PDA

View Full Version : I got my hands on a Japanese controller.

Donaldson
04-06-2002, 12:02 AM
I picked up the imported control (not the "S" American version--the actual Japanese controller) and so far I have liked it. It is much more like the playstation dual shock although still a little bigger. The layout of the X-Y-A-B buttons is pleasant for fat fingered individuals and is almost identical to the Madcatz setup.

The left joystick is very comfortable with a deeper "cup" to hold your thumb better. This makes crouching and walking or the jump then crouch feature much easier and less frustrating. The right joystick also has the same deeper cup but is not as comfortable in relation to its position as the Original XBox version. You almost have to keep your thumb bent the whole time to feel like you have control over the stick which makes your thumb joint hurt after only a short time. The movement of the sticks is almost identical to the original.

The triggers are only slightly smaller and very comfortable. They also press in easier than the original--a feature which I like. This could pose a problem in racing games where the pressure you place on the trigger reflects how much you are "pressing on the gas pedal". I have not tested this in any racing games, but have only liked the slight change in trigger feature on the Japanese controller.

The D-Pad is probably the best improvement from the original. It makes deliberate directional presses used in navigating menus and in such games as Tony Hawk much easier.

As you know the black and white buttons are located underneath the other buttons. They are sunken into the controller so an accidental press by the thumb is almost impossible. The problem is that the placement is just as cumbersome as the placement on the original. The start and back buttons are also moved to underneath the left joystick. This is annoying at first just because that is not where they are "supposed" to be. After a couple of times of reaching in the wrong spot you get the hang of it though and all in all it isn't that big of a deal beacuse you don't use them in gameplay except to pause the game.

In the end I am glad I bought this as my 4th controller. I can use it when I want and pawn it off on one of my friends when I feel like using the original. I can't say that the change in controller affected my game playing abilities all that much. Yes I can crouch and walk easier, but that is rarely a big deal in a game. I do like the spacing of the buttons and the change in D-pad for Tony Hawk.

Any questions just ask.

Spike Minoda
04-06-2002, 12:35 AM
That si nice...:cool: i want a jap controller

borka105
04-06-2002, 12:10 PM
is the button layout similar to the genesis controller. I mean does it have the same shape, and size?

thanks
-Borka105

Donaldson
04-06-2002, 05:07 PM
I should have posted this originally. It is nothing like a Genesis controller it is much more like the playstation controller--that is the closest comparison I can make.

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/japanesexboxcontroller_031802_03_line3.jpg

borka105
04-06-2002, 10:05 PM
It seems like it would be impossible to play games like fever. Since when you have to throw to a reciever (black button) you couldn't press it and control you r quarterback at the same time. Seems like it would be too difficult and uncomfortable. Other than that, the button layout looks great. I like how the buttons on the right side are nicely spread out.

-Borka105

doughthe1st
04-06-2002, 10:10 PM
:cool: Wish I could get the other controller!

tsaiber
04-07-2002, 03:43 AM
some stores are already carrying the japanese controller in So Cal for about 39.99 which is the same price as the US controller.

Crazy Joe
04-07-2002, 04:15 AM
the only problem i see is a difficulty in switching between the controllers, the black and white buttons are in COMPLETELY different positions, once you get used to one it must be hard using the other. Any problems switching up controllers?

Donaldson
04-07-2002, 07:52 PM
I haven't played too many games that use the black and white buttons that much. Madden uses them for recievers (like Fever), but very rarely--like only in 4 and 5 receiver sets or when your back is coming out of the backfield on a screen. The other game that uses them a little that I have used it for is AUF and once again it is not a primary button in the control scheme. Are there any games where the black and white buttons are used constantly?

doughthe1st
04-07-2002, 08:14 PM
:) I don't think so Donaldson, I think the black and white buttons are there to simply operate weapon/tool functions.

Jay3941
04-07-2002, 08:17 PM
Is the controller worth importing? Also, what's the USD price for one of the web?

doughthe1st
04-07-2002, 08:30 PM
Heck if I know?!lol:eek:

Donaldson
04-07-2002, 09:56 PM
I would say yes it is worth importing for a couple of reasons. For one it is the exact same price as the American Xbox controller (I paid $39.99), and second it gives gamers a chance to have the controller NOW. If I had to have the choice of having something now or in a month and pay the exact same price I would choose to have it now.

tech
04-07-2002, 09:56 PM
No problems with racing games, eg PGR, rallisport. I love my controller. I'm picking up a second so my buddies won't complain that I have the better controller. I bought my at www.therage.com. Same price as the US controller when I bought it.

doughthe1st
04-08-2002, 08:18 AM
:) Where could I buy this Jap controller?

ftyards
04-08-2002, 10:40 AM
I know that Virgin sells them at least the One in Downtown Chicago, the other ones might. But they have it for 49.99.

doughthe1st
04-08-2002, 11:26 AM
:cool: I'll check my local game store about it! Thanks

Donaldson
04-08-2002, 07:20 PM
If you live in the LA area I can tell you where to get one, otherwise just buy one online.

FaTBoi702
04-08-2002, 08:08 PM
i think that would be cool if they would make the original big controller w/ the circle buttons w/ the diamond layout but keep the white, black, back, start buttons where they are now

OppiumNitrates
04-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by doughthe1st
:) Where could I buy this Jap controller?

yeah i want one too...

doughthe1st
04-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Donaldson
I should have posted this originally. It is nothing like a Genesis controller it is much more like the playstation controller--that is the closest comparison I can make.

http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/japanesexboxcontroller_031802_03_line3.jpg
WHERE CAN I BUY ONE OF THESE JAP CONTROLLERS AT ONLINE? (In a secure site that is)