PDA

View Full Version : Halo 50Hz

CodeMonkey
04-03-2002, 01:12 PM
I was reading somewhere a while back that halo has been optimised to run better at 50hz then at 60. Does any1 know if this is true or not?

Also what price did you people pay for your Xbox?

I got mine for £285……………….

NsomniA
04-03-2002, 01:18 PM
HALO was originally written for 60Hz which is NTSC 30fps. They had to change a bunch of tags to make it work at 50Hz PAL 25fps. That's why you can play system link or online games with NTSC and PAL versions together.

Ninja Scroll
04-03-2002, 01:20 PM
well in America Xbox runs for a MSRP of $299.99 and all games are from $39.99-$49.99!

I would have paid $100.00 for Halo if it was that much!:)

How much do the games go for in the UK (prices)?

mattcoxonline
04-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Nah, Halo runs better at 50hz because at 60hz, when it passes a checkpoint the game shows a bit of slowdown, but at 50hz, it doesn't seem to....

Also, I recommend getting an RGB SCART if you haven't got one. The quality is soooo much better, especially on Project Gotham Racing.

I spent £450 - odd quid and that covers:

Xbox Console
2nd Controller
Halo
PGR
DOA3
DVD Kit (with glows in the dark - snazzy)
And an RGB Scart. (after launch)

I think that's all. If not, I'll update you. :D

CodeMonkey
04-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Ninja i can get the games in the uk for £35 which rocks
as the RRP is £44

Crazy Joe
04-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by NsomniA
HALO was originally written for 60Hz which is NTSC 30fps. They had to change a bunch of tags to make it work at 50Hz PAL 25fps. That's why you can play system link or online games with NTSC and PAL versions together.

I assume you meant to say that's why you CAN'T play system link or online with NTSC and PAL versions together. If not, then you are mistaken, as you can't.

CodeMonkey
04-03-2002, 02:32 PM
So as it stands if I have halo at 50hz I could not play any1 of u guys on multiplayer. correct?....
so if I change my settings to 60hz will everything be fine then?
In other words I could play anyone with NTSC? Or am I bound to PAL to PAL games only

Afro Aura
04-03-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

I assume you meant to say that's why you CAN'T play system link or online with NTSC and PAL versions together. If not, then you are mistaken, as you can't.
I'm not that sure about system link, if both machines are working at 60hz then I don't see any problem there in the UK we have PAL 60hz

CodeMonkey
04-03-2002, 02:45 PM
The only real reason why I’m concerned is when I was playing using gamespy tunnel software, and it would not let me some games, but had no problems with others. Now I was not sure if this was because of the software or some lame arse not knowing what he was doing, but after a few nanoseconds of thinking I thought it maybe because I had it set on 50hz, which I stated above my reasons for this.

Crazy Joe
04-03-2002, 02:54 PM
no PAL boxes can only link with PAL boxes and NTSC with NTSC. It's not just the framerates, it's the different tags.

This was discussed sometime earlier in this thread, take a look at it:

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9998&highlight=gamespy+discovery

CodeMonkey
04-03-2002, 03:41 PM
Cheers for the link and sorry to post this for wasting ya time

But I must say that its very Disappointing news...as it all depends how popular game spy is with my fellow Brits and with our Australian friends......which may mess my gaming pleasure online. The funny thing is, i was playing with some guys from Sweeden....well im guessing it was Sweden as that was the name of their server and i had no probs....

thanks for ya help ppl

Crazy Joe
04-03-2002, 03:57 PM
don't worry about it, that thread was probably buried, you would have never seen it. your welcome for the info.

Malachi
04-03-2002, 05:38 PM
The Xbox sells for an RRP of $649 here (Australia) but most places sell it for around $629-ish where I am. (Places like Big W, Target, Kmart etc.). It's a whole big price war thing going on in my town (yes, I said town) at the moment! :)

Games are anywhere from $85 to $99. But you must realise that these are AU dollars.....roughly 1 Australian dollar to US 50 cents. :D