PDA

View Full Version : Why do all the good games get delayed???

No Fear 23
04-08-2002, 09:04 PM
Games like MOHAS, Dester Storm, and other good games that got delayed. most of the good games were supposed to be release in Q2 and they all r delayed till Q3-4. I know that most of them r being delayed to be released with the xbox online in the fall. i have been waiting for 2 months for some good games to come out, but they keep getting delayed... i know that they may got delayed to improve the game better, but its taking too freakin long!!.. it ****es me off.. dosent that bother u??how do u feel abotu that?:(

doughthe1st
04-08-2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by irule23
Games like MOHAS, Dester Storm, and other good games that got delayed. most of the good games were supposed to be release in Q2 and they all r delayed till Q3-4. I know that most of them r being delayed to be released with the xbox online in the fall. i have been waiting for 2 months for some good games to come out, but they keep getting delayed... i know that they may got delayed to improve the game better, but its taking too freakin long!!.. it ****es me off.. dosent that bother u??how do u feel abotu that?:(
I CAN AGREE WITH YOU ON THIS SUBJECT! I myself is waiting for GTA3 for the most part.

Xtopia
04-08-2002, 10:25 PM
Think of it this way...would you like a game that is crap but released on time...or would you like a delayed game that took foreeeever to be released? I would prefer the good, but delayed game! I know this is not the case for all games...but almost all!

doughthe1st
04-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by xtopia
Think of it this way...would you like a game that is crap but released on time...or would you like a delayed game that took foreeeever to be released? I would prefer the good, but delayed game! I know this is not the case for all games...but almost all!
I would have to say I agree with you. Simply becuase you have a point!:cool:

khaos2005
04-09-2002, 06:16 AM
Actually, you're all wrong. It's a scientific law that all good games must be delayed. It's that simple. :)

xfan2k2
04-09-2002, 06:27 AM
Halo wasen't delayed, wwf raw was.

Xbox Owner
04-09-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by xtopia

i agree with you 100%.:D

Bundy
04-09-2002, 06:43 AM
I don't think as many games are delayed as a lot of people think. The problem comes in when somebody sees a date at a retailer or fan site for a game. Then that date passes or the developers say another time, and then most of the community thinks the game is delayed. Now there has been cases where games are delayed but not for the most part. People need to find out and go strickly by what the developers/publishers say.

Morrowind is a great example of a game many think was dealyed. When in reality, developers always said spring 2002, and just recently bumped that to may. But ebgames had it at 2/15 at one point, so then a bunch of people got there panties in a bunch.

Skarp
04-09-2002, 06:50 AM
Usually when there is a thread like this and the answer is always: "Wouldn't you rather have a great game with no problems that was delayed than a rushed game with problems?

Following logical trends this would be the answer yet again.

doughthe1st
04-09-2002, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by khaos2005
Actually, you're all wrong. It's a scientific law that all good games must be delayed. It's that simple. :)

:mad: It's a scientific law that you don't know what your talking about khaos2005. :)

ftyards
04-09-2002, 10:21 AM
I hate it when games get delayed I wanted to be playing hunter the reckoning by now, but they can only be making it better so I am glad about that.

Hugh_Jass
04-09-2002, 11:40 AM
It's the classic software development triangle:

Pick One:
1) Make It Good
2) Make It Fast
3) Make It Cheap

The best games concentrate on quality. Budgets and timeline suffer as a result.

doughthe1st
04-09-2002, 11:51 AM
:cool: Ya'll got a point there.

Kooster
04-09-2002, 05:36 PM
I think that if game developers want to have lots of time to make a good game, then they should make a release date that is far in the future. It is very annoying to want a game and then have it delayed. Why can't game developers just be more accurate on estimating when they can release a game?

doughthe1st
04-09-2002, 06:22 PM
:eek: Well hotshot657, You have a good point and I can understand your view. The game makers should be more responcible about themselves and there games. I don't like it when they change,delay,alter, being secret,and lieing about games and releases. Myself along with other people don't have time for this crap! When they say something to the public, they should stick with it.
:)

khaos2005
04-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by doughthe1st
:mad: It's a scientific law that you don't know what your talking about khaos2005. :)

It's called joking around. You don't have to be such a smartass.

JimmieDoogan
04-09-2002, 06:34 PM
The majority of all good games get pushed back because they are good games. This extra time it usually takes to make a game better often ensures that it will be better. I say if it offers enough then do it. Halo for PC was pushed back a million and one times, only for its contract to be picked up by MS and released on the Xbox (and what a wonderful and worth while wait it was). If that game hadn't been pushed back so many times, I doubt it'd be as good, not to mention, on the Xbox. On the other hand, games like MGSX and GTA3 get hidden and pushed back because of business tactics. Do you actually believe so many PS2's would have been sold had there been a simultanious release of GTA3 on both Xbox and PS2. I would be willing to bet more people would have rather had the guranteed to be better Xbox version of that game than the horridly textured, bad frame rate with terrible popup and poly disappearance problems with the PS2 version. Not to mention the disc errors the game has from time to time due to the PS2's absolutely aborable hardware. Mind you, I own a PS2, but I can't honestly say that it has satifyed me as early on as the Xbox. In fact, since I bought my Xbox I haven't purchased even one game for my PoS2. I will only buy PoS2 games now if they are both, exclusive and worth the money. As it stands, no such games exist on PoS2's horizen. I know this crap makes me sound like an Xbox fanboy, but I am not. I do enjoy certian games on PoS2, such as GT3, Devil May Cry, Drakken The Ancient Gates, Soul Reaver 2 and many others, but nothing any one could ever say would convince me that my PoS2 will ever be able to reach the graphical heights my Xbox will. And there is certinly no possiblity for me to spend an EXTRA 140 dollars for my PoS2 to match my Xbox in features. Why spend 440 on a system that has worse graphics and sound than one that costs only 300 for the same properties PLUS extra graphics and sound features. Its just mass stupidity that most gamers are now encompassed by the PoS2. If they were actually educated they'd know they wasted money.

khaos2005
04-09-2002, 06:50 PM
Very well put JimmieDoogan. I agree with you fully.

TEA
04-09-2002, 07:49 PM
Most good game are delayed to make better or other reasons.But games like RAW Anchor just blowed that game like royal rumble two games that were a waste of time,money,energy, and creativity.

Whisper
04-09-2002, 07:56 PM
:( thats the first time ive seen your sig Xfan2k2 ... honestly it upsets me :( anyway! Good games get delayed because they like to jerk us around... freekin jerks

doughthe1st
04-09-2002, 08:34 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding khaos2005
:)

mrmp3
04-09-2002, 09:06 PM
Some titles never had release dates to start. OXM said sometime in May (at least that's what I heard), but EB never put anything up. So I knew it wasn't coming out anytime soon. But you got Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon to keep you occupied until then. I still don't see release dates for Brute Force, The Matrix, or any of those titles that have been discussed a lot. Like a lot of the people have been saying, games are actually delayed. It's kind of common in WWF games to be delayed (i.e. Warzone for 2 months, Attitude for 2 months, and Raw for 2-3 months) but I really don't remember games being delayed other than editing of content. Like GTA3 was all done, but they had to take a lot of stuff out like crashing into buildings and flying those huge planes. MOH:AA was also edited for blood. So now a days delays are only delayed for editing purposes not for making a game better. Until you see IGN have an exact year, month, and day, chances are the company has never announced (title here) is being released on the day EBGames.com said. But you got a point. The last good game I've played is Rallisport Challenge and if Ghost Recon doesn't have multiplayer, why should I buy it? The next 2 good titles I see coming are Morrowind and Red Card Soccer 20-02. You have to remember to, we are better off than PS2 was in their first year and a hell of a lot better than GC is right now (game wise). Once Xbox hits it's happy 1st anniversary, that's when allllllll your friends who own PS2's and GC's will either trade in their system for Xbox or keep it and buy an Xbox because that's when the true graphical power and gameplay capabilities will be opened up (which is actually a good thing since you'll have more people to play online and system link :) ) Signing off...

Hugh_Jass
04-10-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by hotshot657
Why can't game developers just be more accurate on estimating when they can release a game?

Proven game developers rarely give release dates. They have the luxury of saying that the game will be released "when it's done."

Unproven game developers are given release dates by the publishers. These dates may have no basis in reality.

Furthermore, writing code is both art and science. We aren't talking about flipping burgers here. It's extremely difficult to give an estimate with any amount of certainty because there are so many unknowns.

We all demand games that are technically superior than what has already been done. This means breaking new ground, exploring new techniques, and inventing algorithms. All of these are unknowns. How can you know how long something will take if it has never been done before?

Delays are compounded because there are always bugs (or design deficiencies) in the code. You can't estimate how long it will take for the game to be done because you don't know how many bugs are present.

And lastly, the design spec is rarely static. Changes may be mandated by the publisher or designer as a result of market trends or playtesting. This spec bloat will have to be grafted to the existing code, resulting in reduced efficiency and likely creating new bugs.

It's hard work writing code, especially something as complex as a modern game.

Xtopia
04-10-2002, 11:51 AM
How can you know how long something will take if it has never been done before?

Exactly! Hugh_Jass, thank you for the great post and great insight! You really know what you are talking about!:)

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 11:56 AM
Personally, I find it fascinating that game developers can actually put a launch date on a game that they are developing. I mean, to get everything to work perfectly the first time around must present astronomical odds. I believe games are delayed for two reasons: 1. Because nothing can be 100% the first time since no one is perfect, and 2. For marketing purposes - to gain more hype (which can be a very good tactic).

Personally, I'm looking forward to the delayed game: Hunter: The Reckoning. I am more hyped about this game since it has been delayed than if it wasn't.

Also, some games that are able to be played on-line have been delayed for the Summer on-line launch. :)

Xtopia
04-10-2002, 12:00 PM
Also, some games that are able to be played on-line have been delayed for the Summer on-line launch

That is a good thing! I can not wait for this summer!

Kooster
04-10-2002, 04:12 PM
Why do publishers make up release dates? Are they just guesses?

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by hotshot657
Why do publishers make up release dates? Are they just guesses?

Well, for the most part, most game development companies primarily say what quarter a game will come out. When the game is finalized, then, they set a launch date...atleast the smart ones do.

04-10-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
2. For marketing purposes - to gain more hype (which can be a very good tactic).

I was just going to write that. If a game is coming out in 6 months to a year there aren't too many people really super hyped up about it because it's so long away. People think, "hey, that's cool. I'll read up on it in 5 months." If a game were coming out in soon everyone would be like, "WOOHOO! TUBULAR! I WANT A HAT AND T-SHIRT!!!"

Originally posted by Maximus
Personally, I'm looking forward to the delayed game: Hunter: The Reckoning. I am more hyped about this game since it has been delayed than if it wasn't.

I can't wait for this game. I WANT IT NOW!!! I don't mean to pressure the dev. team of Hunter, but if they don't hurry up and get the game done perfectly I'm going to set myself on fire in protest. I've got to take one for the team.

doughthe1st
04-17-2002, 08:03 AM
:cool: One thing I learned is to be patient. You can never count on a game to be released on it's posted date. :)

JGennaro
04-17-2002, 04:02 PM
The thing is, sometimes the developers have pressure from magazines/Microsoft for some kind've estimation on when they will be releasing their game...they want to build the hype up but at the same time they are putting themselves under a time constraint..it's best for them to do it right when they are done with all the bugtesting and gameplay issues they run into than to just release it half assed and get a POOR review which will make sales die off relatively quickly once news of how cruddy the game is hits gaming mags/website reviews- Yes, I DO want many more high quality high scoring games to be released soon but whatever it takes, if it takes time so be it,...I'm willing to wait for excellence. :p

doughthe1st
04-17-2002, 10:13 PM
:) Good veiw on things!

Kleen
04-18-2002, 10:45 AM
Sometimes the devs jsut need extra time to get it right. Better late than buggy. Although, when games are repeatedly delayed, that's pretty much a guarantee that they WILL SUCK.

OppiumNitrates
04-18-2002, 10:51 AM
XOM said Marrowind was hitting the shelfs on Apr. 23 and now it May 15. . . although i can hardly wait for this game im glad it got delayed caus now it comes out two days after my semerter ends . . . . and thats good cauz i wouldnt get much skool work done with this game in my Xbox

JJaX
04-18-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Kleen
Sometimes the devs jsut need extra time to get it right. Better late than buggy. Although, when games are repeatedly delayed, that's pretty much a guarantee that they WILL SUCK.

I think in this situation thats not true. Extensive bug testing is difficult on such a open ended game.

Rapcrazzy
04-18-2002, 07:14 PM
<font color="#FF0000">everytime a game gets delay you know that game s its just keeps getting better and better . all good games has had a delay before.</font>