PDA

View Full Version : more 411 on OUTLAW GOLF (these new mini games sound SaaaWEEET!)

DZNUTZ
04-15-2002, 03:02 PM
April 04, 2002 - Golf is said to be a gentleman's game. You never see Tiger Woods going off on someone because he misses a long drive, and you never see anyone getting into the sort of fights that you would see in a hockey match. It looks as if Simon and Schuster Interactive is with most people in the thought that golf needs a little livening up, which is where Outlaw Golf comes in.
The game will be an arcade-style golf game similar to the popular Hot Shots series on the PlayStation. It features a "Composer Response System" where the worse you play; the harder the controls will become. If you remain calm, and begin to play better, you will have an easier time controlling your golfer. Of course, not everyone has a perfect temper, which is why you'll be able to turn on your defenseless little caddy and beat the living crap out of him or her with the club of your choice. Naturally if you abuse the caddy too much, they'll leave and you'll be on your own, but until they do you can use them as your own portable punching bag.

Outlaw Golf will feature numerous golfers, such as Killer Miller - a death-row inmate who has been released on a technicality or Doc Digler who comes complete with his stripper girlfriends. This crazy group of psychos will compete on courses such as one built on a swamp where your caddy can be munched on by a friendly gator, or the Newark Municipal Course that is situated right next to the Newark Airport runway.

Keeping with the light-hearted arcade-style gameplay, the game will also feature a unique driving range. Instead of just trying to hit the ball as far as possible, you'll be able to partake in little games such as hitting a dart target or breaking the windows on a parked car. That last game sounds especially fun, as the more glass you break, the more points you will receive.

Outlaw Golf is currently scheduled to be released on the Xbox in the spring of 2002, so we have a while to wait until we can beat the snot out of someone with a 9-iron. Expect more info to come out of E3, but for now enjoy the first movie of the game in action as well as some new shots, which you can access below.

--Jeremy Conrad IGN Xbox

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/136/136417p1.html

l Maximus l
04-15-2002, 03:06 PM
I'm all over this game like stink on dung :D

E-Xbox
04-15-2002, 03:11 PM
i mite rent this game...
i dunno bout buying it tho..

peace

DZNUTZ
04-15-2002, 03:14 PM
me too maxy....i'm on it like flies on chit!

JJaX
04-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Im on it like a fat girl on a babe ruth

DZNUTZ
04-15-2002, 03:36 PM
MORE!!!!

Outlaw Golf's mechanics are more like Tiger Woods 2002's than previous golf games.
Outlaw Golf is Simon & Schuster's upcoming Xbox golf game, which is notable not only for being the first golfing game to reach Xbox owners, but also for introducing a fairly original set of characters and play mechanics to a genre populated by a number of strong and distinct competitors. In a field dominated by games touting fairly different golfing experiences, such as the realism of Tiger Woods 2002 or the comical characters of Hot Shots Golf 3, Outlaw Golf stands the middle ground, combining elements from a wide variety of these successful attempts and adding a fair bit of "adult" humor into the mix. But most importantly, Outlaw Golf addresses the notion that so many football and hockey fans have expressed over the years: It's not a real sport unless it's full contact.
Outlaw Golf is a visually appealing game, with attractive environments and with comical artistic elements throughout each course, in the menus, and in the characters. Individual blades of grass are modeled across the rougher sections of each course, and the variation between the levels of rough terrain and fairway are easily recognizable. There's an impressive water effect where reflective, rippling water shifts constantly, giving each lake a vividly realistic look. Competing on the first course means playing underneath a freeway overpass, complete with passenger jets flying high, speeding vehicles traveling overhead, and a chance to admire the graffiti on the cement supports underneath. Particle effects bring the flashy style of golf home, with streaks and trails following well-struck balls and fireworks commemorating well-played holes.

While it looks fairly good otherwise, what makes Outlaw Golf so visually distinctive, however, is its characters. Playable from the start are some of the over-the-top, stereotype-driven personalities that make this game so recognizable. At their core, the male golfers are brash, abrasive types; the women are sexy; and everyone is extremely violent, as can be clearly noted in their animation routines. Each character has a distinct set of movements that it goes through when first stepping onto the grass, after poorly or well-played rounds, or even between strokes. Summer, for instance, the part-time molecular biology student, part-time stripper, stretches out before a match with full splits and a handstand. She may even be consoled after a match with a spanking by her caddie. Mistress Suki, the dominatrix, is often seen whipping her caddie Puddin' after a hole, whether it's well played or not. The character designs, although quite tawdry, are incredibly funny and well represented both by their models and their articulations.

All sorts of attractive characters comprise the game's cast.

The trademark of Outlaw Golf, aside from the zany characters, is the innovative composure meter that directly influences the pace of the game, adding a significant element of chance and the potential for greater levels of strategy. The way the composure meter works is that each golfer begins in a levelheaded state of mind, collected enough to avoid frustration but not exactly into the game. With poor play, such as hitting water hazards or ending up in the bunkers, you'll begin to get rattled. Nail a drive off the tee with maximum power, and aside from the golden sparks trailing the ball, you'll be rewarded with a cool head, which translates to an incremental increase of the composure meter. Good approach shots will also contribute somewhat, although raising your meter through good play seems far more difficult than getting shaken by a few less-than-stellar swings and lowering it. In effect, nervousness makes your shots fly even more poorly, while good play has the converse effect, contributing to a streaky style of play that is unique to Outlaw Golf.

What makes the manipulation of the composure meter so much more than simply an additional statistic is each golfer's ability to get "in the zone" by taking out his or her frustrations on the defenseless caddie. If things are going badly with Harley, she can press the Y button to begin pounding out her aggression on her stalwart companion, which if done correctly can swing her composure meter toward a fully positive bar. When these fight sequences begin, a meter appears at the bottom of a screen dominated by a fuming golfer. When the action begins, the golfer approaches the caddie, and based on proper timing of an indicator that swings back and forth between targets, a number of blows and brutal attacks can ensue.

Harley, for instance, smashes apart her caddie with physical strikes before taking him down and breaking his arm in a fairly nasty-looking armbar. Summer goes to town on her girlfriend Autumn in a raucous catfight, complete with hair pulling, head butts, slaps, and more than a single scathing insult. You begin each course with the ability to start a single fight, but you can earn additional beating tokens for earning birdies or better, or you can get some after a set number of rounds.
Playing Outlaw Golf, at least in this current iteration, can be quite difficult if you approach it like a traditional golf simulation. At the beginning of the game's tour mode, the golfers are fairly skilled but by no means experts, as indicated by their fairly low statistics in such categories as accuracy and driving. Like in this year's Tiger Woods game, you control your swing by pulling down on the right analog stick to generate power and then flicking upward for the swing, as opposed to pressing the timing bar three times, which is what recent golfing games have defaulted to. Frustratingly enough, adequately handled swings will sometimes result in wicked slices, seemingly as much a result of the game's design as the awkward positioning of the Xbox controller's analog sticks. With experience, nailing straight shots with the sensitive swinging system becomes easier, but apparently taking your golfer's subpar statistics into account is just as important as fine-tuning your control. However, after you begin to learn the benefits of beating on your caddie, things turn around. Once you've filled your composure meter and get "in the zone," shots just seem to magically go right for you. Twenty-yard chip shots will fall right in, and more than a few well-played holes will produce instant-replay-worthy moments. By manipulating the composure meter with frequent beatings, taking advantage of the streaky nature of Outlaw Golf can lead to thoroughly satisfying play.

In the preview build we've been playing, the all-important camera control system was a bit difficult to get used to at the start. For example, to enable the free-roaming camera, you need to press in the right analog stick, but analog control from there on is limited to perspective changes over the current screen. If you wish to fly over the map to get your bearings, a series of rather unintuitive button presses will get the job done--although not in a particularly easy fashion. Presumably, the control scheme will be tweaked for greater accessibility as the game moves closer to finalization.

Depending on what character you play as, you might just be treated to a catfight.

Aside from the standard tour mode, where your golfer competes with others across a number of distinct courses, there are a variety of different challenges to hone your skills. The putting event places your golfer and his or her ball in a circular, uneven green littered with numerous holes at varying distances. With 10 balls, you are challenged to sink putts of varying difficulties, and you must make enough putts to fulfill the point requirement. Closer, straight putts are worth fewer points, while making a real beauty can net you a hefty sum. Your golfer can also put in some practice or compete at the driving range, where power and accuracy are combined for a scoring competition similar to that of the putting challenge. Instead of accumulating points, however, you may start off with a huge amount of required yards and must slowly work them off, drive after drive. With exhibitions, practice modes, and a tour mode, there should be plenty of different venues for each golfer to experience.

Outlaw Golf is an interesting take on the golf game and should appeal to both fans of traditional golf and those who have been bored in the past by the sport's passive nature. The composure meter and beating elements of the game, while relatively minor in comparison to the straight golfing simulation, should make the game much more accessible to those who would otherwise overlook this type of game. Take a look at our latest screens and movies of Outlaw Golf, which is currently scheduled for release this May

this game is SOOOOO mine!
follow link for more pics

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/previews/0,10869,2859706-2,00.html

l Maximus l
04-15-2002, 03:58 PM
For some reason, this Outlaw Golf Screenshot is very appealing to me...I wonder why? :confused:

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/outlawgolf/040202/outlaw_screen002.jpg

Kraft
04-15-2002, 04:00 PM
Oh my god, its Mike Meyers doing his Soccer Hooligan sketch for SNL!!!

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 10:41 AM
:( damn it ...i just read outlaw golf got pushed back to june :(

also for who care world series basebal got pushed backed to end of may and the release date to some crazy taxi game changed...but as soon i read that much i stopped reading.

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
:( damn it ...i just read outlaw golf got pushed back to june :(

also for who care world series basebal got pushed backed to end of may and the release date to some crazy taxi game changed...but as soon i read that much i stopped reading.

Well, DZNUTZ...as you know, delays are simply part of the industry. If you ask me, I don't really care if it's delayed...that means that I won't have to fork out an extra $50 until later :D

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 11:58 AM
no doubt maximus...i'm with you on that one its not like theirs not other games *ahem hunter *ahem again- morrowind* that i can't spend my money on and keep me bizy till outlaw comes out

i'm just stoked for this game though....but delay is good...i'm sho the reason is to touch it up and make sho its better then would have been.

once again..this game is gonna ROCK!

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 12:09 PM
DZNUTZ...well said, buddy!!

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if XBox came out with a 1st or 3rd party track ball controller? Kinda like a smaller version, of course, like the arcade game: "Golden Tee"! Man, I love that golf game! The trackball is ingenious for golf, I think :D

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 12:27 PM
yeah it would be cool...i think the more options for gamers the better...but honestly as for me..i never got into extra/special components...your not gonna find no lightguns,powergloves,fishing rods, burraca's (sp), powerpads, robots, and so far in my collection.

p.s. max...did u sign up for OXM yet...u better have!!! the last demo came with a video preview for outlaw golf- it was SAAAWEEET!

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
yeah it would be cool...i think the more options for gamers the better...but honestly as for me..i never got into extra/special components...your not gonna find no lightguns,powergloves,fishing rods, burraca's (sp), powerpads, robots, and so far in my collection.

p.s. max...did u sign up for OXM yet...u better have!!! the last demo came with a video preview for outlaw golf- it was SAAAWEEET!

Honestly, I haven't signed up for OXM yet. I know I know I know....I need to get with it!!! I'll find the time and do it this week if I can. I've just been so busy lately. I really want it, though! :p