PDA

View Full Version : Online? But when?

SeTH
04-12-2002, 05:40 PM
I just want to make sure if anyone has heard anything about the XBOX online plan other than it' coming Summer of 2002. And I want to make an announcement, I have found a way for me to get broadband service to where I live. The guy in town that runs the DISH network store also does Wireless T-1 and they will setup a Transceiver as a relay point at my house and then it will serve 10 people within a 1 mile radius around me. The really cool thing is though that setup is free for me and since the Transceiver is at my house the monthly payments will be cut in half so I will only have to pay about $15-20 a month for a Freak'in Full T-1 line!!! The service that provides this is 3Com and I can hook as many things up to it as I want to!! :cool:

Wireless Connection
http://microserv.com/images/Download-Demo-Bar.gif
Dial-Up Connection
http://microserv.com/images/Download-Demo-Bar1.gif
http://microserv.com/products/wireless/sign.jpg

SeTH
04-12-2002, 06:04 PM
man doesn't anybody talk on my thread? TALK NOW OR I WILL SPILL YOUR INOCENT BLOOD!!!!

l Maximus l
04-12-2002, 06:28 PM
Great news, man! Now get your ass on-line so we can duke it out or team up during a nice long session of Halo! Congrats, bud! :)

Chr0nik
04-12-2002, 10:35 PM
Do you realize that it is pretty much impossible to have a T1 connection for that price. Wireless technology also has it's downsides.

SeTH
04-13-2002, 03:30 PM
well it's not impossable, it is so cheap for me because there setting up the relay tower at my house so I guess they want to give me a discount for setting up equipment to run their business at my house. And the cool thing is that the way he has it set up we'll be looking at constant speeds of about 600 kbps - 1500 kbps so I will be smoking the wires pretty much! The only downside that I can see is that I can only host games in my area to the people that have the same service if I want to play online I have to join a game. But that is good becuase It makes it so I don't share my ping time with others which means me staying at a good constant speed. :D

SeTH
04-13-2002, 03:33 PM
and now that I ythinks about it MICROSOFT really made a good choice by going broadband only for XBOX. That means no 56Kers!! which means practically no lag cause we are all around the same ping time!!!!

Hugh_Jass
04-14-2002, 04:40 AM
I have done exhaustive research in this area. I was contemplating starting a wireless ISP earlier this year. There are some things you should know.

1) T-1 sounds good, but it's the same download speed as most cable modem users. Back in the days of @HOME I was getting 2X T-1 speeds. Now I'm down to 1.5Mb/s down, 128Kb/s up.

2) The wireless spectrum is shared. While you will have access to a full T-1, that is not the same as dedicated access to a T-1. If some kid is downloading SVCD movies all night you will not see 1.5Mb. The more users on the network, the less share of the bandwidth you will get.

3) Most wireless ISPs cap their users DL speeds in order to cram more people on the frequency. I'm not saying yours does at the moment, but at some point economics will override market penetration. It's a tough business. As a relay station, you will probably get about $2500 worth of equipment installed at your house. Each of the ten subscribers hanging off your gear will similarly have about $1000 worth of equipment. That capital expense is hard to recoup at $40/month and still have enough leftover to pay the phone company for the T-1 line.

4) Your ISP is probably using the free spectrum...because it's free. This means there are no restrictions for anyone else to set up a similar service and compete for bandwidth within the same frequency, meaning your speeds will decrease.

5) The free spectrum has restrictions on broadcast strength. If you live less than a mile from the origination point you could see 2Mb/s. If you live less than two miles from the origination point you could see 1Mb/s. The farther away you are the less bandwidth you get.

6) The free spectrum is subject to interference, which reduces your bandwidth. Common sources of interference are trees, moisture (rain, snow, fog), microwave ovens, and cordless phones. Thus, if your neighbor is cooking a pot pie your ping times may increase.

SeTH
04-15-2002, 05:43 PM
well sound intersting.
He did say that trees ground out the signal. Also he said it would cost around $5,000 to setup all ten people and I was about 1/3 of that cost. I went in today and it was snowing (in April!! that's IDAHO for ya') I asked him if snow bogs down the signal and he said it actually strengthens the signal cause natural moisture in the air cleans crap out of the signals path but, it makes trees more groundable to the signal. All in all I really am excited to get this due to the cheap price and also I will be able to play online with you guys!!! Oh yeah he cut down the price becuase since his Broadband is the only service we can get in my area he wants people to get it and get interested in it becuase right now he only has 10 customers hooked up to it.