PDA

View Full Version : One Hardware Standard

smb35673
04-06-2002, 10:24 PM
I really like the Sony comments about the need to establish one hardware standard.

We have all been negatively effected by the distribution of the superb first party titles which grace the three big consoles.

Consumers pay a very high price for this some having to buy all three machines to be able to enjoy the very best of gaming.

Like sega who has already done a good bit of thinking and decided to concentrate on its core capabilities the rest of the major players should do the same.

Nintendo like Sega should concentrate on the software.Then it would be able to sell a billion copies of its games, as they deserve to do.

Sony as a consumer electronics manufacturer should do what it does best by producing the hardware with the help of its partners such as IBM and Toshiba.

Microsoft should provide the operating/programing environment.

Imagine a machine that has the support of all publishers including the three major hardware manufacturers today.

Metal Gear, GT3, Mario, Metroid, Resident Evil and Halo all on one machine.

They would collectively acheive so much more and the consumer would benefit as well.

Hugh_Jass
04-07-2002, 12:00 AM
Competition is what drives hardware and software to improve at such a rapid pace. There is no way I would endorse a single vendor plan.

When you think about it, the hardware cost is very reasonable when amortized over the lifetime of the system. In the unlikely event that XBOX2 comes out two years from now, the cost of the XBOX is only $12.50 per month, or forty-one cents per day. Say you purchased all three platforms. It would cost less per month than basic cable, which just about everyone in the country manages to afford.

Standardizing on a single platform is a very bad idea. It's exactly what happened to the portable gaming market. I love my GBA but it has some serious flaws, which would most likely have disappeared long ago if there was serious competition in the market.

GokuX
04-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Yeah I believe Sony also stated they wanted to take the money they've made and establish a Communist society sometime in the future. Standardizing, BAAAH.

SciFi
04-07-2002, 12:58 AM
why do you think a new type of GB takes so long???
**edit :keyboard would not type P**

LynxFX
04-07-2002, 03:14 AM
Funny, Sony said the same thing with Beta Max. Of course the standard they want to enforce is theirs.:rolleyes: