PDA

View Full Version : Totaled!!

DZNUTZ
04-18-2002, 03:10 PM
Come on now, you know you’ve always wanted to do it. Sit yourself behind the wheel of some souped up classic work of automotive labor and proceed to reduce it to a burning husk. Totaled, developed by Majesco, harkens back to classic car combat games like Demolition Derby on the PS1. Yet Totaled takes the concept of destroying vehicles to the X level! So what’s so special about a car combat game that doesn’t let you mount a missile launcher on your hood, keep reading.

The Game. You can tell XBOX is an American console by the sheer number of car games currently available for the system. In Totaled you’ll clamber into one of three categories of classic vehicles, muscle, classic, or roadster. Then you will proceed to smash it into spare parts on 8 crazy tracks and four arenas. Customize your vehicle with paintjobs, rims, and new engines to give better fit your car to your gaming style. Compete in a multitude of different game modes: Demolition Derby, Survivor, Circuit Race, Stunt Challenge, and even Bus Jump. Where the only similarity between game modes is that fenders are always going to fly, sometimes with the car still attached! Compete in cup tournaments to unlock more cars and tracks or go head to head in four-way split screen.

The Control. Its car combat so you should know the basics. Drive your vehicles into the other vehicles to um total them and rack up points. Where Totaled excels in is that the games damage system will affect your cars performance. Have a tire blown out and it’ll feel like you’re driving with a flat, or get in a head on collision and your engine my stall periodically. Still not sure as to how good the driving physics are; which is a crucial aspect of any car combat game. You’ll also have to drive, er, fight on different surfaces such as mud, ice, and tarmac.

The Look. You won’t find licensed vehicles here, and while the cars don’t have dealership logos on them they do look pretty good. Vehicles run around the area of 10,000 polygons, low for next generation cars; but keep in mind that you won’t be driving them for any extended amount of time. Totaled’s biggest eye grabber is the amazing collateral damage your car will take. This game has a lot more than just a broken taillight or a bent polymer panel. I’m talking the kind of, muffler dragging, crumpled fender, door hanging off its hinges kind of damage that you’d expect to see in a game that does nothing but crush vehicles. The arenas, while varied, ranging from an ice skating rink to a football field do appear a little on the plain side. Still, Majesco has time to add all the XBOX touches were used to seeing. Smoke and explosions when the cars go up is nice, but if smashing is the only real way to kill than those explosions had better be big.

The Sound. So far the music is tolerable but doesn’t really add or subtract from the gaming experience, an announcer calls out the stunts and explosions as they go up or off, on extended sessions he might get annoying though. The cars sound authentically powerful and the roaring engines really bring the machines to life, the crashes need a little work thought. I for one really want to here that metal SCREEEECH!

The Outlook. All in all Totaled looks to provide a fun experience for fans of racing, stunt, and battle games alike. The only possible snag would be the physics engine; as long as Majesco nails the laws of gravity these cars are going to make XBOX gamers very happy this June. Totaled is about good old fashion vehicular carnage in all its applicable forms, fans of car games and multiplayer madness should definitely keep an eye shifted toward Totaled as it nears release!

XBOX365 Says
Totaled lets you get in the car and drive like you always wanted - without having to face up to the consequences. We'll do a full review upon release!

pic link below

http://www.xbox365.com/news/zcomment.cgi?article=EpEllkZAulgDDKzWAl

faceoff508
04-18-2002, 03:15 PM
A worthy rental:)

Hugh_Jass
04-18-2002, 09:22 PM
I'll be buying this title for sure.

GokuX
04-19-2002, 05:30 AM
I'll scribble this one on the rental list as well.

UnitedKingdom
04-19-2002, 05:36 AM
This sounds good, just hope its not a dissapointment like wreckless.

Spaztic
04-19-2002, 10:13 AM
this game looks like it is a setup for dissappointment. Definatly going to rent this game first!.........8 tracks?! sounds like it is beatable within a few hours!

Ninja Scroll
04-19-2002, 02:11 PM
Im not a fan of racers but this games sounds interesting.
I'll keep this in mind............

What was I saying?:confused: :eek: :confused:

Xtopia
04-19-2002, 02:13 PM
Rental at best.

l Maximus l
04-19-2002, 02:25 PM
Not sure, but, I most likely won't buy it because of other sweet games that are coming out. It might be worth checking out first at the rental store.