PDA

View Full Version : whats going on with the communicator??

xidna
04-08-2002, 12:15 PM
:eek: :o :eek:
someone plz help me. im going crazy just waiting for the communicator . does anyone know when is it going to go out. please reply me , im loosing it.
:eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Dre
04-08-2002, 12:25 PM
I'm thinking it will probably only be released once Xbox goes online. Before that, I don't really see the point.. can you use it in anything else? Why do you need it so much already?

I'm wondering if it'll work with gamespy.. that would be cool... but I don't see why people with system-link (this is the technology gamespy or xbox connecter use to get online) would need headsets to talk to each other...

Anyone know more about this thing, xidna has spiked my curiousity now!

Lates,
Dre

aronx
04-08-2002, 01:19 PM
If there wasnt so many god damn smiley graphics, I may not have to reply with a smart azz answer. Here is my smart azz answer: What kind of a loser are you that your want a god damn microphone to "communicate" with your little buddies online. Please dude, just kill yourself now.

JJaX
04-08-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Dre

I'm wondering if it'll work with gamespy.. that would be cool... but I don't see why people with system-link (this is the technology gamespy or xbox connecter use to get online) would need headsets to talk to each other...

If you really wanted to you could. If your PC + Xbox were in same room just use this.

http://www.rogerwilco.com

you set up a IP adress, And the people you want to talk to can join that Ip.

You can set it so your voice makes it broadcast, Or assign a key on the keyboard to broadcast

JJaX
04-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by aronx
If there wasnt so many god damn smiley graphics, I may not have to reply with a smart azz answer. Here is my smart azz answer: What kind of a loser are you that your want a god damn microphone to "communicate" with your little buddies online. Please dude, just kill yourself now.

Some people actually take there gaming to a world wide competetive level, Where you actually have to talk to your teammates in order to survive. I was in a UT clan and we did this. And im far from a loser.

So you have permission to STFU and sucK a Dik. Im tired of your negative post. Everytime you reply to a thread you gotta s4it on the topic. Whats the matter? Your boyfriend keeps pulling out of your ass? Your man doesnt swallow? WTF is up. Please share with us

silvertrace
04-08-2002, 01:36 PM
this might be a first, i agree with Jjax......being able to communicate with ur teamates would kick asss.......i play ctf online and sometimes my teamies arent on the same box and it would be nice to yell at them from time to time and ask why they aren't guarding the base......

i also know about roger wilco but will prolly wait for the MS communicator, just cuz i'm a Microsoft whore.....JK:cool:

khaos2005
04-08-2002, 02:38 PM
I agree with both of JJaX's posts.

Crazy Joe
04-08-2002, 03:18 PM
i don't really see the point before Xbox goes online, just to have it i guess and know that you can use it once online shows up. I heard some guys are going to utilise voice technology as well, so like in Halo, you can tell some marines to follow you or stay here and they would know what you said.

LynxFX
04-08-2002, 03:43 PM
I agree with JJaX too. I used to be in a hardcore UT clan and using Rogerwilco wasn't a perk it was a requirement. I played UT Assualt and we always had to know where everyone was and who was doing what like launching and getting certain goals while you go for the next one.

It also adds alot of fun for deathmatch. :D

aronx
04-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

Some people actually take there gaming to a world wide competetive level, Where you actually have to talk to your teammates in order to survive. I was in a UT clan and we did this. And im far from a loser.

So you have permission to STFU and sucK a Dik. Im tired of your negative post. Everytime you reply to a thread you gotta s4it on the topic. Whats the matter? Your boyfriend keeps pulling out of your ass? Your man doesnt swallow? WTF is up. Please share with us

Come on Jax, you know you love my seed. I know you have low self esteem, but I know you love my oak.

Skarp
04-08-2002, 03:49 PM
Roger Wilco is probably your best solution as of now I guess. Just play networked Halo and put your team in one room another team in the other. That will make it intense.

Hugh_Jass
04-08-2002, 08:17 PM
Don't forget about voice recognition. Of course, no games that we know of support voice recognition.

OppiumNitrates
04-08-2002, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew
i don't really see the point before Xbox goes online, just to have it i guess and know that you can use it once online shows up. I heard some guys are going to utilise voice technology as well, so like in Halo, you can tell some marines to follow you or stay here and they would know what you said.

what if your house is on a network and u wanta talk smack to the other team up stairs in a different room??

xbaaddict
04-08-2002, 10:17 PM
jjax i agree man i hate when people are always negative, just give it to them straight, if they remember grade school then they will remember this...If you dont have anything nice to say then SHUT THE HELL UP! or something like that

Crazy Joe
04-08-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

what if your house is on a network and u wanta talk smack to the other team up stairs in a different room??

i don't know if the communicator will work like that, that is a good reason though, never thought of that.

Tony Pearce
04-09-2002, 11:28 AM
I've just done some homework for you all and I've learned that the 'Voice Communicator' will be used primarily as a voice recognition input device.

Sefton Hill, producer of SWAT: Global Strike Team (which is one of the first games to utilise the unit) has said;

"Primarily, we're using the Voice Communicator in the single player mode, and having voice recognition allows us to have the player order his team around in the most natural way possible - by speaking to them"
" We have a lot of ideas for it, but I don't really want to give them away yet. But it's a while new input device. I think you'll see an increase in the immersion level of games that use it properly"

So, I'm hoping this will also carry over onto basic voice communications between players. A lot of companies have tried to use voice recognition in games to (very) limited effect. One that springs to mind was Star Fleet Academy where you'd bark out orders as fast as you could think them.

We of course have the Game Commander software for PC which maps keystrokes to voice commands, but this, if implemented correctly, could bring the XBox yet up another level.

Personally, I'm a racing man but I would love to use it on a RTS like Red Alert (if the rumours are true and it comes over to X Box).

Dre
04-09-2002, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the site, and thanks for the info! Voice-recognition in games is going to be really neat!