PDA

View Full Version : what era makes the best RPG?

Dre
04-16-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi everyone,

Well, here's my q. Which era in time makes the best RPG?

Is it a Tolkien'esque approach?
Medieval with horses and knights?
Mix of now and then with guns and swords and stuff?
Or.. futuristic with plasma swords and liquified plutonium nuclear pistolletes? :D

It would be cool if you gave an example of a game that you think influenced your choice the most.

Lates,
Dre

XBOX Dude
04-16-2002, 10:50 AM
tolkien's by far nothin beats the dragons and spells and the kind of stuff look at the two biggest rpg's online everquest and ultima both that kind

Dre
04-16-2002, 10:52 AM
I have to agree with you there... thats what I enjoy most too. Mostly because it is pure fantasy and those stories are my favorite!

Zen
04-16-2002, 11:16 AM
how about sumthing outside the genre and new? once you play one medievil game youve played'em all basically to an extant. same goes for anytime.

Get creative developers, and think of new genres for roleplaying. cause thats what its about isnt it? roleplaying, the best parts to roleplay are the ones you never thought about...

May the universe bless the creative people

Bundy
04-16-2002, 11:17 AM
i love the medeveil.. only way to go.

Dre
04-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Zen
how about sumthing outside the genre and new? once you play one medievil game youve played'em all basically to an extant. same goes for anytime.

Get creative developers, and think of new genres for roleplaying. cause thats what its about isnt it? roleplaying, the best parts to roleplay are the ones you never thought about...

May the universe bless the creative people

Thats interesting.. I had an idea that is kinda like that.. I was thinking of maybe starting work on it this summer.

Its an RPG but you are an alien from a different universe. You are the last survivor of your species and you have no recollection of how your species got wiped out. You slowly get clues from your surroundings, etc.. and your memory starts to slowly comeback in flashbacks. I thought the flashbacks could be the cutscenes in the game and would help progress the story. I guess it would be something like two alien factions that have been ruling for dominance and your species lost. Thinking they've wiped you out, your enemy leaves. Its up to you to bring honor back to your species. Maybe using wormholes or something you could do time-warping. I dunno.. I think it could make a pretty cool game if done well.

Anyhoo...

Brevity
04-16-2002, 12:02 PM
Tolkien and Medieval they both work. But Tolken is the better and Dungeon Siege Rules!

Master Gracey
04-16-2002, 12:26 PM
Actually, I think the 1800's makes the best time for an RPG. Think of all the things you could include (though not all at the same time):

Jack the Ripper
Industrial Revolution
Civil War
Treasure Island
2 presidential assassinations
Jules Verne
Edgar Allan Poe
Thomas Edison
Tall ships & the end of the pirate age
The dawn of photography
Queen Victoria

Those are just a few examples... I've always wanted to do something interesting with the 1895 simultaneous invention of the movie camera by Thomas Edison and the Lumiere brothers. And I have absolutely no clue as to why noone has seriously explored Jules Verne in a video game... the best use of Verne was the old Journey Into the Imagination ride at Epcot, but they changed it and now it's really stupid. They dumbed it down for today's less-educated population...

Dre
04-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Good call.. made me think of a game I played a LONG time ago on PC but can't remember the name. It was all based upon Edgar Allen Poe stories and was quite cool! Anyone remember the name? Oh.. these kind of things bug me...

SkoalMint
04-16-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Master Gracey
Actually, I think the 1800's makes the best time for an RPG. Think of all the things you could include (though not all at the same time):

Jack the Ripper
Industrial Revolution
Civil War
Treasure Island
2 presidential assassinations
Jules Verne
Edgar Allan Poe
Thomas Edison
Tall ships & the end of the pirate age
The dawn of photography
Queen Victoria

Howt about a Western??? I for one would love to see a good western RPG. If you included various paths: law man, bounty hunter, gambler, outlaw. Riding horses, rustling cattle, robbing trains, and visiting saloons. Weapons could include fists, knives, whips, derringers, six-shooters, shotguns, rifles, gatling guns, etc. Anyway, just a thought. Regarding the poll, I prefer Tolkien/Medieval. I've never been big on the Sci-Fi RPG's, tho KOTR looks intriguing.

Master Gracey
04-16-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by SkoalMint
Howt about a Western??? I for one would love to see a good western RPG. If you included various paths: law man, bounty hunter, gambler, outlaw. Riding horses, rustling cattle, robbing trains, and visiting saloons. Weapons could include fists, knives, whips, derringers, six-shooters, shotguns, rifles, gatling guns, etc. Anyway, just a thought.

How could I have forgotten that??? Thank you, SkoalMint, for correcting my oversight. :D You're right along the lines of an idea I had for GTA4... a Wild West game where you steal horses instead of cars and the cops are Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

And I notice that you're new here... so welcome to the forums!

Crazy Joe
04-16-2002, 01:59 PM
haha, RCMP going after the horse thief. That would be a great game!!

Crazy Joe
04-16-2002, 07:46 PM
by the way, i think medieval like Final Fantasy II and III and Chrono Trigger(at least the begiinning of the game) is the best for RPGs

Kooster
04-16-2002, 09:40 PM
I'm surprised so many ppl like midievil, cuz i can't stand it!! I like FF VII-IX type settings.

Skarp
04-16-2002, 11:09 PM
SkoalMint! Phat, another XBA-Dipper! Welcome

Anyway, whats the difference between tokien and medieval? (I haven't seen the movie)

Dre
04-16-2002, 11:11 PM
Tolkien has things like elves, dwarves, dragons, etc...

Medieval is more "knight in shining armor"..

Skarp
04-17-2002, 03:21 AM
Hrm, I see. Why not a combination of both, I loved Everquest, that tended to be a mix of a bunch of things.