PDA

View Full Version : More News 8-)

Aussie_18
04-16-2002, 02:13 AM
Only awhile ago Xbox general manager J Allard explained that gamers could expect to be playing online very soon indeed, "our current plan is for Xbox to be playable online before the end of this year," said allard. "We'll reveal our online strategy and pricing details during the games idustry's annual show, E3, on May 22-24." Back in January, at the consumer electronics show in Las Vegas, video footage showed players across the world using the voice communicator. The headset automatically altered the pitch of players voices, making them sound more like the game characters. it will be a key piece if kit for playing games via broadband. Twenty seven online-capable games are in the works including the mighty Unreal Championship. Sigh...

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 02:19 AM
This is going to be HUGE! Very HUGE! Playing XBox on-line is already a blast with Halo! My friends and I get together often to play...I mean, I even bought a 50" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV to maximize my gaming pleasure because of this! Now, with Unreal Championship and the many others that are coming out, this is going to be just like November 15, 2001 all over again!

If the XBox is not doing well in any other continent other than North America, then, this will be the solution! Microsoft is already talking about speeds in the Terabit range! :eek:

Nato King
04-16-2002, 07:27 AM
All I Have to say is that when On-line comes out this summer I will be the frist person in bermuda to get it. Then Halo will become the only game I play on my xbox. I just don't want to pay some High price for it. I Hope I have to pay a yearly price or a monthly price because I like paying my bills like that. I just can't wait any longer for this.:)

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Serg_w
All I Have to say is that when On-line comes out this summer I will be the frist person in bermuda to get it. Then Halo will become the only game I play on my xbox. I just don't want to pay some High price for it. I Hope I have to pay a yearly price or a monthly price because I like paying my bills like that. I just can't wait any longer for this.:)

Serg...I don't think that Halo will be able to be played on-line via Microsoft's network. Only because it was designed only to play in a LAN (System Link) environment. Unless they provide an add-on disc, Halo will not be able to be played on-line. However, of course you can play through XBConnect or Gamespy and stuff :)

I'm sure Halo 2 will be able to be played on-line when that finally comes out. I can't wait until E3, man!!! All the details we have been waiting for will be announced! Unreal Championship may blow Halo's multi-player out of the water! I hope it does because I am a die hard Halo fan! The thought of Halo being topped is mind blowing! :eek:

Kraft
04-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
If the XBox is not doing well in any other continent other than North America, then, this will be the solution! Microsoft is already talking about speeds in the Terabit range! :eek:

This sounds kinda misleading... Since MS isn't planning on creating server side gaming, this number is completely arbitary. I guess they mean they are predicting that there will be terabytes of XBox data crossing the net? Either way, just because they say 'terabytes' doesn't mean fast gaming necessarily, since ping and speed is going to depend on who hosts the game and how great of an internet connection they have. This is a great reason for them not releasing a modem though.

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 01:56 PM
i'm in agreement w/ maximus (as usual) on this one...i seriously CAN NOT WAIT. I've already signed up for a year worth of dsl just so i'll be able to get the online services first day available. in fact..after being jealous about hearing about max's tight tv...i've decided i'm about a month away (give or take a week) from probably buying a 61" widescreen HDTV (buit in) tv. i think its gonna run me 3500. is that a good deal? (comments welcome)
so that way i'll have even a better view when sniping u in the head maxy....try not and spill your beer ok?

mrmp3
04-16-2002, 03:48 PM
I'm in agreement with Maximus. The possibility of future FPS's being able to top Halo is amazing. I mean Halo multiplayer is fun and system link kicks some serious ass, but then you get those people who say "This is to unrealistic with these alien weapons. I want it to be another Bond" etc. etc. UT on PS2 didn't have the graphical edge nor the number of people on screen (TS you could have 16 bots). If it fixed those things it woulda ruled on the console. UC, however, has some amazing graphics, lots of new bots and weapons, and my favorite, VEHICLES! (even air vehicles!) I know that's gonna be awesome but if Battlefield: 1942 is online playable or system link compatible I think that will take the cake. 35 vehicles including land, sea, and air vehicles plus anti-aircraft guns. MOH: AA will probably be 1 player but man if it was system link that too could take the cake. IMO, the WWII sims that make it to Xbox are gonna be the **** since they got to meet certain requirements before getting release. So I think more people will buy the WWII sims. None the less, UC is gonna kick some major, major, major ass! :cool: Signing off...

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
i'm in agreement w/ maximus (as usual) on this one...i seriously CAN NOT WAIT. I've already signed up for a year worth of dsl just so i'll be able to get the online services first day available. in fact..after being jealous about hearing about max's tight tv...i've decided i'm about a month away (give or take a week) from probably buying a 61" widescreen HDTV (buit in) tv. i think its gonna run me 3500. is that a good deal? (comments welcome)
so that way i'll have even a better view when sniping u in the head maxy....try not and spill your beer ok?

lol, dude! NICE on the HDTV, I must say! But, dude...I got a 50" for about $2,400...and it's a Toshiba...top of the line according to consumer reports! Unless you want the mega size, go for it! But, 50" is definately plenty, that's for sure! :D

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by mrmp3
I'm in agreement with Maximus. The possibility of future FPS's being able to top Halo is amazing. I mean Halo multiplayer is fun and system link kicks some serious ass, but then you get those people who say "This is to unrealistic with these alien weapons. I want it to be another Bond" etc. etc. UT on PS2 didn't have the graphical edge nor the number of people on screen (TS you could have 16 bots). If it fixed those things it woulda ruled on the console. UC, however, has some amazing graphics, lots of new bots and weapons, and my favorite, VEHICLES! (even air vehicles!) I know that's gonna be awesome but if Battlefield: 1942 is online playable or system link compatible I think that will take the cake. 35 vehicles including land, sea, and air vehicles plus anti-aircraft guns. MOH: AA will probably be 1 player but man if it was system link that too could take the cake. IMO, the WWII sims that make it to Xbox are gonna be the **** since they got to meet certain requirements before getting release. So I think more people will buy the WWII sims. None the less, UC is gonna kick some major, major, major ass! :cool: Signing off...

I agree, man! Unreal Championship is going to be utterly amazing!! It is possible for it to give Halo's multi-player function a serious run for it's money! I hope it does because I am a die hard Halo fan! I can't wait!! :D Halo's campaign mode is going to be difficult to touch, though...I think :)

Calve
04-16-2002, 03:57 PM
Fortunate for you peeps!!! I wont be able to have Xbox online cause i live in the country:mad: !!! However its good to see!!!

Peace
(will it be available on satelite????)

Kraft
04-16-2002, 03:59 PM
You sure you can't get DSL? You only have to be within x miles of a phone hub to get service. I forget the exact mileage, but I also live out in the country and get DSL service. 15 miles of farm and cows to the closes town, baby!

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Calve
Fortunate for you peeps!!! I wont be able to have Xbox online cause i live in the country:mad: !!! However its good to see!!!

Peace
(will it be available on satelite????)

Dude, that hugz...not sure if it's available on satelite or not...but, I would check and see if it's broadband or not. If it's broadband, you should be able to without a problem.

Dude...I would consider moving to a place that has broadband!! :D hehe...dude, do you know of a friend that has it locally?

Aussie_18
04-16-2002, 04:02 PM
Boo Yah E3 is gonna totally kick ass.... who knows, even Halo 2 could be announced but more over to the multiplayer sides of things I reckon the new Xbox Communicator is gonna be an excellent must have tools for all online players... how realistic would it be playin games like UC and well some kind of war game while yelling into head set "RETREAT"... hehehehehe you could pretend to be the marines in Halo :D

Basically I cant wait till E3... Coz I know there has to be somthing thats gonna suprise us big time...

Cheers, Aussie_18

Afro Aura
04-16-2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

lol, dude! NICE on the HDTV, I must say! But, dude...I got a 50" for about $2,400...and it's a Toshiba...top of the line according to consumer reports! Unless you want the mega size, go for it! But, 50" is definately plenty, that's for sure! :D
Damn show off LOL
My TV cost me £1700 not that far form you mate its a cool Sony 32"100hz DRC ha and mine looks so fineeeeee

Aussie_18
04-17-2002, 12:36 AM
When playin in the lounge room I use a 68cm LG Flatron with surround sound but when im playin in my room I use a 34cm Akai which is ok I guess but no good playin 4 players on the one screen :(

jschelm
04-17-2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

This sounds kinda misleading... Since MS isn't planning on creating server side gaming, this number is completely arbitary. I guess they mean they are predicting that there will be terabytes of XBox data crossing the net? Either way, just because they say 'terabytes' doesn't mean fast gaming necessarily, since ping and speed is going to depend on who hosts the game and how great of an internet connection they have. This is a great reason for them not releasing a modem though.

The article that was floating around these forums a little while ago may have been way off about that. I have recently seen some interviews with the guy in charge of the MS online service and the computing power of the servers that they are currently running for the test group is absolutely amazing. To add to that he also said that the servers are being added to and becoming more powerful every day to ensure that they are totally ready for launch.

sinizuh
04-17-2002, 01:51 AM
This is news? heh... i think not.

jschelm
04-17-2002, 01:52 AM
I found the article that I was talking about in a previous post. Here it is right from MS's website

"What about infrastructure, though? Where are we at in the process of building the physical servers and cabling and disk storage and power supplies and broadband partnerships and everything else required to connect the console world? For that, we've got to turn to Kelly Altom, Xbox's Director of Online Operations.

Kelly is the guy who has to look at everything Marc is building, consider every single game that is going to play in that space, account for every possible Xbox gamer who will jack in, and make sure there is enough infrastructure to keep it 100% solid, secure, safe, and lightning fast. Kelly is all about scale, and he quoted me some impressive numbers related to the Xbox online gaming service as of today:

Numbers of computers in the central operations center (one of many such centers around the globe): 350

Number of processors running at a given time: 700

Total RAM in use in for the service at any given time: 500 GIGABYTES

Total disk space in use at the service: 25 TERABYTES

Length of cable run at the central Xbox online facility: OVER 50 MILES

Wow—pretty impressive numbers. I asked Kelly if he really believes that this infrastructure is really up to snuff for the first real console online gaming service's launch this year. Kelly laughed, "No, Jeff, this is just for our limited-run test deployment! We continue to scale up every day in anticipation of launch. We're here to blow Xbox gamers away with a service that transparently brings them together for the most intense gaming on a global scale." Oh, my. These folks are very, very serious."

If you want the whole article is here: http://www.xbox.com/news/0204/stateofxboxv-9.htm

Crazy Joe
04-17-2002, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

i read an article that said that too, but that could have easily been a load of crap, there was no verification of it. The article that jschelm is talking about however, comes from xbox.com, who i consider a pretty reliable source when it comes to xbox information :)