PDA

View Full Version : some Vexx info (if ya care)

DZNUTZ
04-03-2002, 11:59 AM
as of a month ago it was not hard to see which console was winning the “Who has more platform games” category, it took both my hands and a foot to count the ones on the PS2 while it took only one finger to count the platform games on my beautiful Xbox. While Crash Bandicoot was in no way shabby it didn’t hit home with me like I was hoping for. Acclaim has come to my rescue with the development of a platform/adventure game titled Vexx. Although it sounds like something from the Star Trek Universe this colorful game is all the opposite.

From the looks of the environments Vexx’s first impression is that it will end up in my “games for people under 10” pile, but with a closer look it sparks my interest as much as Super Mario 64 back five years ago. Not only is the main character Vexx is a far cry from a kids doll he has this spark about him that reminds me of a Bart Simpson character, at least Bart Simpson wielding some badass (Kain) style gauntlets on his hands. These gauntlet style gloves will play a huge and most interesting part in the game.

They are called “Astani Battle Gauntlets” and they will help our character do everything from climb up a wall to attack the nearest enemy. The gauntlets will also allow Vexx to obtain and perform a number of special powers; hopefully we will learn more about these around E3 time. Remember in Zelda 64 how the time of day would change from day to night, well Vexx has the same feature except beefed up about ten fold. Not only will the actual on screen world around you change as night falls but your enemies will become much more aggressive and more difficult to defeat. The sunset and sunrise is controlled for the most part by the computer but our hero Vexx will be able to manipulate it to some extent using hidden sundials found all over the world.

Features:
18 extraordinary levels span tree canopy villages, mysterious caves, desert temples, underwater cities, deadly volcanoes, and more.
Hidden multi-player party games unlocked as players progress through the single player world.
Free climbing mode allows players to climb uneven surfaces and dangle beneath overhangs.
Each level's distinguishing landmark can be viewed from anywhere in the world in real-time.
Day and night cycles with real-time lighting. Nighttime changes the landscape and characters: enemies become more aggressive and the environments become more hostile.
Ultra-responsive player control that reacts instantly to player inputs: gamers can cancel a move midway through and fire off extensive combo attacks.
Advanced environment mapping produce reflections, glows, and highlights on Vexx's metal gloves and knee guards.
Clothes, hair, and trees respond dynamically to the environment.
Highly flexible cinematic camera system.
Epic soundtrack and stunning 3D surround sound effects featuring Dolby 5.1.
The story for this platform game is quite interesting. The world you will be playing on is called Astara and the inhabitants of this planet are basic, peaceful farmers. That is until the Shadowraith titled “Dark Yabu” begins to wreak havic on the planet. A young rebellious teenager (Vexx) will set out on his destined journey to save his home planet. As his battles continue Vexx will begin to realize the true power of the “Dark Yabu” and start to understand what he truly must do as well as to develop the deep powers hiding inside of him.

There are more than a few interesting characters Vexx will interact with during his quest, most notable is his elderly mentor, Darby. Darby will help Vexx throughout the game as well as throw in a small comical element with his quirky responses and smartass way of speaking. Others include Reia, his faithful sidekick, and of course the main enemy of the game, Yabu. Vexx will also come in contact with many villagers that will lead Vexx in the right direction and help him out of jams. There are four sections of the planet that Vexx will venture into, Dragons Reach, Submarilis, Summit of the Sages, and lastly The Below, all with their own distinct look and feel.

Acclaims game may sound more like a 3D-Adventure title and in some aspects it is but the movement of your hero will throw the game into the Platform category instantly. Vexx is being simultaneously released on all three systems (Xbox, PS2, Gamecube) don’t worry too much because Acclaim has stated that they will take full use of the Xbox’s graphical power. Expect more advanced dynamic lighting effects, better reflection mapping, and a more useful camera system then on the other consoles. Look at the screenshots, beautiful use of colors and lighting, fantasy style backgrounds, great looking character models, just to mention a few top end graphical features.

The game will be released in October of 2002 and I am looking forward to a near complete version at this year’s E3. All you platform fans out there, me included, need to be on the watch out for this one, its going to be a hit.

follow link for screen shots

http://www.teamxbox.com/content.php?id=311