PDA

View Full Version : Regional Codes on Games

pbug
04-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Excuse my ignorance...but has there been a discussion on whether there are regional codes on games?

I did a search on the forum and found a couple of references...sort of helpful

In any event...does anyone know whether there are regional lockouts re: games? That is, there is a game that I believe is only sold in Europe (ISS2...a soccer game....there is a North American version MLS Extratime...but apparently inferior). Would this game work on a North American Xbox console?

pbug
04-11-2002, 02:55 PM
I'll answer my own question.

Just called Microsoft. They said there are territorial limits. I.e., no a European or Japanese game won't work on a North Amercian system.

Having discovered the obvious...are there alternatives?

Dre
04-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Hi there! I see your a fellow Ottawa citizen :)

Anyways, the answer to your question is yes. The games work the same way as DVD's as in PAL and NTSC regional coding standards are followed.

Dre
04-11-2002, 02:56 PM
Well, you beat me to it.. anyways.. I remember seeing something that converted from PAL to NTSC, but I'm not sure if that technology worked for games or if it was even for the xbox. I'll go look for the link...

pbug
04-11-2002, 02:58 PM
appreciate that!

Dre
04-11-2002, 03:00 PM
Here (http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=0&products_id=1687) it is. If you look at the description it says it works on video game consoles perfectly. I haven't heard from anyone using it though, so don't take my word of it working perfectly on Xbox. I'm sure you could find more info on it though...

alien_69
04-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Here (http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/product_info.php?category=0&products_id=1687) it is. If you look at the description it says it works on video game consoles perfectly. I haven't heard from anyone using it though, so don't take my word of it working perfectly on Xbox. I'm sure you could find more info on it though...

that item will convert video signals only. you would need something else to play a PAL or JPN game on a US xbox. i think a PAL or JPN game wouldn't even boot on the US xbox without some mod to the xbox.:confused: