PDA

View Full Version : 350W Dolby Digital 5.1 system $188

Hugh_Jass
04-04-2002, 08:23 AM
I've seen inexpensive home theater packages before, but I've never seen one with this much power. At 60W/channel and a 50W sub this would be enough juice for a medium-sized room.
If you've got a 12x12 space (or less) you might want to jump on this deal. Dolby Digital 5.1 makes a huge difference (especially for movies).

Philips MX955 350W Home Theatre Minisystem (http://www.us.buy.com/retail/clearance/product.asp?sku=70005305)

JJaX
04-04-2002, 08:27 AM
Whoa, Thats dirt cheap for 5.1

Thanks Hugh_Jass!

I might have to cop this.....

Can i go somewhere to pick one up, Or it this a online order only thing?

thejoker
04-04-2002, 08:36 AM
Thanks Hugh_Jass... I think I'm going to talk my wife in letting me get this. It's PAYDAY WEEKEND!!!!!

Nice system for the price...:)

Later,

JJaX
04-04-2002, 09:04 AM
$50.77 bucks for shipping???

AcK!

Is there a store i can jsut go to and ask if they have the Philips MX955 Home Theatre Minisystem?

The Wiz??

JJaX
04-04-2002, 09:30 AM
I found it for cheaper and $18.00 shipping

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electroniczhouse/philipsmx955.html

JJaX
04-04-2002, 09:42 AM
Now i just gotta wait a few days for my new mini theater. Thanks for the find Hugh!

Highlite23
04-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
I found it for cheaper and $18.00 shipping

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electroniczhouse/philipsmx955.html

Hey, you may want to check and sewe if it's a reconditioned system. Look on the site i think it said it was. Just trying to help.

JJaX
04-04-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by highlite23

Hey, you may want to check and sewe if it's a reconditioned system. Look on the site i think it said it was. Just trying to help.

Eh? Didnt notice that.

*Smacks Self in face*

Oh well, im sure it will be fine.......

Spaztic
04-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Dude Jaxx thanks for the link! I just picked one up....they are so cheep! I looked at some reviews and the people said that video game, and movies sound is great for the price they paid they would highly reccommend it! I have bought quite a few reconditioned pieces of hardware and I have never had a problem with them so I really don't see a problem! I will let you all know how it turns out once I get it.

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Eh? Didnt notice that.

*Smacks Self in face*

Oh well, im sure it will be fine.......

I wouldn't worry about it if it's reconditioned. It will stll be as good as new. In fact, it will probably be better, in a way, because you KNOW it will work when it arrives at your door :)

cookie
04-04-2002, 03:14 PM
i picked up an Aiwa 5.1 digital package for $169 at BJ"s wholesale, but I don't think they have them anymore. The system has 450 watts of power and a pretty nice subwoofer. It is actually a nicer system than the Phillips if you can find one. Link below is the item, but more than I paid for it and mine was brand new not refurbished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1342827981

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cookie
i picked up an Aiwa 5.1 digital package for $169 at BJ"s wholesale, but I don't think they have them anymore. The system has 450 watts of power and a pretty nice subwoofer. It is actually a nicer system than the Phillips if you can find one. Link below is the item, but more than I paid for it and mine was brand new not refurbished.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1342827981

That's not a bad receiver...except, if it's not refurbished, then why does it say "may include pin sized nicks or scratches"? Just curious. Also, in a perfect world, I want a receiver that has atleast two optical inputs...one for the XBox and the other for a DVD player, when I get one :)

E-Xbox
04-04-2002, 08:21 PM
i think ill have to tell ma rents to get this *****e!

peace...

JJaX
04-05-2002, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by bryanhls
Dude Jaxx thanks for the link! I just picked one up....they are so cheep! I looked at some reviews and the people said that video game, and movies sound is great for the price they paid they would highly reccommend it! I have bought quite a few reconditioned pieces of hardware and I have never had a problem with them so I really don't see a problem! I will let you all know how it turns out once I get it.

I dont wanna steal Hugh_jass Shine. He's the one that found the whole deal......

I just found it for cheaper ;)

JJaX
04-09-2002, 07:42 AM
i got mine last night and its sweet.

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 10:22 AM
i got mine last night and its sweet.

I just got mine today, can't wait to get it home and tear it apart. How is the sound quality, does it get pretty loud? I heard the sub is awsome? How do you rate it?

JJaX
04-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Well this is my first 5.1 so i cant compare it. But the sound is real crisp and the sub rattles the enitire apartment :D

I was playing Halo, And on 343 guilty spark the elevators were making the walls shake. Good stuff man.

becareful though, Mine for some reason did not come with Audio/Video wires so i had to run out real quick and pick some up. But other than that its great.

Put it this way, Its better than i thought it would be, best 150.00 bucks i spent in a while.

Also, If you want it to be even louder you could always buy bookshelf speakers and put those in the front. But im happy with what it came with. Plenty LouD!

TAke your time too, Lots of wires and things can get messy :D

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 10:32 AM
Cool, Thanks man, Its nice to see someone post a replay quickly....you the man!

JJaX
04-09-2002, 10:35 AM
Cool, Thanks man, Its nice to see someone post a replay quickly....you the man!

JJaX throws up a thumbs Up

:cool: BLING!!! :cool:

Hugh_Jass
04-09-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you. Happy 5.1! :D

JJaX
04-09-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
I'm glad it worked out for you. Happy 5.1! :D

thanks for informing Us Hugh_jass.

Cant wait to go home and blast that thing

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Hugh_Jass thanks for the info, I appriciate it!

pounder
04-09-2002, 07:42 PM
yeah man good stuff..5.1 is the shiat..I just blew 2500 canadian on my home theatre..but im not one who likes to upgrade..so i go all out the first time..halo in DD is amazing..just wish we could get some DTS going in the games..but i doubt they ever will..or be able too

CALzinger
04-09-2002, 09:08 PM
might i reccomend a company, BOSE is the greatest surround sound system in my opinion. i dont know the exact statistics of all those technical stuff, but believe me, its good. there are probably better sound systems than BOSE for gaming, but BOSE is the greatest sound system for music and DVDs!!! YES!! ITS THE GREATEST FOR DVDS!!! but you need a bitstream/PCM cable to make it sound real good. just suggestions for your piece of mind...

LynxFX
04-09-2002, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by CALzinger
might i reccomend a company, BOSE is the greatest surround sound system in my opinion. i dont know the exact statistics of all those technical stuff, but believe me, its good. there are probably better sound systems than BOSE for gaming, but BOSE is the greatest sound system for music and DVDs!!! YES!! ITS THE GREATEST FOR DVDS!!! but you need a bitstream/PCM cable to make it sound real good. just suggestions for your piece of mind...

My I counter that recommendation by saying that BOSE is the worst speaker for the money EVER in the audio industry. They are poorly built, poorly designed, and perform poorly outside (and I would say even inside) their special demo area.

There is a saying in the A/V world.

"No Highs, No Lows, Get Bose"

You can get a system that would blow the water out of a Bose system for half the price.

So do I need to repeat it?

Ok I will just to help out those poor people that might get caught up in the well rehearsed sales pitch from a Bose salesperson.

Do not waste your money on anything with the brand name BOSE written on the side. You will thank me later. I guarantee it. Infact I bet that $150 5.1 system you guys got in this thread performs at the same level as the $1500 Acoustimas systems.

LynxFX
04-09-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by CALzinger
i dont know the exact statistics of all those technical stuff, but believe me, its good.

Sorry I reread that and it made me laugh because Bose doesn't even know the technical specs of their speakers. Well I take that back, they know but good luck ever getting it out of them.

shererboat
04-10-2002, 08:09 AM
i know bose is good for car audio, but ive never actually heard bose home audio......personally, i like kenwood for home audio.........

JJaX
04-10-2002, 12:47 PM
one more thing..

Dont forget to set your xbox to 5.1 in the dashboard.....

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 12:53 PM
I might have to pick up a 5.1 DD SS soon. I mean, really soon!

As for Bose, I understand that they are good for music only...not for listening while watching DVD movies. I heard a Bose system in person...and, while I was impressed, I wasn't more impressed with it compared to my father's surround sound system...I believe he has the same one that is on sale that Hugh kindly posted for us :)

LynxFX
04-10-2002, 03:55 PM
Bose isn't even good for music listening. That is where having accuracy and range really matters and Bose has neither. Besides the fact that they are priced 20x more than what they are worth.

Their car audio isn't as bad as their home audio gear. But in a car you are also setup pretty much the only way Bose can sound good and that is in a small enclosed area, just like their demo areas.

Bose actually won a contract from the government to make noise cancelation headphones for the Navy and Air Force. They won the contract mostly because of their supposedly good name which they created by very good marketing. Well they built these headphones out of old scrap parts that they had excess of and sold them to the government for $1100 each. They didn't work at all. Now there is a warehouse filled with about a million of these things. You will notice in some magazines now that Bose is selling them to the general public for around $300. They say it is good for plane travel (which they were designed for but didn't cancel out the noise).

It just shows that with good marketing you can sell just about anything no matter how bad it actually is.

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Bose isn't even good for music listening. That is where having accuracy and range really matters and Bose has neither. Besides the fact that they are priced 20x more than what they are worth.

Their car audio isn't as bad as their home audio gear. But in a car you are also setup pretty much the only way Bose can sound good and that is in a small enclosed area, just like their demo areas.

Bose actually won a contract from the government to make noise cancelation headphones for the Navy and Air Force. They won the contract mostly because of their supposedly good name which they created by very good marketing. Well they built these headphones out of old scrap parts that they had excess of and sold them to the government for $1100 each. They didn't work at all. Now there is a warehouse filled with about a million of these things. You will notice in some magazines now that Bose is selling them to the general public for around $300. They say it is good for plane travel (which they were designed for but didn't cancel out the noise).

It just shows that with good marketing you can sell just about anything no matter how bad it actually is.

Wow, Lynxfx...May I guess that you owned some Bose Speakers at one time and took them back? :D

LynxFX
04-10-2002, 05:33 PM
hehe, Luckily no. I used to think that those were the speakers to get and couldn't wait to save up to buy them. Then I started getting the straight dope on them and auditioned them in various environments as well as some peoples homes. I was shocked at the difference. When you only hear Bose with their specific demos that are hand chosen by the Bose people and it is shown in their special Bose area with no other speakers around to do a side by side comparison you might actually think that they sound pretty good. But then when you get some 'real' speakers to compare them with then you see the difference. I would love to play The Haunting DTS on a Bose system and watch it bottom out in just the main menus.

I'm just trying to save people that have always heard that Bose was a good speaker make some money and frustration later on. I thank the people that explained it to me all the time. :)

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
hehe, Luckily no. I used to think that those were the speakers to get and couldn't wait to save up to buy them. Then I started getting the straight dope on them and auditioned them in various environments as well as some peoples homes. I was shocked at the difference. When you only hear Bose with their specific demos that are hand chosen by the Bose people and it is shown in their special Bose area with no other speakers around to do a side by side comparison you might actually think that they sound pretty good. But then when you get some 'real' speakers to compare them with then you see the difference. I would love to play The Haunting DTS on a Bose system and watch it bottom out in just the main menus.

I'm just trying to save people that have always heard that Bose was a good speaker make some money and frustration later on. I thank the people that explained it to me all the time. :)

hehe...of course, I was just kidding about earlier. Actually, I take you very seriously when it comes to your views with Audio and Video...especially you, Hugh_Jass, Frosty, and TheMentorsXBox to name a few others.

I really want to get a 5.1 DD SS really bad, however, I don't want to break the bank. I mean, financially, I'm doing fine, however, I know for a fact that my wife won't go for something that is allegedly "top rated" only because of the price tag. Maybe you can help me out...

I have a room in my house that I am changing from a den into a multi-media room. Currently, I have a turn of the century desk (really nice...looks like brand new...probably worth a lot!!) and I have my computer and a desk chair. Also, I have my 43" HDTV, soon to be replaced with a 50" HDTV, as you already know, and I want to put an entertainment stand that is the same color as the desk. I found one that is sweet that has silver colored doors and handles, approximately, the same color as my HDTV! Should look really sharp.

The room is entered from glass french doors and there is a window that is approximately 4 x 5 feet in there as well. I was planning on covering both the window and the french glass doors with some sort of velvet curtains to mask off all the light. Since the room is the same size as a den (roughly 12 x 15 feet), would you think a boxed bundle set of a 5.1 DD SS system would do fine?

DBXNY
04-10-2002, 06:18 PM
Lynxfx,

I agree hole-heartedly. Except I learned more from hands-on experience than what folks told me:(.

I Gotta admit though, Bose usually sounds better than practically anything in a Best Buy store (except maybe some JBLs). But they don't stand a chance against other speakers in their price range-like a pair of Paradigms, Klipsch, Definitive Technology, or NHTs, etc.

I'm personally in love with some Paradigms. Can wait to get to Canada to get some this summer.:)

Spaztic
04-11-2002, 11:33 AM

My father bought a bose system for about $1500.....Well to tell you the least like lynxFx said no highs and no lows. The system was really dissappointing....My father quickly returned the system and got a awia home theater in a box for less then 400 and it included a reciever. Well to say the least it outpreformed the bose hands down! Don't buy BOSE it is a POS in a box!

On another note...I just got my theater in a box deal from this thread....I have never really owned a theater setup but I have heard a couple high end systems. I am highly impressed! The sound is absolutly awsome! The sub is definatly above average. It makes my floor shake! This system outperforms the bose and awia system my father has. I highly reccomend it! It is more then enough for me. Only issue I have is that the reciever, on the case has a bend in it but since it is not noticible unless you inspect it very closely. The reciever works fine otherwise.

Quick question to whoever wants to anwser! when I turn my reciever on the sound dosn't come on instantly. It takes a second, I hear a click then the sound comes on. I think this is normal, does this happen with other recievers that others own?

DBXNY
04-11-2002, 11:57 AM

Quick question to whoever wants to anwser! when I turn my reciever on the sound dosn't come on instantly. It takes a second, I hear a click then the sound comes on. I think this is normal, does this happen with other recievers that others own?

Probably normal. Most a/v recievers have built-in protection circuits. When you first turn it on, it checks to see that it's not being overloaded. If all is ok, it works fine. If not, then it'll shut off and go into protection mode.

JJaX
04-11-2002, 12:04 PM

Thats normal, it will click then about a second later the sound kicks in.

Dont forget to go into the setting and set the speaker distances and everything to your liking. I prefer the "Sorround sound prologic"

I faded the center speaker to +40 and everything else is +50. And i kepe the sub half-way up and the vloume around 22-25 i think. Also dont forget to go into the Xbox dashboad and adjust your audio settings to 5.1