PDA

View Full Version : I need some expert advice.

FuNkY mOnK
04-02-2002, 11:56 AM
Ok, I’m getting ready to have cable Internet installed for the big day when MS launches its online service for the xbox, here’s my question, I’m only getting one IP, and each additional IP costs extra, meaning more than one person can log on at the same time, with me so far, how can I or is it possible to only have one IP,with multiple users. Thanks.

JJaX
04-02-2002, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Ok, I’m getting ready to have cable Internet installed for the big day when MS launches its online service for the xbox, here’s my question, I’m only getting one IP, and each additional IP costs extra, meaning more than one person can log on at the same time, with me so far, how can I or is it possible to only have one IP,with multiple users. Thanks.

You can network multiple users to your broadband connection. But the more users you have the less bandwith each gets.

Im just guessing though....

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 12:07 PM
If you use a Switch, all you need is one IP. I have the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch...I only need one IP address with it regardless to what I hook up to it. So, that's a good solution... :) Of course other switches will do the same

Brevity
04-02-2002, 12:35 PM
Max is right again. Just use a router or something like it to get more than 1 on @ a time. Its easy as killing Max in Halo.haha

Crazy Joe
04-02-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
If you use a Switch, all you need is one IP. I have the Linksys 10/100 Workgroup Switch...I only need one IP address with it regardless to what I hook up to it. So, that's a good solution... :) Of course other switches will do the same

Of course, that would be cheating your high speed internet provider, and you wouldn't want to do that would you?:D

darianX
04-02-2002, 12:52 PM
Just get a Linksys router and tell it to be a DHCP server, then set up your machines to use DHCP. Easy as cake.

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
Max is right again. Just use a router or something like it to get more than 1 on @ a time. Its easy as killing Max in Halo.haha

hehehe...Dude, we need to play again...first, let me host, then you host :D Oh man, I can't wait to smoke you AGAIN! :D

Kooster
04-02-2002, 12:56 PM
If you're going to share broadband internet, I've heard not to get a hub because it will slow it down. Personally, I have 3 computers and an Xbox, and I'm getting a router. I've heard they're the best for multiple computers.

darianX
04-02-2002, 01:02 PM
Naaa, a hub won't slow anything down...we have 3 of em here at work and everything moves zippy fast, including games (on lunch hours of course.... )

Brevity
04-02-2002, 01:04 PM
Siiimmmerrrr Doowwnnn Naawww. I only do that to rile you. I have said it once and I will say it again,,,,I will kill you! No what I ment to say was MAX is a great Halo player. He will own U if you play in his house(him hosting). And maybe even if he goes on your terms. Your the best @ giving info on all sorts of stuff and well I love you. errr na more like,,,,thinking reasonably like you! not the mark. Anyway thanks for all your help and please dont get mad at me or well just me. Friends?http://www.gute-guete.de/images/Forum/Smiley/cheers.gif

Hugh_Jass
04-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Your provider may allow more than one IP per customer.

My provider (Charter Communications) allows three IPs per customer.

Be that as it may, I still use a router and some switches because there are six PCs and three Internet appliances in my house. Add the XBOX to the mix if I join XBOXLive.

FuNkY mOnK
04-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Thanks guys for your advice, so a router seems to be the way to go, how do you tell a router to be DHCP? And will I need this also for my xbox to work? Also will I need the software that originally came for the First IP? Or will any browser work? is there any reason to feel overwhelmed, I never did this kind of thing and don’t want to be depended on the cable guy. :)

l Maximus l
04-02-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
Siiimmmerrrr Doowwnnn Naawww. I only do that to rile you. I have said it once and I will say it again,,,,I will kill you! No what I ment to say was MAX is a great Halo player. He will own U if you play in his house(him hosting). And maybe even if he goes on your terms. Your the best @ giving info on all sorts of stuff and well I love you. errr na more like,,,,thinking reasonably like you! not the mark. Anyway thanks for all your help and please dont get mad at me or well just me. Friends?http://www.gute-guete.de/images/Forum/Smiley/cheers.gif

lol, Brevity! Did you think I was mad? Wow! Sweet!! I never got mad before! I just turn into a raging animal when I play Halo, though :D

hehe...dude, we need to play again...I was just saying that it would be cool if you hosted a game and then I hosted a game...make it even.

I played Silvertrace, who is on the East Coast...and he claims to "own" the East Coast in Halo. We played 1 v 1 on the same level and same rules. The level was Hang Em High with no radar. That was the only modification. I hosted first and I won 15-3. When he hosted, he won 15-5, so, it was pretty even. Funny thing was, there wasn't much lag...just a little, but, it goes to show how much of an advantage the host has when you're that far away!!

As for playing against people on the same coast, I played last night against a dude that thought he was a bad ass at Halo that was in California. He hosted the game and I ended up winning 25-18. Yes, he was really good! But, I came out on top! :D

DZNUTZ
04-02-2002, 03:10 PM
i'min the same boat you are funky monk...i just signed up for dsl (mainly because of xboxonline) and i'm uncertain about all these variables.....hopefully it won't be to hard. (or ya'll might see me in here in a month or so asking hella tech ?'s)

GokuX
04-02-2002, 03:50 PM
Funky Monky

Thanks guys for your advice, so a router seems to be the way to go, how do you tell a router to be DHCP? And will I need this also for my xbox to work? Also will I need the software that originally came for the First IP? Or will any browser work? is there any reason to feel overwhelmed, I never did this kind of thing and don’t want to be depended on the cable guy.

Well I know how it works with a LinkSys router. The settings for the router itself are accessed via an internet browser by typing the router IP address in your browser location bar. A page will come up with all sorts of options so you can configure your router to meet your needs. It's not complicated as long as you just use the manual that comes with the router. It's a pretty straightforward operation. Basically, one computer is gonna have the IP address or Workgroup computer name which assigns the address automatically if you have @home. That's the first computer. The second computer will obtain the address given by the router 192...... etc. The main computer doesn't affect the second one getting the IP once the router is configured. After configuration the router does the rest of the work. As long as you have a browser be it IE, Netscape, Opera, etc. you should be ok. It's easy to feel overwhelmed but once you actually get everything you need, ie the router, network cables, etc. and actually get down to setting it up, its no big deal. You may run into problems, but after looking through the manual you should be clear provided you have all the cables and equipment set up properly. One thing is for sure, it will be worth the trouble when you can have multiple connections.