallisport is a great example of excellent graphics. No scratch that it has absolutely amazing graphics, and high fps, the sense of speed it conveys is right on. I've not noticed any slowdown in it. If it doesn't restore your faith in the Xbox's graphical abilites, then you've just got problems. Jet Set Radio Future has a nice high framerate, there's occasional slowdown sometimes, but their is alot of crud on screen which it handles just fine like 95% of the time. PGR looks great and has a consistently high framerate. Halo runs at 30fps pretty much the whole game, it only drops in certain spots where you'd have a lot of things on screen, but my goodness the detail is amazing. The graphics in WWF Raw are amazing as well. The intros for the wrestlers are very realistic. You better get to renting pal. Maybe a purchase or two.

fear_this
04-02-2002, 09:45 AM
I, myself dont think that Amped has as much quality as any other game. That is like one of the few Xbox games that is hard to control. But Dead or Alive 3 and Halo are much better then Amped. If you dont trust me then maybeyou should go and rent a game. But the better game from the 2 is Halo. Dead or Alive gets boring fast but its a good Multiplayer game. And Halo, 30 ++++ Hours of great gameplay. :)

Spaztic
04-02-2002, 09:50 AM
I don't know about you dude but I have not noticed the framerate problem. Like GokuX said it is time to get renting! I don't think any of the games comming out in the future will have this problem, since developers now know the specs of the xbox!

LynxFX
04-02-2002, 10:43 AM
Amped at 20 fps? I don't think so.

Most Xbox games are locked in at 30 fps while some are said to be up at 60 fps. I'm not sure on which actually do 60 though.

LynxFX
04-02-2002, 10:47 AM
Project Gotham Racing is one game that runs at 60fps.

JJaX
04-02-2002, 10:54 AM
THPS3 looks like 60 FPS too.

LynxFX
04-02-2002, 11:01 AM
Airforce Delta Storm - 60 fps
Jet Set Radio Future - 60 fps
Gun Valkyrie - 60 fps
Abe's Oddysee - 30 fps
Mad Dash - 30 fps
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2X - 30 fps
NFL Fever - 60 fps
Project Gotham 60 fps
Azurik - 60 fps
Amped - 60 fps
Halo - 30 fps
New Legends - 30 fps
F1 (Racing) - 30 fps
Nascar Heat - 60 fps
DOA3 -60 fps
Bloodwake -60 fps
SSX Tricky -60fps

A few I found.

Edit, Screwed up the numbers. Get this Amped is actually 60pfs. LOL. 20 my ass. I play this game in all of its widescreen glory. It is beautiful and never a hickup. The menus look like crap though. ;)

Hugh_Jass
04-02-2002, 01:19 PM
As good as RSC is, I was still a little disappointed by the graphics. I don't think the screenshots are truly representative of the game. You don't even goot smooth lines in replay mode.

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Wow, I'm really surprised with some of the posts on this thread. I have both Amped and Rallisport and both look jaw dropping on my Widescreen Toshiba HDTV running on Component Video cables. Graphically, both games are hard to compete with...they both have jaw dropping detail and don't even give me the slightest hicup in frame rate.

DZNUTZ
04-02-2002, 01:38 PM
oh sorry...i was just cleaning off my face........................................................since max decided to rub it the fact that he has a widscreen hdtv running on component video cables!!!!

damn max..i'm eXtrodinarily jealous now....what size is your widescreen?...how much did it set u back?

i have an old skool big ash back projection tv....the outside screen is kinda dirty (and can't be cleaned) ....i've noticed much crisper the graphics are when i played my xbox on a smaller tube t.v. alone.....i couldn't imagine how sweet it looks on a t.v. of the caliber you own max.

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
oh sorry...i was just cleaning off my face........................................................since max decided to rub it the fact that he has a widscreen hdtv running on component video cables!!!!

damn max..i'm eXtrodinarily jealous now....what size is your widescreen?...how much did it set u back?

i have an old skool big ash back projection tv....the outside screen is kinda dirty (and can't be cleaned) ....i've noticed much crisper the graphics are when i played my xbox on a smaller tube t.v. alone.....i couldn't imagine how sweet it looks on a t.v. of the caliber you own max.

Dude...lol...sorry man! I didn't mean to rub it in, chief! I just find it humorous when some people mock graphics, however, at the same time they are playing on a 13" black and white TV!! Okay, I am exaggerating, but, I think you get the picture!

My Toshiba Widescreen HDTV is 43". Perfect size for the room that I have it in. I could have gone up to the 50", however, it would have been a little too big and would have swallowed the room up. I wanted it to be a perfect size. And, man! Playing on this thing is jaw dropping! It's really strange to play on a tube after playing on this... I don't mean to sound like a jerk or anything, though!!! I just remember going from my 36" Toshiba S-Video TV and got kicked out of my living room to go and play on my 27" Sharpe that only has composite video...and that was a huge blow to my gaming pleasure! But, with this relatively new purchase of my new 43" Widescreen HDTV by Toshiba, it more than made up for everything! I'm in gaming euphoria with this thing! I hope to share some pics after I get my custom entertainment stand so I can show you dudes! :D

GRAVEDIGGER
04-02-2002, 02:40 PM
Lol...Curses man...thats quite the T.V system there Maximus!

And what i wanna know is how did "dude" see Apmed running at 20fps?!..lol..dam man, u sure that you we'rent just dislexic for a few moments?

Untill next time...:mad:

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by GRAVEDIGGER
And what i wanna know is how did "dude" see Apmed running at 20fps?!..lol..dam man, u sure that you we'rent just dislexic for a few moments?

Untill next time...:mad:

I hear ya, man..I guess "dude" needs to stop playing his XBox while cranked on high heat in his mircowave! :D

dude
04-03-2002, 05:59 AM
cool fps stats.

my mate currently aint getting 60fps on AmpedFreestyleSnowboardin.

"a widscreen hdtv running on component video cables". others may but i have no problems with u being a rich ass maximus. so If i buy component video cables wil that increase the fps? [i am serious i want my 60FPS].

more info>>
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10262

E-Vader
04-03-2002, 06:09 AM
Has anyone tried playing their Xbox on a front projection unit?
I was thinking of getting one.

(sorry dude I canna help you with Amped I dunna have it lol:D)

Mr.XboxLover
04-03-2002, 06:10 AM
If you want to see a game with naff frame rates check out Obi-Wan!

Mr.XboxLover

P.s. Maximus.... I want your TV!!!The motto of the stry kids is #only in america#

dude
04-03-2002, 06:18 AM
i have seen amped run > 30fps (on an mpeg i downloaded from some american site www.gamespot.com).

But i have also seen amped run < 30 fps.
(at the shop and at my mates place)

does component video effect the fps? why the difference in performance ?? i live in australia,, maybe you americans have given us aussies crap xboxes?? lol

Rancey
04-03-2002, 07:09 AM
Having component hook up won't affect your frames, other than exagerating I wouldn't know how you'd get 20 fps. I live in Australia and have Amped, I would agree it runs at 60 fps.

Hugh_Jass
04-03-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by E-Vader
I was thinking of getting one.

Lynxfx and I both use DLP projectors. I've never even tried my XBOX on a regular TV.

LynxFX
04-03-2002, 11:10 AM
i have seen amped run > 30fps (on an mpeg i downloaded from some american site www.gamespot.com).

What the heck can you tell from an mpeg in reguards to frames per seconds? :rolleyes:

But i have also seen amped run < 30 fps.
(at the shop and at my mates place)

Well, since we are all using the same game on the exact same hardware and we all experience a smooth 60fps I think that is utter BS as well.

Sorry dude, I don't know what you are seeing. I do know some Aussies that play Amped and no complaints from them, like Rochey69.

clintb
04-03-2002, 11:51 AM
This discussion just became moot once the playback of an mpeg on a pc was mentioned. Judging a game by the mpeg playback surely has no bearing on what an xbox can or can't do. My PIII-600 laptop can't play as smoothly as the AthlonXP 1.9 that I have and wouldn't dare to compare that to my xbox any day of the week.

Now. When you bring up what you may think the framerates during actual gameplay may be, that's a different story, but not at all accurate. Unless you have a benchmarking tool that's telling you current, maximum or average framerates, there's no degree of accuracy whatsoever.

Sounds pretty squidly to me.

And yes, widescreen kicks ass! Especially when you've got a dedicated room and 5.1 sound behind it. Glad to see ya joined the club Maximus.

NsomniA
04-03-2002, 01:49 PM

I used to have a projector that I used for games. My advice is to make sure you have something good for a screen. None of this hanging a sheet stuff. Makes all the difference.

LynxFX
04-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Actually blackout material can be used as a screen that can compete with any of the 1 to 1.5gain Dalite screens and it is a fraction of the cost.

Definately don't waste your time with a bed sheet though. :)

l Maximus l
04-03-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by clintb
And yes, widescreen kicks ass! Especially when you've got a dedicated room and 5.1 sound behind it. Glad to see ya joined the club Maximus.

Thanks, bud! But, now I just need 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS!! :eek:

I will, though...just give me a little time :D

dude
04-04-2002, 12:13 AM
yes mpegs cant give fps , but a perfectly smooth mpeg (running at ~30fps) would imply at least ~30fps on amped.

60fps = perfectly smooth .

when you go offcourse (or when you fly pass a glass window) in Amped, is it perfectly smooth? :: it doesnt CURRENTLY look perfectly smooth on a sony 100hz tv. having component video cables shouldnt effect the fps...? i am tryna work out why it is not smooth on my friend's setup...

thnks pplz

LynxFX
04-04-2002, 02:48 PM
I don't know dude. Still you can't use an mpeg as a reference. So scratch that.

Cables shouldn't be a problem or affect frame rate. The only thing I can think of is if it is having problems syncing with your tv. I've been playing Amped for over 4 months, using component cables and I haven't had a problem. This is even in widescreen, so more data is being drawn on the screen than on a regular 4x3 set. (Amped is true 16x9 when widescreen is enabled in the dashboard).

I've never experienced the slow downs you talk about and I've done plenty of out of bounds boarding and trails through the trees. I'll check out going by some windows, not many in the game, and see if that affects anything.

I'm guessing it is some sort of syncing problem.

dude
04-05-2002, 09:42 PM
Thanks everyone I was wrong. The reason I thought there was such a low fps (20!) was because the his tv (and the other i saw Amped on) is large but only displays a low resolution (480i). This makes the image appear less smooth.

you can only use an mpeg as a reference if the fps of the video/game is significantly lower than the fps of the mpeg. yeah?

His Tv supports component video so he went and bought a high definition pack anyway (besides, its got optical out!). Thanks for the help Lynxfx. what he really needs is yours and maximus' wide screen ;)

LynxFX
04-05-2002, 11:13 PM
No problem dude. Glad you got it worked out.

Just remember though, you can NEVER use an mpeg as a reference for frame per second unless the mpeg is of a video that has a fps counter running in the game itself like old Quake II demos.

dude
04-06-2002, 09:24 PM
cheers Lynxfx.

what i mean is if u have a game running at 2fps . then you take a video of that game running at 2fps and compress it to mpeg 1. you would notice when u watch the mpeg that the game wasnt running at 30fps. yeah?

LynxFX
04-07-2002, 03:36 AM
Now that is something I think you could notice in an mpeg. :)

dude
04-08-2002, 01:59 AM
lol