PDA

View Full Version : Sony + Celine Dion = Could Kill Your Xbox

LynxFX
04-04-2002, 03:17 PM
Source story (http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/bpihw/20020402/en/dion_s_new_cd_crashing_party_for_some_users_1.html)

Dion's new CD crashing party for some users

Epic/Sony released "A New Day Has Come" embedded with Key2Audio copy protection in Germany and several other European countries. According to a spokeswoman for Sony Music Entertainment, it is clearly stated on the front of the booklet and on the back of the jewel box that the CD "will not play on a PC or a Mac" in the language of the country in which it is sold. Besides those notices, which the spokeswoman said were readable before purchase, the disc itself bears the same warning.

Should the consumer try to play Dion's CD on a PC or Macintosh (news - web sites), the computer likely will crash.

Some fans believe that the CD is more damaging than that, however. On the German discussion boards at MacFixit, Mac users claim that the CD will not eject using normal methods and that the intentional corruption of the disc's session data could unpredictably affect the drive's firmware. (Firmware is a combination of hardware and software instructions that are permanently embedded in the hardware's controlling chips, such as with a computer's CD-ROM, and altering it could cause permanent damage.)

This means that it is possible that if you tried to play this cd, or any like it that it could hose your Xbox since it is a pc-dvd-rom drive. Just more reasons to hate Sony's Music Label. I doubt these cd's will even play on Sony's Vaio laptops or desktops, probably not even the PS2.

JJaX
04-04-2002, 03:22 PM
What a slut, like mad people are gonna be bootlegging her garbage. What a fat whore, Like she dont gotta enough money already. |3Itch

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 03:22 PM
Well, that's good info...but, I strongly doubt that I will rip the song made for the movie "Titanic" any time soon while racing 150 mph in Rallisport Challenge :D hehe

LynxFX
04-04-2002, 03:25 PM
Don't think the Titanic music applies ;) but with them expecting to sell 500,000 copies in the next couple weeks I'm sure it could affect someone out there with an xbox.

I never cared for her music either.

l Maximus l
04-04-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
I never cared for her music either.

I hear ya...her music seems to be retro 80s or something. Just doesn't click very well with me either.

As for effecting XBoxes...this might sound a little evil, but...if anyone even attempts to play her CD on the Green and Black Box, I think they deserve it!!! hehehe...jk :D

Wu3000
04-04-2002, 03:32 PM
look, see the peeps at sony are trying to made cd's that could potentially hurt our beloved xbox.

they start with dion;s cd so that all the girls with an xbox will go down first, next will be one of our favorite cd's.

thanks to lynx we know have knowledge of thier scheme. good lookin out playa
wu

thejoker
04-04-2002, 03:52 PM
The discs are protected against digital copying using Key2Audio technology developed by the Sony. The discs have only been released in Europe.

This copy protection crap is BS!

LynxFX
04-04-2002, 03:59 PM
Could you imagine the lawsuits if CD's with this type of bogus copy protection actually does corrupt your firmware on your Xbox?

Just more fair warning, it isn't just Celine Dion but a few other albums have been released with this same copy protection. All in Europe but I don't know which albums. I'm sure there is a list in the story somewhere.

JimmieDoogan
04-04-2002, 04:27 PM
So... I'll just plug in my CD player to my LINE IN on my SB Audigy, then record the song in CD QUALITY WAV format, convert it to MP3 and share it on the internet. They can't stop hackers... nor can they stop me. Dumbasses for thinking they can. That was just an example mind you. I would never buy, let alone, listen to anything Celine Dion has ever done or will ever do. Crap ta me. N E ways. If I wanted to burn one of these suposed "Protected CD's" all I'd have to do is hook my NORMAL cd player up to my PC via the Audio Input, then record each track in WAV, burn it to a CDRW, then rip it to my Xbox... yeah there's a few extra steps, but should a CD come out that I want with this tech on it, I'll just do as I said and put it on my Xbox without worry. No worries at all mates.

Master Gracey
04-04-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by thejoker
This copy protection crap is BS!

I'll second that!!! If you ask me, once you buy a disc, you should be able to use it however you want.

I, for one, have almost all 700 of my CDs ripped onto my computer's hard drive. My DVD player (which is a piece of crap Sony that came with the computer) will not recognize anything but DVDs. For some reason, it's stopped playing music CDs, it's stopped playing programs, and it sure as anything won't play anything I've burned. My computer's ATAPI cable is hooked up to the DVD drive because my RW drive has a problem playing audio CDs... which means sound only comes out of discs played in the DVD player, which doesn't play discs. For this reason, I rip everything so I can just open my MP3 player, hit random, and have hundreds of hours of songs randomized.

The only hope now is that companies who are going to be directly affected by this sort of copy-protection sue to stay in business... like companies who make MP3 players. If this doesn't stop, I'm sure the music industry is going to have the record companies develop CD players, and then make CDs that only play on those systems. There will be one speaker plug of an odd size, so they can sue anybody that tries to manufacture cords with plugs that fit. This whole trend needs to stop before it gets that far.

I don't know if any of you caught the RIAA president's speech at the Grammys this year, but it was haunting in its undertones of where the industry is headed, and it doesn't look good for music fans. The whole industry is becoming even more closed-door than it's ever been, and they're about to turn themselves into a self-perpetuating syndicate where noone from the outside has any say in anything... and they think that the public is just going to take what they cram down our throats.

On the subject of the Xbox, I'd suggest not trying to ruin it with one of these CDs and seeing what will happen. MS is in bed with the music industry... Windows XP is proof of that. The only reason you can rip to the Xbox is because there's no way you can transfer that information. So don't expect sympathy from them if something happens. Then again, you never know...

Sorry to go on a rant, but as a musician this is a subject that I hold very dear. You always want your music heard, but the industry is trying to make it impossible for anyone who doesn't get their rubber-stamp approval. Just look at the Grammys. Did anyone win who's not a record company puppet?

Snoopy7548
04-04-2002, 04:50 PM
i heard about this on the radio, its pretty retarted, no matter what they do, someone is gonna find a way around this, someone always has. sony could have a BIG lawsuit, from the customers who didnt know about the protection. because most people cant afford a stereo, and use their computer to listen to their cds, and if their computer crashes, then they will be pi*sed off. all this copy protection/anti-napster sh*t is so fu*kin retarted. i dont understand why the artists get so mad, they make enough money anyway, theyre such bast*rds. if i was rich, i wouldnt care if people bootlegged my stuff. ha, in a news magazine i was readin last year, dr. dre said that he hated napster because: it takes the food out of my kids mouth and the clothes off their back. haha, what a loser, like hes gonna be poor if a few people bootleg some of his cds? god i hate these kind of people. they should be happy with the amount of money they have, some people cant even afford to eat, let alone have a house. geez, these artists need to grow up and stop being such rich little bas*ards.:mad: :mad:

Spaztic
04-04-2002, 04:53 PM
To bad no one really buys her crap anywayz! B-I-Itch!

Snoopy7548
04-04-2002, 04:57 PM
i do! i think that she is a very talented female artist. her music is just so inspiring, it gives me a nice warm feeling all over.:rolleyes:

JohnB
04-04-2002, 06:25 PM
Yeah you better count on loads of lawsuits, no joke. I think the More Fast and Furious CD had that copy protection thing, but people got around it easily.

thunderkiss2k1
04-04-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
i do! i think that she is a very talented female artist. her music is just so inspiring, it gives me a nice warm feeling all over.:rolleyes:

You ARE kidding? Right??? Right?? Lol.:D

Snoopy7548
04-04-2002, 06:47 PM
haha, yea, i am, shes the worst singer ever, and shes annoying