PDA

View Full Version : Game info: Terminator: Dawn of Fate with images

DaDude
04-18-2002, 12:23 PM
Terminator: Dawn of Fate
Rage against the machines in this action-packed shooter.

Game Stats
Game Type: Action
Developer: Paradigm Entertainment
Publisher: Infogrames
Release Date: Q3 2002

Full Game Information

All Screenshots... Back in 1984 when Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop and Indiana Jones and Temple of Doom were tops at the box office, The Terminator entered theatres and the American psyche. It posed a splendiferous, "what if." What if humans create a computer network that turns on us? What if one man leads the human resistance and finally defeats the machines, but the machines send a cyborg back in time to kill his mother before the man is even born?

Then in 1991, cutting edge special effects and Arnold Schwarzenegger sent us all rushing to theaters to see Terminator 2: Judgment Day, making it the top-grossing movie of the year. Next year (2003), Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is expected for its theatrical release. Until then, Terminator: Dawn of Fate from Infogrames is all Terminator fans have.

John Connor is still hated by the machines. Well, it's not clearly evident that machines can actually hate, but I swear their titanium noses crinkle just a little when his name is mentioned. The copy of Dawn of Fate I received is a pre-alpha build (read: partly functional), showcasing Justin Perry, the most trusted Captain of John Connor. The three functional missions (10 in all) I played through highlighted some of the game's effects and mechanics, which all look very promising.

As expected in a shooter title, players have a health and armor meter. There's also an adrenaline meter and the development team has hinted at a motion advertisement
blur special effect when the character is thrust into adrenaline mode. At certain times throughout the game, a non-playing character will buddy-up. In those cases, his health meter joins the HUD while he is in the player's possession.

Dawn of Fate is a mission-based game. Each undertaking is detailed with a task list with multiple objectives listed. In a pause menu, when highlighted, each objective will have a complete description of what needs to be accomplished. As tasks are completed, objectives are marked off.

Objectives or not, the thrust of this game is action and cutting down machines. Players have the ability to lock on to the nearest enemy machine and strafe while never letting go of the fire button. For pure gaming adrenaline junkies it's great to have the game hold the character as a target and be able to swing around or back up if multiple machines are in pursuit. And, once one machine is reduced to scrap metal, the game will auto-lock on the next foe! Awesome.

Dawn of Fate is played in third-person mode. However, there is a first-person aiming view. When engaged, a crosshair becomes part of the HUD and weapons can be fired in a more precise way. The left analog stick, which ordinarily controls movement, allows the first-person view to be aimed left/right or up/down. When I first realized there was toggle between first- and third-person I hoped the game could be played with either view. Driving games allow it, but it doesn't appear the DoF development team will take that route.

Characters can also engage in hand-to-hand combat, useful when munitions run out of bullets. This type of combat can also be helpful in taking down a machine. The attack button will cause the player's character to swing a plasma baton; however, firing several rounds into a machine's metal belly and following it up with a smack to the kisser makes it more personal.

There's also an attack which does no damage when inflicted. Confused? Characters can execute a sweep kick which takes the enemy's feet out from under him. Stunned for a few seconds, this offers opportunity to retreat, get off several more rounds, or move in for a finishing blow with the baton.

Despite the game being in pre-alpha stages I was impressed with the AI of the non-player character I encountered at the onset of one of the two playable stages. After a conversation with him (pretty good voice acting included) I figure it was time for him to pay the piper. Since he was not an enemy, I could not lock on and send a stream of lead his way. So I slowly traced my fire along the wall to him, and he ducked, avoiding my line of fire. Kudos!

I feared this game was shaping up to be a generic shooter, but as I mentioned before, it has much promise. Gunning down machines who come after you in a slow and meticulous manner can be fun. And, with the additional hand-to-hand combat moves, gamers can do more than hold down the shoot button and pelt enemy territory with bullets.

Interestingly, a Dawn of Fate PS2 version is also in the works. Hopefully this will not hinder the development of the Xbox version as the developers cater to the PS2 hardware and neglect touching up its Xbox counterpart. If Infogrames harnesses the power of the Xbox, making it stand above the PS2 version, bravo. If not, the PS2-quality graphics could hinder this version if it's released strictly as a port.

thankx to planetx (http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/)

http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/3.jpg
http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/4.jpg
http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/5.jpg
http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/7.jpg
http://www.planetxbox.com/features/previews/2002/terminator/6.jpg

-------------------------------
if you build it, they'll play

l Maximus l
04-18-2002, 12:43 PM
This game looks okay...but, I am a huge fan of FPSs, however, I passed on 007. Unless this game becomes more impressive, I will probably pass on this one and concentrate on Unreal Championship, Brute Force, Breed, Kreed (I hope this comes!!!), and DOOM III to satisfy my FPS needs :)

Hugh_Jass
04-18-2002, 09:08 PM
Thumbs WAAAAAY down.