PDA

View Full Version : How do you rip CDs onto the XBox?

tennyson
04-10-2002, 02:18 PM
I know this is a novice question, but I've never really used my XBox to play music other than games. Can anyone tell me how to rip songs off of a CD and onto the XBox?

One more thing, there was a website that said you can can rip MP3s onto the XBox. Is this true? I thouht you could only do that with WAV files and such. Here is the link, is there any truth to this? Thanks in advance!

http://www.cheatcc.com/frames.html

Click on the XBox "codes" link, and then click on the "XBox System" link. The second last entry on this page is what I am referring to.

E-Xbox
04-10-2002, 02:20 PM
juss burn mp3s onto a cd-rw
then insert cd into xbox...
go to copy audio cd
copy it...
then during a game that has the option of selecting soundtrack..
select soundtrack u juss copied...

peace

P.S. WELCOME TO XBA!!!

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 02:48 PM
Exactly...it's very easy. You can only play your music during specific games...only games that have a "Music Manager" in them.

When you copy the music, you can select which tracks you want...and, you can even name them if you choose to do so. I didn't, personally, but, I wouldn't mind taking the time doing it. The problem is, I have over 100 tracks copied and naming them would take a long time! :eek:

Kraft
04-10-2002, 04:03 PM
Err.. before I go wasting some of my CD-RWs by finalizing them so the xbox will read them, can someone clarify something. I can copy cd's containing straight MP3s to my box? Or do I need to convert it to CD audio? This would mean the difference between 20 songs and 200 songs on a cd... Thanks,

KB

04-10-2002, 04:18 PM
I would also like to know more about this. I have some really good burnt CDs but Xbox wouldn't read them. CD audio? What's that? I don't know what to do. I'm a dope at this stuff.

l Maximus l
04-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by guest
I would also like to know more about this. I have some really good burnt CDs but Xbox wouldn't read them. CD audio? What's that? I don't know what to do. I'm a dope at this stuff.

Well, apparently, the XBox will read CD-RWs, not CD-Rs, though, I haven't tried it personally. I've heard that it will, though :)

Kraft
04-10-2002, 04:25 PM
I know it will read CD-RWs for sure, I have used them like that before. It will also read *some* brands of CD-Rs, I don't know which ones, but I know that some, but not many work. Same question is still posed: can it read mp3s off the cd instead of cd audio? If no response I guess I will go test it out on my own and report back:confused:

Liquid Gears
04-10-2002, 04:32 PM
The XBOX can only read DVD R's. The only way you can put your burnt songs in the XBOX is by burning your song trough a DVD burner on to DVD R's.

FlyBoy
04-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
The XBOX can only read DVD R's. The only way you can put your burnt songs in the XBOX is by burning your song trough a DVD burner on to DVD R's.

Thats not true... it works with many brands of CD-R and CD-RW's using a regular CD burner.

Originally posted by KraftSLU
Same question is still posed: can it read mp3s off the cd instead of cd audio? If no response I guess I will go test it out on my own and report back:confused:

Please do so KraftSLU and let us know. I've only done it with .wav files, but if mp3's work you could probably do it much quicker! :)

Kraft
04-10-2002, 04:37 PM
Sorry liquid, thats not true. You can rip songs directly from actual Audio CD's and burnt CD-RWs. Not a whole lot of music out there comes on DVD's yet, as there really is no need for 9 gigs of space to store all of 12-15 songs...

E-Xbox
04-10-2002, 04:50 PM
the files have to be converted in to audio files (wav)
u can not use mp3 files...

peace

Liquid Gears
04-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by FlyBoy

Thats not true... it works with many brands of CD-R and CD-RW's using a regular CD burner.

Please do so KraftSLU and let us know. I've only done it with .wav files, but if mp3's work you could probably do it much quicker! :)

What!!! Then how come I can't do it?!!!

UnitedKingdom
04-11-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears

What!!! Then how come I can't do it?!!!

Coz your xbox is very picky about which CD-RW and CD-R brands it can use. You just gotta find the right discs through trial and error, in fact i think there's a thread around here listing the discs that work.

And you cannot use mp3 files stuck on a cd.

But when a song is ripped to your hard disk it is encoded to Microsofts own WMA format at a 128kbps bitrate. I don't know if you could use WMA files made on your PC to transfer onto the xbox, who wants to try it?