PDA

View Full Version : Morrowind, your opinions please

Dre
04-21-2002, 03:33 PM
I would like to introduce the character I intend to play in Morrowind. I used Juxtors character planner, which if you haven't gotten yet, I suggest you do.. its very useful.. I don't remember the link but if you can't find it (try a www.google.com search for it), pm me and I can email it to you.

Name: Calaldum
Race: Breton
Birthsign: The Mage

Class: Wizard

Major Skills:
Destruction
Illusion
Conjuration
Unarmored
Speechcraft

Minor Skills:
Enchant
Alteration
Restoration
Alchemy
Blunt Weapon

Class Description:
A mighty wizard who uses force only as a last resort. ----

Anyhoo, with that out of the way I would like to ask a question. It seems that the Helvanni House is the place to be if you're an evil wizard with a plan for world domination. However, where do the good wizards go? Is it possible for me to join this house and grow powerful enough to change their ways? That would be really neat.

Or, maybe I have to join house Redoran where honesty and loyalty are key? My main goal in the game is to rid the world of evil wizards and bring back the peoples trust to the wise old wizards. What do you suggest? From the inside, where I can probably learn much in the way of wizards but may have to do things against my beliefs, or Redoran and learn things by myself? I'm wondering, since quests often come from people in your house, if I will be at a loss not choosing the Helvanni since quest rewards from this house must surely be related to magic in some way or another. Only time will tell I guess, but I would enjoy your opinions.

I can't wait for this game! hehehe, anyways, I believe this is beginning, and most likely passed, that which qualifies as a long post.

Thanks,
Dre

BTW, if you visit the morrowind forums, you may find me there as Calaldum.

khaos2005
04-21-2002, 03:57 PM
Hey man, nice character. I had been planning out mine in Notepad based on the info I get at the Morrowind site. Nice job posting about character planners, it's a lot easier. I couldn't find Juxtors, but I found an online one here (http://www.freewebz.com/zyirah/) and it seems to be okay, for my purposes. If anyone knows any other links of other character planners, please post them.

I'll post my character in a few...

khaos2005
04-21-2002, 04:02 PM
Awesome, I found two more for anyone interested. I didn't try these out yet though...

MCP1 (http://lwb.org/vault/public/MWCHARS.html)
MCP2 (http://www.angelfire.com/wizard/morrowind/)

Dre
04-21-2002, 04:19 PM
Ok, I went and found the link for Juxtor's.. its pretty well laid out, really pretty to look at. A few bugs, but this is his first release.

http://www.geocities.com/juxtor/Designer.html

Also, I've read that if you aren't using Win XP you might have problems with COMDLG32.ocx or something.. you just have to go to http://www.uforesources.com/dll123/dlldownload.html and scroll down till you get to the comdlg download and you're set!

khaos2005
04-21-2002, 04:23 PM
Name : Oliver
Class : Master of deception, stealth, and agility.
Race : Khajiit
Birthsign : Shadow

Primary Skills:
- Acrobatics (STR)
- Light Armor (AGI)
- Marksman (AGI)
- Security (INT)
- Sneak (AGI)
Secondary Skills:
- Athletics (SPD)
- Block (AGI)
- Illusion (PER)
- Alteration (WIL)
- Short Blade (SPD)

Let's get others to post what they are going to be. It's a lot easier than using Notepad, like I was, because it explains what everything is and how it works (in the first site I posted anyways). So people, post who you are going to be...

Dre
04-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Your character sounds really cool too! Cool website by the way, does the same thing mine did but without the need to install anything.

Calve
04-22-2002, 05:34 PM
Hey

what should i name my character???

I want something that fits the mood of Morrowind......Any ideas???

Peace

Dre
04-22-2002, 05:41 PM
What kind of race or character where you planning on making?

I found this site which is pretty cool.. it should help you out:

http://spitfire.ausys.se/johan/names/default.htm

Calve
04-22-2002, 06:41 PM
i donno man!!!

i dont know much about characters im trying to learn more!!!

what should i be?

Dre
04-22-2002, 06:58 PM
Well, if you really want to have fun.. I suggest you play whatever you would have wanted to be if you lived in that era/world. For me, it would have been wizard, hence my character Calaldum.

A couple of suggestions for you would be:
-thief
-good wizard (thats my character)
-evil sorcerer/sorceress
-elf like Legolas from Lord of the Rings (really good with bow)
-rogue mage: dark elf that uses magic to pick locks, etc.
-dumb warrior type thats strong as an ox
-Noble hero, knight in shining armor type

Basically.. many many combos!!! Whats cool, is that if you can't make up your mind, you can use one of the options to create your character that asks you questions. Depending on your answer, a character is created for you.

As far as names go.. I'd seriously invent one basing myself on other names from the webpage I gave earlier. Thats what I did! I didn't want to be stuck the day I got the game trying to think of name for my character! Because we all know.. your name is a VERY important part in RPG's :D

preetz16
04-22-2002, 08:09 PM
Here's mine. I didn't know what to put for the class feild though so I left it blank.

Name: Tyndir or Gavin (haven't decided yet, what do you all think?)
Race: Dark Elf
Birth: The Shadow

Major: (INT) Enchant
Major: (WIL) Alteration
Major: (PER) Speechcraft
Major: (STR) Long Blade
Major: (END) Medium Armor

Minor: (INT) Conjuration
Minor: (AGI) Block
Minor: (STR) Acrobatics
Minor: (INT) Security
Minor: (SPD) Athletics

AirickJ
04-22-2002, 08:49 PM
TESIII: Morrowind
Custom Character

Name: Dont know yet
Race: Redguard
Birthsign: The Shadow

Class: Theif/Adventurer

Major Skills:
Alteration
Illusion
Security
Sneak
Acrobatics

Minor Skills:
Athletics
Hand-to-hand
Marksman
Light Armor
Short Blade

Class Description: A lone courageous adventurer with a taste for rare artifacts, loves to steal from rich greedy oppresive people in a robin hood like fashion

Dre
04-22-2002, 09:09 PM
Cool characters you guys..

Preetz, I think I like Tyndir more.. it just sounds really elfish ya know?

jschelm
04-22-2002, 09:26 PM
here is my current idea for a character. He is going to be very powerful at magic, but a hit or two from anyone will probably do him in.

Name : Scimitar
Class : Sorcerer
Race : Breton

Primary Skills:
- Conjuration (INT)
- Unarmored (SPD)
- Destruction (WIL)
- Marksman (AGI)
- Sneak (AGI)
Secondary Skills:
- Mysticism (WIL)
- Alchemy (INT)
- Alteration (WIL)
- Short Blade (SPD)
- Illusion (PER)

preetz16
04-22-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Cool characters you guys..

Preetz, I think I like Tyndir more.. it just sounds really elfish ya know?

Yeah I was leaning more twords that too. Thanks for the input!

preetz16
04-22-2002, 10:26 PM
So what is everyone doing to try to pass the time untill this game comes out. I've read all the developer Q&As about 3 times, crearted a charachter, and downloaded all the screens i can find. I think it's like 23 days until it comes out! It already seems like it's been an eternity!

jschelm
04-22-2002, 10:41 PM
I am counting the days until graduation and studying, hoping that I actually do get to graduate :)

25 days 12 hours and 18 minutes to go!
(at the time of this posting)

Dre
04-23-2002, 01:45 AM
I have exams till the 30th.. after that I've got a week off and then I start my coop term.

If any of you are interested, this is where I'll be working www.meriton.com. I will be working in the embedded software division writing actual embedded code for the product. I worked there for my last coop term, but only wrote tools to help all the developers in their software environment.

Its a really cool company.. free pop, snacks always.. there's a beer keg for fridays @ 4h30, nhl tickets, cfl tickets, etc. Its awesome!

khaos2005
04-23-2002, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by Dre
I have exams till the 30th.. after that I've got a week off and then I start my coop term.

If any of you are interested, this is where I'll be working www.meriton.com. I will be working in the embedded software division writing actual embedded code for the product. I worked there for my last coop term, but only wrote tools to help all the developers in their software environment.

Its a really cool company.. free pop, snacks always.. there's a beer keg for fridays @ 4h30, nhl tickets, cfl tickets, etc. Its awesome!

That's awesome! I am a programmer myself. I am only 15, so for right now I make computer games and small PC apps. I'd like to go pro someday. Embedded systems programming is a big interest to me though, seriously.

Calve
04-23-2002, 07:15 PM
Check these out!!

Name: Zandilipher

Major Skills:
Destruction
Alteration
Mysticism
Conjuration
Alchemy

Minor Skills:
Alchemy
Enchant
Athletics
Axe
Mercantile
Speechcraft

OR

Name: Theodus
Birthsign: The Tower

Class: Hero

Major Skills:
Long Blade
Marksman
Heavy Armor
Restoration
Alchemy

Minor Skills:
Alchemy
Enchant
Mercantile
Block
Armorer
Athletics

OR

Name: Enderind
Race: Wood Elf

Class: Archer

Major Skills:
Marksman
Medium Armor
Long Blade
Enchant
Destruction

Minor Skills:
Destruction
Athletics
Armorer
Security
Restoration
Alteration

Calve
04-23-2002, 07:16 PM
Check these out!!

Name: Zandilipher

Major Skills:
Destruction
Alteration
Mysticism
Conjuration
Alchemy

Minor Skills:
Alchemy
Enchant
Athletics
Axe
Mercantile
Speechcraft

OR

Name: Theodus

Class: Hero

Major Skills:
Long Blade
Marksman
Heavy Armor
Restoration
Alchemy

Minor Skills:
Alchemy
Enchant
Mercantile
Block
Armorer
Athletics

OR

Name: Enderind

Major Skills:
Marksman
Medium Armor
Long Blade
Enchant
Destruction

Minor Skills:
Destruction
Athletics
Armorer
Security
Restoration
Alteration

what dou suggest?!!?!??!?!?!?!?

I cant decide :confused: :confused:

Peace:eek: :confused: :( :mad: :confused:

Calve
04-23-2002, 07:17 PM
sorry bout the double post my comp is screwed
peace

Dre
04-23-2002, 07:29 PM
I like your last one.. sounds like a cool archer! If I may suggest something.. I might change armorer for sneak. Why? Well.. this is just the way I would play him.. since he's using a bow, its effectiveness will not decrease as fast as a sword (if it does decrease at all). You shouldn't need to repair armor that often either since you'll be sniping people from a distance! But you know.. sneak is just my opinion.. imagine this:

The elf archer Enderind is travelling down a dirt road when he hears voices coming from up ahead.. you quickly jump into the forest and because of your sneak skill you remain undetected. You see a band of Orcs marching.. as a sworn enemy to the Orcs you take an arrow from your quiver, pull back on your bow and sshhhhhhhpow you get one right in the throat. The Orcs still can't see you because of your sneak skill but now they're on the lookout.. quickly you take another arrow and another as Orcs start to lie all over the dirt road.

Man, I can't wait for this game! The cool thing about the above scenario is that its possible in this game, I forget where, but some website had a preview where the guy told about a scenario similar to the one above!

frog11983
04-23-2002, 11:22 PM
Name : Alderon
Race : Dark Elf
Birthsign : Tower

Primary Skills:
- Long Blade (STR)
- Alteration (WIL)
- Illusion (PER)
- Marksman (AGI)
- Athletics (SPD)
Secondary Skills:
- Destruction (WIL)
- Conjuration (INT)
- Medium Armor (END)
- Speechcraft (PER)
- Mysticism (WIL)

What do you guys think? I had a previous character made, but I lost it somehow, this is my newest one, and the one I believe I will use. I was thinking about using Rivers Coumo for the name, but it just didn't fit the Dark Elf profile, lol. Man I can't wait for this game!

Dre
04-23-2002, 11:26 PM
That character looks pretty cool Frog! So, how are you going to play him? Evil, good, back-stabbing??

frog11983
04-23-2002, 11:31 PM
Well, see, I think that for the most part I will be good, but I think I will probably fall to my temptation to slaughter NPCs at will any time I please. I was thinking I might have two games going at once, one where I am goody-two-shoes, and one where I do anything and everything I want, but I have a feeling I will be spending most of my time in the game where I am evil :D But I guess I will find out when I get the game... ahh the torture of time!

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 12:19 AM
This is the selection I have made. I tried to keep my skill tree locked on as few character stats as possible. That way I'll evolve much fater everytime I incease that stat.

Name: Imoen
Birth: The Tower
Class: Theif - Mage
Major: (WIL) Alteration
Major: (PER) Illusion
Major: (INT) Security
Major: (AGI) Marksman
Major: (AGI) Light Armor
Minor: (STR) Acrobatics
Minor: (AGI) Sneak
Minor: (PER) Speechcraft
Minor: (PER) Mercantile
Minor: (SPD) Short Blade

I'm going for the Thief Mage approach. I'll just be using my magic to hide, open doors and get into restricted areas a little easier. Alteration also helps with my physical dmg protection, since I'm a ranged fighter. My firend DRE suggested I take mechantile as a secondary skill so I could make more profit off the items I pickpocket and steal. I won't be much of a hack and slash warrior or a fireworks wizard, but as a thief it's not always good to be seen or heard!!

:) Good luck with your characters.

Pluto

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Just a little heads up for Calve. Your mage Zandilipher sounds like he's going to kick some serious ass will all them spells but you don't have any kind of protection (armor or unarmored). Your character will be very hard to play until you can get good protection magics.

Pluto:)

Calve
04-24-2002, 04:20 PM
ya ill take yer advice and get some armour!!!!!

Peace

PS
Kickass character Pluto:)

Calve
04-24-2002, 06:19 PM
Yo dre waht bout if i keep armorer and make my birth sign the shadow........Is it the same as sneak!?!?

Peace

csoldier
04-24-2002, 06:35 PM
Here are two Characters I used TESIII to make. I haven't really played this type of RPG much (more used to FF series), but can't wait for MW to get here. Let me know what you think, especially if my skills look out of whack.

Name: Isondir
Birthsign: The Shadow

Major Skills:
Marksman
Light Armor
Short Blade
Acrobatics
Athletics

Minor Skills:
Athletics
Enchant
Alteration
Illusion
Sneak
Block

------------------------

Name: Donvan
Birthsign: The Warrior

Class: Swordsman

Major Skills:
Long Blade
Medium Armor
Hand-to-hand
Athletics
Block

Minor Skills:
Block
Conjuration
Restoration
Security
Armorer
Acrobatics

Dre
04-24-2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Calve
Yo dre waht bout if i keep armorer and make my birth sign the shadow........Is it the same as sneak!?!?

Peace

from www.morrowind.com
The Shadow
Those born under the sign of The Shadow can make themselves invisible.

Thats all I know... I wish I knew exactly know how the Birth Sign skills were incorporated with your others. But, I mean it does clearly say that it gives you the ability of becoming invisible.. for how long or how much magicka, etc. I guess we'll have to wait and see. But dude, in the end its all up to you... its an RPG.

Its not like FF where you develop an uber-character to go kill the big bad Sephiroth (I'm not being condescending to the FF series.. I love em), this game is more about actually having a character and playing him the way YOU want too.

So my advice is do whatever you think you'll have the most fun with! But, yes.. this should work :D

Dre
04-24-2002, 07:37 PM
Hi Csoldier.. I really like your archer.. thats probably the way I am going to build mine after my wizard.

As for your warrior, I hope you don't mind me voicing a few suggestions..

I would consider heavy armor as your guy will most likely be in the grit of things every time he fights and you have many speed related skills (athletics, acrobatics...) so your overall speed for walking and moving about should not be too slow.

Anyways, they both look like they will be lots of fun to play, good job!

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by csoldier
Here are two Characters I used TESIII to make. I haven't really played this type of RPG much (more used to FF series), but can't wait for MW to get here. Let me know what you think, especially if my skills look out of whack.

Your fighter will need the extra armor, but I also see you have the skill block twice, once in major, once in minor. My suggestion is replacing the minor one with alteration. This magic class will allow you to cast speed spells and protection spells. Definetly and advantage for a fighter. You should also checkout the info on hand to hand combat. Hand-to-hand attacks damage only the fatigue of a standing opponent, but hand-to-hand attacks damage health when a target has been knocked unconscious by fatigue loss. The rest of your skills seem dead on! I'm sure you'll have a slicing good time with him.

Dre
04-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Actually that double post (major & minor skll) thing is a screwup in the first release of the character builder... when outputting to a text file it does that.. I dunno if Juxtor updated his program to fix that or not, but I know that he's aware of it.

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Sorry about that Csoldier...I didn't notice the program bug. I'm changing my opinion to just upgrading your armor to heavy, the rest looks great!

jschelm
04-24-2002, 11:07 PM
Dre -
Did you happen to catch the char. that I posted? Any suggestions?

Dre
04-24-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by jschelm
here is my current idea for a character. He is going to be very powerful at magic, but a hit or two from anyone will probably do him in.

Name : Scimitar
Class : Sorcerer
Race : Breton

Primary Skills:
- Conjuration (INT)
- Unarmored (SPD)
- Destruction (WIL)
- Marksman (AGI)
- Sneak (AGI)
Secondary Skills:
- Mysticism (WIL)
- Alchemy (INT)
- Alteration (WIL)
- Short Blade (SPD)
- Illusion (PER)

Sorry dude, I'd missed this one :)

Well, at a first look everything looks like it would gel and be a fun character to play!

You will have some powerful magic attacks, marksmanship for bow type weapons, short blade for close encounters.

I might change sneak for enchant though since you will be using weapons as well as magic and this could probably help ya deal out more damage. You'll still have illusion and your birthsign to make you hard to find from enemies. Then maybe I'd switch enchant to a minor skill and Illusion to a major.

Those are all just suggestions for the way I'd play my character of course. You'd be a skilled sniper I think with the way you set things up :D

cheers,
Dre

jschelm
04-24-2002, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the advice....I am still kinda a newb at RPGS (since I haven't played D&D or any other RPG for about 10 years). Soon we will have to start a thread for how everyones characters actually work.

Dre
04-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by jschelm
Thanks for the advice....I am still kinda a newb at RPGS (since I haven't played D&D or any other RPG for about 10 years). Soon we will have to start a thread for how everyones characters actually work.

Ya... I can't wait! Its going to be really interesting to see how everyone thinks there character is the best! Its true though, your own character is always the best to you.. its the way you want to play.. Another cool thing is going to be people posting really cool AI moments in the game. I don't mean story spoilers, I mean stuff such as a fight where you did something cool, or guards chasing after you over a bridge and knocking a women over down into the water! That can happen.. its one of the devs fav moments in this Q&A (http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/den/morrowindqa22.shtml)!! (hmm.. site seems to be down for the moment though...)

The excitement increases with each passing day! I'm so glad its not out yet.. I'd totally fail my exams!! :D

jschelm
04-25-2002, 01:04 AM
I hear you there, a buddy and I both preordered and we were really scared that it would come out right before finals....that would have sucked big time. Now it looks like it is gonna come out in the week between the end of school and the start of work. YEA!!!

Dre
04-25-2002, 01:09 AM
I was hoping it was going to be released on the 30th.. just because thats my last exam.. then I have a week off and start working on the 6th. It really sucks that I'm going to have to call in sick the first week of work.... hehehe.. kiddin.. I'm not that bad.. pretty close though!!

preetz16
04-26-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Dre
this Q&A (http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/den/morrowindqa22.shtml)!! (hmm.. site seems to be down for the moment though...)

Yeah, the site's not down, they reorganized...plus (this comes in at just the right time to these forums it seems) there's a new Q&A up here: Dev Q&A #23 (http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/357/357980p1.html) Enjoy!

Dre
04-27-2002, 11:58 AM
Sweet dude! Thanks!!!

Calve
04-28-2002, 03:56 PM
So in Morrowind you can kill any NPC's???

And when you first start the game do you start with weapons or do i have to luwer somone in to an ally and mug them so i can get a 2 dollars and buy a blade :D????

Peace

frog11983
04-28-2002, 11:37 PM
YES!!! I believe that out of the 3,000 NPCs that exist in Morrowind, there is only one that is plot critical. I am not sure about the weapon thing, but I do think that you can use almost anything as a weapon... someone correct me if I am wrong?
But, I think your fists count as weapons :p

Calve
04-29-2002, 05:20 PM
I learned that you cant kill anyone with your fists so at the start of the game I'll konck someone in an ally out:D !!!! But you said you can use anything as a weapon so can you pick up a rock and bash it on sumthin:p ???

You also mentioned that there are 3000 NPC's in Morrowind........If you kill 3000 people in Morrowind thats all?????

Peace:)

preetz16
04-29-2002, 08:30 PM

You also mentioned that there are 3000 NPC's in Morrowind........If you kill 3000 people in Morrowind thats all?????

Actually, there are over 3,400. And yes you can kill all but one of them ( someone that's like a central charahter in the main quest).

But why would you want to kill them all? :D

jschelm
04-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by preetz16

Actually, there are over 3,400. And yes you can kill all but one of them ( someone that's like a central charahter in the main quest).

But why would you want to kill them all? :D

You can actually kill all of them too, but if you kill the main character a dialog box appears telling you to restore your game becuase you can't kill that specific NPC.

Calve
04-29-2002, 10:21 PM
does the 3400 NPCS include the monsters n stuff in the dungeons

Peace

Bretzky
05-03-2002, 05:45 PM
Betcha can't beat this

:D :D

Name: Tyoryll
Class: Battlemage
Birthsign: The tower

Specialization: Magic
Favorite Attributes(only 2): Intelligence, Strength
Major Skills
-Alteration
-Destruction
-Conjuration
-Axe
-Heavy Armor
Minor Skills
-Mysticism
-Long Blade
-Marksman
-Enchant
-Alchemy

My elf is gonna strive to get both a daedric weapon (axe) and armor. He is gonna kick so much a$$.
Not as much as this game though!
I can't wait, the 16th comes slower, and slower, and slower, and...........

zfBRAT
05-07-2002, 11:35 PM
I'm partial to elves myself :)
http://community-2.webtv.net/CATSPAWELV/friends8/

JJaX
05-08-2002, 10:48 AM
I learned that you cant kill anyone with your fists so at the start of the game I'll konck someone in an ally out:D !!!! But you said you can use anything as a weapon so can you pick up a rock and bash it on sumthin:p ???

When you use fist you dont really kill them. But once there knocked out and you continue to hit them they will be damaged and die.

Liquid Gears
05-08-2002, 12:51 PM
RPG's Suck!!:mad:

frog11983
05-08-2002, 01:23 PM
Liquid Gears, you just wasted a second of my life, congratulations.

jschelm
05-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
RPG's Suck!!:mad:

Thanks for your opinion, but I think you are in the wrong forum.

zfBRAT
05-09-2002, 02:32 AM
Why would someone post on an rpg site that they don't like rpgs?http://i.disney.go.com/disneygo/disneychannel/playhouse/rpo/images/icons/i_olie_wave.gif

Radar
05-09-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by zfBRAT
Why would someone post on an rpg site that they don't like rpgs?http://i.disney.go.com/disneygo/disneychannel/playhouse/rpo/images/icons/i_olie_wave.gif

He must hate them so much that he wants to find people who like RPG's to try to sway them over to his thinking with such insightful and persuasive comments such as "RPG's suck" in the faint hope to eliminate the genre all together from the face of the Earth!!!!!!

His nefarious and ill conceived plan will fail miserably however! Muhahahaha

zfBRAT
05-09-2002, 02:57 PM
Amen to that (Y) Hehehe!

Dre
05-09-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Radar

He must hate them so much that he wants to find people who like RPG's to try to sway them over to his thinking with such insightful and persuasive comments such as "RPG's suck" in the faint hope to eliminate the genre all together from the face of the Earth!!!!!!

His nefarious and ill conceived plan will fail miserably however! Muhahahaha

hehehe.. well put!