PDA

View Full Version : XBox Communicator

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:48 PM
http://eur.i1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/multipl/20010628/3423510536.jpg

Well, gentlemen, this is going to be sweet! This will be how us on-line gamers are going to communicate starting this summer. A few great things about this thing is that we will be able to mute certain people (great idea if we are playing Unreal Championship CTF or something - so you can strategize with your on-line team) and we will be able to manipulate our voices so we can sound like we are some razor blade gargling gorilla or as squeeky as Pee Wee Herman :D

This is innovation!!!

It appears that it's going to be wireless and that we have to plug in the cartridge in one of the available memory card slots on the controller!! :)

Kraft
04-16-2002, 04:50 PM
wow, looks crazy cool. I think that cord will eventually tick me off though... shame they couldn't make it wireless. (i know, i know, it would cost a lot more... but i would be willing to pay for it)

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
wow, looks crazy cool. I think that cord will eventually tick me off though... shame they couldn't make it wireless. (i know, i know, it would cost a lot more... but i would be willing to pay for it)

I'm not quite sure yet if it's going to be wireless or not...it seems like it might because there is a cartridge that goes into one of the memory slots without any wires coming from it. I guess we'll see :)

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:53 PM
Here's another pic:

This seems to show that it actually does have a wire.

http://images.canaljuegos.com/XBOX/accesorios/communicator/1.jpg

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 04:53 PM
did ya'll also know that MS is making it a requirement that ALL games devolped to go online MUST be compatable with the voice communicator! that rocks.....

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
did ya'll also know that MS is making it a requirement that ALL games devolped to go online MUST be compatable with the voice communicator! that rocks.....

Dude, that's sweet! And, that's a very good thing...Man, on-line gaming is going to be taken to a completely new level with this mama jama!! :D

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 04:55 PM
max ...it looks like the wire extending from the actual voice (not ear) piece would most likley go and connect into the cartridge that fits into the memorey/accesory slots on the controller.

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
max ...it looks like the wire extending from the actual voice (not ear) piece would most likley go and connect into the cartridge that fits into the memorey/accesory slots on the controller.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking...either way, it doesn't bug me...I just want to make sure I give you the proper instruction on how to capture the flag while playing Unreal Championship :D hehe

DZNUTZ
04-16-2002, 05:07 PM
:confused: whats UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP...and why would i want to capture a flag?

jk...man, man oh man....i can't wait.:eek:

CodeMonkey
04-16-2002, 05:08 PM
The mag I have says that the communicator will be wireless, using port of the slots on the control pad, and they say u can use filters so u could talk like masterchief............COOOOOOOOOL

Looks nice
Oh max, that problem with halo is sorted now, cheers………..

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by CodeMonkey
The mag I have says that the communicator will be wireless, using port of the slots on the control pad, and they say u can use filters so u could talk like masterchief............COOOOOOOOOL

Looks nice
Oh max, that problem with halo is sorted now, cheers………..

Sweet, Codemonkey! Man, the second picture I posted sure looks like it's going to have a wire, though...but, maybe that was an early picture or something. Would it be possible for you to quote and reference the source where you got the information about it being wireless? That would be sweet if it's possible!

By the way, I'm really glad to hear that you got everything figured out with Halo on-line! :)

Snoopy7548
04-16-2002, 05:21 PM
ive known about this for a while, anyone see the communicator demo thingy? it was so cool, it had some people playin online, and they were playin a kick ass fightin game, and they were talking, but they had this thing that like transformed their voices and stuff, it was so awesome:D

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
ive known about this for a while, anyone see the communicator demo thingy? it was so cool, it had some people playin online, and they were playin a kick ass fightin game, and they were talking, but they had this thing that like transformed their voices and stuff, it was so awesome:D

Yeah, dude! I remember that video, too! But, one question, though: do you recall that wireless handheld device they were showing on there? I wonder if we need one of those or can use our cell phones for telling us what games are available and stuff?!? :confused:

Snoopy7548
04-16-2002, 05:54 PM
i think they were using a cell phone, i dont think it was xbox related though, they were just telling each other to join the game

l Maximus l
04-16-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
i think they were using a cell phone, i dont think it was xbox related though, they were just telling each other to join the game

Oh, ok...that makes sense. I just remember I kept seeing that thing and it made me wonder why they kept showing that thing! Oh well...I know it's not a big deal, but, I don't know...it just seems to me that people from all over the country were communicating on that thing or something!? :confused:

Maybe I just don't recall correctly...but, do you know where that movie is anymore? I wouldn't mind checking it out again :)

FlyBoy
04-16-2002, 06:12 PM
I think I'm going to pee my pants! That is cool as balls! Nice find Max. Now I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the fees for XBOX online aren't through the roof!:cool:

Snoopy7548
04-16-2002, 06:31 PM
i dont really know like the exact link, but i remember that it was on microsofts website, under a CES show thing (cosumer electronics show, i think thats waht it is)

CodeMonkey
04-16-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Sweet, Codemonkey! Man, the second picture I posted sure looks like it's going to have a wire, though...but, maybe that was an early picture or something. Would it be possible for you to quote and reference the source where you got the information about it being wireless? That would be sweet if it's possible!

yeah cheers max
Well I should have made this clearer as the mag I was reading was assuming it would be wireless as Fonix, the company responsible for the speech recognition deal with wireless technology as well. no link in the mag, so i found this link

Have a read. not much I’m afraid

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5275717717.html

No Fear 23
04-16-2002, 08:53 PM
Dang, that blows, its gona be hard for me cause i am an hearing imparied person.i was hoping microsoft would have something like closed caption or something to make things easier to hear for all those hearing imparied ppl out there.

hey max, do u really have to have the xbox comunicator to play online??

btw, when u r at E3, find out some info about it if u can.
thanks

Aussie_18
04-17-2002, 01:19 AM
Just found this clipping... thought I'd share it with you dudes...

Of all the peripherals coming to Xbox, the Voice Communicator is perhaps the most exciting. Selton Hill, producer on Argonaut's SWAT: Global Strike Team - one of the first games to use the unit -is certainly keen to get to grips with it. "Primarily, we're using the Voice Communicator in the single player mode, and having voice recognition allows us to have the player order his team around in the most natural way possible - by speaking to them". "We have alot of ideas for it, but I don't really want to give them away yet. But it's a whole new input device. I think you'll see an increase in the immersion level of games that use it properly".

So this lil baby is gonna be in use with single player games too...
SWEET :cool:

Cheers, Aussie_18

Crazy Joe
04-17-2002, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by Aussie_18
Just found this clipping... thought I'd share it with you dudes...

Of all the peripherals coming to Xbox, the Voice Communicator is perhaps the most exciting. Selton Hill, producer on Argonaut's SWAT: Global Strike Team - one of the first games to use the unit -is certainly keen to get to grips with it. "Primarily, we're using the Voice Communicator in the single player mode, and having voice recognition allows us to have the player order his team around in the most natural way possible - by speaking to them". "We have alot of ideas for it, but I don't really want to give them away yet. But it's a whole new input device. I think you'll see an increase in the immersion level of games that use it properly".

So this lil baby is gonna be in use with single player games too...
SWEET :cool:

Cheers, Aussie_18

This kind of usage is the first thing I thought of when i discovered the Communicator, I was thinking about it being used in Halo 2 to tell marines where the hell to go. I hated in it Halo when they would just run out and get killed.

SkoalMint
04-17-2002, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by irule23
Dang, that blows, its gona be hard for me cause i am an hearing imparied person.i was hoping microsoft would have something like closed caption or something to make things easier to hear for all those hearing imparied ppl out there.

hey max, do u really have to have the xbox comunicator to play online??

btw, when u r at E3, find out some info about it if u can.
thanks

MS has paired up with a company (FONIX) that will provide voice recognition software. XBox Addict had a news story here (http://www.xboxaddict.com/archives/archives.php?News_ID=2012). Since it will allow you to interact with a game by speaking, it may be possible to include some type of closed captioning capability.