PDA

View Full Version : xbox games hacked!

Spaztic
04-08-2002, 04:57 PM
Just relaying the inevitable! Looks like the algorithm has been hacked to open all the games so that they can be burnt. Just a matter of time before this knowledge is going to be public....its really to bad? Hopefully this dosn't lead to the dismise of the xbox! :confused:

link (http://166.88.8.240/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=5;t=104)

silvertrace
04-08-2002, 05:01 PM
that link is coming up "this page cannot be displayed"....

Spaztic
04-08-2002, 05:07 PM
Whoops my bad.....Fixed the link:rolleyes:

Azazel
04-08-2002, 05:43 PM
Not to be rude....... I dont know why you even bothered posting that.. I read every post in that thread and all I actually got from it is that some guy named Bobie says he cracked the protection, but doesnt want to give out the info for fear of getting in trouble.

What does that really tell us. If I claim to have found a way to download xbox games off the net will you post my link as well. Ever heard the expression dont believe everything you hear??

Spaztic
04-08-2002, 05:48 PM
well ty I have been following the hacking scene for quite some time and I can say that Bobbie knows what he is talking about...Now take it as you wish...I am just giving a heads up to the near future!

Azazel
04-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Like I said I didnt mean to be rude. I just felt that until there was some proof it seems like a waste of a thread to get everyone all worked up.

If it is true hopefully Microsoft can change something in upcoming games to see that they are not pirated!:D

Bundy
04-08-2002, 06:35 PM
one thing to keep in mind, the current dvds for the xbox are pressed and are DVD9. The general public only has access to DVD5 burners.

Crazy Joe
04-08-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Bundy
one thing to keep in mind, the current dvds for the xbox are pressed and are DVD9. The general public only has access to DVD5 burners.

exactly, even if he can read the data on to his PC, he can't copy the discs, since you can get them anywhere. I think we're safe for a while.

Halo of Flies
04-08-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Gortholomew

exactly, even if he can read the data on to his PC, he can't copy the discs, since you can get them anywhere. I think we're safe for a while.
The DC used special 1GB discs but that didn't stop the pirating..

LynxFX
04-09-2002, 12:26 AM
One guy has played a burnt copy of Halo onto a CDRW on his Xbox. It wasn't the full thing of course and it required the original game to load first then he swapped it with the cd. I see it becoming possible soon. The whole DVD-9 vs DVD-5 is pretty mute at this time since I doubt any game so far uses both layers of the DVD-9.

sinizuh
04-09-2002, 12:32 AM
so you need the original game to boot the cdrw game?

what the hell is the point then? :P

LynxFX
04-09-2002, 12:34 AM
I thought the same thing. :D Guess the only point of the 'experiment' was to get a game ripped and running on a CDRW. Guess you can say they achieved that. What good it will do? No clue.

jschelm
04-09-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
One guy has played a burnt copy of Halo onto a CDRW on his Xbox. It wasn't the full thing of course and it required the original game to load first then he swapped it with the cd. I see it becoming possible soon. The whole DVD-9 vs DVD-5 is pretty mute at this time since I doubt any game so far uses both layers of the DVD-9.

I read that rumor too, but shortly thereafter saw a follow-up post that it was just an April Fools joke. Have you heard more on this?

JJaX
04-09-2002, 07:39 AM
Those forums are monitored by MS.

All they did there was unlock DVD playback with out a kit. No big deal. And the april fools joke was they got a burnt version of halo to self-boot.

Bundy
04-09-2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

they might not from a space requirement standpoint, but maybe they put stuff on both layers as to prevent somebody copying it.

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 10:05 AM

what this forum says is that they got the ripped games to boot, hence pirated games. plus you don't burn games you have the disk to, once they become advailable you will rip them via irq over the internet then burn them to a cd-r. None of the games on xbox will need to be burnt on a dvd-r because the size of games isn't that large yet! developers just fill up the games with useless code to fill up space, so the people breaking these games down just removes the excess code!

cornflake
04-09-2002, 10:47 AM
OK listen up for i know about piracy, The guy who booted halo up and did the swap, if it was an april fools day joke, used the swap trick and doesnt particulary mean it has to be the same game to be used to swap - all the games use the same CP so seeing as you can just boot a regluar game any game up til the point where it read the copy protection and then swapped it for the bootlegged version it would probably work

LynxFX
04-09-2002, 01:18 PM
My bad on the April Fools joke. I saw it somewhere completely unrelated and not on 4-1 so thought it was legit.

They could be burning onto both layers of a DVD-9 but that would raise production costs since it costs more to author a dual layer disc than just a single layer. The layer switch is basically done mathematically(in a way) not user specified so that is time and money to get it just right.

That is how movie DVD's are made but not positive if that translates to games as well.

Bundy
04-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by bryanhls

what this forum says is that they got the ripped games to boot, hence pirated games. plus you don't burn games you have the disk to, once they become advailable you will rip them via irq over the internet then burn them to a cd-r. None of the games on xbox will need to be burnt on a dvd-r because the size of games isn't that large yet! developers just fill up the games with useless code to fill up space, so the people breaking these games down just removes the excess code!

I also remeber reading a while back that on halo ( it could have been a diff game but i am pretty sure on halo), the music was 1.2 gigs. That in addition to the game code, graphics, etc would be more than enough to fill a cdr. And don't say they can remove the music, I understand that, but to most people it would be worthless.

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 01:34 PM
I also remeber reading a while back that on halo ( it could have been a diff game but i am pretty sure on halo), the music was 1.2 gigs. That in addition to the game code, graphics, etc would be more than enough to fill a cdr. And don't say they can remove the music, I understand that, but to most people it would be worthless.

I totally agree.....I guess we will have to wait and see. The xbox does have a harddrive so really anything is possible?!

mahalan
04-09-2002, 01:45 PM
Even if everything we've read is true, we're still a long ways away from publishers having to worry about people ripping off their games. Requiring all of the data on the DVD9 is pretty easy for a publisher with half a brain.

LINKINPARK8591
04-09-2002, 02:33 PM
i mean what is the point of even copyin the game when u will need the original copy anyways and plus like u guys say they can't really copy and all that stuff,................we shouldn't worry for a while........until we hear some other thing with proof that i can be done with out having to thave original copy along with the burned copy...................................we should just chill bout it for now until it does become serious............:cool: :eek: :( :confused:

http://fan.quasi-evil.com/mb/gallery/mb18.jpg
she's fine:eek: :cool: :D
http://www.sweet-misery.com/michellebranch/images/108.jpg

Spaztic
04-09-2002, 02:44 PM
i mean what is the point of even copyin the game when u will need the original copy anyways and plus like u guys say they can't really copy and all that stuff,................we shouldn't worry for a while........until we hear some other thing with proof that i can be done with out having to thave original copy along with the burned copy...................................we should just chill bout it for now until it does become serious

no offense but I don't think you know what the hell you are talking about. Once the games get hacked they are all going to be on some server and you will download then via irq to your harddrive then burn the game from the harddrive! No one said anything about taking a xbox game and burning it strait from the dvd to a cd? That is not going to happen!