PDA

View Full Version : Ports should cost less

Hugh_Jass
04-04-2002, 12:14 PM
I saw this topic on TXB and I liked it so much I thought I'd offer it up for discussion here.

For the time being, many of the titles coming to the XBOX are ports from other platforms (mostly PS2). Since the cost of porting a game is significantly less than the cost of designing a game from the ground up, the publisher can and should reduce the price of ported games.

I've b1tched about ported games many times on XBA. If a ported game (like GTA, MG, etc.) premiered at 40-50% off of a native XBOX game I would have a much easier time justifying the purchase price. By the time GTA is ported to the XBOX it will be in the PS2 bargain bin. Why should we pay more than PS2 owners?

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Good point, and I agree. I especially agree if a game that was ported is an old game. It only costs a game publisher/developer $5 Million to port a game. This is small beans compared to the cost of building a new game from the ground up. I think that they should pass those savings onto the consumers.

X-Factor
04-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Good point, and I agree. I especially agree if a game that was ported is an old game. It only costs a game publisher/developer $5 Million to port a game. This is small beans compared to the cost of building a new game from the ground up. I think that they should pass those savings onto the consumers. Crazy Taxi was ported to GameCube for launch, and it's $50 clams. I don't know who in their right mind would spend $50 on a 3 year old Dreamcast port. Hell, I wouldn't pay $20 for it!

Brevity
04-04-2002, 12:46 PM
Right since they are not spending any xtra on R&D they should pass the savings no to us.

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 12:56 PM
Man, I never thought about this. This is a really good point for whome ever at that site brought it up!
Ports are so cheaply made to convert to other platforrms that they should at the least go for $29.99 or $39.99
But what can you do? Nothing.

btw, Hugh jass, are you a member of that other site?.... seems as though you spend alot of time over their playa...hmmm

Crazy Joe
04-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
btw, Hugh jass, are you a member of that other site?.... seems as though you spend alot of time over their playa...hmmm

I was thinking the same thing, hey as long as he's spying on them and not spying on us. Wait a minute! What if he's spying on us!! AHHHHHHHH!!! j/k :cool:

DZNUTZ
04-04-2002, 01:59 PM
bottled water (among w/ a billion other things) should cost less then what manufactors sell it for also. but as long as people are willing to pay .....it aint gonna change.

E-Xbox
04-04-2002, 02:12 PM
good thread/topic

i agree wit u...
this is a very good point...
but most xbox ports have somethin xtra...like thps3 has 1 more level...

peace

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

I was thinking the same thing, hey as long as he's spying on them and not spying on us. Wait a minute! What if he's spying on us!! AHHHHHHHH!!! j/k :cool:

Yeah,...im still waiting for Hugh's reply.

btw,... your siggy is tight Gortholomew, hehehe
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/avatar.php?userid=2372&dateline=1017948859

Earl, da true offical Fat B@stard of XBA!:D

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by E-Xbox
good thread/topic

i agree wit u...
this is a very good point...
but most xbox ports have somethin xtra...like thps3 has 1 more level...

peace

Good point E-Xbox, just like genma Onimusha which is more than just a port with a few extra's it also includes new emenies and levels, ect.
But their are a fair share of straight ports.
Lets see here,... Max Lame anyone?!

Hugh_Jass
04-04-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

I am a member but I spend far more time on XBA. I visit TXB about 4 times per week. I visit XBA about four times per day. :)

DZNUTZ
04-04-2002, 02:20 PM
max payne might have been short......but it kicked ash....and was better then the ps2 version...ie....graphics..interactive enviroments

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
max payne might have been short......but it kicked ash....and was better then the ps2 version...ie....graphics..interactive enviroments

That doesnt matter bro, that game sucks ass!
Other than the Matrix slow-mo gameplay the game is lacking in every department.
And dont even meantion the worst.story.ever!
The only thing im confused about is why is this game still in my Xbox collection?:confused: I probably could'nt get no more than $20.00 of credit for it,... if even that much now!
:rolleyes:

I offically dub this game- MaxPainful to Play: featuring Max Lame as Max Plain:D

Ninja Scroll
04-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I am a member but I spend far more time on XBA. I visit TXB about 4 times per week. I visit XBA about four times per day. :)

Atleast your being honest Hugh.... Now I must kill you katana blade style!!:mad:

hehehe, just kiddy bro, your alright with Ninja!;)

Spaztic
04-04-2002, 02:54 PM
I totally agree with you guys ports should cost less, but you know it will never happen. M$ makes there money off of game sales so if they drop the price on ports they will loose even more money then they have already lost!

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls
I totally agree with you guys ports should cost less, but you know it will never happen. M$ makes there money off of game sales so if they drop the price on ports they will loose even more money then they have already lost!

I understand your point and all, but, it only costs developers $3 or so to stamp out a new game.

I honestly think that they would make more money because more people will be open to the idea of spending less for ported games and will end up buying them instead of leaving them on the store shelves. Just a thought :)