PDA

View Full Version : Game Magazines rip on Xbox!!

Masterchief1018
04-05-2002, 10:34 AM
Is it just me, or do some of the big videogame magezines rip on Xbox alot (I.E Gamenow, Gamepro)? Post your views on the subject below. I mean, Gamepro gave Gunvalkarye a very low fun factor rating, based on what, the challengeling controls? Halo's controls were no walk in the park the first time I played it, but I stuck with it and got them down in maybe 1 hr of gameplay. All GV needs is time, I don't think Magazines should rip on the game like that based on one difficult area. It takes more than just controls to make a game.

The Same goes for JSRF and Wreckless. Those are some really great games, yet the took lots of abuse from Game mags.

Plz post any comments you have below

silvertrace
04-05-2002, 10:40 AM
i agree, but on earlier posts it was determined that those were just peoples opinions of the game(s).......personally i agree with u, but thats just my opinion :rolleyes:

*note to self......rent games prior to purchasing on the chance that they might suck.........:rolleyes:

OppiumNitrates
04-05-2002, 11:14 AM
well if whoever rates these games gave it a ****ty rating cauz of the controls then they should put he controller down and write articles in 'home and garden' or something cauz GUNVALCYIER tried something different and inovative with their control system and they get knocked for it??

Besides how can u rate a game on fun if u dont give it a chance and learn the controls first. . . . stupid coulmnist dont know $#!T

l Maximus l
04-05-2002, 11:20 AM
I agree. A good benchmark before rating a game is to put in atleast 6-10 hours into a game. By then, a person has enough time to learn the controls and can really determine how they feel about a game.

I hear a lot of complaints about the control scheme for Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding. Personally, I LOVE the controls on this game. The moment I picked it up, yes, it was challenging...but, isn't this true with almost every game? After playing Amped after 20 minutes, I had the controls down pretty good...now I am a master! I love that game.

But, seriously, what 'true gamer' really wants to master the controls of a game in a mere 5 minutes? I know I wouldn't.

JJaX
04-05-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

But, seriously, what 'true gamer' really wants to master the controls of a game in a mere 5 minutes? I know I wouldn't.

I tend to master games controls in less than that :)
Even Gunvalk i caugt on coming back to the insertion point of the 1st level.

I enjoy mastering games, I rather play a game a do moves on instinct. I hate having to think, Ok wat do i hit next..

YA STAND ME!?

l Maximus l
04-05-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

I tend to master games controls in less than that :)
Even Gunvalk i caugt on coming back to the insertion point of the 1st level.

I enjoy mastering games, I rather play a game a do moves on instinct. I hate having to think, Ok wat do i hit next..

YA STAND ME!?

lol, dude! Why did I think you were going to reply with something like that!?!? :D hehe

Actually, I got Amped and played it the day I got my XBox - Nov 15th. At that time, I was also learning the feel of the XBox controller. I tend to also catch on how games are played, too ;)

I actually play better after a couple frosty beverages, too :D

JohnB
04-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Just about every review on Gunvalkerie has sucked. Most people have already seen this at Gamespot, which rated the game a 6.2. Then you look at the reader reviews there and you see the high ratings it got. Not to mention a lot of them bashed Gamespot for its very poor review.

OppiumNitrates
04-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

I hear a lot of complaints about the control scheme for Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding. Personally, I LOVE the controls on this game. The moment I picked it up, yes, it was challenging...but, isn't this true with almost every game? After playing Amped after 20 minutes, I had the controls down pretty good...now I am a master! I love that game.

yeah i had a prob with amped when i first started cauz i was used to THPS where pressing foward goes faster and i would hold it in the air sometimes, but in amped u do flips so it adds that 3rd dimention to the controls in the air. . . .but after a while i was pullin off 540 corkscrews with my eyes closed

before any one rates a game for a magazine thay should get half way through the game or beat it to at least be able to form an opinon on storyline, also by then the controls arnt really a factor and they should have seen the graphics and heard the sounds enough to accually have some idea as to what their talking about when they r ready to start writing

Spaztic
04-05-2002, 11:57 AM
I feel alot of the reviewers are not so much gamers but people with journalism degrees. I honestly think the xbox controller is the most advanced. It can be a little difficult to get used to but I never had a problem since I have evolved from the atari days. I am a avid gamer and I really don't have problems with any platform. These are just peoples opinions, to get angry about there opinion is stupid, waste your energy on something productive like.....mowing my grass!

RudedogX
04-05-2002, 12:22 PM
To me videogame critics are just like movie critics! I don't trust their opinion. Whenever I go see a movie, I usually rely on word of mouth from friends. Just like I wait to see what the addicts say in their reviews on this site! As far as I am concerned, it's the gamers out there that know what is good! The critics all seem to be the same no matter what genre they are critiquing. They are (for the most part), pompous, arrogant idiots that don't know a good thing when it sits on their face!

Ummm...ok, maybe I could have just said I don't like critics.:confused:

Ninja Scroll
04-05-2002, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
well if whoever rates these games gave it a ****ty rating cauz of the controls then they should put he controller down and write articles in 'home and garden' or something cauz GUNVALCYIER tried something different and inovative with their control system and they get knocked for it??

Besides how can u rate a game on fun if u dont give it a chance and learn the controls first. . . . stupid coulmnist dont know $#!T

AMEN OppiumNitrates!;)

I own GUNVALKYRIE so I feel you on your post bro.
Everyones a critic to you know everyone is not gonna agree and even be biased on everything and anything that there is to judge in like.
That's just the way it is my friend.:)

King Of Rage
04-05-2002, 12:51 PM
gamepro has always been sony biased. 2 years ago at the E3 before the ps2 lanuch sega had the best pressence and every magazine talked about how sega made sony look like a piece of crap. Gamepro didn't even mention how it was liek that or even about the differences in the areas of the show. they just did games. Not to mention they seem to give bad PS games good reviess

thunderkiss2k1
04-05-2002, 12:58 PM
I actually think Gamepro's reviews are pretty useful. I usually read their reviews with this in mind: If a game gets a bad review from Gamepro, I run , not walk, to buy it. This is usually because games they diss are the best ones. If they give a game a good rating, 5 out of 10 times, its a stinker. Just my opinion. :mad:

aronx
04-05-2002, 03:09 PM
I dont think game reviewers are biased towards the XBox. If anything, the peps in these forums are biased against every other system out there. Everybody has an opinion on every game they've ever played. Best thing for you to do, if you have a problem with a certain review, is try the game out yourself and formulate an opinion of your own.

Dyslexic Chaos
04-05-2002, 03:33 PM
Ok. This is getting stupid. For one, although the Amped controls are ok, theyb are not that good. They have very little dpth and the game is pretty slow moving and sometmes the conmtrols for jumping can be a bit to picky. It is an Okay game and deserved every circa 7/10 it got! The controls in GV are not that great and yes, whether u want to admit it or not, controls play a major part in how "fun" a game is. And stop *****ing about game journalists. Without them I bet half of you would have Kabuki Warriors!!! Almost all of them are VERY hardcore. Working all day and sometimes all night at their job from probably not an incredible wage! They have very little time to do anything other than write. They also rarley get to choose the games that they play! So stop *****ing. I luv the xbox, but u must admit, noty ALL of it's games are great!

datalink7
04-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Masterchief1018
Is it just me, or do some of the big videogame magezines rip on Xbox alot (I.E Gamenow, Gamepro)? Post your views on the subject below. I mean, Gamepro gave Gunvalkarye a very low fun factor rating, based on what, the challengeling controls? Halo's controls were no walk in the park the first time I played it, but I stuck with it and got them down in maybe 1 hr of gameplay. All GV needs is time, I don't think Magazines should rip on the game like that based on one difficult area. It takes more than just controls to make a game.

The Same goes for JSRF and Wreckless. Those are some really great games, yet the took lots of abuse from Game mags.

Plz post any comments you have below

I agree with you in part that some reviewers rip on games without giving the time needed to really get to know how good they are. But as for the specifics, I also didn't like JSRF or Wreckless. I haven't tried Gunvalkarye so I'll reserve judgement on that.

NomadLLama
04-06-2002, 12:29 AM
actually, if u have noticed, GamePro has not given any xbox games a perfect 5 overall. Fun factor, controls, sound, graphics, there was always some 4.5 on something on a really good game. halo didn't even get a perfect five on everything. if u know FPSes, then Halo's controls would be very easy. think Unreal or Quake or even Half-life. if u were good at those games, then Halo was easy to pick up.