PDA

View Full Version : I need your ideas and thoughts...

khaos2005
04-20-2002, 05:56 PM
I have recently begun the planning stages of an RPG I am thinking of creating. This would be my first major game. I have done Tetris, Pong, and some text based things, and it is time for me to be moving on up.

I'd like to create a 3D first person RPG. If I think this won't be very possible, I will "degrade" to a tile based RPG, you know, like the good old days. I'm only 15, so my good old days don't go back very far, but I do remember my SNES and NES games well enough. ;)

I didn't really want this to be a very linear game, however, maybe if I see otherwise (in the poll results), I might consider it. The sound of a free roaming RPG like Morrowind puts me on the edge of my seat. I've played Final Fantasy, and I do like it. But I think I'd rather have more freedom. A game should be the opposite of real life, in some respects. In my opinion, I spend too much time being restricted by laws and ethics in real life, to want to be further restricted in a game. And no, that doesn't mean I think about doing "game-like" things in real life, I'm not at all like that. You know what I mean. :D

So, I guess what I am asking is the following:

What makes the perfect RPG?

Your opinions, ideas, thoughts, and reasons why would be appreciated. It would give me a better idea of what other people like, and look for in an RPG. Thanks!

Snoopy7548
04-20-2002, 06:01 PM
u created tetris and pong/

khaos2005
04-20-2002, 06:01 PM
And I forgot the poll. It figures. Basically, it was going to ask you to pick an answer to this question:

Which to you like best... linear RPGs, or free roaming RPGs?

khaos2005
04-20-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
u created tetris and pong/

Yes, many people I talked to when I first started game programming as a hobbie told me to start with Tetris and Pong clones. They are easy enough, but not too easy. Pacman was another one I should have done somewhere in the middle, but I lost interest in simple clones, and I feel I want to be challenged by something harder. Now the main design question I have to answer soon is if I am going to attempt 3D, or just go with some isometric tile game.

Tetris and Pong are good to teach simple graphics, game loops, and AI. Text based RPGs are always nice to learn program flow and simple script parsing.

Snoopy7548
04-20-2002, 06:08 PM
ohh, clones, i thought u were like the original programmer of tetris and pong, lol, im so stupid:D

Snoopy7548
04-20-2002, 06:09 PM
i dont really like rpgs, i actually kinda hate them, they take pretty much no skill and are boring, i can never get into them

faceoff508
04-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Well I like free roaming rPG, just like Project ego, where you age over time, get scars when hurt. Get stronger if you wield a large sowrd. I like those kind of RPGs

khaos2005
04-20-2002, 06:28 PM
The creator of Pong and Tetris? Haha, no. I wish, though.

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
i dont really like rpgs, i actually kinda hate them, they take pretty much no skill and are boring, i can never get into them

To tell you the truth, I know exactly what you mean. In fact, up until last summer sometime, I didn't like them much either. I had played Zelda and FF on the old Nintendo, but didn't really remember it. Then I heard about Morrowind, and FFX. I played FFX, and liked it somewhat. I experimented with a few RPGs since then, and have grown to like them.

Then, a month or two ago, I changed my mind. I was originally going to create an RTS, like C&C. But I thought about it and decided to try and RPG, and I'm not too sure why. After all, FPSs and RTSs are my favorite genre of games. But I'm going out on a limb, trying to do something different.

Snoopy7548
04-20-2002, 06:35 PM
cool, the only rpg i liked was secret of mana, and actually, thats my favorite game of all time, lol:D

khaos2005
04-20-2002, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. Anyone have any detailed thoughts as to what they like in an RPG.

Such as:

Setting
Free roam or linear styles
What they like in a battle system
etc.

Thanks guys. :)