PDA

View Full Version : To port or not to port?

crazyotto
04-11-2002, 10:47 AM
I don't know about you all but when I buy a game "only on xbox" has a big deal to do with me giving $$ away. RSC and Wreackless are the last to games I bought. Morrowind will be the next (PC and xbox only, so far...) but now I hear Wreakless will go to ps2

Xbox Hit Wreckless Headed to PlayStation 2

By: Shane Bettenhausen April 9, 2002 11:35 AM PDT
The German branch of MCV leaked first details of a PlayStation 2 port of Bunkasha Games' Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions. They report it as merely a rumor, but we can confirm that this port is in the works for a fall 2002 release. Expect first screenshots and further details on the port soon.

and we all know Halo will go to PC. Is it really all about the money, how many games no matter what, can they sell? How can wreackless go to ps2? What does that say for xbox, port everything? Just thought you might want to know.

l Maximus l
04-11-2002, 10:50 AM
Dude, personally, I don't really care if Wreckless gets ported. We all know that they will seriously have to downgrade the game for it to be able to operate on a PS2.

As for Halo on the PC, I think it's great! That game would only be possible to port to the PC and I believe that PC gamers deserve such an awesome game! Bungie, primarily, has us XBox owners in mind first, though. My prediction is that Halo 2 will be out on XBox long before the PC. :)

Ninja Scroll
04-11-2002, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I read about Wrecless getting yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn ported to PS2.
That game blows!

But on the topic of ports I feel if your gonna port dont try to charge me da full $50.00 beans for it!
Maybe $29.99 or $39.99, naw mean!

But I very, very rarely purchase hand me down money hungry eating ports.
Shoot, anyone that was dumb as me to buy that sorry ass MaxLame got uncalled for loading time. That game outside of the Matrix rip-off was wack.:(

The only ports I have ever purchased were all the Resident Evil from PSOne to DC.

I just dont support this way of marketing.

JJaX
04-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Yeah, I read about Wrecless getting yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn ported to PS2.
That game blows!

But on the topic of ports I feel if your gonna port dont try to charge me da full $50.00 beans for it!
Maybe $29.99 or $39.99, naw mean!

But I very, very rarely purchase hand me down money hungry eating ports.
Shoot, anyone that was dumb as me to buy that sorry ass MaxLame got uncalled for loading time. That game outside of the Matrix rip-off was wack.:(

The only ports I have ever purchased were all the Resident Evil from PSOne to DC.

I just dont support this way of marketing.

yeah wreckless blows seal nutz

But you dont believe in ports? Your not gonna get GTA3 when it comes out? I cant wait for GTA3.

l Maximus l
04-11-2002, 11:01 AM
I don't mind ports, personally....Like JJaX said, GTA3 will be HUGE!!

But, Ninja does make a point that Hugh_Jass made a week or so ago...it seems much more reasonable to sell ported games at a slightly lower price unless there are some nice "XBox Xtras" added to the game. A direct port like Max Payne is definately not worth $50 in my opinion. If Max Payne was polished up for the XBox, then, maybe the $50 would be the proper price tag. Just my $0.02 :)

Brevity
04-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Yes Yes always port. This biz is made 4 one thing and thats to make cash. So if ya get more porting do it. Just make shure you make quality products for all the systems you port to. That cash can then be thrown back into R&D for new bad ars games.

l Maximus l
04-11-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Brevity
Yes Yes always port. This biz is made 4 one thing and thats to make cash. So if ya get more porting do it. Just make shure you make quality products for all the systems you port to. That cash can then be thrown back into R&D for new bad ars games.

Good point, but, I just wish that atleast most companies that port games atleast have the console in mind. I mean, Max Payne seemed to have audio breakage in it when he was telling the story. I hated that!

Also, dude...HUGE props on your siggy!! :D

Brevity
04-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Maximus
Also, dude...HUGE props on your siggy!! :D
shhhhh if my wife say that chicky she would not like it. whispers But thanks, haha

Ninja Scroll
04-11-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

yeah wreckless blows seal nutz

But you dont believe in ports? Your not gonna get GTA3 when it comes out? I cant wait for GTA3.

How did I know this question would be asked ,... well as long as it's not another GTA3 thread then it's all gravy:p
But yes, GTA3 will be the exception. And outside of a wishful thinking of a FF port I dont see myself scooping anymore ports.

Just my .02 cents ,.....:confused: .. wait a sec, dats waximus's new catch phrase! :eek: DUHO!:D

Spaztic
04-11-2002, 11:40 AM
just want to add my 2 cents.

Wreckless had crappy gameplay! I feel most will agree. The controll on the cars was slow and unresponsive! The only thing that made the game was its graphics. So if it is going to be ported it will loose alot of its graphic luster. So I have no problem of ps2 getting wreckless ported to them because, it is going to suck! Enjoy ps2 owners. To bad kabuki warriors wasn't ported! I am sure the ps2 owners would have eaten that game up!

Duke
04-11-2002, 12:05 PM
For a good game, I could really care less whether it's a port or not. Obviously improved graphics/extra levels/whatever else is great.

When I buy a game whether it's a port will be the least of my concerns. After all, it will still go towards the xbox version. And IMHO ports are going to become more and more common.

Hugh_Jass
04-11-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm a purist. In general, I don't like ports.

If any developer can swear that no compromises were made when porting a game to the XBOX, then I'm all for ports.

If they promise that the game is just as good on the XBOX as if it were written natively for the XBOX, then I'm all for ports.

It seems that most developers will just do what it takes to make the existing code work on the XBOX. Yes, they throw in a few token enhancements, but overall it's no better than the original (usually PS2) version.

I didn't buy an XBOX so I could play PS2-quality games. I bought an XBOX for a next generation experience.

Duke
04-12-2002, 08:18 AM
Undoubtedly. I certainly am all for Xbox exclusive, or at least games that are specificall made for Xbox and then ported to other systems.

I guess the point of my previous post was more that other systems have games that are definitely worth playing. I will certainly buy them if I feel they are worth the cash. Port or no.

-Not much substance, but at least my total posts is rising-
whatever

Afro Aura
04-12-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by crazyotto

By: Shane Bettenhausen April 9, 2002 11:35 AM PDT
The German branch of MCV leaked first details of a PlayStation 2 port of Bunkasha Games' Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions. They report it as merely a rumor, but we can confirm that this port is in the works for a fall 2002 release. Expect first screenshots and further details on the port soon.
Come on Dude there is no way the PS2 can cope which the stuff thats going on I mean the game was running at 30 frames so what speed will it run on the PS2 LOL

Brevity love your signature dude, if you wifes looking it's the one on the left, hang on aarrgghh I've just turned dyslectic don't know my left or right hehehe

Ninja Scroll
04-12-2002, 11:59 AM
Outside of wack ass titles like Wackless,....er.. I mean Wreckless I dont see many , if anymore Xbox made games being ported to other console since it will look so much awful on a lesser powerful console.
I wonder how those money hungry gumps at Activision will feel once that garbage Wreckless on PS2 looks compared to the Xbox version.

Oh, and does Wreckless on the box art say "Only On Xbox" at the top? Anyone know?

Afro Aura
04-12-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Outside of wack ass titles like Wackless,....er.. I mean Wreckless I dont see many , if anymore Xbox made games being ported to other console since it will look so much awful on a lesser powerful console.
I wonder how those money hungry gumps at Activision will feel once that garbage Wreckless on PS2 looks compared to the Xbox version.

Oh, and does Wreckless on the box art say "Only On Xbox" at the top? Anyone know?
Well look at this another way if they can port it over to the PS2 doesn't that mean the XBOX it's using any of is awesome power

So just think of what the machine can really do when it's on FIRE (and I don't mean of fire literally, just in case there are any PS2 fanboys in here)