PDA

View Full Version : how much memory do you have left?

Wu3000
04-04-2002, 11:14 AM
i was just wondering if anyone has saved enough games to make there 50,000+ change to something else.

i have saves from all my games, halo, knockout kings, and thps3 and saves from everygame i have ever rented and it still says 50,000+.

its not important but i just wanted to know.
if yours is less than 50,000+ then how many game saves do you have.

wu

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 11:18 AM
Man, I have 11 games and over 100 full CD tracks copied to my XBox and it still says 50,000+ blocks!

Apparently, 8 gigs is plenty! :D

DZNUTZ
04-04-2002, 11:25 AM
me to...i have well over 100 cd tracks, tons of games....still 50k plus..... damn xbox rules!

E-Xbox
04-04-2002, 02:17 PM
i think the hd...
has bout 345,000 blocks ...
peace

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 02:20 PM
It would be cool if someone wanted to waist their time and try and fill up the Hard Drive with CD uploads on the Xbox.
Im pretty curious to know, but im not gonna try it myself.

Master Gracey
04-04-2002, 02:24 PM
All I know is that it's a beast... I have 234 tracks in there (totaling over 950 minutes), all my TH2X saved games, parks, skaters and replays, all my TH3 save games and skaters, my Silent Hill save games and about 40 Munch's Oddysee save games. My brother has nearly 100 Halo save games (don't ask why... I can't even figure that out) plus all of his save games of Bloodwake and Azurik, not to mention the saved seasons of all his 6 sports games (yawn...)

With all of that, it still says 50K+. I know the hard drive is 8 gigs, but how much memory is one of these "blocks". Blocks is such a cryptic term.

JJaX
04-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
It would be cool if someone wanted to waist their time and try and fill up the Hard Drive with CD uploads on the Xbox.
Im pretty curious to know, but im not gonna try it myself.

Its been done before. Take a Audio sound track and dupilcate it. Then dupluicate that, then duplicate that Etc.....

12 tracks
24 tracks
48 tracks
96 tracks
192 tracks

keeps doubling until full.

LINKINPARK8591
04-04-2002, 02:34 PM
i wanted to add a soundtrack to the xbox but i didn't want to use up all the memory so i decided not to and now u guys say that it won't change how much memory it has............................are u guys for reals i mean i have saved games from my games and it still say it has total memory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but to have soudtrackz on it too wouldn't that take up to much memory......are u guyz sure it wont hog up memory with cd soundtracks copied into the xbox.....................????????????//..........
http://www.michellebranch.ca/images/gallery/11.jpg
she's fine

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
With all of that, it still says 50K+. I know the hard drive is 8 gigs, but how much memory is one of these "blocks". Blocks is such a cryptic term.

Well, the reason for the term "block" is because Microsoft wanted to get out the "computer image" since the XBox is a "console". But, technically speaking, 1 block is equal to 16 kilobits, to my understanding :)

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by LINKINPARK8591
i wanted to add a soundtrack to the xbox but i didn't want to use up all the memory so i decided not to and now u guys say that it won't change how much memory it has............................are u guys for reals i mean i have saved games from my games and it still say it has total memory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but to have soudtrackz on it too wouldn't that take up to much memory......are u guyz sure it wont hog up memory with cd soundtracks copied into the xbox.....................????????????//..........
http://www.michellebranch.ca/images/gallery/11.jpg
she's fine

Dude, don't sweat it...I have a plethera of game saves and over 100 audio tracks saved to the hard-drive. I haven't even dented the hard-drive yet :)

Master Gracey
04-04-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Well, the reason for the term "block" is because Microsoft wanted to get out the "computer image" since the XBox is a "console". But, technically speaking, 1 block is equal to 16 kilobits, to my understanding

Thanks, Maximus... you ARE a god, aren't you? :D

I always figured the block term had something to do with the difference in image between the console and the computer... especially since they don't tell you the actual amount of memory anywhere in the manual.

So if 1 block is 16K, then you'd seriously have to be low on memory before the blocks drop under 50K+. Maybe MS did this to make it look like you can't make a dent in the memory, no matter how much you put there? Sometimes I wonder if these companies hire psychologists when testing out their systems...

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey

Thanks, Maximus... you ARE a god, aren't you? :D

I always figured the block term had something to do with the difference in image between the console and the computer... especially since they don't tell you the actual amount of memory anywhere in the manual.

So if 1 block is 16K, then you'd seriously have to be low on memory before the blocks drop under 50K+. Maybe MS did this to make it look like you can't make a dent in the memory, no matter how much you put there? Sometimes I wonder if these companies hire psychologists when testing out their systems...

lol, dude...I'm hardly a "god" :D

But, that's definately the answer...I remember reading all about it at first...before the console came out. They wanted to make a console that would not be perceived as a computer. The term "hard-drive" was enough to make people think it was, however, saying how many "kilobits" would have really been icing on the cake, so to speak. So, they just used "blocks" as the term instead.

I have no idea why they didn't just provide the total amount of "blocks" instead of just stating that it has "50,000+"...maybe some of the hard-drives differ in size slightly. Who knows? Just a hunch :)

Dyslexic Chaos
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
If 1 block=16kilobites, the to my calculations, the XBOX has 500,000 "blocks" of memory. That's plenty for me, because when I saw how much my sountracks were taking up, I thought I'd have to buy a damn memory unit. YAY!!!

DIGITAL
04-04-2002, 05:27 PM
i smoke way to much i cant rember anything anymore i barely rember to wipe my own ass,so i guess i dont got much memory left.

Spike Minoda
04-04-2002, 07:05 PM
I probably have 330,999 bloks left:D 330,999 hehe

Calve
04-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Yup 50,000+ blocks!!!

Ain't the Xbox great!!!

Peace

raVen
04-04-2002, 11:39 PM
If 1 block=16kilobites, the to my calculations, the XBOX has 500,000 "blocks" of memory. That's plenty for me, because when I saw how much my sountracks were taking up, I thought I'd have to buy a damn memory unit. YAY!!!
Uhh Max said 16 KiloBITS, not Kilobytes.
Therefore the Xbox has a hell of a lot more than 500,000 blocks!

When you rip a CD to the hard drive it converts the format from CD format (which is huge) to a format that is way smaller, around the size of MP3's I think. Now if anyone has 8 gigs of MP3's on their computer they would probably know how much the Xbox can store.

I personally wouldn't worry about space for a long time, I mean the hard drive holds an equivalent to 1000 PS2 memory cards!

sinizuh
04-05-2002, 12:14 AM
with 14 game saves (game saves are small), and about 20,000 blocks of music, i'm still at 50,000+

Hermes
04-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by raVen
Uhh Max said 16 KiloBITS, not Kilobytes.
Therefore the Xbox has a hell of a lot more than 500,000 blocks!

A bit is less than a byte. 8 bits to the byte.

Whisper
04-05-2002, 06:38 AM
About 10 games with multiple saves, 8cds ... no dent

LINKINPARK8591
04-05-2002, 09:24 AM
the xbox has all of us setup plenty of memory, good graphics and sound...................design...........and features......................helll yeah this system is great..................
http://fan.quasi-evil.com/mb/gallery/mb32.jpg
she's fine

http://fan.quasi-evil.com/mb/yellow/mbtop.jpg
damn were all set with this system....:eek: :eek: :cool:http://www.michellebranch.ca/images/gallery/11.jpg

MixMasta
04-05-2002, 09:35 AM
if all what ur saying is correct(8 bits to a byte, block equals 16 bits) then if u do the math (to see how many bits are in 8 gigabytes) u get 6.4 million bits. then if u divide that by 16(since 16 bits equals a byte) u get 400,000. so that means if what you said was true, the xbox has 400,000 blocks.

Nato King
04-05-2002, 09:42 AM
I have like 3.9MB left on my computer it's not the best computer. I just have it because it gives me free internet for a year. I love it.:) :)

Boju
04-05-2002, 03:10 PM
hehe.....i have all of my room left since i just got my x-box....

i am new to xboxaddict......and i think its an amazing site!

E-Xbox
04-05-2002, 03:31 PM
hey boju...
u the same boju as the boju at those ps2 and gc sites?
always flamin xbox?
i c u finally got one...
good man!

peace.....

Boju
04-05-2002, 03:39 PM
hehe.....ya....i finally got one!!!

Boju
04-05-2002, 03:42 PM
AND IM NOT A FLAMMER!!!!! :D

OppiumNitrates
04-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by LINKINPARK8591
i wanted to add a soundtrack to the xbox but i didn't want to use up all the memory so i decided not to and now u guys say that it won't change how much memory it has............................are u guys for reals i mean i have saved games from my games and it still say it has total memory,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but to have soudtrackz on it too wouldn't that take up to much memory......are u guyz sure it wont hog up memory with cd soundtracks copied into the xbox\

Dude the machine is made for u do put tracks on it, thats y microsoft gave u a monster HD. . . . so use it damn it

especially since your name is linkin park. . .i mean even i have that CD on my HD

block = 16 bytes
1,024 bytes = 1 Kb
1 gig = 1,024 kb
HD = 8 gig
you do the math

Wu3000
04-05-2002, 04:22 PM
i herd that the hard drive is partitioned *hope i spelled that right
so each media type has its own "harddrive" is this true.
wu

NomadLLama
04-06-2002, 12:37 AM
hey guys. a couple weeks (months I think) winamp.com had some kind of news that PS2 was going to have a Linux Kit. the kit would be $200 for a 40 gig Harddrive and the Linux Operating system as I recall. if u guys are having a hard time to fill up 8 gigs, man 40 gigs would really be unnesscessary.

NomadLLama
04-06-2002, 12:38 AM
hey guys. a couple weeks (months I think) winamp.com had some kind of news that PS2 was going to have a Linux Kit. the kit would be $200 for a 40 gig Harddrive and the Linux Operating system as I recall. if u guys are having a hard time to fill up 8 gigs, man 40 gigs would really be unnesscessary. shows that those idiots at Sony are trying to show off...