PDA

View Full Version : New Tekki Info!!

Piccolo_DBz
04-04-2002, 11:35 PM
Remember BattleTech VR from a couple of years ago? It was a mech simulator game in which players took control of mechs inside a sit-down arcade cabinet equipped with joysticks, buttons, and switches as if you were really inside a ****pit. Predating the current generation of online network games, you were able to play with other human players across a network. While the BattleTech VR concept has ended up being expanded on in the popular MechWarrior series on the PC, it's a different experience altogether, since sitting at a PC didn't quite capture the feeling of being in a ****pit. Now, Capcom attempts to blend both experiences straight into your own living room with its upcoming mech simulator title for the Xbox, called Tekki (formerly known as Brainbox).

Mechs and tanks two great vehicles that work great together.

The game's development is a collaboration between Capcom and an outside developer, led by producer Atsushi Inaba (Gyakuten Saiban, GBA) and director Hifumi Kawano (Human's Clocktower). "Our team is quite unique, with only about 20 people. We also got two of our good artists from Devil May Cry handling the art direction, and it is looking very cool," Inaba commented. Players take control of a type of mech called a vertical tank (VT), which features a variety of weapons such as plasma torches, a 270mm rifle, an MK21-6 twin-pod rocket launcher, and more. Each VT can carry up to six weapons (both primary and secondary), although players will have be careful when equipping their mech, due to limitations in ammo, fuel, and weight. You start out with the first-generation VT, called the Decider. As you progress through the game and rise through the ranks, you will be able to choose from better models. There will be a total of 18 VTs, including third-generation VTs. The battlefield is equivalent to 5 square kilometers, featuring a wide range of locations that include cities, military installments, and deep forests.

You'll be cast in the role of a soldier whose mission is to contain a coup d'état in an island. Your tasks will include destroying enemy VTs, battleships, and other types of missions. Your radio will be one of your most useful resources in the game. In addition to keeping track of your mission status via reports that come in over the course of your maneuvers, you can use it to give specific orders to your squad members or call for support during the mission. For example, you can call in a helicopter to have your fuel and ammo replenished. The challenge in doing so is to ensure that you find a spot where your mech and the helicopter won't be attacked long enough to have the supplies transferred

As information on the game has trickled out, Tekki's controller has received a great deal of attention for the ambitious nature of its size and complexity. The controller is about 80cm in length, with numerous buttons, toggle switches, analog sticks, and foot pedals divided into three panels. First, you'll have several buttons on the right panel to open the VT's hatch, turn on the ignition, and start up the engine. Following that, you'll flip the toggle switches on the left panel to turn on the operating system, which will display the oxygen supply, fuel, radar, and the status of other vital instruments onscreen. Basic control involves using the shift gear on the left panel and one of three pedals to move forward (or backward if the gear is in reverse). There are two other foot pedals, which are used to strafe left and right. The left analog stick is used to rotate the upper portion of the mech, while the right analog stick is used to look around, lock onto targets, and fire weapons. You can use the tuner dial to find the right frequency to radio in other members of your team. To keep communication from taking up too much of your focus, you'll be able to save up to five frequencies on the hotkeys located above the dial. Other function keys you'll use in the game will let you turn on the night vision scope, zoom the camera in and out, and detach parts of the VT. Dropping parts from your VT is useful when you have parts on it so damaged that they no longer function. The reduction of dead weight will make your VT lighter and allow for more agile movement.

The Tekki controller, master it and you will be a mech king.

Kawano explains, "At first, you would probably imagine Armored Core or Virtua On. But fast-paced games like those are mech-based action games--you can't make controls too complex. But in Tekki's case, it is complex enough that if you make a mistake, your VT will fall over. We'd like for the players to feel the satisfaction and coolness when they finally get used to the controls." The controller also has a small plastic-covered switch on the upper-right portion of the right panel. When your VT no longer functions and is about to be destroyed, you flip the plastic cover open and hit the eject button. The controller will be manufactured by Ascii, and while the price has not yet been decided, Capcom plans to keep it affordable--less than 20,000 yen (about $150). Tekki for the Xbox is scheduled for a release sometime this summer in Japan. Look for announcements on Tekki at this year's E3 in May at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2860083,00.html

150 bucks for the controller and the game is perfect IMO. I'm so gonna buy it when it comes to the states
:cool:

GRAVEDIGGER
04-04-2002, 11:41 PM
Tytework man, thanx for the heads up.

This game is gonna be great, another reason that will make my statement true would be the fact that they say if you dont use the pedals and controls the right way your mech will malfunction, and even fall over!....now thats realism:cool:

Untill next time...:mad:

Hugh_Jass
04-05-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Piccolo_DBz

150 bucks for the controller and the game is perfect IMO. I'm so gonna buy it when it comes to the states
:cool:

I didn't read it that way.

The controller will be manufactured by Ascii, and while the price has not yet been decided, Capcom plans to keep it affordable--less than 20,000 yen (about $150).

It doesn't say anything about the game. I read it as $150 for the controller. Thus, the controller plus game would be $199.99.

CodeMonkey
04-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Pic of the controller

http://codemonkey.kicks-ass.net/control

aronx
04-05-2002, 10:04 AM
$200 my azzhole. Who has time to waste on trying to learn to use the damn controller? This game will fail big time here in the states (if it ever makes it here).

l Maximus l
04-05-2002, 11:15 AM
Wow, if the conroller is $150 and the game is $50, therefore, making the total about $200, I strongly doubt I will get this game. I'd rather put that money towards a 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS surround sound system. I know for a fact that my local buddies wouldn't buy it either for that much...I was hoping that the controller would be around $75. That would seem much more reasonable if you ask me. By the way, I'm not a cheapskate either...I just think $150, if that's the case, is way to much for a controller. That thing better be gold plated!!!! :rolleyes:

JJaX
04-05-2002, 12:01 PM
I always wanted to go to FASA and play in there BattleTech simulators. This is gonna be a dream come true! Sweeeet

DaturaX
04-05-2002, 12:46 PM
I would buy it for sure.But they havent said anything about it coming to the US. :(

Hugh_Jass
04-05-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I was hoping that the controller would be around $75. That would seem much more reasonable if you ask me. By the way, I'm not a cheapskate either...I just think $150, if that's the case, is way to much for a controller. That thing better be gold plated!!!! :rolleyes:

A decent flightstick on the PC is $40. The Tekki controller is the size of a desk. If they could make it for $75 the thing would be a flimsy piece of junk. I'd rather pay $150 for a quality item than $75 for something that will break easily or doesn't work very well.

l Maximus l
04-05-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

A decent flightstick on the PC is $40. The Tekki controller is the size of a desk. If they could make it for $75 the thing would be a flimsy piece of junk. I'd rather pay $150 for a quality item than $75 for something that will break easily or doesn't work very well.

I understand where you are coming from, Hugh...but, I just can't justify the cost for $150 for a controller. Maybe if it came with the game or something, that would make more sense. But, $150 to play only one game really gets my jaw dropping and my head hanging. My wife would be impossible to convince to justify that purchase. Maybe in due time...but, I would seriously hope that the game comes with the purchase of that controller since it's the only game that can be played with it.

One thing is for sure, I would buy this over a fishing pole controller any day! :D

Koopa
04-05-2002, 01:29 PM
I doubt many americans would be willing to pay 200 to play one game on an already expensive system...it looks great but it'll flop in the US if they try to release it here. if they'd just use the normal xbox controller i'd buy it in a snap though...

Piccolo_DBz
04-05-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

I didn't read it that way.

It doesn't say anything about the game. I read it as $150 for the controller. Thus, the controller plus game would be $199.99.

It has to be with the game. I doubt it could work without it.

DaturaX
04-05-2002, 04:05 PM
Just because you wouldnt spend $150 on it dont say it wouldnt sell well in the US.I know alot of guys(myself included)that have spent well above $150 for a good racing wheel to play one or two games for the PC.

Hugh_Jass
04-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Yep. I think I spent $140 for my Act Labs Force RS racing wheel on the PC. It really enhances the gaming experience when you have a specially designed controller.

Once the controller is out there I don't know why other games couldn't be written to use it. Someone else on this board (I think) mentioned the possibility of using overlays with the Tekki controller.

I think if I was able to use the Tekki controller with Halo I might rise above my current skill level (which is to say, none). I could also see using this controller with Star Wars Starfighter or an underwater Submarine fighting game. Updated versions of Battle Zone, Robotron...the possibilities are endless.

Yes, I would definitely drop $150 on this controller alone.

Plewis
04-05-2002, 09:37 PM
it better have online multiplayer... what if it has multiplayer on 1 xbox:eek: ... heck... im not gonna spend $150 for my friend to play with me:rolleyes:

Spike Minoda
04-05-2002, 10:13 PM
The game sure does look interesting. I would get if it came out soon, cause i got 55 in my pocket, burning, burningBURNING!