PDA

View Full Version : cel-shaded games....why?

keefer
04-17-2002, 12:29 AM
OK... Maybe its just me but there seem to be alot of "cel-shaded" games being released or in development. For example JSRF, Robotech, Orchid, and many more. I mean, RObothech is an exception seeing that it was a cartoon of some sort, but as for the others...why? Its just my personal opinion but, doesnt realistic graffics look better? Why would you want the game to look cartoony? And lastly, why is this getting so popular for game developers, ESPECIALLY sega?

I would appreciate all of your input...Im interested.

Crazy Joe
04-17-2002, 12:39 AM
it looks kind of cool for some games, but I agree that it is gonna be overused with the amount of games in development. House of the Dead looks completely weak because of the cel shading.

I would also like to know why so many games use it now.

keefer
04-17-2002, 12:43 AM
house of the dead...thats the one i forgot to mention...and man is it wack...they wanted to make it more "scary" according to OXM so the cel-shaded the monsters....HAHAHAHA, that makes absolutly no sence to me at all.

LynxFX
04-17-2002, 12:59 AM
I'm not a fan of cell shading at all either. I think it only works for games that are supposed to be cartoons like Cel Damage or something like the Simpsons, even though they have a polygon look.

I just don't get why companies greenlit the FPS cel shaded games. That just doesn't make sense at all. It looks like crap as well.

Kraft
04-17-2002, 01:07 AM
It seems companies right now are taking effects and running with them as far as they will go. When the xbox came out, they downright abused the box's reflection capabilities. I know a lo of things reflect, but come on. Some of the rocks in halo reflected if you look close enough...

GokuX
04-17-2002, 01:26 AM
It's a graphics fad.

dougi3000
04-17-2002, 01:29 AM
I think cel shading makes games much better looking. It gives everything a really high contrast and bright looking game.

Sharp edges makes objects much more distinguishable.
I love it.

VenoM
04-17-2002, 02:54 AM
if you look at it this way...theres more looking realstic games then cel shaded,is and always will be...i personaly like it...sometimes theres just games i wanna play that arent realstic...look at jsrf...if i try imagine that looking realstic...it just would look corny and very unreal since if it were realistic looking how do ya expect to grind on rails and buildings...sometimes you do need the cartoony not so real look to make it look more believable...if you know what i mean :confused:

khaos2005
04-17-2002, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by GokuX
It's a graphics fad.

Yeah, exactly. Just like sun flares.

GuiltySpark
04-17-2002, 07:04 AM
cel shading looks pretty sweet when done right.The best I've seen of it was in this show called reboot which cartoon network contiuned(its was a descent show that took place in side of a computer) in one seen it was cel shaded and it seriouly looked liek a anime cartoon. Also since when was house of the dead scary?? It was a fun game but the onyl scary part was when I was low on health and had 3 zombies surrond me which would mean death and 3 more quaters to continue. TRhat gave me soem nightmares.:(

Kilik
04-17-2002, 07:38 AM
I don't have a game cube but let's not forget about Zelda wtf?

JJaX
04-17-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by khaos2005

Yeah, exactly. Just like sun flares.

Lense flaring isnt a fad, If it were a fad we wouldnt see it in current games.

Brevity
04-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by keefer
OK... Maybe its just me but there seem to be alot of "cel-shaded" games being released or in development. For example JSRF, Robotech, Orchid, and many more. I mean, RObothech is an exception seeing that it was a cartoon of some sort, but as for the others...why? Its just my personal opinion but, doesnt realistic graffics look better? Why would you want the game to look cartoony? And lastly, why is this getting so popular for game developers, ESPECIALLY sega?

I would appreciate all of your input...Im interested.
Right on I hate the look of these games.

felix_fabulous
04-17-2002, 09:11 AM
I like cel shading, I don't want to see it in every game but its a stylistic thing. Most games, especially given the potential of the medium, are about as well packaged, presented and stylised as a puddle of vomit. I'd really like to see the boundarys pushed in this area. Physics and sound and all that stuff is pretty good in the current generation of games but to make them better they need to have more style, they need Art Directors I tells ya. The geeks that make those games should pay someone to do it for them, I'm sure geeks are just great at working out how to compress video and audio and make stuff look sparkly but they have no style (thats why geeks dress like they do...see, tell me I'm wrong people) which is why they should get some other company in to do that stuff foe them. Like they did for the Wipeout series. What was the name of the company they got to do the intro and interface and graphic design on the track? maybe Designers Republic? I forget but the point remains folks.

Kraft
04-17-2002, 09:22 AM
cel shading makes me think back to those old PC games, Blackthorne and Flashback. I miss the days of rampant killing in blackthorne...

BAHIE!!! post 200! That happened quick... maybe I should start a thread about it... j/k :cool:

Whisper
04-17-2002, 09:44 AM
i hate the look of cel-shaded games, makes me sick *pukes* friggin comic books

Hugh_Jass
04-17-2002, 12:08 PM
If you consider that games take 18-48 months from inception to delivery it isn't beyond the realm of imagination that cel shading "seemed like a good idea at the time", even if it is getting old these days.

dave_m123
04-17-2002, 12:41 PM
While i can be good like in JSRF and Robotech and is likely to be good in the Futurama game but it can be overused and used badly by alot of other companies who want to cash in on the latest graphics style.

keefer
04-17-2002, 01:48 PM
All i have to say is that cel-shading is an effect that should only be used in certain situations...like games coming from cartoons and what not.
as far as all these other games like house of the dead and JSRF...i just don understand, it looks horrible to me.

Woocifer
04-17-2002, 02:00 PM
Cel-shading is used more and more because the developers are told by the producers that, "Hey, in order to make all the kiddies buy our games, we should use Cel-shading so they think it's wack yo homey beef slip slap sick smack shiz chez gabba dope benny bong bling bling"...

Makes no sense, I know... but in order to sell more games, put a gimmick that a lot of people who have very loose tastes will latch onto as soon as it comes out. I don't want to say ther eis anything wrong with that, but seriously taste has becomes something that happens week to week...

Oh yeah and lens flare has been over used EVERYWHERE...who in their right mind thinks they are playing a game through a lens anyway? I don't see lens flare when I glimpse at the sun...why would I in a game that is either FPS or 3rd person. That's why lensflare is kinda silly...doesn't make sense.

Kinda like the idea that if you go underwater that everything goes all warbly as if you were looking through the surface at the bottom...when you're underwater, its very straightforward, just the visibility is less. Anyway...I personally like more realism in my games, and if it is futureistic or what not, I still want it to look more real than an anime cartoon. BTW anime exploaded all over the place, and we will have to take the next 10 years to clean it all off...I miss normal cartoons. I hate this anime stuff...but apparently that taste is gone too :(

Crazy Joe
04-17-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
if you look at it this way...theres more looking realstic games then cel shaded,is and always will be...i personaly like it...sometimes theres just games i wanna play that arent realstic...look at jsrf...if i try imagine that looking realstic...it just would look corny and very unreal since if it were realistic looking how do ya expect to grind on rails and buildings...sometimes you do need the cartoony not so real look to make it look more believable...if you know what i mean :confused:

umm... have you played any Tony Hawk or recent snowboarding game, they involve grinding on rails and buildings, even wires, they make it work, JSRF didn't need to use any cel shading.

keefer
04-17-2002, 02:37 PM
yeah...tony hawk games and all the simular xgames ones dont use the cel-shading and i personally think they are a hell of alot better looking than games like JSRF...
as for this anime stuff...i think its the source of this cel-shading, if there was no anime..there wouldnt be as much cel-shading.
anime needs to get thrown out...im hoping that all these computer animated cartoons will take over.

Afro Aura
04-17-2002, 05:07 PM
come on guys House of the Dead 3 in cel-shading isn't that bad this game is for the kids and adults, with the power of the XBOX the damn zombies would look to real and I know that not what the XBOX needs right now some parents complaining about HOTD3 and then decide to buy a Game Cube as the games are more appealing, the XBOX needs sales and a real life HOTD3 won't help

Spaztic
04-17-2002, 05:20 PM
cell shaded games = excuse for bad graphics....or programmers!

Plewis
04-17-2002, 05:29 PM
guys, cel shaded games can get overused... but y u guys saying JSRF is bad for using cel shaded... they were one of the first games to use cel shaded... and i dont think they could pull that game off without it being cel shaded. It looks great to me

Afro Aura
04-17-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Plewis
guys, cel shaded games can get overused... but y u guys saying JSRF is bad for using cel shaded... they were one of the first games to use cel shaded... and i dont think they could pull that game off without it being cel shaded. It looks great to me
yep I agree mate, how many of you out there have JSRF?

keefer
04-17-2002, 05:57 PM
i dont have JSRF and i dont intend on getting it any time soon...i dont care if they were the first ones to release ce-shading in that type of style...actually i do care...you know why?
well ill tell you, now that JSRF came out...there are all these coppy cat games coming out. they may not be the same kind of game but they all have one thing in common and you know what that is.
and the whole thing about the zombies looking to real...all i have to say is if parents or kids are afraid of monsters that look to realistic, then maybe they should get a gamecube.
XBOX is a console that was generally intended for older age groups.