PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about the Xbox design?

Samwise
01-04-2001, 03:49 PM
I'm not posting any pics, but to those who have seen it:

What did you think of it? I think it looks awesome. The controller looks a bit bulky though, but I'm sure it's comfortable. :)

KevinM
01-04-2001, 06:20 PM
I was lucky enough to get the images that you had posted up the other day Samwise before nuking the post (grrr) and I must say that I was very pleased by the design. I agree with you that the controller looks to be a bit bulky and while I have big hands I tend to wonder how well it's going to fit into kids hands that are much smaller. The controller has a Dreamcast quality about it but looks to be much more user friendly according to button and joystick placement.
<P>
The Box itself looks kewlio, my only quip would be the black X on top... IMHO a chrome X would have looked better but I suppose to some that may be a bit to tacky. On page 114 there is an XBOX prototype on the table that the X is silver... I wonder if there is going to be a choice of coloring?? I loved the fact that the box has two controller ports on each side keeping the spaghetti wire catastrophe down to a minimum. Also if you can decipher some of the smaller text thats on a few of the pages the controller wire is a wopping 9 and a half feet long!! Woohoo! No longer will we have to sit on the sofa with the cord drawn tight.
<P>
A funny story on this topic is Tom, Ben and a few others came over to my house the day after I got the PS2 for some DOA2 sessions... Tom sitting on the sofa (cord drawn tight)looking at the DOA2 manual had the controller yanked from his hands from one of my psycho cats ripping through the house. Moonee (attention whore kitty of the year) close lined herself on the joypad wire and sent the controller sailing down the hall. It was a sight to see. Needless to say the attention whore nor the controller were hurt.
<P>
The color coding on the controller was a nice touch. The back button sounds to be a nifty feature as well. I'm wondering what the two buttons above the ABXY are there for?? No labelling is on them... hmmmmm.
<P>
Anyway that's my take on it as of now... more when we see some more pics :)

ScrewTape
01-05-2001, 04:27 PM
I think it's great. I'm not afriad of the controller. It looks alot like the dreamcast controller, And I love the dreamcast controller.

Playstation 4 Life
01-05-2001, 06:24 PM
I think it looked awesome, But, I hated the Controller, it looked too big.

Underdog
01-08-2001, 10:58 AM
Makes me want to go and smack my Mama!<p>
:)I'm just kidding Mom.:)

John
01-08-2001, 05:17 PM
I think the design is frikkin awesome. As I posted a few days ago (ahem), it is probably my favorite of any console that I've seen. It's just beautiful. A far cry from those annoying bubbly/colored nintendo systems.. My only qualm is with the 'jewels' (the big green logos). They seem a bit.. unnecessary. A little logo is fine, but one that takes up the whole middle of the controller?

But the controllers are nice.. I know someone was complaining about them being too hefty, but I think that's a good thing. More options, the more fun. I'm sure MSFT wouldn't be issuing a controller that's even a tad uncomfortable.

This weekend definitley jumpstarted my excitement. I'm going to put another $100 down for it this week. :D

John
01-08-2001, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Kevin
I'm wondering what the two buttons above the ABXY are there for??

The 'Black' and 'White' buttons give eight degrees of control depending on how hard you press them.
-Offical Xbox Newsletter

Kuni D
01-08-2001, 05:55 PM
Suppose it wouldve been to much to ask, but think about a brushed steel unit, completely polygonal in designs, (ie no wierd curls or bumps)...drool.
with a glowing X in the middle.
Now that would kick ass :)
Aside from fantasy, I like it, its simple, although (Kuni hopes he doesnt have a thousand virus' sent to his machine, with a petition saying "we have you"), I sorta prefer the PS2.
The vertical stand thing's got me hooked lol.

Tom
01-09-2001, 03:42 PM
you just like that tower of power feeling. ;) I think the Xbox design is good, better than most consoles I have been exposed to in the last 5 years or so. In the end, it could be ugly is sin, I'm just concerned about the games. ;) *Still wondering what that controller is gonna feel like...*

Sham365
01-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Is it just me, or does the Xbox look like a car stereo amp on steroids?

It's just so boxy to me. I would prefer if they chose to smooth it out somewhat. With all the vents I can easily see it becoming a hassle to clean all the time.

Samwise
01-11-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kevin
I was lucky enough to get the images that you had posted up the other day Samwise before nuking the post (grrr
Well, the reason I deleted the thread was because I was politely asked to. And as the nice guy that I am, I agreed. But the pics are official now anyway. :)

Sham365
01-11-2001, 12:21 PM
:confused:

Man, you are right. The Xbox controllers are big as hell!

[Edited by Sham365 on 01-11-2001 at 01:47 PM]

ScrewTape
01-13-2001, 07:33 AM
I think the xbox look is %1000 perfectly awesome. The only Reason it's so big is that is the smallest box they could fit so much incredible power into. I still can't believe that those munch and malice video's were running at 1/5 of its total power. PS2 is gonna get whooped!!!

John
01-16-2001, 11:21 PM
Do you guys know that the Xbox's controller cables are going to be green? I read this in EGM, and as far as I know, it's a first in the industry. I don't know what to think.. I've always that that color was kinda campy, especially on things as standard as this. I personally feel that Nintendo's downfall was due in part to the bubbly, multi-colored kiddie image of the N64 (although I know the games weren't much either).

Not that this has anything to do with a kiddie image, I'm just not crazy about 9-foot green cords spread around my room.. What do you guys think?

Sham365
01-17-2001, 10:19 AM
I don't see any problem with green cords, it just depends on what shade of green.

Neon green would be awful.
A dark green would be cool.
A metallic green would be nice also.

I would have to see the cords - but I doubt the cord color could ruin the release of a system the caliber of the Xbox.

John
01-18-2001, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Sham365
...it just depends on what shade of green.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I was just picturing in my head these bright neon cords. After looking more closely at the 'xbox revealed' pictures, I can see the cords are a darker green. Reminds me of a snake, which is cool.

I still think black is a better choice, but at least I won't have to worry too much.

Devin
01-30-2001, 06:02 PM
The X-BOX design is one the worst designs I've seen in the Game console world.

Everyone involved in the creation of the X-BOX has been thinking big. The inventors were thinking of great power and great graphics. This I do not have a problem with. The distributors of the X-Box are surely thinking big. When the commercials and advertisements come out the distribution will be massive. Now the console designers are thinking big, maybe a little to big. The shape of the console is bulky and ugly. The jewel on the top is the worst it doesn't even light up. The X on the top is also very ugly. The buttons on the front are idiotic. The eject button is way too big and the power button is way too small. I think a middle size for both of them would be great. I have nothing against the colors green and black are great colors and go with each other very well. It is the size of the machine and the designs on it I do not like. I think an X closer to the X-BOX logo would have been better. The controller is also very big but it also looks very comfortable. I have no problem with the controller, except the jewel on it. They (Microsoft) could have done a better job with the space they wasted on that. Othrewise the controller is very cool. The shape looks like a bat, cool. The buttons, control sticks and d-pads are cool. The cord is a dark green and looks good plugged into the X-BOX.

The X-BOx is the best console comming and I just think with the amount of money being put into the X-BOX they could have done a better job at designing it.

KevinM
01-31-2001, 06:22 AM
As far as the cords go, it looks as if the actual wrapping itself is clear and that the wires inside are protected by braided metal?? On my old RM I used to have the front brake lines were clear with braided hosing underneath. It looked exactly like the xbox cords. Takers??