PDA

View Full Version : FoN gets Alpha version of Morrowind last week!

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:48 AM
Well I read it and it seems that the problems some sites have noted of the game has had has been delt with. Over @ XenGen (http://forums.xengen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31980) :) Today b/c your all the best bunch of Jerks anywhere I will cut and past this big mother. And I know I know your name is Brevity. Well This could be seen as a brief look at such a big game. B/side I picked the name way back to mean when you play me the game will be short b/c I will kill you quickly. And for other reasons. So if you will be all be nice I will post it.

"OK...................where to begin. For all those that care enough about the game you all know quite a bit of what it's all about. I will allow you all to discover this on your own when playing the game and here at this link you can find all that you will ever need to know if you do not already..........

http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/de...owindqa22.shtml

Beyond this everything is open-ended, I mean everything. I quess the most important thing I can do or say here is talk about the all important controls and camera, along with some intial thoughts and aspects of my 6 hour adventure last night.

Controls............. Well it is always a concern, well don't be concerned all is well. Anyone around here ever hear of a little game called HALO??? well the same dual-analogue movement system is in with this game..........sweet. The right trigger attacks with whatever weapon or spell you have equipped, and the buttons on the right operate menus, pick up objects and so on. Inventory screens are quick and straightforward. Chit-chatting with npc's is done with a list of keywords on the right side of the screen. Very deep but simple and intuative.

Camera............. Totally effecient, did you like Halo's camera??? Well then you are fine here. There is a crosshair that is used to determine which objects you will focus on and interact with at any time as well. These two things camera and controls are in my opinion very important, they can even make or break a game, and Morrowind has passed with flying colors.

Graphics........... The game uses the more advanced technolgies here as well............very high level of textures,realistic and done in a non cookie cut format. The polys counts are at about 5.000 polys for some charcters and look real good with the fine detailed textures. Other charcaters while not so high in poly count still look very good due to very good texture layouts and design. Animation was a bit of a concern to me but that too past the test nicely. Skeletal based animation is in and lookinf very smooth. Real time shadows too are very well done and they come with different levels of shadows, another nice touch. And then there's the complete weather system ............All ever changing as the game moves on, a real good system seems to be at work with this.......and trust me the weather influences everthing in this game. From your footing to what may be happening at certain times due to the weather. Just another factor in the vast open-ended gameplay. The landscape is vast, scaled to very massive environments, and it's all open in all directions, it's up to you where you go. The water is reflective, and ripples realistically as you swim through it, or as the rain hits it, very beautiful and a pleasure to look at.

Now I do not want to spoil anything for anyone........so I will just give the most basic aspects of my 6 hour experience.................

The game starts with you on a prison ship which lands onto the island of Morrowind. You have the simple clothes of a peasant but....................a letter from the Emperor as well is in your possesion.................already the intrigue begins, you will have to play to find out more about this mysterious letter.......... I will not say more...........

Develop/Create your character

You have options here as well, you can choose one for yourself, you can answer questions to help you figure out your role and character, or you can customize your own personality .................options abound in this game. There are Three guilds ................ Mages, Fighters and Thieves........ More than 500 basic spells. 480 billion different characters to create and play as. 300,000+ hand-placed objects. You getting the picture yet??? Before getting too deep which is a very easy thing to do with this game I point you to the link above for all the answers known to this point.

And from here....................... well, it's pretty much up to you, it is totally open-ended. Go where you want join a guild, don't join a guild, everything you do has an effect on the game and your standing within it. You can pick a simple herb or plant of which there are countless amounts everywhere within the game and sell them or use them as ingredients for spells for yourself, and then there are dungeons which often hold treasures or quests........it goes on and on.................hundreds of side quests await far beyond the main quest..............

Are you going to be a thief, or hero, or magical sorcerer? It's up to you. Maybe a combo of all three. What I like too is that once you start off as a characater of your making or choice it "EVOLVES"...........it can do a complete 180 degree turn-around depending on your actions and choice's.

All depends on your actions and choices. Hey get a mob started or get slaves to do your bidding, join a group for quests or go them alone. Total open-ended gameplay has arrived. There is even a public transport system.............. the silt striders......... I'll let you experience them for yourselves.

One relationship with one group or faction will change your standing with others..........all your desisions have consequences. Exploration and more exploration is vital as well from what I can see already.

The npc's are everywhere, all of them killable for you bloodthirsty types.............All but one I am told, that one is for you to figure out. They can be helpful and harmful in every which way. Just watch everything you do is my early on advice, observe and trust no one, but be wary of all things that are going on.

Well as you can see I can go on and on and I have just nicked the tip of the ice-berg. You have to play it to understand all that this game offers............no two games will ever be alike.........in fact far off.

I will try and get some more time in later................The only problem with this game now is that it comes from a person not within my inner circle of connections and my Brother must take it back in a couple days. So I will be left waiting with all of you until it does come...........that's torture after getting a taste.

Bottomline is................It thus far is an experience, far beyond a game. Everyone should get this game, it alone with HALO are the two best games on the BOX thus far bar none. And that's after just 6 hours of game time. Sweeeeeeeeeeet is this Freaks final word. "

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:48 AM
"OK real quick here..............

I wanted to mention sound and music as well............Beautiful, I mean noticebly beautiful. Sound effects too are all very well done.

jesus loves you:............ I played as a few different sorts, re-setting my character make-up just to see the differences. Combinations of all the hero, Sorcerer, thief. The Combat is fluid. As I mentioned above it is done with a top notch skeletal based animation system. Depending on who or what you are fighting the animation differed, but was always smooth and realistic. No frame loss from what I have seen. The A.I too responds well and to your actions, they are not mindless. Of course the magical effects I ahve not seen much of it is too early for that, but the two I have seen ( I will not give away which) look very nice. The water does look excellent, and the physics once in the water are perfect as well. I love swimming and Morrowind has given a very good dynamic feel to it. Beautiful, and when it rains the droplets are very realistic. But watch out..........sometimes you are not alone in the water ( HINT)

Combat isn't just random luck either .............. depending on how long you hold your mouse button down, and which way you move you can accomplish different attacks, such as slash, slice, or thrust. The antagonists also react to your actions, so the A.I. thus far pass'es the test.

I just went running off in one direction just for the Hell of it and after almost an hour I came across a couple grand cities, camps, and a few starngers, I just went the route of staelth just to see how far I could get. It's your choice, fight, stealth, use magic, help people, kill them.............Open ended gaming has arrived.

Next I may just join a guild and get a mission..........Like for thieves a nice little hold up, or as a hero maybe rescue some troubled soul, or as a magic user I may have to burn down a whole tavern of evil people. Options are what this game is about"

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:50 AM
"I have been running with both versions..............The difference is not apparent to me. I have played the XBOX version on my extra large HDTV with 5.1 Dolby surround blazing all around me. So as for resolution both versions were spot on. The only difference is the level editor. On top of that I personally love the XBOX dual analog controller over a mouse/KB setup for the PC. My game rig PC is a Dual 2 gig Athlon MP with 2 gigs of memory and a Gainward Geforce 4 4600. I do believe that you will need at least a 800 mgh PCwith a Geforce 3 card for the game to hold up from framerates to all the extras the PC offers for visuals. But I will tell you I personally choose the XBOX version. But I checked out the XBOX version as well on a regulaer 32 inch T.V. and it was looking fine, not quite the highest of resolutions but all the same nice. Plus I just love the XBOX version for another reason............laying back in a plush extra large recliner with my dual analog beats sitting up-right in front of a monitor no matter how nice a monitor is.

The game versions are identical from what I have seen and experienced. Water is identical as well, in all regards from looks to movement. I had a great expereince within the game..............I will not spoil it but will just say that at one time I traveled in a total random direction and came to a back-road, where I will not say, just far off the beaten way. Once there a merchant wagon passed..............I had a choice, friendly conversation, fight, or kill, or steal, or just let the wagon pass. I decided to backtrack and come back to this location minutes later to see if the wagon would reappear. Just a check on the scripting and A.I. of the game..........................It never re-appeared. I just love that fact. In fact 5 minutes later a couple of un-trust worthy types appeared walking up the road............another option what to do with them..........the game is all about options, exploration, and is as open-ended as it gets. The world just seems alive and you get this funny feeling that all these things are happening no matter if you are there or miles away, kind of surreal. From there I just ventured off exploring some more of this massive and seemingly endless world....."

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:51 AM
"You have a choice of five major and five minor skills from a total of 27 in three categories, magic, combat and stealth.

The game has 8 attributes ........Strength, Endurance, Intelligence, Speed, Willpower, Agility, Personality, and Luck................You get to rate each from 1-100, whichever you choose will determine all the other factors of the game and your creations. For example if you want to block better you need to up the agility attribute and so on and so forth. The basic skill system is by far superior to Daggerfalls, much more balanced.

You can continue to move and strafe as you fight, it's not just clicking........it's hold and release , the longer you hold the harder the hits. The XBOX analog controller works very smoothly, there is no issues with it. The weapons feel diiferent too when holding them.

There are 21 classes that come with preset packages of major and minor skills..................you can select one of the pre-designed classes or build their classes by choosing skill by skill. Some of the 21 pre-designed classes are the Barbarian and the Sorcerer, and new types like the Pilgrim and the Witchhunter....

There are two classes of factions............ the Great House factions, and all the Other interesting Factions..........The game really recommends very highly that you join a faction. You do not have to join right away.......you can wait until later in the game when you have figured out more of who you are and what you want for yourself within the game. The game suggests you join one of the three guilds, then sooner or later, carefully select, join, and advance ranks in a Great House faction.

Honorable hero's should join House Redoran, House Hlaalu is a more morally evil type faction, suited for thieves, agents, and con men type. House Telvanni is a house for the magic users, wizards............ Once you join one that's it for this game, all others are off limits...........So wait a while and think it through and then join at the right time. Most of the greatest quests are said to come from these house's.

Other factions outside the big three are Fighter, Mage and Thief guilds................

Shaheed79............Don't sweat it you can do all the killing you want as an assasin as well......... Morag Tong assassin guild, is waiting for your services.

Now a important thing to know is that you can belong to one of the three big main factions as well as all the smaller ones as well at the same time..........but never can you belong to more than one of the main three factions at once. This way you get all the benefits and those extra juicy quests. You can quit whenever you want as well.

So you can be a healer ( boring ) or an assasin or anything else you feel like..........or combinations of all these things. The game is by far more open-ended then Daggerfall...........that game just skirted the rim of this one..........that's why I say this is the first true real expansive open-ended game of all times. Nothing comes close to it's grand scale.

As for jumping............it is in but I have not come up to any real jump type puzzles.........yet........perhaps when in caves and dungeons later.............but maybe I'll just fly over them them with a magic spell.

If you are looking to be more noble or honorable as a knight you can join the crusaders guild...........

As for the plot and story ...........I don't want to give it away, or spoil the game for all of you.........so I'll just say that the game does have one and it is very deep, but shows already in my few hours that it evolves as you play............it has something to do with the Emperor that's all I will say now. But the side quests too should be looked into for the full scope of this game plus to add to your overall abilities which will help when you go up against the later undead and other creatures waiting for you.

As you can see there are endless things of which to speak of in this game.........factions, guilds, skills, classes, it is very in depth and I think is as ambitious a game ever seen to this date.

Oh yes and as for races............There are ten playable races: Argonian, Khajiit, Redguard, Nord, Breton, Imperial, Dark Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf, and Orc. You can play either a male or female of each. And even this has different aspects.

Did you know you can see at night with a Khajiit thief .............Just one of endless options.........you shall see. Ice bolts, flames, weapons spells and more spells, stealth, it never ends............sweeeet. "

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:52 AM
"OK guys.........I have played some 10 hours in a couple days..............I am not anywhere near the person to answer all this games questions.....................I tried to answer the actual in game controls and camera questions along with some other things I thought interesting throughout this Thread............But questions can be never ending with this game............it's just so very vast in scope. So I'll answer some more here from my limited experirnce and I think that everyone else interested in this game should go to this link and get your homework in...........and get your answers there...........The people that created the game have set up a great place for all the questions you may have................

http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/de...owindqa22.shtml

As for the more recent questions..........

The game does have boundaries............But I have come to known of them yet. Don't forget it is an Island. No "forcefields" yet found either.

As for how far you can swim out........I don't know.......I never tried. I have been in the mainland most of the time.

Yes there are boats........But I have yet sailed with one. But there are other interesting modes of transports.........I'll let you experience them when you get the game.

As for the controls as I said in my original post you have no concerns...........They work much like Halo's..........The default set up is just right for me.......but you have an option to change them to your own tastes.

As for throwing things at NPC's.........The game has almost everything created as a real time model prop.......so you could throw all type things around if you wanted to. But better watch who your throwing at..........

The distance from city to city varies depending on your current location. But there are many villages, encampments, caves, dungeons all in between.For example I came across two larger type cities in about 45 minutes this one time I went off exploring. But there was a lot in between these cities. The wilderness is full of things happening...........thiefs, bandits, mercahnts, well everything both good and bad out there in the wilds...........Depending again where you are will be the determining factor on just what is happening at that certan location. But you can battle and go in stealth mode in the wilderness. Yes lot's happens out in the wilds.

I have not played as an Argonian.......... but I hear they are a beast race........ they are supposed to be immune to poisons and disease and are the fastest race in the game......all races get along differently, and it has subtle effect in the game, depending on who you are and who you are talking to does effect the gathering of information to barter prices........usually it's best to stick with your own kind in the game. There are three kinds of races........Humans, elves, beasts...........There are ten playable races: Argonian, Khajiit, Redguard, Nord, Breton, Imperial, Dark Elf, High Elf, Wood Elf, and Orc races...........

I have not asked to join a guild yet, or been asked. I have just been testing the games scripting for the most part........A.I. and NPC behavior........But to join is not a problem.......but it is best to have a little something in way of offering to the certain guild you are interested in..........like whatever skills best suited for that praticular guild.

I prefer 3rd person views at all times.........But since Halo I have come to respect 1st person views. I find 1st person best for crossbows or sniper type modes.

I have not gone deep into battle..........But the bodies have stayed after there death.........but who knows what heppens after a while..........I don't stay too long after a good old fashioned killing..........too many guards.

Both night and day looks are beautiful.........the game has a great weather effects system built in. The skies are both thunderous and beautiful, stars are out at night when it is clear enough to see them. Very nice effects. I would say that about 90 minutes or so pass from day to night.........just a quess, but something like that.

The argonians as I said earlier are a beast race and are immune to poisons and disease and are the fastest race in the game...........the rest is up to you to find out........One thing I can say about the Argonian's is that there animation is totally different from all other characters in the game. Like a beast..........but a cool walk and run.

Hope that was some help to you guys..........Go to the link above and get all you need there, it's a great source for info."

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:56 AM
Now stop take a break regain your vision then drink some water to fix that dry-mouth going on and get ready b/c here comes somemore. You sould get a award for reading all this?

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:56 AM
"Anyone feel like being a vampire.............???

Check this out to better understand all about it within Morrowind............cool..............

Here it is folks, the second official vampire Q&A exclusive with the Morrowind devs. Once again I would like to thank Pete Hines, Todd Howard and Mark Nelson for all their time, and for providing another brief glimpse into the world of Morrowind's vampires. Enjoy!

Q: Please for the love of god explain to me why you think the Buffy TV show is cool. Just kidding.

A: [Mark Nelson] I could go on and on about this one. Clever writing, great dialogue, Sarah Michelle Gellar....

Q: Do you HAVE to feed-if so how often-and does it HAVE to be human or anything with blood,like could i feed on a Dreugh?

A: [Mark Nelson] A vampire does not HAVE to feed. However, it is a very efficient way to regain health, especially since no one is going to rent you a room. Plus, the temples aren't going to be offering their services to a vampire.

Q: Will the holy places/items still affect the vampires?

A: [Mark Nelson] Hmmm...holy places are not a problem for vampires in Morrowind. There may be some items, though, that are not so vampire-friendly.

Q: Will it be possible to meet these vampire clans even without being a vampire?

A: [Mark Nelson] It'll be possible to meet them, but you won't be interacting with them...except in a very physical manner.

Q: How will vampirism affect your appearance/skills/physical attributes?

A: [Mark Nelson] Becoming a vampire will change the model of the PC's head, based on race and sex.

Q: How easily will I be able to become a vamp Within the first few hours , or will I have to run all over the place in the night looking for a vamp? Will there be a vast population of vampires in the game? Or only a handfull? Can you interact with a vampire besides fighting him?

A: [Mark Nelson] There is not a vast vampire population in Morrowind. Remember, vampires are despised, as are all things that hint of necromancy, and have been hunted nearly to extinction. However, there are still some vampire strongholds that remain. In addition, there are "rogue" vampires who've set up shop for themselves, as well as groups of clanless (or "accidental") vampires that have banded together for safety. It will be tough to find most of the vampires, and that's how they like it.

Q: Can you, in theory, no mater how hard it might be, complete the main quest as a vampire? Do you have to be evil?

A: [Mark Nelson] In theory...yes you can. You won't be able to move through the main quest as a non-vampire would be able to. You'll have to essentially bypass a lot of quests and get to the end part through a different path (which is an option regardless of whether you're a vampire). It will be a big pain in the butt, but the more hard-headed can do it.

Q: Will it be possible for Vampire Mages to escape the harmful effects of sunlight through Spellcraft (maybe cast a powerful regenerate spell or something)? What kind of attribute bonus do you get when you become a vampire (Daggerfall was +20 to all your attributes right?)

A: [Mark Nelson] It might be possible to create a spell that regenerates a good number of hit points for an extended period of time, but in order to completely offset the damage sunlight does, it would have to be a very powerful spell, requiring high skill and lots of magicka.

Q: Even though almost everyone hates you, is it possible, although difficult and costly, to make a charm spell so powerfull that you can still interact with every npc in the game? Even the ones that REALLY hate vampires?

A: [Mark Nelson] No. The majority of the people in Morrowind are simply not going to talk to you, no matter what their disposition is. However...after some consideration, I've modified things a bit. Morrowind is very much a game about relationships, and it seemed fitting that a bit more of this got put into the vampire gameplay as well. So, there are now a couple of groups in Morrowind who will interact with you while you are a vampire. They might not like you a lot, but they'll talk to you, and they might even have a few things for you to do. That said, they still will only deal with you on a basic level. They're not about to buy or sell things from you, and they won't train you. You'll have to find other ways to accomplish those things.

Q: Will each of the heads available in the game have there own Vampire version or will there be a generic Vamp face for each race? (Will we be able to customize our vamp portraits any or once you turn it's based on the portrait you chose from the start?)

A: [Mark Nelson] There is a vampire face for each race and sex.

Q: Will the main plot change, and more specificly will certain path choices in the main plot be eliminated/open up as a result of vampirism? Can vamps see in the dark?

A: [Mark Nelson] Many paths will be eliminated as a result of the player being a vampire, basically because few people are going to want to talk to you. No, vampires do not have the innate ability to see in the dark. P.S. Not knowing about certain parts of the game isn't always a bad thing. We like for there to be SOME surprises.

Q: What abilities will you receive for specific clans, like the aundae and the quarra?

A: [Mark Nelson] I don't want to give any specifics on the exact abilities or numbers that are affected quite yet. But, a little more information on the three clans might give you an idea of what to expect:

The Quarra vampires are strong and barbaric. They are the most physically powerful of the clans, and they are exceptionally cruel. They seek to rule the other clans through brute force.

The Aundae vampires seek domination through the imposition of their will. They are powerful in magic, and hungry for power.

The Berne are the most subtle of the vampire clans. They slide through the night to hunt their prey, and seek power through cunning, not force.

Q: What are the benefits of doing clan quests if you can't join their clan?

A: [Mark Nelson] The benefits become apparent once you've done the quests.

Q: Does levitation cost a vampire magicka , or is it free because it's a natural ability?

A: [Mark Nelson] It does use magicka, but it is not as expensive as a normal levitate spell. There are a couple other differences as well.

Q: Are there any plans or ideas for vamps in the expansion? You said vamps were built with the notion that they could be added to. If so,what can we maybe expect?

A: [Mark Nelson] I believe I've created a very solid infrastructure upon which to build a vampire storyline, but how much of a role it plays is still somewhat up in the air. I have a number of ideas I'd eventually like to incorporate. The politics between the vampire clans is as intricate as with the Great Houses, and it would be a lot of fun for me to be able to really develop that. I believe that what you'll see of the clans in Morrowind only scratches the surface of what's really happening. However, remember that this isn't intended to be a vampire game. This is just one of many, many things going on in the world. Maybe one day we'll find out more.

Q: How will fast travel and traveling in general affect vamps?

A: [Mark Nelson] This is one of the great limitations of vampirism...no one will give you a ride.

Q: What has been the coolest moment you've experienced while playtesting the vamps?

A: [Mark Nelson] Again, better you experience these things for yourselves. There are lots of cool moments to be had, whether or not you're a vampire.

Q: Anything new you can tell us about the vampire hunters in Morrowind?

A: [Mark Nelson] Vampire hunters are, like vampires themselves, almost extinct in Morrowind. It's just a lousy job when there aren't a lot of vampires around. There's a good bet that at least one of them is still employed , though.

Q: What is gameplay like for vampires in Morrowind? Do they need stealth at all or are they more of the "I'm a god don't make me blow my nose with you" types?

A: [Mark Nelson] It all depends on how you want to play it. Vampires are powerful, and can probably fight their way out of most situations. However, the Berne vampires tend to favor stealth over outright brute force, so you could choose to play that way. It's very much up to your style.

Link...........Tons more at this link..............

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/...ark/vampqa2.asp"

Brevity
04-15-2002, 08:57 AM
"Guys the EB world release and other release dates are off...........The dev's over at the official Forum have stated May 16th...................But think of it this way..............You get time to study up and think out what you want to be and do in the game"

Brevity
04-15-2002, 09:06 AM
"Here is a little more new eye candy and insight while you wait for the game................

Time for a dip............better watchout at all times however.............sometimes you may not be alone in the water..........And the raindrops are really sweet..........looks great in motion.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow6.jpg
Alright, let me get this out of the way: I only played a little bit of Arena and Daggerfall, and only dabbled with Redguard. I did not like Ultima 9 or many of the other well known first person RPG’s. One might call me biased against them, but then again I also have a history with Bethesda, having worked there during the formative months of Morrowind. Though I only got to see brief glimpses of it, it always had a special place in my list of upcoming titles, so one might call me biased towards Bethesda. In truth I am biased. I very much want Morrowind to succeed, and when I first placed the disc in my drive and booted the beta up I desperately wanted to like Morrowind. After 20 hours or so with the beta I am very pleased to report that Morrowind just may be the next best thing since sliced bread-and more.

http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow2.jpg
Bethesda set out to make perhaps the epic first person RPG. They had a wealth of information and fiction from Arena and Daggerfall, and the history of an entire Empire already created. The third Elder Scrolls game was to be set in a small corner of the empire-Morrowind, but it was intended to shatter all the standards for immersion in an RPG. There would be 3244 NPCs in the world, and you can kill all but one and still complete the main quest. There would be six full sized novels worth of text, 217 variations of enemy creatures, more than 300 hand crafted dungeons, 316,042 hand placed objects, and more than 480 billion different character types you can create and play. After playing Morrowind for just a few hours it becomes obvious that all the numbers aren’t just marketing hype. The game is truly that big, that involved. You can fill your inventory picking up items in the first house you visit in the game.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow3.jpg
The game starts with the player on a prison ship, bound for the small coastal village of Seyda Neen. As you depart from the boat you begin the process of creating your character. Spoiling the character creation process would ruin a lot of the initial fun for the player, but suffice to say that there are a few different ways to go about doing it and there is a tremendous amount of customization possible. Your character will emerge with a name, a class, a race, an astrological sign, and a host of major, minor, and miscellaneous skills. The depth of the characters and their statistics is staggering and can be intimidating at first. Each character has five major skills and five minor skills, and the entire experience system is skill based. The astrological sign is also important as it will often give your character a significant bonus at the cost of a penalty in another area. There are 21 pre-set character types that many will probably choose, but no two characters will ever end up the same after just a short amount of time playing. For example, two players could start as Spellswords with the same race and sign, and with everything being equal will have wildly different characters after just a few hours of gameplay. Every time you do pretty much anything in the game it affects your skills. The more you walk, the stronger your athletics becomes. For many characters this will be a miscellaneous skill and will not influence level progression, but walk enough and even for a non-specialized character you can become extremely fast and hardy. This applies for something like acrobatics as well. My first character, a spellsword, had no real business with acrobatics, but I insisted on hopping around like the Energizer bunny and actually increased my skill to a respectable (if still wimpy in the scheme of things) level. Almost all of the other skills work like this. In order to level up, you must complete ten steps of experience, and you gain each step after increasing your major or minor skills. Each increase in a major skill adds one notch but it appears that you have to level up several times in a minor skill for each notch. I need to do more extensive testing on that feature to make sure it is consistent. Suffice it to say that gamers will literally be able to create any type of class that their heart possibly desires in Morrowind.

http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow5.jpg
The game really starts when you get to wandering about Seyda Neen. Like much of the rest of the game it is truly intimidating at first. There are dozens of people to talk to, houses to visit, and things to do just in the first village. Fortunately most of the villagers say the same things so you are not but so overwhelmed with information. You are given the first major task in the main quest at the beginning of the game, and you can choose to follow that and head to Balmora or just do whatever you want. I spent most of my first night with the game simply wandering every possible nook and cranny of Seyda Neen and I am embarrassed to say it actually took me some time to realize that I had to use my major skills in order to level up, as I was level 1 for a good 10 hours or so of game time!
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow7.jpg
I started off just wandering the areas around Seyda Neen and was just absolutely floored by the graphics. Morrowind is simply the best looking game I think I have ever seen grace the PC. I stared at the water; I watched the sunset and the clouds moving across the sky. I walked to the highest building and looked out over the towns and climbed mountain and turned my head to the heavens as lightning cracked and rain poured down on me. I wandered forests, grasslands, mountains, and desolate, evil places. The polygon counts on the NPC’s is tremendous and the textures are so crisp that they often look real. The water is so stunning you can lose your self just playing with it and watching the reflections. The weather effects are truly incredible as well, and I often set my self to rest so that my character would be up at dusk, with the sun streaming over the hills. It was often magical to lose myself in the game world. Before I knew it I had explored what felt like a truly enormous amount of land, yet when looking at the overall map I had perhaps visited 5% or less of the total area in the Vvardenfell. I grew more and more eager to simply wander, looking for new areas and new graphics, new special effects to amuse me. Perhaps the finest compliment I can give Morrowind is that even in beta form, it achieves the open-endedness that massively multiplayer online titles strive for and use as their unique features. No longer can they claim to be the only type of games that can create that effect. Morrowind will prove that a single player RPG can be every bit as open-ended, and far deeper than any MMORPG on the market.

Continued in next post............

Brevity
04-15-2002, 09:11 AM
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow8.jpg
The beauty of Morrowind is that there is so much to discover, so much to see. With over 300 hand crafted dungeons, you can literally wander for days in real time and still have plenty to do. I found perhaps 10 such dungeons in my travels, and came out of one with a golden helmet worth 15000 gold! No merchant that I have found can even afford to pay me for it yet! I found Imperial Legion Fortresses, coastal hamlets, and cities that I had no business being in just by wandering, and man did I love it. You can take the silt-strider (a massive bug like creature that transports you to another city for a small fee) and immediately progress in the main storyline, but why would you want to when you could spend that time wandering, increasing your skills, and seeing what the world of Morrowind is all about. There are also dozens (and I am sure that is a gross underestimate) of side quests that you can find in the cities, the villages, or some just wandering about the world. Escort a pilgrim to his destination, find the missing tax collector (would someone please tell me how?), free slaves, find a special treasure, steal a certain item, or kill someone’s enemies. The list is expansive and could keep you occupied for hours upon hours before you even come to the main quest.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow9.jpg
The sound is also brilliant. There is not much speech, but what is there is well done. Sound effects are all absolutely top notch, and the music is just fantastic, moody, atmospheric, haunting. It gave me goose bumps the first time I heard the main theme song while walking over a hill and seeing a glorious city at dawn. One thing that Morrowind does so well is creating a sense of atmosphere that permeates every aspect of the game.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow10.jpg
In any RPG, combat is always a central feature, and Morrowind is no exception. However, there is far less combat than many will expect coming from the Baldur’s Gate games or from console RPG’s, and you can literally spend hours wandering around and never fighting-still I doubt the game can be completed without some combat, though Bethesda insists it could be possible. The combat engine is one of the few things that felt a bit unfinished in the preview version from early March. It can be interesting and tactical if you have a mage, or an assassin, or an archer, or any combination of classes. You have to mix your long and short range skills, cast buffing spells and direct damage, sneak and backstab, and more. Unfortunately, I found the combat somewhat uninspiring for pure melee characters as it often felt like a clickfest. It can also be difficult to play a mage early on, since you start with very little magicka even as a pure mage and some spells are costly to cast. Still, I expect the combat to have been tweaked a bit in the final version, and though I complain about it, I still look forward to fighting and approaching each enemy differently depending on their strengths and weaknesses.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow11.jpg
The problem with writing a preview of a game like Morrowind is that you want to say so much. It can be difficult for a writer that is enjoying a game to restrain themselves, and Morrowind is one of those games. I desperately want to share the many cool experiences I have had with the game with our readers, and tell stories of all the cool experiences I have seen. In fact, I intend to go play with a bunch of new characters after I finish writing this to help me decide what to play in the final version. Morrowind is that type of game. It will have you agonizing over how to play, what to play. It will have you making choices that will radically affect the way your character plays and is perceived in the game world, and I guarantee you it will have you thinking about it after you turn the game off for the evening.

Morrowind is still not finished as of this preview, though rumor has it that its gold announcement is only days away. As of the March 1st beta, there were some technical issues. I encountered a great many crash bugs, a few quest issues, some random scripting problems, and some technical issues with performance. Make no mistake about it, even with tweaking you will need a truly monster system to run Morrowind in all its glory. We can only hope that the 6 weeks in between have cleared up some of these issues.

I never thought I would like a first person RPG quite as much as I have enjoyed Morrowind. I rarely have any problems with finishing the preview builds I get but as hard as it is for me to stop, I know I cannot play much more Morrowind, because I do not want to spoil it in its final, finished form for myself. Morrowind is that type of game. It has the potential to set a new standard for immersion in an RPG, and perhaps to revolutionize first person role-playing games.
http://www.zengamer.com/images/previews/full/morrow12.jpg
Link to site.............

http://www.zengamer.com/preview.php?previd=2

The neverending game................

Brevity
04-15-2002, 09:12 AM
Well thats it for now. I will try to keep an eye on this. Hay you should do something a/b that blood coming out of your eyes......Yikes:)

Azazel
04-15-2002, 12:34 PM
I cannot believe no one has replied to this thread! I for one am now even more amped about getting this game than ever. It definetly seems Brevity is legit (not like the smilebit incident). Thanks to him for putting in all that time to let us know what to expect.

Does no one else have any input on this???

JJaX
04-15-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by ty818

Waiting for this game is like taking a wholesome dump on a hot summer day in some inner city tacobell, and the A/C is broke.

stang46
04-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Man, I just started reading about this game a couple days ago and omg, this looks so badass!!! Thanks for the read, I can't wat for this one!

Brevity
04-15-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by ty818
I cannot believe no one has replied to this thread! I for one am now even more amped about getting this game than ever. It definetly seems Brevity is legit (not like the smilebit incident). Thanks to him for putting in all that time to let us know what to expect.

Thanks Ty! Yes it did take along time, I was like s4it I should not have started this. But now that I have grabed all of his stuff off from other posts and put them together it looks realy nice. I give the credit to Freak of Nature though, man that guy rocks. I hope he puts more info out.

My fav. here is the one a/b finding a wagon on an old road that never returned. And the water reflection pic. I cant wait for this game.

Now to something I have been really debating on. I have this awsome puter and the Xbox. I wonder which I should buy this for. I like the add on thing for the PC. And I like the inproved graphics and stuff for PC. And there is a chance that the PC version can come out first. Then its a no contest. But I like the throw down ability of the Xbox. Off - On here there. That is what I think the Xbox offers: I like that FoN addressed that very thing in this thread.

JJaX
04-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Brevity

Now to something I have been really debating on. I have this awsome puter and the Xbox. I wonder which I should buy this for. I like the add on thing for the PC. And I like the inproved graphics and stuff for PC. And there is a chance that the PC version can come out first. Then its a no contest. But I like the throw down ability of the Xbox. Off - On here there. That is what I think the Xbox offers: I like that FoN addressed that very thing in this thread.

Id def get the xbox version, Sit on the couch, and if you got 5.1 you'll be in the zone

yall
04-15-2002, 03:04 PM
does the text look much different (size) between the 2 versions? also, do you know if the xbox version runs in resolution other than 640x480?

Brevity
04-15-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by yall
does the text look much different (size) between the 2 versions? also, do you know if the xbox version runs in resolution other than 640x480?
Text is bigger on Xbox version and it works at HD TV levels.

yall
04-15-2002, 08:01 PM
you can run it in 720 or 1080 as well as 480?

Azazel
04-15-2002, 08:21 PM
I dont like PC games. Thats why I got the xbox. I will definetly wait 17 extra days for the xbox version.

Im all about the controller as opossed to the keyboard.

Frostberg
04-15-2002, 09:15 PM
The PC game will come out first...but I dont think the PC version will be any better...it will, however, have some kind of editor which might be useful, but it cant be that important...and personally Id rather have the Xbox game because my TV is 32" and my monitor is 17" :D

I dont think it will look that much better on the PC as you might think...in development of the PC game they prolly designed it to run best with a GeForce2 or a 3 at the most...which your Xbox has...The visuals will prolly be pretty comparable, and only better if you own a really bad ass $5000+ PC with all the toys...

From another standpoint...Mirrorwind seems like it would be better with a controller than a keyboard and mouse...basically this should be your main point as well...would you be more comftorable in front of your xbox or your comp?

Dre
04-15-2002, 10:03 PM
I want Xbox cuz I want this game to work without a hitch. I also want to be able to sit on my couch or lay in my bed when I'm playing this.

This game is going to be so freaking awesome! I can't wait to hit my 3rd lung and dive into this world!

Dre

Oh, and Brevity... THANK YOU!

Brevity
04-15-2002, 11:53 PM
First a site w/ new info on the delay Here (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2861448,00.html) :(

Now thanks for all your opinions I do have a really really nice pc w/ a G4 ti4600. and all the other bells and whistles, like a flat panel monitor that kicks ars. Also I play like tones of puter games, got DS on the brain right now. And yes it would be nice to play it on the 55” or just anywhere I want to take the Xbox. I do want the editor? Hummm I just don’t know, from what this says I can get the PC version sooner and I got a friend w/ connections to get us a hacked version of just a/b anything the week b/4 it comes out. He got DS and the new Star Wars that way. I guess I don’t know but if it comes to it you cant say NO to Mr. Free

Brevity
04-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Dre
I want Xbox cuz I want this game to work without a hitch. I also want to be able to sit on my couch or lay in my bed when I'm playing this.

This game is going to be so freaking awesome! I can't wait to hit my 3rd lung and dive into this world!

Dre

Oh, and Brevity... THANK YOU!
Dre your welcome and dude your one of the most level headed guys in here so,,,,,thanks to you,,,:)

SkoalMint
04-16-2002, 05:13 AM
Personally, I don't currently have a PC with the muscle to run this game, so I will definitely be getting the XBox version. I also agree with Dre in that I don't want to have to worry about different hardware/software configurations effecting the game. Not to mention the fact that I'd rather be in the recliner than in front of the PC. Great info Brevity. Thank you so much. I have been foaming at the mouth waiting for this game, and you just made it worse. :)

VAN
04-16-2002, 07:26 AM
Me thinks you need to change your name from Brevity. Sheesh. Long winded fellow. :D

Brevity
04-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by VAN-XBA
Me thinks you need to change your name from Brevity. Sheesh. Long winded fellow. :D
First Vans the Man. And recall that Caveat that I put on this at the very begining? I must insist you play by the rules or up my post count. What ever. :D

Brevity
04-16-2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Personally, I don't currently have a PC with the muscle to run this game, so I will definitely be getting the XBox version. I also agree with Dre in that I don't want to have to worry about different hardware/software configurations effecting the game. Not to mention the fact that I'd rather be in the recliner than in front of the PC. Great info Brevity. Thank you so much. I have been foaming at the mouth waiting for this game, and you just made it worse. :)

Hey thanks and I want everyone to put some more info here as I will. Some more pics would be nice. I like the water ones.

Ya you are right the whole sitten back in the lazyboy does sound nice, but I do have a nice pc chair to. I think the big thing for me would be the ability to take it w/ me if I go somewhere this summer. I could if I had the PC version load it on my laptop I guess. ????? Is anybody getten this thing on PC just to have it sooner or for the expantion and possible Mods?

Dre
04-16-2002, 10:32 AM
Hi everyone, just thought I'd add a bit to all this hype and showoff some screens from morrowind I thought looked really cool.

And Brevity, I've got the whole kickass chair and PC setup as well. I just want to have a KILLER game for my Xbox. Unfortunately, playing Halo makes me queasy so I need a game that gives me a reason to be glued to my box :D I already spend enough time in front of computers as is with school and my job, so the less time on it the better!

Anyways, enjoy the screens everyone!

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/mwind_web02B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/mwind_web07B.jpg

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/art/mwind_web23B.jpg

Lates,
Dre

Brevity
04-17-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the pic. Dre it makes the place look classy.