PDA

View Full Version : need some more advise on net hookup

FuNkY mOnK
04-11-2002, 05:43 PM
Ok I’m all hooked up on broadband; I have a linksys wireless 4 switch port router hub, which also excepts cat 5 wire, now I have this all configured to run my desk top and two laptops which are wireless the desktop is my base. The question is, what will happen when I hook up my xbox will the router need to be reconfigured? Or do I just download gamespy load it, hook up xbox and play halo? Please untangle this web.:confused:

l Maximus l
04-11-2002, 05:59 PM
Did Funky Monk call? :D

Okay, this is what you do, buddy!

First, I want to say that you may have to configure the tunnel software, that's about it. However, if you have a firewall on your Switch, you might want to disable that if you want to create a game on Gamespy. To disable it, simply go into the internet, LAN, or Networking section under "My computer" and disable it. After you familiarize yourself with Gamespy, I strongly recommend downloading XBConnect.com's software :)

Requirements:

Broadband (which you have)
CAT 5 Patch cables (you need three, make sure they are not Crossovers)
Switch (you have this, too)

Installation:

1. From your Broadband modem, connect the first CAT 5 patch cable into it and the other end of the cable into the port labeled as "uplink" on your Switch.
2. From your Ethernet port, on the back of your computer (it's the only port that a CAT 5 cable can plug into), input the second CAT 5 patch cable into it and input the other end into Port 1 on your Switch.
3. Finally, from your XBox, input the final CAT 5 Patch cable into the back of it and input the other end into Port 2 on your Switch.

Just launch Gamespy Arcade and you're set!! PM me or reply to this post if you have any further questions! :)

FuNkY mOnK
04-11-2002, 06:34 PM
Thanks max a pleasure as usual, btw tonight I asked the guy at eb if he knew how to hook up and if he uses gamespy, his reply was, why would anyone want to play against someone who eats sleeps drinks halo, he plays occasionally and said one night this guy came in from nowhere and wasted ten people before he could fire off one round. This sounds pretty gruesome, just wondering how do you guys hold up, or is it frustrating. Where can I sign up for boot camp? :D

CodeMonkey
04-11-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Ok I’m all hooked up on broadband; I have a linksys wireless 4 switch port router hub,

if its a cable/adsl router then it may have its own firewall, which u will need to turn off through your browser or the device software...
also if u use one of your wireless pc to host, make sure u have the encryption turned off...................

:p

l Maximus l
04-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Where can I sign up for boot camp? :D

hehe...if you truly want to sign up for boot camp, dowload the free software from XBConnect.com! That's where the real tough players are! By far, most of their training was on Gamespy. I mean, the idea of "training" sounds kinda strange if I think about it...but, it really is training! I can't believe how much I have improved with Halo ever since I got on-line! It just gets better and better and better!!!

Just make sure you learn all of the multi-player levels...know where all the weapons are and so on. Also, never, and I mean, NEVER forget that you have grenades! I have wasted so many people because they forget those precious little things! :D

Also, if you host a game, make sure your ping rate is lower than 150ms...otherwise, you may lag...you'll know what lag is when you play on-line. Try to avoid it as much as possible! It makes life so much nicer! :D

There's my advice! If you want to play tonight, look me up! My Gamespy ID is [XBA]-Maximus :)

FuNkY mOnK
04-11-2002, 07:03 PM
I don’t think it will be soon max, this networking is all way over my head, with all this talk of fire wall and hosting this sounds very confusing. My biggest fear, is losing my configuration on my router, I was walked through with tech support and I would have never figured it out, especially when the tech says throw out that manual an alien wrote it.

FuNkY mOnK
04-11-2002, 07:10 PM
code monkey thats a nice sig pic you have there.

CodeMonkey
04-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Cheers funky monk..
I would not worry about your set-up for your router. If u get stuck then like max said just give him a shout. I own a wireless router and im a Cisco Tech so I’m sure I could lend a hand…..
:D