PDA

View Full Version : I'd rather play Xbox games than games on my high-end pc



xboxer2002
04-12-2002, 11:59 AM
I don't know about all of you, but I hate playing games on my pc.There's just too much of a hassle involved in pc gaming with downloading patches ,compatibility issues, etc.Xbox, you just pop the game in and go.Alot of my friends will only play games on their pc's and think the xbox is nothing more than a pc console gaming machine.Besides, they don't make a 36" pc monitor.What's your take on this?

l Maximus l
04-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Personally, I agree....the PC has some seriously sweet games, though! But, there's nothing like the comfort of sitting on your own chair or couch versus sitting in a stiff desk chair :D

Brevity
04-12-2002, 12:26 PM
Just got a new PC check it out on the off topic forum,,,Anyway R U serious? I love PC game I have Dungeon Siege on the brain right now It also in the OTF, well to each his or her own, but 4 me its take it however you can get it,,,,MOHAA rocks 4me to right now.:)

Hugh_Jass
04-12-2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002
Alot of my friends will only play games on their pc's and think the xbox is nothing more than a pc console gaming machine.

I agree with your friends and that's exactly WHY I bought an XBOX. It's the best of both worlds.

Kraft
04-12-2002, 01:05 PM
The thing I love most about gaming on the xbox is the controller. I have *never* found an actual gamepad for the computer that I have been happy with, and usually when I do get them they have a tendancy to either break or bee incredibly hard to configure so half my buttons don't work. DOA3 would look cool on my pimped out computer, but it would play better on the box!

OppiumNitrates
04-12-2002, 01:09 PM
yeah xbox is a better gameing machne then a PC

1. the controller, you cant hook it to a pc and mouse and keyboard suck
2. i dont have surround sound for my PC. . . . do you??
3. that couch/chair vs stiff desk

Bakeman
04-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
yeah xbox is a better gameing machne then a PC

1. the controller, you cant hook it to a pc and mouse and keyboard suck
2. i dont have surround sound for my PC. . . . do you??
3. that couch/chair vs stiff desk

Yes I do have surround sound for my PC, SB-Live X-Gamer with Cambridge 5.1 speakers

And I have a nice leather chair that is probably more comfy then any couch in my house and it only cost $100 dollars. (thank god for grandparents lol)

I'd have to say any FPS for the Xbox would be 100 times better on the PC. Halo, would have looked better on the PC, sure it looks great on the Xbox, but seriously it's not as good as it can be. Raven Shield is coming out, gonna be online, gonna use the communicator, I'll be buying it on the PC just like I bought R6, RS, UO, BT, for the PC.. FPS are not meant to be played with two analog sticks, it's not right.. MOUSE and KEYBOARD BUT because of ALL the crap microsoft would have got about the Xbox being a PC if they came out with them they didn't.
Unless you have a HDTV to use the really high res with the HD Advanced A/V pack then PC will always be able to look better (talking high end PC here of course, no Celeron/Duron 700mhz CPU with a TnT2 video card can compare lol, in that case xbox all the way)

Look at Morrowind.... that game seems like it is gonna ROCK!
But wouldn't you know it, the PC version is gonna have extra features. Such as map creator (or something like that) and if I remember correctly I saw a video I think at gamespot that a guy said the graphics would be a little better on the PC. As for online gaming for either Xbox/PC I'm unsure of...

Anyways, Xbox has it's strong points.. sports games for example, a few years ago NBA Live 2001 I think it was.. was kick butt for the PC and way better then the console version. But now I don't even think they came out with a 2002 PC version.
And Madden, OMG! the PS2 versions are 1 year AHEAD of the PC version... WHY?!?!?!?! have no clue.. It use to be way better on the PC.

That's why I got a Xbox, it has it's strong points, but it is not the best gaming machine for eveything.

Well I just looked over what a wrote, sorry it's so long. Those are my opinions please don't think I'm trying to bash anything or anyone.

Bakeman
04-12-2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by xboxer2002
I don't know about all of you, but I hate playing games on my pc.There's just too much of a hassle involved in pc gaming with downloading patches ,compatibility issues, etc.Xbox, you just pop the game in and go.Alot of my friends will only play games on their pc's and think the xbox is nothing more than a pc console gaming machine.Besides, they don't make a 36" pc monitor.What's your take on this?

Yeah downloading patches can be a pain, but it's nice to know that company's can make a patch to fix a bug in the game isn't it?
Sure I think some game makers take advantage of it to much. They release a game before they probably sure and just patch it later. That kinda stinks because right away you are stuck with some bugs. And sure there are compatibility issues but how many do you still have? It's been a long time since I've seen one. Oh excuse me, I think Ghost Recon had one with Voodoo 3's the main menu text didn't show up correctly with that video card, but I always thought of that as motovation for the people with that old card to finally upgrade (lol, seriously old card)

Ninja Scroll
04-12-2002, 01:47 PM
PC's re to much of a hassle, you have to worry about say too many things such as the right graphics chips, ect.

Sticking with a single console system is all one needs.
No worries bout upgrades and all that stress.
Though the PC has some hot joints I just was never one who second guessed on trying it out.
PC's are mean for gaming to me. I just the PC for chatting with my XBA dawgs, emailing and peeping out da porn sites!

j/k about da later joint!:D

jeah
04-12-2002, 02:11 PM
I totally agree with xboxer2002. I spend way too much time on my computer doing homework and various programming assignments. I get sick and tired of sitting at my desk playing video games. I like the comfort of my couch where I'm much closer to the fridge and there's a lot more room for beer.

I do admit that there are some awesome games for pc, but I just don't enjoy sitting at my computer playing them.

FlyBoy
04-12-2002, 02:13 PM
HAHA, well for me... my computer monitor is actually bigger then the TV I play on (13" POS Sylvania), but thats another story. I just prefer the controls and consoles over playing on a PC.

OppiumNitrates
04-12-2002, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Bakeman
Yes I do have surround sound for my PC, SB-Live X-Gamer with Cambridge 5.1 speakers

Thats awsome but i dont have for PC only my TV



Originally posted by Bakeman

FPS are not meant to be played with two analog sticks, it's not right.. MOUSE and KEYBOARD

Sorry have to disagree there, just cauz the first one made used the mouse and keyboard dont mean that thats the best way. . . now the n64 controller sucks for FPS. . . . but i belive the x-box controller is great for FPS

answer this if u had halo for ur PC whats ur button set up
left click to shoot and right for granadde is good but. . .
what button is jump 'j' ??
what button is turn light on?
what button is reload/action??

the conrtoller puts all buttons u need right in front of u so ur not searching for it



Originally posted by Bakeman
Look at Morrowind.... that game seems like it is gonna ROCK!
But wouldn't you know it, the PC version is gonna have extra features. Such as map creator (or something like that)

this is only because the game is made on a PC and they can include these kind of things but i can almost garentee that it will be on a seperate CD besides thers no spec's to follow on PC and no real size issue
they can make the game as big as they want for PCs but they have limitations on consoles

LynxFX
04-12-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates

Sorry have to disagree there, just cauz the first one made used the mouse and keyboard dont mean that thats the best way. . . now the n64 controller sucks for FPS. . . . but i belive the x-box controller is great for FPS

answer this if u had halo for ur PC whats ur button set up
left click to shoot and right for granadde is good but. . .
what button is jump 'j' ??
what button is turn light on?
what button is reload/action??

the conrtoller puts all buttons u need right in front of u so ur not searching for it


You would have to be an idiot to setup the controls like that on the pc.

I agree that FPS are best played on the PC with a mouse and keyboard.

Mouse, does all the aiming.
left button: primary fire
right button: secondary fire
middle button: flashlight
scroll: switch weapons
thumb button: reload
S: move forward
X: move backward
A: strafe left
D: strafe right
Q: option 1
W: option 2
E: option 3
Left Shift: Crouch
Space: jump
Left Alt: Option 4
F: Use key/ Action

All of those keys are hit without looking or moving my hand. You have way more options than what can be available on any console controller. Best thing is that all my FPS games are setup the exact same way. So I don't have to relearn each game. I just have to remember what I put for the different option keys if anything at all.

I also have surround sound for my pc but the setup in the living room is better, so my Xbox sounds better. I also play it on a 110" screen but I can play my pc on that as well. So a tie there. I do like the higher res a computer game puts out and online play on a computer still wins hands down but that could change when Xbox online arrives.

The console is great for when friends are over though. Fighting games are practically pointless on a PC. The ease of just turning it on and going.

The whole "pc's are too much of a hassle and have all these upgrades" is pretty debatable. The biggest problem is usually the user, not the pc. If you know what you are doing then you rarely have to fix anything. If you are one of these people that downloads and installs a dozen new programs each day then you will have problems. I like the idea of patches as well. Like take MOH:AA for example. They removed the blood from that game and the Xbox version will be the same. But on the PC version you can download a patch that puts the blood back in. You won't have that for the Xbox version. That is minor but it is a plus that the PC has. Plus the mods etc.

I think it is pointless debate though since both have different uses to me. I use the Xbox for something quick in the living room and when friends come over. I use the pc for the hardcore gaming and FPS.

OppiumNitrates
04-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx


You would have to be an idiot to setup the controls like that on the pc.

I agree that FPS are best played on the PC with a mouse and keyboard.

Mouse, does all the aiming.
left button: primary fire
right button: secondary fire
middle button: flashlight
scroll: switch weapons
thumb button: reload
S: move forward
X: move backward
A: strafe left
D: strafe right
Q: option 1
W: option 2
E: option 3
Left Shift: Crouch
Space: jump
Left Alt: Option 4
F: Use key/ Action


hey man im not saying your wrong. . . im saying i dont play FPS on a PC cuse i HATE the controls. . . i used to play action adventure game (Kings quest and stuff) on PC but now i play xbox

if u like to play with a mouse and that keybaord set up thats cool for u brotha whatever floats ur boat and dont sink mine. . . . i just thin it sucks playing like that

Bakeman
04-12-2002, 03:59 PM
I think Xbox/Halo did a good job setting up the controls the way they did...

it is easier to aim with a mouse then a stick..

and that was a good setup for the buttons on a keyboard/mouse
I love the explore, I'm not sure how I lived without it :) having 5 buttons on the mouse is GREEEEAT! :)

Bakeman
04-12-2002, 04:02 PM
"I think it is pointless debate though since both have different uses to me. I use the Xbox for something quick in the living room and when friends come over. I use the pc for the hardcore gaming and FPS."

I think I'm the same way....

If someone could make a decent football game.. I'd probably play that 99% of the time. It's kinda funny how I play a game for example (Unreal Tourny) and get bored of it after just a month or so.. but I can play a good football game for just about 1 year :)

for some reason I didn't like Madden, 2k2, or Fever
come on 2003 football, be good! lol

l Maximus l
04-12-2002, 04:13 PM
I've, primarily, been a console gamer. I enjoy my PC games, however, I use my computer for work purposes mainly. Upgrading my computer is not something I enjoy and to be dead honest, half the time I have no idea how to successfully implement things the first time around. People like Lynxfx are the exception, though..he knows what he's doing.

To me, it's all about just playing the games. But, I prefer my XBox and chillin' on my couch. I really enjoy multi-player games...and with the PC, you can't really do that unless you have some buddies bring over their computers, set them up as a LAN, and then start going. To me, I just like the convenience of shoving the game in, having it work, and the only mess to clean up is a plethera of beer bottles :p

Bakeman
04-12-2002, 04:26 PM
well dude for PC games... MP is all about getting online and playing with anywhere from 3 upto thousands of players (depends on game of course)

I play Urban Ops with about 14 other people online at a time.. and I know about 50 or so people online that play it..

Kraft
04-12-2002, 04:39 PM
I think the Xbox and the way it is set up is going to suprise people on how many more great PC games we are going to see ported over, or probably just developed simultaneously for the Xbox and PC market at the same time. The first time I picked up a controller for the box the first thing that popped into my head was, wow. this is going to make a lot of things possible. PC ports have been tried before and have sucked major balls. Command and Conquer for the N64 (gag, what a waste of a great game...), quake for anything other than PC. True, nothing will beat a mouse and keyboard for FPS. I can frag someone in quake3 with a rail gun while flying through the air off a jump pad even if their half a map away from me. Thats something that is near impossible with a controller. I do think this controller is going to let us see some more styles of games that play well, like RTS games for instance. I can totally picture playing starcraft with my controller... though I do hope I will someday have a keyboard to trashtalk online!

OppiumNitrates
04-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
... though I do hope I will someday have a keyboard to trashtalk online!


What the f*** do u neeed a keybaord for when u cn talk s*** directly to people with the voice communicator

LynxFX
04-12-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates



What the f*** do u neeed a keybaord for when u cn talk s*** directly to people with the voice communicator

Or with Roger Wilco on the PC.

Skarp
04-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Wow, I can't believe some of the things I am reading in this thread. The PC is definetly hands down a better gaming machine than the xbox. But the xbox is still a great system because it is convinient, unlike the PC. And alot cheaper for that matter.
I would much rather play a single player or 2-4 player game with the xbox than on PC. But for massive online games I would choose the PC.

Brevity
04-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
The thing I love most about gaming on the xbox is the controller. I have *never* found an actual gamepad for the computer that I have been happy with, and usually when I do get them they have a tendancy to either break or bee incredibly hard to configure so half my buttons don't work. DOA3 would look cool on my pimped out computer, but it would play better on the box!
Dude good news I read that there will be a adapter that will let you use your XB troler on the PC. Now where did I read that?

Kraft
04-12-2002, 05:43 PM
Yeah, thats not too hard to believe since it is a USB controller anyways. The only thing is... there is one extra wire that the Xbox controller uses over how many PC USB supports. Im pretty sure that feeds in the power to the rumble packs, so this adapter might have trouble with the vibration feature. The only other hurdle is to create a software package that will hopefully let me use every button on my controller:rolleyes:

tech
04-12-2002, 08:03 PM
I was a diehard PC person for years and years. I bought a Geforce3 Ti200 card for $200 a month before I bought my Xbox. It is just to comfort of playing a game and not worry about what patch is needed directx version nvidia driver version, etc. Games are optimize for the xbox. Stop the upgrade madness. It is never fast enought on the PC for me. Now its great to go home and lay on the couch or floor and play games. I sit in front of a computer all day at work. It is just nice to play games.