PDA

View Full Version : What genre of game do you like or dislike?

Brevity
04-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Me I am all for FPS, RPG's, action /adventure,--- I like some platform games, few side scrolling.

But awhile back I got a pure adventure game (b/c I liked that type along time ago) and it sucked, not b/c of the game its self, but b/c I have now switched to faster paced games.

I love RPG and FPS though, they are so fun. Out of the two I cant pisk a fav b/c I love the time you put in on RPG, and how involved they get you. But the FPS are so fun w/ friends. and through the years I have put in equal time w/both.

There is one or two types of games that I HATE I suck at them all my friends love them and they make me sick. #1 strategy ie. Warcraft, Civilization, Age of the Empire, ect.. I so so suck at these and I have tried but now the word is stay away. Next is because they bore me, they were fun once and Black and White is the exception...You guessed it, it is Sim games, Sim this and Sim that. They suck. and I have played a few of these. I at one time did not play many PC games I was only a consol gamer, which is funny b/c I have always loved pc's. Then I got my first fun PC game and a good graphics card and never looked back now I play them both a whole lot. a/w enough 4 now what R your thoughts?

So what the Q is what are you all for or against? :D

Kraft
04-16-2002, 09:46 AM
Wow brev, we have way different tastes in games. I am all about strategy games. I love Starcraft, Civ, Age of empires, all sorts of games like that. I also love sim games to a point, though the only one I ever play anymore is SimCity 2000. One game I cannot freaking stand is "the sims" though. God is this game boring... Though I did steal the wife from my sisters family and turned her into a lesbian... That was the most fun I ever got out of this game.

ps. My least favorite type of game are pure sim racing games. I like a little arcade quality with my gaming, if I wanted the real thing I would go out and do it for real...

Ninja Scroll
04-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Ninja lives for RPG's! That's my number 1 love.
Then theirs fighting, sports, action/adventure.
Im willing to try other types of gernes.

But not strategy or puzzles.... unless those d@mn puzzles are included in capcom titles which I hate when they do that!

ftyards
04-16-2002, 09:55 AM
I like FPS, action/adventure, sports and fighting games, I never really tried roleplaying games but I will try them.

Brevity
04-16-2002, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Wow brev, we have way different tastes in games. I am all about strategy games. I love Starcraft, Civ, Age of empires, all sorts of games like that. I also love sim games to a point, though the only one I ever play anymore is SimCity 2000. One game I cannot freaking stand is "the sims" though. God is this game boring... Though I did steal the wife from my sisters family and turned her into a lesbian... That was the most fun I ever got out of this game.

ps. My least favorite type of game are pure sim racing games. I like a little arcade quality with my gaming, if I wanted the real thing I would go out and do it for real...

Ok thats what I am saying all my friend love those types of games and they try to get me to play them and I wont.

Next and this is big I forgot to include driving games I HATE them the only one I ever liked was mario cart (all of them) and I dont count them. So ya those suck and driving games too. Sorry I tried them and no not so much.

Kraft
04-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Going a little off topic, but did anyone ever play the original Wing Commander? That was the first game I ever bought for the PC... and man was it a fun game. Played that, then Wing Commander II. After that they went to live action movies and it got dumb, so I switched to TIE Fighter.

Brevity
04-16-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll
Ninja lives for RPG's! That's my number 1 love.
Then theirs fighting, sports, action/adventure.
Im willing to try other types of gernes.

But not strategy or puzzles.... unless those d@mn puzzles are included in capcom titles which I hate when they do that!

Ok thanks another one on my hate list (not you ) the game type,,,,,Fighting games I HATE them na I just dont think they are fun, the last one I played for any time at all was MC. That did not last, Next all sports games besides Basketball, Football and ya thats it the rest suck. I even dislike Baseball games no. The only one I ever played much was the first RBI it was cool I was young ,,,we grew apart,,,,so sad. And ya RPGs R the Bomb, R U playing DS if not go get it, if your short on cash , kill , steal or whatever to get it. ---Just dont kill me , Im poor.

Brevity
04-16-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Going a little off topic, but did anyone ever play the original Wing Commander? That was the first game I ever bought for the PC... and man was it a fun game. Played that, then Wing Commander II. After that they went to live action movies and it got dumb, so I switched to TIE Fighter.
Ya I still got the disks. I did not like those either. I think I sound Picky. ? ya well atleast I know what I like.

Brevity
04-16-2002, 10:09 AM
Ya and break it down like I like top down RPGs and untill DS I felt intimidated by multiple party members, and I dont know why but I did not like the Forgotten Realms group. My favs till DS came along were the Dioblo series, Nox, (PC), and FF (Nintendo's ones even for GB) Zelda but was it realy a RPG I dont think so, Goldensun rocks (GBA), and well others. So ya in your area of likes break it down.

Dre
04-16-2002, 10:37 AM
I live for RPG's. Ever since Final Fantasy 1 on NES I've been hooked to immersive storyline's in game playing. I can't wait till the Xbox RPG's start coming out! I also like a good action/adventure game from time to time as long as there is a good story. Genma Onimusha and Blood Omen 2 are great examples of these..although Blood Omen 2 had a bit too many "move box, jump on box to platform" kind of puzzles.

Anyways, those are the games I like! Now I think I'll go back to drooling over Morrowind and Project Ego.

Dre

LynxFX
04-16-2002, 11:39 AM
Love FPS and RTS.

Hate RPG and most party games.

Brevity
04-16-2002, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Love FPS and RTS.

Hate RPG and most party games.

Oh ya Party games------me to

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 12:16 PM
I'm a huge fan of 3-D Shooters - both FPS and 3rd-person shooters. I prefer 1st person, though if I had to pick.

I also love action games...they basically give me the most fun. Sports can be nice, too.

Genres that I dislike in comparision are RPGs, Party games (there may be one or two exceptions), and strategy games. However, I am going to purchase Project Ego and see what I may be missing with RPGs...I figure, if I am meant to be initiated into the RPG genre, then, this is the game to get since it is, supposedly, setting a new benchmark for the genre. Kinda like how Halo set a new benchmark for FPS genre :)

Dre
04-16-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey Max,

Good call on project ego, it definitely is going to redefine the RPG genre. You can't forget Morrowind though. This game is being released close to a year before Project Ego and is also going to redefine the RPG genre. I will be purchasing it to tide me over until Project Ego comes out.

I'd suggest you rent Morrowind when its finally released, if you aren't hooked after one rental, then at least you've saved some $$. But, I wouldn't dismiss this game.. it looks amazing from the screenshots and promises so many things! Looks to be great!!

Dre

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Hey Max,

Good call on project ego, it definitely is going to redefine the RPG genre. You can't forget Morrowind though. This game is being released close to a year before Project Ego and is also going to redefine the RPG genre. I will be purchasing it to tide me over until Project Ego comes out.

I'd suggest you rent Morrowind when its finally released, if you aren't hooked after one rental, then at least you've saved some $$. But, I wouldn't dismiss this game.. it looks amazing from the screenshots and promises so many things! Looks to be great!!

Dre

Dre...that's some good advice, I think. I definately wouldn't purchase Morrowind without renting or trying it first since I am not a hardcore RPG guy. The main reason for my hesitation is that I don't actually recall ever playing a full-fledged RPG. Know what I mean? I guess the closest thing I have come to playing an RPG is Azurik and Zelda, and, those seem more like Action/Adventure games that carry some RPG elements, however, neither can be considered true full-fledged RPGs. So, in a way, I'm not really sure what I am missing, therefore, I figure if I am going to become initiated into the genre, I might as well as do it with the best of the best.

Good advice on renting it first, though...what's nice is that the XBox has a hard-drive...and if I get pretty far while renting it and not interested in starting over, I won't have to :) I love the XBox!!

Spaztic
04-16-2002, 12:45 PM
games where you have to jump from platform to platform and games with block puzzles!

Master Gracey
04-16-2002, 12:48 PM
I like RPGs when they're done well... but my fav type are the old adventure games that companies like Sierra and Lucasarts used to make... stuff like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Robin Hood and King's Quest. Lucasarts was my fav though because they were always so funny. Hopefully someone will make more games like these soon because they've totally fallen under the radar. Sim games and strategy games are only fun for me with cheats turned on so I can have absolute control over everything. I get frustrated with disasters, famine and raids happening every 2 seconds. :D

What I really hate are fighting games... they're so boring and have absolutely no point. I'm also starting to get bored with FPS's. The storylines are starting to get redundant and without a good story, they're nothing more than walking around and shooting. That tends to become tedious after about 5 minutes.

Now what REALLY bugs me is that it seems like everything that comes out anymore has to be sci-fi, or set in Japan or China. For starters, I can't stand anime... so all these games that aren't anime, but have anime features in their stories, make me want to do nothing but fall asleep. Don't even get me started on sci-fi... I actively despise that. It seems that even games that are set in the past have to have stupid sci-fi elements in them. Like laser guns in 1906... **yawn**

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 12:58 PM
SPORTS GAMES!!!-nuttin like whoopin your buddies ash in any sport game

FPS's- same reason as above

PRGs- if their donw well and have enuff to explore and takes time
they have to be good...becuase most rpgs dont' have good replay value- and thats what i'm all about

anygood multiplayer...the genres varie...but i'm all about good multi player games

types i hate-
sim driving games
sim flying games
anything to do with EA's sim line- ex. the sims, sim city etc etc
most platformers

aronx
04-16-2002, 01:05 PM
reading this thread makes me feel like i'm stuck in an n'sync or backdoor boy video.

Dre
04-16-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by aronx
reading this thread makes me feel like i'm stuck in an n'sync or backdoor boy video.

Ok.. there.. I finally figured out what you look like buddy:

http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/where/images/oscar.jpg

Have a good day
Dre

Brevity
04-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
I like RPGs when they're done well... but my fav type are the old adventure games that companies like Sierra and Lucasarts used to make... stuff like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Robin Hood and King's Quest. Lucasarts was my fav though because they were always so funny. Hopefully someone will make more games like these soon because they've totally fallen under the radar. Sim games and strategy games are only fun for me with cheats turned on so I can have absolute control over everything. I get frustrated with disasters, famine and raids happening every 2 seconds. :D

What I really hate are fighting games... they're so boring and have absolutely no point. I'm also starting to get bored with FPS's. The storylines are starting to get redundant and without a good story, they're nothing more than walking around and shooting. That tends to become tedious after about 5 minutes.

Now what REALLY bugs me is that it seems like everything that comes out anymore has to be sci-fi, or set in Japan or China. For starters, I can't stand anime... so all these games that aren't anime, but have anime features in their stories, make me want to do nothing but fall asleep. Don't even get me started on sci-fi... I actively despise that. It seems that even games that are set in the past have to have stupid sci-fi elements in them. Like laser guns in 1906... **yawn**

Ya ya and those cell games I think its called Cell Shading like Jet set Radio ...~I don likey

Brevity
04-16-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Dre

Ok.. there.. I finally figured out what you look like buddy:

http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/where/images/oscar.jpg

Have a good day
Dre
Right on Dre....WTF aronx uh note to self dont get high b4 posting in forum

Dag78
04-16-2002, 04:26 PM
i love FPS, Sports, Racing, and Fighters

i dont care for linear RPGs, and Japenese RPGs

Brevity
04-17-2002, 09:15 AM
Ya Japanese Rpgs R not really all that fun.

Kraft
04-17-2002, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
I like RPGs when they're done well... but my fav type are the old adventure games that companies like Sierra and Lucasarts used to make... stuff like Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Robin Hood and King's Quest.

Kings Quest! What a great line of RPG's. Well at least up to 6 or 7 when it started getting cartoony and goofy. I still play KQV every now and then. Course you know what rpg I played a lot more? Space Quest with Roger Wilco :) now there was a funny game.

thejoker
04-17-2002, 09:24 AM
My fav is FPS's!

I also like Xtreme Sports, RPG, Driving Sims and Hide 'n Seek with my 2 year old daughter..... You just have to love playing games with your kid!

Later,
:cool:

Brevity
04-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by thejoker
My fav is FPS's!

I also like Xtreme Sports, RPG, Driving Sims and Hide 'n Seek with my 2 year old daughter..... You just have to love playing games with your kid!

Later,
:cool:
Right on Joker I get the biggest kicks playen w/ my kids. They are to young 4 the Box right now anyway. I can 4see them being great at it oneday. Or not Im easy and will not make them do something they dont like,,,,,,but whats not to like?

thejoker
04-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Brevity

Right on Joker I get the biggest kicks playen w/ my kids. They are to young 4 the Box right now anyway. I can 4see them being great at it oneday. Or not Im easy and will not make them do something they dont like,,,,,,but whats not to like?

Same here.... my daughter is 2 and loves to play on the PS1, she said that 'Daddy's Box is his and I have the Plaything (PS1).'

She also loves to play on the PC and since I'm a Network Engineer it makes me feel so good to see her playing on the PC... but I will never force her into a field, if she wants to be game designer for PS then I will not hold that against her... hehehe.

Later,

04-17-2002, 03:42 PM
I like FPS, Action, Adventure, Strategy, and some RPGs (Final Fantasy VII)

I dislike puzzle games, sims, and sports (I'd rather just go outside and play them)

Brevity
04-17-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by guest
I like FPS, Action, Adventure, Strategy, and some RPGs (Final Fantasy VII)

I dislike puzzle games, sims, and sports (I'd rather just go outside and play them)
But what a/b rainy days then what. and nice take on that.

FlyBoy
04-17-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm a FPS and Extreme fan myself!

Skarp
04-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Im not too fond of any sim games.

Duke
04-18-2002, 11:42 AM
I pretty much enjoy most well made games. My least favorites are party and sim games though.

Right on to the old Sierra fans. SQ, KQ, Codename: Iceman are among my favorite all-time games.

Also, I agree that FPS games (which I love) seem to be mass-produced these days. It is going to take me a lot of rentals to pick those that I will buy.

As far as fighting games go, I only find them fun against other people not against the game itself. Unfortunately, I seem to have reached an age where most people I know do not play games and those that do own a PS2. Oh well, I am more than willing to throw my $$ into other genres.

Liquid Gears
04-18-2002, 12:58 PM
My kind of specialty game is:cool::

1. Shooting
2. Racing
3. Fighting

I hate RPG games. Way to slow for me:(

Brevity
04-18-2002, 04:58 PM
I think Sim games is the biggest looser in this thread. Most people dont like them. And LG did you mean FPS? Not like Duck Hunt. hu?