PDA

View Full Version : ""look"" xbox modchip coming

clownbow
04-20-2002, 12:25 AM
Friday, April 19, 2002

XboxMods - Clarification - SiliconIce @ 17:09 CST
On their page:

OK let's clear up a few things

We want to make it very clear that this development enables the playback of IMPORT ORIGINALS ONLY. It in no way enables to play any kind of illegal copies. We have no wish to venture into this area so please do not ask.

There is no modchip at present. The instructions on which area of the flash rom to patch were given to us by an overseas enthusiast who simply wanted to see if his ideas were correct. We implemented his ideas and they worked. Test machine was a USA console playing Max Payne PAL, and a PAL console playing HALO NTSC.

We will investigate the legality of this modification. If there is a legitimate purpose then we will of course proceed with designing a "DIY" mod where you can install for yourselves with just a few wires. If our lawyer advises that it is indeed illegal then we will not proceed any further.

Our view is that there are thousands of Europeans who invested a lot of their hard earned money to purchase an XBOX from the USA when it was first released. Members of our staff were among these excited gamers who wanted to get their hands on the machine. Now the XBOX is available in Europe is it fair to say that they would have the right to buy games from their local store as opposed to paying expensive import prices or having to sell their console at a loss and buy a new one ?

Either way we see this as an exciting development for both Gamers and Microsoft alike. I'm sure it would increase their sales for both games and consoles, and along the way making the lives of their customers that much easier.

So for now there is nothing for sale, no news on a DIY mod and certainley no information on any kind of pirate chip that people have been discussing.

I hope this clarifies everything for you.

This seems like good info to me. It fits with what I know from others who have been working independently.

Source: XboxMods

darianX
04-20-2002, 01:29 AM
Rest assured...whether their lawyers find it legal or not...Microsoft won't sit and let it slide. You can bet the bank on that one. They want the Xbox to succeed, and you can bet they studied the demise of the Dreamcast thoroughly. Modchips and piracy were 2 large factors in the death of the DC.

After 5 months, no one has been able to mess with the hard drive and it appears this is the first alteration to a ROM. I believe MS locked that black box tight to keep the "tinkerers" to a minimum. These folks think they're doing a favor to the consumers who bought an Xbox. WRONG! What they're doing is showing people how to void the warranty on the box and probably turn it into a large, useless paperweight in the process. Modchips might allow you to play games from other regions but the REAL motive behind them is the playback of pirated discs.

Remember - games sales=long Xbox life. Developers will not waste time making a game if it doesn't sell. No games=death of Xbox. Oh...BTW...the people most interested in modchips for the Xbox is the Linux crowd. Oh yes - they are hellbent on getting Linux installed on that hard drive so they can "stick it to Bill". They hate everything Microsoft and already have declared the Xbox dead - but yet they want chips badly. I say let's nuke Slashdot out of existance :cool:

Dre
04-20-2002, 01:31 AM
""look"" clownbow, the exact same info 5 threads down!

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11532

Try to check at least the main page for threads... keeps it uncluttered you know?

Cheers,
Dre

clownbow
04-20-2002, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by darianX
Rest assured...whether their lawyers find it legal or not...Microsoft won't sit and let it slide. You can bet the bank on that one. They want the Xbox to succeed, and you can bet they studied the demise of the Dreamcast thoroughly. Modchips and piracy were 2 large factors in the death of the DC.

After 5 months, no one has been able to mess with the hard drive and it appears this is the first alteration to a ROM. I believe MS locked that black box tight to keep the "tinkerers" to a minimum. These folks think they're doing a favor to the consumers who bought an Xbox. WRONG! What they're doing is showing people how to void the warranty on the box and probably turn it into a large, useless paperweight in the process. Modchips might allow you to play games from other regions but the REAL motive behind them is the playback of pirated discs.

Remember - games sales=long Xbox life. Developers will not waste time making a game if it doesn't sell. No games=death of Xbox. Oh...BTW...the people most interested in modchips for the Xbox is the Linux crowd. Oh yes - they are hellbent on getting Linux installed on that hard drive so they can "stick it to Bill". They hate everything Microsoft and already have declared the Xbox dead - but yet they want chips badly. I say let's nuke Slashdot out of existance :cool:

I diagree,i have a ntsc xbox and i live in australia.and i want a mod chip so i can play australian games as well.and multi region dvd's

Wu3000
04-20-2002, 02:25 AM
does anyone really "back up" games? i have never met anyone pirate a game for a back up.

jus wondering
wu

DIGITAL
04-20-2002, 02:25 AM
bootleggers suck

clownbow
04-20-2002, 02:32 AM
the mod chip is for import games not backups or pirate software...

E-Xbox
04-20-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Dre
""look"" clownbow, the exact same info 5 threads down!

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11532

Try to check at least the main page for threads... keeps it uncluttered you know?

Cheers,
Dre
thats exactly what i was gonna say...
this is like the 3rd thread on this..
i posted it first..then someone else...now u...
stop reposting..

peace