PDA

View Full Version : My little review of the Redant VGA adapter

Piccolo_DBz
04-15-2002, 01:57 PM
The infamous Redant VGA Adapter....Some say it's the worse product ever made and others say it's not that bad. And I'm one of them that says It's not that bad at all.

First off when you get it you recieve the VGAbox, a cable for the monitor and cable for your sound card. Those 2 cables are for if you want to use the Monitor you use for you PC.

Next I plugged it in the xbox and I noticed right off that the output for the A/V connection is alot smaller then the xbox A/V port. So you CAN NOT use the A/V cables you got with the xbox, what I did was I used the cables I got for my PSone(Yes you read right, THE PSONE) and it plugged in Perfectly.

Next off your gonna need some speakers or headphones that have a volume control, if you don't your not gonna get any sound out of them. Sad but true, I have no idea why they didn't put a volume control on the box. I tried out some crappy speakers I used for my 386 and it works alright.

Now, here's what everyone wants to know.....Hows the picture on the monitor.....If you ever played a DVD movie on your pc Fullscreen, Thats how the picture looks like on the VGA monitor. It' not a true VGA adapter, it's a so called Line Doubler. What do i think? I'm alright with it, I'm still boggled on how many people on other forums made a big stink out it. It's not that bad guys, trust me.

If you want TRUE vga quality your gonna have to wait on something else or buy the dude's version over in Xbox Hacker. I'm happy with the purchase. Finally I'm getting some use out of my old IBM 386 monitor.

Rating....3.5 out 5
Took some points off for not being a real VGA adapter, No volume control on the box and using another A/V cable to pass through it.

Oh and lastly...The rumors of Lik-sang.com being banned from the U.s. is B.S.:p

Kraft
04-15-2002, 02:14 PM
If you are just using A/V cables... wouldn't you be getting the exact same resolution as you do on your TV? I happen to like my TV screen and it doesn't seem like I'd be getting anything extra out of jerry-rigging it to my computer monitor...

LynxFX
04-15-2002, 02:16 PM
Sounds like you are still better off just using a cheap video capture card like the I/O Magic PVR card and via S-video connect to it and run Dscaler.

How much was this adaptor?

Piccolo_DBz
04-15-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
How much was this adaptor?
50 Bucks

Originally posted by KraftSLU
If you are just using A/V cables... wouldn't you be getting the exact same resolution as you do on your TV?

I'm using the AV cables to hook up to my tv. It's like a pass-through but the thing is you can't use the av cables you got with the xbox.

Kraft
04-15-2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Piccolo_DBz

I'm using the AV cables to hook up to my tv. It's like a pass-through but the thing is you can't use the av cables you got with the xbox.

Oh, I was just pointing out that it seems I would get better resolution and video quality off of my TV using my component cables rather than using A/V to a computer monitor...