PDA

View Full Version : Halo vs MGS2

MOlsen
04-08-2002, 08:11 PM
I'm trying to figure out how the Microsoft announcement today squares with previous information about the sales of MGS2. It is my understanding from reading various online publications that MGS2 pre-sold 1.8 million copies in the US alone. Microsoft claimed today that Halo was the fastest game on a next-generation console ever to reach 1 million.

I looked for a disclaimer in the Microsoft release, and remember reading something somewhere today about MSG2, but does anybody have a coherent explaination for why both sets of statements are true? Maybe MSG2 can also be run on a PS1, so it doesn't count?

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Halo to sell 2 million copies, and how long it will take to outsell FFX and MSG2, if those events happen.

Strider_32002
04-08-2002, 11:02 PM
um, Halo has outsold both MGS2 and FFX ( not combined ) me and my friend switched consoles for a week, i own x, he owns 2, and ps2 sucks so much, he has like 20 games and they all suck except for THPS3. Beleive it or not he has MGS2 and it sucks.

NonFanboy
04-09-2002, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by MOlsen
I'm trying to figure out how the Microsoft announcement today squares with previous information about the sales of MGS2. It is my understanding from reading various online publications that MGS2 pre-sold 1.8 million copies in the US alone. Microsoft claimed today that Halo was the fastest game on a next-generation console ever to reach 1 million.

I looked for a disclaimer in the Microsoft release, and remember reading something somewhere today about MSG2, but does anybody have a coherent explaination for why both sets of statements are true? Maybe MSG2 can also be run on a PS1, so it doesn't count?

It will be interesting to see how long it takes Halo to sell 2 million copies, and how long it will take to outsell FFX and MSG2, if those events happen.

I thought I read somthing about MGS2 selling over a million copy's from a EGM mag, I cant remember what issue it is. Anyway, 99.99% of the people who say MGS2 sucks have never played it before.

UnitedKingdom
04-09-2002, 05:58 AM
Thats because 99.99% of people don't want to waste their time. :confused:

JJaX
04-09-2002, 07:45 AM
I thought The halo annoucment was Fastest sold. Not most sold.

Liquid Gears
04-09-2002, 09:24 AM
Hey, In my point of view. Halo is old school. I DID like that game, but I finished that game way back in November. Sorry but Halo is Dead. Metal Gear Solid has always kicked some serious AAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! HALO IS NOTHING COMPARED TO METAL GEAR!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

JJaX
04-09-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Hey, In my point of view. Halo is old school. I DID like that game, but I finished that game way back in November. Sorry but Halo is Dead. Metal Gear Solid has always kicked some serious AAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! HALO IS NOTHING COMPARED TO METAL GEAR!!!!!!!!!! :cool:
*smack*

WTF you talking about? MGS games you play and beat it. Do it again and earn a new suit? Whoopty F'in Do!

Halo offers legendary, Co-op and multiplayer. I suggest you get online or play some legendary.....

*Legendary co-op is my favorite. If one player dies, 'revert to saved'

Im not saying MGS is a bas game (i loved MGS). But to say halo got boring is kinda wierd to me....

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 10:53 AM
replay value is what makes a "good" game GREAT .....HALO is a without a doubt one of the best games ever made, for that reason......

multiplayer alone makes it stand out, and now u can play it online.....i suggest u get out of ur Rip Van Winkle-like slumber and recognize.........

posting negative thoughts about halo will only get u flamed....:rolleyes:

shererboat
04-09-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by JJaX
Im not saying MGS is a bas game (i loved MGS). But to say halo got boring is kinda wierd to me....

to say halo got boring isnt weird to me, IMO thats absolute nonsense!!:eek:

halos the first game i played when i got my xbox, and its still in the drive the most now!!!

yeah, beating the game was fun, but i think JJaX and i have played the "Halo" level on co-op legendary about 3 times in april alone!!

and i dont think ill ever get sick of multiplayer (on line OR lan).......the only game that might take my interest away from halo multiplayer away is UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP.............

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by shererboat

to say halo got boring isnt weird to me, IMO thats absolute nonsense!!:eek:

halos the first game i played when i got my xbox, and its still in the drive the most now!!!

yeah, beating the game was fun, but i think JJaX and i have played the "Halo" level on co-op legendary about 3 times in april alone!!

and i dont think ill ever get sick of multiplayer (on line OR lan).......the only game that might take my interest away from halo multiplayer away is UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP............. I agree. Halo was the first Xbox game I owned, and I still play it to this day. I've gotten Max Payne, THPS3, and Rallisport since that time, but I still find myself booting up Halo more often than my other Xbox games.

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:02 AM
I thought The halo annoucment was Fastest sold. Not most sold. The Xbox had the highest attachment rate ever for a launch. Three games on average were sold with every Xbox in 2001. I read somewhere that over 70% of people who bought an Xbox bought Halo (you’d have to be a lunatic not to buy Halo).

JJaX
04-09-2002, 11:03 AM
Silvertrace, Your Siggy pic doesnt work. Its looking for "file:///C:/TEMP/halo_chief2.jpg"

That means only you will see it, being C:\ is you local HD.

JJaX
04-09-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by X-Factor
The Xbox had the highest attachment rate ever for a launch. Three games on average were sold with every Xbox in 2001. I read somewhere that over 70% of people who bought an Xbox bought Halo (you’d have to be a lunatic not to buy Halo).

Or better yet.....

Statistically, this means that more than six copies of Halo: Combat Evolved have been sold every minute of every day since its launch on Nov. 15, 2001. http://halo.bungie.org

:eek: :eek: :eek:

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:05 AM
so how do i fix it.........i've been clueless all along.........:(

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by silvertrace
so how do i fix it.........i've been clueless all along.........:( You can't see the image because it's on your harddrive. You need to host your sig pic on a website. Check out www.imagestation.com or www.yoursighost.com

JJaX
04-09-2002, 11:15 AM
so how do i fix it.........i've been clueless all along.........:(

Just get a picture you like. Get a valid URL for it.

Or do what X said, if you wanna use your own custom pic.

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:16 AM
thnx guys......i feel someone who's got a booger hanging and nobody tells em till its too late.......:(

btw....can u see the avatar?

JJaX
04-09-2002, 11:18 AM
thnx guys......i feel someone who's got a booger hanging and nobody tells em till its too late.......:(

btw....can u see the avatar?

Yes we can see that.......

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:19 AM

btw....can u see the avatar? we can see your avatar because it has a valid URL code.

BTW, if you can give me the link for your sig pic you got now, I can host it for you on imagestation.

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:26 AM
i tried to use both of those sites and they crapped out on me....meaning i signed up and neither one is recognizing my login.......sometimes i hate computers
:rolleyes:

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:34 AM
can u see it now...i got sighost.com to work........

thx for the help.....:)

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:34 AM
i tried to use both of those sites and they crapped out on me....meaning i signed up and neither one is recognizing my login.......sometimes i hate computers
:rolleyes: Dude, I tried to upload it on imagestation, but it says the image has an invalid format. It has to be a gif or a jpeg image to work on imagestation (not an attachment file).

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:35 AM
Hey, you got it working! :D

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:37 AM
yeah.....all i gotz is paintshop.....had to do my best with what i had............still i like this pic of master chief...

again...thnx for the help Jjax and X-factor.......

:cool:

X-Factor
04-09-2002, 11:39 AM
again...thnx for the help Jjax and X-factor.......

:cool: Yeah dude, anytime!

*adds silvertrace to buddy list*

:)

silvertrace
04-09-2002, 11:42 AM
cool deal.........:cool:

and who says the forums are full of @$$holes.......

JJaX
04-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Nice siggy Silvertrace.

/me likes

MOlsen
04-09-2002, 12:57 PM
OK, maybe I will be more blunt this time.

The Microsoft announcement was about being fastest to sell 1 million.

MSG2 sold 1.8 million, before it even hit the stores. You can't get any faster than that, right? So is somebody wrong?

For some of the other posters, FFX and MSG2 have gone double platinum, meaning they sold over 2 million.

JJaX
04-09-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MOlsen

The Microsoft announcement was about being fastest to sell 1 million.

MSG2 sold 1.8 million, before it even hit the stores. You can't get any faster than that, right? So is somebody wrong?

Apparently Not, If Bungie stated Halo was the fastest selling Video game, Then its the fastest selling video game. Why would they lie? Maybe MGS2 didn't take 1.8 million pre-orders?

Could you provide me with a Link to shut me up.....

Liquid Gears
04-09-2002, 01:16 PM

*smack*

WTF you talking about? MGS games you play and beat it. Do it again and earn a new suit? Whoopty F'in Do!

Halo offers legendary, Co-op and multiplayer. I suggest you get online or play some legendary.....

*Legendary co-op is my favorite. If one player dies, 'revert to saved'

Whooptiy F'in Do Legendary. Pff pethetic, it's practically Beginner Level. Have you tried Very Hard on Metal Gear Solid. Now that's fuuking Legendary, It's impossible. It would take forever to finish it. Anyway Multipayer!! The only good part in it is the vehicals and you only get two levels to use them. Pethetic!!! Co-op, again the only good thing is using the vehicals. But that blows, you always gotta fight with your friend who gets to drive the vehicals. Or, if your friend gets tired of playing, he will propably end up shooting at you or else they'll just quit playing. I mean you can't even save your Co-op missions!! Give up buddy, you don't wanna be playin' Halo all the time with your friend.

JJaX
04-09-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears

Whooptiy F'in Do Legendary. Pff pethetic, it's practically Beginner Level. Have you tried Very Hard on Metal Gear Solid. Now that's fuuking Legendary, It's impossible. It would take forever to finish it. Anyway Multipayer!! The only good part in it is the vehicals and you only get two levels to use them. Pethetic!!! Co-op, again the only good thing is using the vehicals. But that blows, you always gotta fight with your friend who gets to drive the vehicals. Or, if your friend gets tired of playing, he will propably end up shooting at you or else they'll just quit playing. I mean you can't even save your Co-op missions!! Give up buddy, you don't wanna be playin' Halo all the time with your friend.

I cant make you like the things i like. But i can comment on your taste of gameplay.

You are a TOOL

Im not gonna get into for the lack of my sanity............
Ill let your own weak ass post dig your own grave...(i can count 7 dumb ass things you said, in 1 post i might add, can you!)

MGS on Veryhard is harder than halo on legendary?! BWhahahaah Why cause you get no radar! Please get The Fuk outta here....Go play mine sweeper....

*JJaX Ignores Liquid Gears from here on out *

Strider_32002
04-09-2002, 06:08 PM
I AM DUMB ASS WHO HAS NO FRIENDS AND SLEEPS WITH PIGS, I IS BETTER THAN j00! XBOX HAS BETTER GRAPHICS. AND 99.99% OF PEOPLE SAY I SUCK THAT HAVE PLAYED ME!

maneatingcow-XBA reminds you all to be nice

monkeyman
04-09-2002, 06:13 PM
a lil harsh but still yeah you fool

MOlsen
04-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Jaxx,

This has been extensively discussed by Konami, and many others. It is not a well kept secret.

http://consolewire.com/news/item.asp?nid=2115

TEA
04-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Halo all the way. halo kicks major MGS ass but their kinda diff. mgs is stealth third person halo is warfare 1st person so two different genres don't mix.

GRAVEDIGGER
04-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Ill let your own weak ass post dig your own grave - JJax

Hmm?!? Did somone ask for a grave to be dug?
Well it seems like that is the case, seeing as how Liquid Gears speaks words that are dam near blasphemy! MGS2 better than Halo??!..**smack** **Backhand** dam son come to your senses, of course you're entitled to your opinion, but seriously...make sense man.

Halo wins by a landslide, compared to Metal G-a-y Solid simply because of the fact that halo doesnt have a dum ass pre-rendered FMV ever 6 seconds and every 10th consecutive hallway, and i quote "Go to the 5th door down this hall, on the left, in the storage room you'll find what you're looking for"....Pshhh all you were looking for was another dam cutscene..

Halo allowed YOU to play the game, not the other way around. Some complain about Halo's brevity as a whole game, but when you look at it, Halo had peeps playing their XBOX for HRS on end without ceasing and it still does!(Multiplayer & Legendary).......(Hogan Style)But i got one question for ya brother, what'ya gonna do? What'ya gonna do when Halo 2 runs wild on you?!?!

darianX
04-10-2002, 01:11 AM
Ok Liquid Gears...that's just uncalled for. Really. Fighting over which game is better. I don't know why Xbox fans are so ardent about loving Halo, and woe be to the one who speaks something negative about it. Games are games, and tastes are tastes.

Yes, I bought Halo before I had an Xbox. I played it through, enjoyed it quite a bit, then traded it in for store credit. Multiplayer doesn't jazz me at all, especially with a game that stuttered terribly at more than a few spots. Plus there's the issue of the "same level design over and over again". You know it's true...some of those areas were identical to the previous one. Then there's the blocky looking characters and framerate problems. Halo has flaws. Halo also didn't do anything new that wasn't done before, gameplay-wise. Co-op has been going on since Half Life, nice storylines have been going since Half Life too.

I simply can't imagine why people are so volitile about negativity towards Halo. The game isn't flawless and isn't doing anything new, except playing online with a console, which was also done before with the Dreamcast.

I guess the point of this rant is simply this: it concerns me GREATLY that a lot of people aren't buying and playing other great games on the Xbox. Halo isn't going to carry it....no single title will ever carry a console. In order for the Xbox to succeed it has to have games. Developers won't waste time making games for it if they don't sell. Right now, there are several fantastic games available and not one of them gets a fraction of the attention and discussion as Halo does. I've bought and played almost 20 Xbox games so far (still have 10) and I enjoyed all of them except one. Well, I've said enough, but think - how fast will the Xbox die if people don't buy the games?

UnitedKingdom
04-10-2002, 05:51 AM
I think things are gettin a little aggressive in here. People need to chill out.

JJax - go smoke some kick ass weed.

Liquid gears - have a sex change or something.

We all like xbox's, we wouldn't be here if we didn't. In the nicest way possible - halo is a very good game that kicks MGS2 ass.

and darianX is right, we all need to buy more xbox games!

xbaaddict
04-10-2002, 06:57 AM

I cant make you like the things i like. But i can comment on your taste of gameplay.

You are a TOOL

Im not gonna get into for the lack of my sanity............
Ill let your own weak ass post dig your own grave...(i can count 7 dumb ass things you said, in 1 post i might add, can you!)

MGS on Veryhard is harder than halo on legendary?! BWhahahaah Why cause you get no radar! Please get The Fuk outta here....Go play mine sweeper....

*JJaX Ignores Liquid Gears from here on out *

HALO NUMBER 1 ALL THE WAY BABY!!!!!!!

Rancey
04-10-2002, 08:15 AM
*closed*

(nasty posts deleted)