PDA

View Full Version : Media Player Software

LordPantera
09-17-2001, 05:39 PM
As a happy owner of Turtle Beach's AudioTron MP3 player, I am constantly looking for new cooler toys like it. I am hoping the XBox will turn out to be a great addition to my toy box by allowing folks to write software for the XBox so that the XBox will be able to fill in the missing link area of my home entertainment system. I want software for the XBox that will allow me to play media files (MP3, AVI, DVD, VCD, ASF, etc) from my home computer storage systems, and from the Internet (exactly like the AudioTron, but with the advantage of video too).

After having surfed the Net all afternoon looking for such indications that people are thinking like me, what I am amazed at is how little dicussion there is of these types of uses of the XBox. Agreed probably 99% of you all are gamers only, but most friends of mine have the same mindset in that we are looking for the cool uses of having a highly functional and customizable system that will put out DTS digital sound and HDTV signals to our huge home theater systems, but efficiently playing 'on-demand' the media that we have built up on our computer hard drives via our home LANs.

Anyone out there thinking the same things??? Or is this the wrong site to be asking this question?

Xboxmaster2001
09-17-2001, 08:06 PM
umm thinking the same about what....being a gamer?? elaborate

Big_Bad_Munky
09-17-2001, 08:37 PM
riiiiight,

i just wanna play xbox

LordPantera
09-18-2001, 09:23 AM
What I'm looking for is some indication that people, whether the general public or established publishing houses (not knowing how 'open' the XBox API's are going to be), are creating software for the XBox that is entertainment focused, but not a game.

The root of this thinking comes from rumors that I've heard that the XBox is more or less a MS Windows 2000 run computer, which would give it a tremendous amount of functionality not necessarily needed or used by games. Plus, if it is Win2K, then one would think that most software for PC's would run on it (maybe).

Specifically, I'd love to see a decent looking and functional media jukebox program available for the XBox that at the very least supported playing media (sound and video) files off of network drives (like the above referenced Audiotron). That's not all I'm looking for either, as I'm also curious to see what other new types of software can be created with the resources of the XBox.

Big_Bad_Munky
09-18-2001, 01:57 PM
right, maybe u might wanna check out the pc section in microsoft,
xbox is a console, and consoles are for playing games, so maybe an xbox isn't for u, and u just need a good CPU

cvking
09-18-2001, 02:51 PM
lol