PDA

View Full Version : Japan numbers from Microsoft, sort of...

Crazy Joe
04-07-2002, 04:21 AM
MSNBC (microsoft - nbc joint venture) published some figures from sales of Xbox in Japan. Here's the article, most notable is that only 190, 092 units were sold in it's first 5-6 weeks. I'm not sure if this will affect us North American gamers too much, but it is of interest to know how our console fares overseas.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/734627.asp

TOKYO, April 5 — Microsoft Corp’s Xbox game console got off to a slow start in Japan, selling 190,092 units between its launch on February 22 and March 31, game magazine publisher Enterbrain Inc. said on Friday.

MICROSOFT WOULD NOT COMMENT on sales figures, but the Japan debut was marred by complaints from users that the console was scratching game discs and some stores halted sales temporarily.
(MSNBC is a Microsoft - NBC joint venture.)

The U.S. software giant prepared 250,000 Xboxes for the Japan launch, each priced at 34,800 yen ($263), which is 5,000 yen more than Sony Corp’s PlayStation 2 and 9,800 yen more than Nintendo Co Ltd’s GameCube.

Hirokazu Hamamura, Enterbrain’s editor-in-chief, said the lack of attractive software titles, rather than the scratching issue, was the main problem for the product.

“They really need killer titles. Even if they cut the price of Xbox, I don’t think that would help,” Hamamura said at a seminar on the Japanese game industry.

Microsoft sold 1.5 million Xboxes in the United Sates in just six weeks after launching on November 15, but the company said in February that it did not expect to repeat such a strong start in Japan, a home turf of Sony and Nintendo.

As for GameCube, Enterbrain said Nintendo shipped 1.29 million units between its September 14 Japan debut and March 31, attracting both young and adult gamers.

During the business year to March 31, Sony sold 4.05 million units of its blockbuster PlayStation 2 console, helped by a price cut. Sony rolled out PlayStation 2 in March 2000 in Japan, selling 980,000 units in just three days.

*edit* just spaced out the quote a bit for ease of reading :)

dave_m123
04-07-2002, 04:38 AM
I personally dont think it's done that bad considering its:
a)American
b)more expensive than the others
c)been treated unfairly by quite a few stores in Japan such as those that stopped selling them for no reason.

jeah
04-07-2002, 06:18 AM
yeah...

Crazy Joe
04-09-2002, 04:15 AM
nobody has any thoughts on this, under 200,000 sold in over a month?

UnitedKingdom
04-09-2002, 04:32 AM
I think the japanese wanted to see more kung-fu or final fantasy type games on release. When they start coming out the numbers should go up nicely.
what we need is ninjas!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Skarp
04-09-2002, 04:39 AM
Xbox is made my Microsoft...an American company. Nintendo is not, do you see any connection there? Besides, the Japanese don't have room for xboxs in the apartments anyway. At least thats what some of them say.

NonFanboy
04-09-2002, 05:41 AM
There are a couple of reasons why Xbox got it's head put on a platter in Japan. 1. Games most of the Japanese just werent interested in 2. MS dismissed alot of claims of deffective units and basically called the whole thing a load of bunk. 3. MS was very reluctant to fix the faulty Xbox's because it would bring bad publicity. 4. MS was way to ****y, where did they get the idea that they ruled the console market? Bill Gate's wild claim that Nintendo would be dead in a year probebly didnt help them either, although I doubt the Japanese really cared about what Billy bob said.

thunderkiss2k1
04-09-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by NonFanboy
There are a couple of reasons why Xbox got it's head put on a platter in Japan. 1. Games most of the Japanese just werent interested in 2. MS dismissed alot of claims of deffective units and basically called the whole thing a load of bunk. 3. MS was very reluctant to fix the faulty Xbox's because it would bring bad publicity. 4. MS was way to ****y, where did they get the idea that they ruled the console market? Bill Gate's wild claim that Nintendo would be dead in a year probebly didnt help them either, although I doubt the Japanese really cared about what Billy bob said.

Piece of advice: you need to change your screennick to GCFanboy. It suits you better.

NonFanboy
04-09-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Piece of advice: you need to change your screennick to GCFanboy. It suits you better.

Tell me what makes me a "GCfanboy"

ADEMA_RULES
04-09-2002, 05:05 PM
I just think Japan people or jelouse, but don't get me wrong but for history for consoles Japan Companys always came to the light and always had something a hit and now Microsoft is in it and is a American Company I just think they just can't face the truth that Americans can do a damn good job like they do, and they don't want to the point that the help of a American Company will make there little Nintendo Company go down with the help of Sony and Xbox did bad those weeks and I thought I heard they doing good now after Microsoft went and fixed the problems with the cd's and stuff.

GokuX
04-09-2002, 05:37 PM
I tend to agree that software might have played a big part in its sale's numbers. It had DOA3 which convinced alot of the 190,000 to purchase the Xbox, but beyond that I wasn't seeing much that would make the Japanese consumer go wild. I think it's just gonna be a matter of time until they get more attractive games like someone else said. SSBM sure helped the GC sales, so perhaps the same effect could occur if a killer game geared toward Japanese gamers came out. There are some interesting thoughts in this thread so far.

JimmieDoogan
04-09-2002, 06:13 PM
This is why Xbox isn't doing well in Japan. Japanese people are as racest and biased as anyone, but when it comes to business, no one is more so. They figure anything made by and American company is crap. Plain and simple. If MS was a Japanese company and Xbox its game system (in its current form) the Japanese wouldn't care about its size or appearance. It is plain old racism with a bit of business bias. If you think thats a joke your sadly mistaken. They don't care that its too big, they just don't want it because it came from America. Most countries, even though they trade with us and are considered ally's, still hate us. It seems to be a running theme with most Governments and businesses of the world, hate the Americans.

thunderkiss2k1
04-09-2002, 08:36 PM

Tell me what makes me a "GCfanboy"

Take a look at your #4 reason in the post I quoted.

NonFanboy
04-09-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by thunderkiss2k1

Take a look at your #4 reason in the post I quoted.

And?

JohnB
04-09-2002, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
This is why Xbox isn't doing well in Japan. Japanese people are as racest and biased as anyone, but when it comes to business, no one is more so. They figure anything made by and American company is crap. Plain and simple. If MS was a Japanese company and Xbox its game system (in its current form) the Japanese wouldn't care about its size or appearance. It is plain old racism with a bit of business bias. If you think thats a joke your sadly mistaken. They don't care that its too big, they just don't want it because it came from America. Most countries, even though they trade with us and are considered ally's, still hate us. It seems to be a running theme with most Governments and businesses of the world, hate the Americans.

Exactly. Someone besides me who actually realizes the TRUTH.

NonFanboy
04-10-2002, 01:21 AM

Be carefull to not step into the bull**** everybody.

Crazy Joe
04-10-2002, 03:15 AM

I can believe this, the Japanese have been the leaders in video gaming, well, forever and seeing the Americans infringe probably doesn't make them too happy. Alot of people in the US bought Xbox because it is the first American console to be truly competitive. For the same reason, the Japanese probably won't get into Xbox too much, simply because of national pride. "If it isn't japanese, I won't buy it" attitude. Alot of people in the US (and Canada) feel the same way about vehicles, they only buy North American cars or trucks.

UnitedKingdom
04-10-2002, 06:14 AM
I'm not american or japanese, here in europe were basically neutrals. But i'd have to say that american games are much much much more popular over here than most japanese games. Japanese gamers have very different tastes compared to US and European gamers, this is why i feel that the xbox won't do that well in japan but in europe it will kick ass (once they lower the price a bit). :cool: :eek: :)

Afro Aura
04-10-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by UnitedKingdom
I'm not american or japanese, here in europe were basically neutrals. But i'd have to say that american games are much much much more popular over here than most japanese games. Japanese gamers have very different tastes compared to US and European gamers, this is why i feel that the xbox won't do that well in japan but in europe it will kick ass (once they lower the price a bit). :cool: :eek: :)
I agree mate, look at the games that where released with the XBOX.
I hope that Halo gets them into FPS it will be a first of many if it succeeds, I'm into RPG games with started over here in the Western world and not in Japan so they maybe there is a chance, lets wait and see

What price do you want to pay for your XBOX it's losing money already, I feel it will go down in price just before Christmas maybe £249.99

Crazy Joe
04-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura
I'm into RPG games with started over here in the Western world and not in Japan so they maybe there is a chance, lets wait and see

what RPG games are you into that started over here, all the ones i can think of that i really liked are from Japan.

NonFanboy
04-10-2002, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

I can believe this, the Japanese have been the leaders in video gaming, well, forever and seeing the Americans infringe probably doesn't make them too happy. Alot of people in the US bought Xbox because it is the first American console to be truly competitive. For the same reason, the Japanese probably won't get into Xbox too much, simply because of national pride. "If it isn't japanese, I won't buy it" attitude. Alot of people in the US (and Canada) feel the same way about vehicles, they only buy North American cars or trucks.

Xbox did great on launch day in Japan, it wasnt until this whole deffective unit thing got blown out of proportion. Can you blame the Japanese for not buying something from a company who at first said that the Japanese were just putting the games in the wrong way? Not to mention the fact that the Japanese dont have many games that could be considered worthwhile for them. This whole US product thing is bull****, it's a old used up arguement that has never made any sence what so ever. MS lost Japan not because it was a US product, but because of MS themselves lack the experiance, wich is ok because they are new to the console market, you cant expect them to get everything right the first time.

Afro Aura
04-10-2002, 10:47 PM

what RPG games are you into that started over here, all the ones i can think of that i really liked are from Japan.
hehehehe they started out as text rpg mate no graphics just plain text on those little old computers the Spectrum, C64 and so on, ahhh them where the good old days

Yes of course they do some great RPGs now, but if we didn't start with the old text RPGs where would all those cool rpg be coming from I mean I don't really like the American RPGs all there is are constant fighting no tactics involed where in the Japanese RPGs you have turn base fighting tactics needed I like Phantasy Star Online, which was done in a US style RPG and yes I know it a Japanese game it was a great thought from Sega (the best software company by miles) to make it the way they did for online play it was a very risky idea and I'm glad it worked, it's a great game online but on you own, man the game is so boring

I would agree with you about the great games coming out of Japan I love them too, I mean have you seen any brilliant beat 'em ups come out of the US or the UK, Killer Instinct and MK don't fit in here as there's no fighting in these games, all you have to do is remember some easy combos and the game is yours

JohnB
04-10-2002, 11:19 PM

Xbox did great on launch day in Japan, it wasnt until this whole deffective unit thing got blown out of proportion. Can you blame the Japanese for not buying something from a company who at first said that the Japanese were just putting the games in the wrong way? Not to mention the fact that the Japanese dont have many games that could be considered worthwhile for them. This whole US product thing is bull****, it's a old used up arguement that has never made any sence what so ever. MS lost Japan not because it was a US product, but because of MS themselves lack the experiance, wich is ok because they are new to the console market, you cant expect them to get everything right the first time.

You are blind if you think that way. Come to reality. In the Japanese business, American products have always been inferior to Japanese products. It's not just the Xbox; it's cars and other electronics. It's not a BS argument; it's an argument to consider. You just need to realize that the Japanese have always been that way.

NonFanboy
04-11-2002, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by JohnB

You are blind if you think that way. Come to reality. In the Japanese business, American products have always been inferior to Japanese products. It's not just the Xbox; it's cars and other electronics. It's not a BS argument; it's an argument to consider. You just need to realize that the Japanese have always been that way.

I realize the Japanese have always thought they made the best products, they certainly make alot of good ones. But you are missing the point, Xbox did great launch day regardless of being a US product. If MS replaced the deffective units sooner instead of saying the Japanese dont know how to use a disc trey, then they would probebly be selling alot more units right now. I think it was pre mature for me to say that Xbox lost Japan, but I dont think they will dominate it.

UnitedKingdom
04-11-2002, 06:45 AM
To be honest i'm tired of buying all this japanese crap, microsoft has changed things entering the video game business. The japanese are scared they're going to lose their dominance of the market. I say good riddance to them, all the games i enjoy are European and US, i've just had to play them on japanese consoles. Microsoft are the only company to stand up to the japanese and I say good luck to them!:cool:

Crazy Joe
04-11-2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Afro Aura

hehehehe they started out as text rpg mate no graphics just plain text on those little old computers the Spectrum, C64 and so on, ahhh them where the good old days

Yes of course they do some great RPGs now, but if we didn't start with the old text RPGs where would all those cool rpg be coming from I mean I don't really like the American RPGs all there is are constant fighting no tactics involed where in the Japanese RPGs you have turn base fighting tactics needed I like Phantasy Star Online, which was done in a US style RPG and yes I know it a Japanese game it was a great thought from Japan to make it the way they did for online play it was a very risky idea and I'm glad it worked, it's a great game online but on you own, man the game is so boring

I would agree with you about the great games coming out of Japan I love them too, I mean have you seen any brilliant beat 'em ups come out of the US or the UK, Killer Instinct and MK don't fit in here as there's no fighting in these games, all you have to do is remember some easy combos and the game is yours

You make a good point about the old text RPGs, which were originally and loosely based on the pen and paper ones like D&D, but I am sure that the japanese had things that were similar and expanded upon them. I can't say for sure, but the Japanese probably had similar forms of RPGs the same time we did.

dave_m123
04-11-2002, 01:37 PM
I'm not a huge fan of software from Japan. The only game company's that are worthy from Japan are Square and Sega (of the top of my head) IMO. Most games to come out of Japan are seriously overrated such as the Resident evil series for example.

OppiumNitrates
04-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Does the sale of the Xbox in japan make the games better?? dose it make the xbox faster?? when the sales in japan reaches 1 million do all xbox's across the land perform better??

NO NO NO

so y is it such a big deal if it does better then the other consoles over there??
im not saying to just ignore the sales over there but y make such a big deal out of it??

Of course it wont do as good as PS2 and GC they r the japan products and as some one said it before When it comes to busness japaniese are racist

Afro Aura
04-11-2002, 07:02 PM

You make a good point about the old text RPGs, which were originally and loosely based on the pen and paper ones like D&D, but I am sure that the japanese had things that were similar and expanded upon them. I can't say for sure, but the Japanese probably had similar forms of RPGs the same time we did.
Sure mate who know lets leave it as that.
I also agree with OppiumNitrates with the sales in Japan, SO WHAT if the XBOX is selling well in the US and Canada and I'm sure it will take a bit of time for Europe as the place it's crawling with PS2s and ripped games, there are more people in those countries than in Japan so if they have any business sense they will take this into account
When the XBOX starts it's next-gen work with brilliant online games and games that all programmers who has desired a machine with the power to do what they want ie Project Ego, I'm sure the PS2 will have a drop in sales of the machine and a bigger market for the XBOX

I hear it's selling well over 2 million in the US and Canada not bad for a machine that has just stepped into a market that was the domain of the PSX/PS2
Keep it going guys :D

GokuX
04-11-2002, 07:22 PM
I do like seeing an American company finally bringing back some pride as far as technology is concearned.