PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Slashes XBox Price to Compete with Playstation 2 - (299 euros)

DaDude
04-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Xbox Reduces European Price

LONDON, 18th April 2002 – Microsoft today announced that the European price of its Xbox video game system will be reduced to an estimated street price of €299/£199, effective from 26th April 2002.

Posted 18-Apr-2002

“We are making a clear statement today – we mean business in Europe,” said Sandy Duncan, Vice President, Xbox Europe. “The phenomenally positive response to Xbox through reviews, awards and game sales has demonstrated that consumers love Xbox. We want to make sure that price is not the obstacle to the Xbox experience.”

A similar price reduction was also announced in Australia bringing the price of the system there to A$399.00.

Since its debut Xbox has been identified in head-to-head comparisons by game enthusiasts as the best gaming experience available. Xbox enjoys one of the highest attach rates of any video game console – the attach rate in the UK was 2.8 after two weeks on the market according to ChartTrack. In the US, according to NPDFunworldSM, the definitive source for toy and video games industry sales data, attach rate is 3.9, the highest of any next generation console after four months in the market.

In less than five months since its original debut in America, more than 20 games have already sold over 100,000 units each world-wide. Halo alone has already sold more than one million units world-wide, with the distinction of having achieved that mark faster than any other next generation game. It has also garnered some of the strongest European reviews ever for a video game, with publications like Edge calling it “the most important launch game for any console ever.” With this price reduction, Microsoft makes Xbox the clear choice for all customers.

“This is a long-term, strategic move that will benefit our retail partners, our third-party publishing partners and ultimately the gamer,” said Duncan. “Xbox has always been amazing value for money, and now it is even more so - we are providing the right console at the right price. The most powerful video game system on earth, and the only one with a built-in hard drive and broadband adapter, is now without a doubt the best value available. The playing field in Europe has been levelled, making it even easier for customers to enjoy the power of Xbox.”

“Xbox enjoyed a great launch in Europe – fantastic product and fantastic games,” said David Gardner, VP, Electronic Arts. “It’s great they’re making a move that will enable more customers to enjoy Xbox. Plus, this is great for publishers as our games, such as FIFA World Cup 2002 and the Xbox-exclusive Buffy the Vampire Slayer, now have the potential to reach an even wider audience in Europe.”

“This is a great move for Xbox,” said Lisa Morgan, Commercial Director, The GAME Group plc. “Xbox sales have been good but now there’s an even greater sales potential for us. We will benefit from increased hardware sales, which in turn results in increased peripheral and games sales. Feedback from our customers on Xbox has been extremely positive – if there has been one limiting factor it has been price. We’re glad Microsoft has made an aggressive move to remove the price barrier and put this fantastic console into more European homes in a quicker timeframe. This is going to benefit the industry as well as customers.”

Customers who have already purchased an Xbox at the original price will be rewarded for their early adoption with a special thank-you package. Details are posted on www.xbox.com/uk.

“We’re offering a special package to those who purchased an Xbox at the original price point, as a thank-you to customers who helped with our early success,” said Duncan.

*******************EARLIER******************

Microsoft Slashes XBox Price to Compete with Playstation 2

HB DÜSSELDORF. Microsoft Corp. will try to jump-start disappointing sales of its X-Box games console – launched on March 14 in Europe – by slashing the product's recommended unit price to 299 euros from 479 euros on April 26 for all European territories.

Hans Stettmeier, Microsoft's chief of operations in Germany, confirmed the move. "People are interested, but the main complaint is the price," he said.

The X-Box's new price will be in line with Sony's pricing strategy for Playstation 2. Sony cut the games console's price at the end of 2001, and was rewarded with a rapid surge in sales. Sony sold 850,000 units in Germany alone and expects that number to "at least double" in the next 12 months, according to Manfred Gerdes, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment's German operations.

With 25 million units sold worldwide, Sony leads the global market for games consoles. Microsoft declined to provide concrete sales figures for the X-Box's Europe launch. But the console's start was widely regarded as rocky, with German retailers offering the product at a big discount to lure buyers.

Sony's Gerdes said two X-Boxes were sold for every one Playstation 2 in the first week of its launch. But by the third week, retailers were again moving 4.4 Playstation 2 units for every one X-Box.

To avoid backlash from its customer base, Microsoft said it plans to offer pre-price cut buyers of the X-Box, who show their receipts, two free X-Box games of their choice and a game controller.

Microsoft's goal is to sell 4.5 to 6 million X-Boxes worldwide by mid-year, but several banks and analysts have already started chipping away at that estimate.

see this:
Price Cut (http://www.handelsblatt.com/hbiwwwangebot/fn/relhbi/sfn/buildhbee/cn/GoArt!201096,201096,520591/SH/0/depot/0/index.)

-----------------------------------------------
if you build it, they will play

XboxGamers
04-17-2002, 08:34 PM
Now lets move some Xboxes!!

http://www.handelsblatt.com/hbiw...index.html

Microsoft Slashes XBox Price to Compete with Playstation 2

HB DÜSSELDORF. Microsoft Corp. will try to jump-start disappointing sales of its X-Box games console – launched on March 14 in Europe – by slashing the product's recommended unit price to 299 euros from 479 euros on April 26 for all European territories.

Hans Stettmeier, Microsoft's chief of operations in Germany, confirmed the move. "People are interested, but the main complaint is the price," he said.

The X-Box's new price will be in line with Sony's pricing strategy for Playstation 2. Sony cut the games console's price at the end of 2001, and was rewarded with a rapid surge in sales. Sony sold 850,000 units in Germany alone and expects that number to "at least double" in the next 12 months, according to Manfred Gerdes, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment's German operations.

With 25 million units sold worldwide, Sony leads the global market for games consoles. Microsoft declined to provide concrete sales figures for the X-Box's Europe launch. But the console's start was widely regarded as rocky, with German retailers offering the product at a big discount to lure buyers.

Sony's Gerdes said two X-Boxes were sold for every one Playstation 2 in the first week of its launch. But by the third week, retailers were again moving 4.4 Playstation 2 units for every one X-Box.

To avoid backlash from its customer base, Microsoft said it plans to offer pre-price cut buyers of the X-Box, who show their receipts, two free X-Box games of their choice and a game controller.

Microsoft's goal is to sell 4.5 to 6 million X-Boxes worldwide by mid-year, but several banks and analysts have already started chipping away at that estimate.

faceoff508
04-17-2002, 08:36 PM
This will boost Microsofts sales, it might oversell Ps2.

maneatingcow
04-17-2002, 08:53 PM
A price drop from $427 to $266.....

Thats $161 for the 2 games and an extra controller.... a bit much there.....

Crazy Joe
04-17-2002, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by maneatingcow-XBA
A price drop from $427 to $266.....

Thats $161 for the 2 games and an extra controller.... a bit much there.....

that really depends on how much games cost in Europe, if they cost $60 or $65(i wouldn't be surprised) and the controller is around $40 then it makes sense.

tech
04-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Makes more sense now. I didn't understand why the high price in the UK. That was a lot of mulla. I don't think that I would have bought my Xbox in the US if it was that much.

GokuX
04-17-2002, 11:43 PM
I agree with ya tech, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have bought the Xbox if it was over $400.

Halo of Flies
04-18-2002, 04:16 AM
Originally posted by DaDude
To avoid backlash from its customer base, Microsoft said it plans to offer pre-price cut buyers of the X-Box, who show their receipts, two free X-Box games of their choice and a game controller
OMG! Pleeeaaaase let this be true!!!! Not only would two free games be sweet but the reduced price of the console will have Sony weeping! :D

dave_m123
04-18-2002, 04:22 AM
yeah the form for applying for your free games and controller is on the official UK Xbox website. Im waiting till 26th of april before i pick mine however as a full list of games will be on then.

UnitedKingdom
04-18-2002, 04:37 AM
Have a look at this on BBC news online.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/new_media/newsid_1936000/1936791.stm

Current UK xbox prices:

Xbox and 1 controller - £300 ($433 US dollars)
Extra Controller - £25 ($36)
Typical Game Price £45 ($60)

New xbox price after 26th April - £199 ($287):D

--------
IT IS TRUE, YOU WILL GET 2 FREE GAMES AND A CONTROLLER!!!!!

http://www.xbox.com/uk/news/0025.htm?det=1
-Official xbox site thank you and free games notice!

Halo of Flies
04-18-2002, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the info!
http://www.georgetownsuites.com/assets/images/smile.gif

me as a baby, having a premonition about today.
http://www.leaptoad.com/ahp/florida/1997/smile.jpg

Afro Aura
04-18-2002, 05:22 AM
YESssss the fight has started 4/26 and there can be only one winner
I think it starts with an X

hybridmatrix
04-18-2002, 05:29 AM
Just received the news in Australia and the price has gone from $649 (US$349) to $399 (US$215). Rather Unbelievable. The Gamecube will be $399 at launch and the PS2 is currently $499 for comparison......

HybridMATRiX

Halo of Flies
04-18-2002, 05:53 AM
So what games is everyone gonna pick? I know they're looking to add more options but at the moment I'd go for Project Gotham and Oddworld.

dave_m123
04-18-2002, 06:28 AM
possibly oddworld

not sure on the other i hope they add some 3rd party games to the list.

stilly
04-18-2002, 07:01 AM
i'd love two games, although i don't want another pad, cos i've already got 2 offical ones and a ropey 3rd,(and i only use the two) but i'd love a scart lead, wonder if i could trade the pad in at eb and get another game, or wedge towards one, plus if ya form ain't gotta be in before 1st of july, the longer ya leave it, will the list of games get bigger!!, lets hope so, cos nothing from the list leaps out at me, cept maybe the ralli one. i'm really glad microsoft are doing this, cos i would have felt very cheated otherwise, and just hope this don't mean the begining off the end for my beloved xbox.:rolleyes:

Halo of Flies
04-18-2002, 07:21 AM
Yeah, respect should go out to Microsoft for giving out these freebies to keep us sweet. A lot of companies slash prices without warning and give no kind of reimbursment.

So, to Microsoft, thanks a lot - I'm gonna have a big grin for the whole day.

WATCH OUT PS2 - WE'RE GONNA START CATCHING UP NOW!!

UnitedKingdom
04-18-2002, 07:30 AM
If your not sure which free games you want, your better off renting a few from blockbuster first. It may cost a few quid but it will ensure you make the right choice when you get your free stuff.:cool: :cool: :cool:

Halo of Flies
04-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Halo - bought it on release just like everyone else
Rallisport - rented it, fantastic graphics but handling is too much like V-Rally for me
Project Gotham - I loved MSR so this is on my short list
Amped - rented it, hated control system
Oddworld - I know it's not supposed to be great but it looks interesting
DOA3 - I bought DOA2 for DC and got bored within 1/2 hour
Bloodwake - crap
Fusion Frenzy - crap

UnitedKingdom
04-18-2002, 09:23 AM
Does anyone know of plans to cut the price in Asia or the USA?

E-Vader
04-20-2002, 04:25 AM
I just filled out the form for the Aussie freebies and am getting Amped and DOA3 plus the controller. (Shame only the release titles are aviliable to pick from but I'm still happy).

Microsoft doing this shows how dedicated it is to its customers.

:D :D :D

Rancey
04-20-2002, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by E-Vader
I just filled out the form for the Aussie freebies and am getting Amped and DOA3 plus the controller. (Shame only the release titles are aviliable to pick from but I'm still happy).

Microsoft doing this shows how dedicated it is to its customers.

:D :D :D

Actually there is Azurik and Nightcaster, but quite honestly I don't want any of the first party games I don't have...well maybe Fuzion Frenzy :)

PROUDXBOXOWNER
04-20-2002, 12:32 PM
will usa customers get any thing?