PDA

View Full Version : Official TES III: Morrowind Thread

Dre
04-21-2002, 09:11 PM
Well, I figure that since this game is gonna be huge, lots of people will have questions. What better place than in the XBA community to get answers.

I've compiled all the info I could find that I wanted to know when I first started out, hopefully it will answer most questions of fellow Morrowind travellers. However, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask away and I or any of my fellow companions might be of assistance. Instead of cutting and pasting, often I will just refer you to a website containing information on that subject.

With that, here's the info:

Morrowind is a small region in the Empire of Tamriel:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/map/map01.gif
Map of Tamriel

The island in Morrowind is called Vvardenfell, it is the home of the Dunmer (dark elves).

When you initially set out on your quest, you must chose one of 10 races:

Click here for a description of the races in Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/races_orc.htm)

You also get to chose the gender of your character: male or female. This decision impacts your characters abilities as female and male will have different attributes/skills.

Now, you can go about creating your character in 3 ways:
1) Chose one of 21 pre-designed classes
2) Answer thematic questions
3) Assign everything yourself.

If you chose option 3, there are skills to be chosen! First off, there are 5 major, 5 minor and whatever else miscellaneous skills. Your skills power (or level or whatever you wish to call them) increases as you use them. Major skills level faster then Minor skills. Minor skills level faster than miscellaneous skills. Skills include such things as: magic, combat and stealth.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/skills/magic/mw_magicskillsfront.gif
Click here for a description of the magic skills in Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_magicskills.htm)

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/skills/stealth/mw_stealthskillsfront.gif
Click here for a description of the stealth skills in Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_stealthskills.htm)

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/skills/combat/mw_combatskillsfront.gif
Click here for a description of the combat skills in Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_combatskills.htm)

Wow.. now thats alot of info.. especially for the beginning.. oh ya. One more thing your character has at the beginning is a birthsign. This is a one-time deal kind of stat. It adds specific stats to your character such as increased magicka, or the ability to heal yourself faster.

http://www.elderscrolls.com/images/skills/birthsigns/birthsigns_front.gif
Click here for a description of the birthsigns in Morrowind (http://www.elderscrolls.com/codex/codex_birthsigns.htm)

If you think that was alot to take into account, here's a site (http://www.freewebz.com/zyirah/) that does a pretty good job of helping you plan a character.

Okay, now with all that out of the way, there are other aspects of Morrowind that you must take into consideration during your travels. One of those being the three Great Houses in Morrowind. You join one of three houses, this like everything else in Morrowind is not obligatory though, either the Helvanni house, the Redoran house or the Hlaalu house. Each house is different and depending which house you are in certain NPC's will be friendlier or meaner towards you. You will obviously start low in rank in your house, but as you grow more powerful and do quests for others, etc. you will be promoted.

House Helvanni: They are isolationists, and for the most part, mysterious and even inscrutable. Their houses stand out from the rest of the islands structures, in that they are actually grown rather than constructed. It is said if you grow powerful enough in this house you will have the ability to grow your own wizard tower.

House Hlaalu: their house is closely associated with a mix of theives and merchants and those out looking for profit as opposed to glory or knowlege.

House Redoran: This is the house of the honorable fighters. Honor and loyalty are the governing factors of this house.

There is much more than this to the houses, however, you'll find most information in game I'm told. Of note, is that although you may join only one of the three houses, you are free to join as many of the lesser guilds present in Morrowind.

Vampirism is present in Morrowind. Should you be so unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it!) to be bitten, you will not be able to walk in sunlight without taking a serious and continuous hit to your health. NPC's will also be afraid of you and stop talking to you. This makes it very hard to complete the main quest of the game. Only a few NPC's will still talk to you as a Vampire and its up to you to find them. They may have a special quest or 2 waiting for you. Be warned though, there are still Vampire Hunter's roaming the lands of Morrowind. As a vampire you are introduced to a whole new realm. 3 vampire clans exist in Morrowind:

Excerpt from Q&A session with developer Mark Nelson

The Quarra vampires are strong and barbaric. They are the most physically powerful of the clans, and they are exceptionally cruel. They seek to rule the other clans through brute force.

The Aundae vampires seek domination through the imposition of their will. They are powerful in magic, and hungry for power.

The Berne are the most subtle of the vampire clans. They slide through the night to hunt their prey, and seek power through cunning, not force.

It has been said that it is possible that a VERY powerful vampire mage could make a healing spell to offset the damage the sun does. This would however have to be a very strong spell and would require lots of magicka.

An interesting thing to know concerning thievery is that all stolen items are marked. Should you steal an item from a merchant you cannot sell back to this same merchant, for he will recognize his goods. If you get caught with stolen goods by town-guards, all your stolen items are taken away from you and you are thrown in jail.

Merchants do not have an infinite supply of money, so the days of using the same merchant to sell everything too are gone as he might well not have the funds that your item is worth!

Transport between cities is done on foot (obviously) or through the use of a transit system. Not much known about this transit system yet although it seems you ride gigantic bugs. I'll update when I know more.

Interesting Links
Good FAQ from Euro-Morrowind (http://www.euro-morrowind.com/?section=faq#basic)
Really neat Q&A's with some developers (scroll to bottom for previous) (http://rpgvault.ign.com/features/den/morrowindqa04.shtml)

And of course:
www.morrowind.com (http://www.morrowind.com)

Well, thats about it for now.. I will update this post more and more as time permits and more is known. Until then.. enjoy yourselves.

khaos2005
04-21-2002, 09:19 PM
That's awesome man! Thanks so much. You did a very nice job too!

I am quite into this game (understatement), and know a lot about it, but I even learned something by reading your post. Mainly the map and Morrowind world. The names of the countries and areas confused me, and I had been looking for a map. Thanks a lot, I've got all that cleared up. Good work.

jeah
04-22-2002, 01:38 AM
Sorry if my questions is extremely simple, but I have not been paying much attention to morrowind. All i'm wondering is if the battle sequences are turnbased or real time.

khaos2005
04-22-2002, 06:13 AM
They are real-time! Yeah!!

Nato King
04-22-2002, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by khaos2005
That's awesome man!

This is very awesome Dre. I love it. I feel you really did a good job here and I Thank you for that.:)

studepaber
04-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Thanks alot Dre, after reading your info on this SHWEET game you got me even more pumped for this title. Between this game and RE for GC I will not be leaving my apartment for several weeks.

*will prepare himself for this event by purchasing 100 burritos for 100 dollars*

Calve
04-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Thanks Dre thats sweet!!:) :D

N e ways.......
If you get bitten by a vampire, are u a vamp for the rest of the game or can you be cured or something!!

Thanks

Peace

Dre
04-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Calve
Thanks Dre thats sweet!!:) :D

N e ways.......
If you get bitten by a vampire, are u a vamp for the rest of the game or can you be cured or something!!

Thanks

Peace

From what I read, Vampirism is a disease.

Fact: Diseases can be cured in Morrowind with potions, healers, etc. However, I'm unsure if this is still the case with Vampirism.

Opinion: I don't think you can cure Vampirism. Its a one shot deal and you're stuck with it. Don't take my word as being the voice of god though.. I'll let you know if I find more concrete info on this.

And by the way, thanks to each and everyone of you! The praise was welcome and well met.

JJaX
04-23-2002, 10:00 AM
When your a vampire, Where do you go during the day for shelter?

Dre
04-23-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Most probably in a cave of some sorts. I'm thinking that the three vampire factions must also have strongholds that you might be able to stay at (depending which one you're in of course..).

Bundy
04-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

you can kill a npc, and stay in there house.

studepaber
04-23-2002, 04:55 PM
I love the fact you can be turned into a vampire during the game, too bad there's no werewolf though... Some things I was pondering were if you are turned into a vampire....

1) can you fly?
2) if you are far along in the game and you turn are your magic/combat skills the same or will you possess additional skills, i.e. flying, blood suck/drain, etc.?
3) if you build your ranks very high in a house or guild then turn what will your comrades think? can you also join a vampire group?

those are just a few things I've been wondering about this game, only a couple more weeks until I have answers ;)

BTW I wish they would've included backstabbing for thieves, but I'm just being too particular.

Dre
04-23-2002, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
I love the fact you can be turned into a vampire during the game, too bad there's no werewolf though... Some things I was pondering were if you are turned into a vampire....

1) can you fly?
2) if you are far along in the game and you turn are your magic/combat skills the same or will you possess additional skills, i.e. flying, blood suck/drain, etc.?
3) if you build your ranks very high in a house or guild then turn what will your comrades think? can you also join a vampire group?

those are just a few things I've been wondering about this game, only a couple more weeks until I have answers ;)

BTW I wish they would've included backstabbing for thieves, but I'm just being too particular.

1) No, but if you have the levitation skill it supposedly takes alot less magicka to use.. so in sorts yes

2) I believe you keep your skills. Being vampire isn't all good though, I'm sure it has its downfalls as well as it ups when it comes to skills. As for bloodsucking, you don't have to do it, but its an easy way to regain lost health.

3) I'm not to sure about this.. I think it would be really awesome though if you could like become the leader of one of the factions and wage war on the others.. and then who knows.. maybe conquer all of morrowind!

frog11983
04-24-2002, 12:26 AM
I know it may not be that big of a factor, but what about clothing? Have there been any details released about how you can dress your newly created character? Or do they come "pre-dressed"? It could affect your gameplay a little I suppose, maybe if a NPC thought that what you were wearing was obsecne or something, but are there choices to what you can dress your character like? I know that during the game you can get different armor that will affect your appearal, but I am mostly talking about when you first start out and are creating your person. Any thoughts?

Dre
04-24-2002, 12:30 AM
Every article in Morrowind is WYSIWYG, be it swords, armor, hair piece, boots, etc.

JJaX
04-24-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by frog11983
I know it may not be that big of a factor, but what about clothing? Have there been any details released about how you can dress your newly created character? Or do they come "pre-dressed"? It could affect your gameplay a little I suppose, maybe if a NPC thought that what you were wearing was obsecne or something, but are there choices to what you can dress your character like? I know that during the game you can get different armor that will affect your appearal, but I am mostly talking about when you first start out and are creating your person. Any thoughts?

The cool thing about all this is, NPC will react to what your wearing. If you roll up in shiny armor, Impress them. Roll up in rags they will disrespect you.

frog11983
04-24-2002, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, check out these screen shots I found on gamespot, sweet water!

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/morrowind/morrowind_screen032.jpg
Look at the ripples...
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2002/xbox/morrowind/morrowind_screen033.jpg
I bet you can increase the length of time you can hold your breath.

Head on over to here (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/screenindex/0,11104,480241,00.html) to see a bunch of cool shots from the Xbox version. This game is going to be rad. Sorry if you have all seen these, I thought I would share one of my "hey thats cool" moments with you.

=w=

preetz16
04-24-2002, 04:22 PM

Yeah, by my understanding that's one of the things that the alteration skill does. Since it allows you to manipulate the enviroment, I read somewhere that underwater you can canvert the H20 into O2, and thus breath it just like plain air. I look forward to exploring all of the cool stuff it looks like you can do w/ Alteration. It's definetly going to be one of my major skills...

In response to frog's post, yes the water is quite cool. I especially like the way it parts behind the moving body. But on of the things that struck me in addition to the water effects was th awesome detailed shadow that was cast.

What's making me the maddest is that rumor has it that the Xbox version is done, and for once I believe the rumor. The only reason it hasn't gone gold yet (the PC version has!) is because it has to go through Microsoft Quality Assurance. But if you ask me, this is not nessessary. Because of daggerfall the devs company of morrowind has a bad reputation af releasing unstable games....they are obviously trying very hard to do away w/ this reputaion. Not only this but it's emperically shown through games like Kabuki Warriors that Microsoft QA does absolutely nothing.

~Paul

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 04:35 PM
If previous Daggerfall items will be included in this game, the alchemist will be able to create underwater breathing potions as well as levitation and even waterwalk!! I don't know to what extent they have developped potion creation in Morrowind, but it always helps to have a few restoration and invisibilty potions that don't require any spell points.

I think it will also be possible to create magic items bound to soul stones that have these magic properties, either as a spells or ability. These items were extremely powerful in Daggerfall. Some even included life leech and mana leech.

Pluto:)

kazual
04-24-2002, 05:03 PM
If I wanted to be a hand to hand type fighter, and I chose the birthsign of The Steed, would that increase my run speed, or would it decrease the delay between each punch I throw?

I have in my head the vision of a lightning quick martial artist..
In EverQuest the faster the delay the more dmg per second you will do, just wondering if I would be able to use similar kinds of dmg rules..

Plutonium
04-24-2002, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by kazual
If I wanted to be a hand to hand type fighter, and I chose the birthsign of The Steed, would that increase my run speed, or would it decrease the delay between each punch I throw?

I have in my head the vision of a lightning quick martial artist..
In EverQuest the faster the delay the more dmg per second you will do, just wondering if I would be able to use similar kinds of dmg rules..

I'm thinking the Steed sign only increases your movement rate and reduces your travel time (like pathfinding). You could still make a good fighter if you choose hand to hand combat in the stealth skills and block from the combat skills. Although Hand-to-hand attacks damage only the fatigue of a standing opponent, hand-to-hand attacks damage health when a target has been knocked unconscious by fatigue loss. Like when homer was a boxer. So if you can knock them down you can finish them off. Some kind of weapon proficiency woulld still be a good investment since some demons and monsters can only be harmed by metals of Silver quality or better, like vampires. Without a good weapon, you can't hurt them.

Pluto
:)

kazual
04-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Well the only idea I would have was for studded metal gloves be implemented as a source of metal weapon.. but thats just dreaming.

If hand to hand doesnt do dmg then I will probably go to my backup plan I had, an assassin with dagger and archery skills..

Dre
04-24-2002, 07:42 PM

Cool screens! Every time I see one of those water-shots I can't get over how nice it looks.

And Preetz was right, with the alteration skill you can do under-water breathing... VERY COOL!!

kazual
04-29-2002, 03:53 PM
On the official Morrowind Site, it says that the Khajit often prefer their sharp claws as weapons over any other sword knife etc..

Does this mean that Khajit do dmg with their claws all the time and not just when a player is unconscious??

Kazual

jschelm
04-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Dre

From what I read, Vampirism is a disease.

Fact: Diseases can be cured in Morrowind with potions, healers, etc. However, I'm unsure if this is still the case with Vampirism.

Opinion: I don't think you can cure Vampirism. Its a one shot deal and you're stuck with it. Don't take my word as being the voice of god though.. I'll let you know if I find more concrete info on this.

And by the way, thanks to each and everyone of you! The praise was welcome and well met.

I just read something about being a vampire. It was a pretty comprehensive guide and it said how to become a vampire (which is kinda a spoiler so I won't share that) and that you can be healed from being a vampire once and (then the next part was a little ambiguous) the way I read it was that after that first healing you can never change your mind and become a vampire again, so it is like a one shot cure forever.

Calve
04-29-2002, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by jschelm

I just read something about being a vampire. It was a pretty comprehensive guide and it said how to become a vampire (which is kinda a spoiler so I won't share that) and that you can be healed from being a vampire once and (then the next part was a little ambiguous) the way I read it was that after that first healing you can never change your mind and become a vampire again, so it is like a one shot cure forever.

Thats music ta my ears :D !!!!

i really didnt want to be a vampire!!! Really nice find jschelm

Peace:)

Toast
05-02-2002, 05:46 PM
i was just reading at morrowind site and there is an item called a moon pearl, you eat it and get enhanced water breathing

http://www.elderscrolls.com/main.htm

Marc
05-02-2002, 11:58 PM
Excellent, excellent thread Dre. I bought the hint book or guide for Morrowind. It's thicker than some textbooks at school.

EHWfedPres
05-03-2002, 02:32 PM
I bet that the quicker the attack, the less damage it will do, like Ultima Online.

Toast
05-03-2002, 10:20 PM
this thread makes me drool... i cant believe its out for pc, people are somewhere sitting down and exploring morrowind while we sit her... drooling

Englishguy
05-07-2002, 12:52 AM
Hey fellas, just wanted to let you all know that there are 50 new screens on Gamespot. Some pretty cool ones too.

Also, I started a thread "Morrowind ANSWERS" I've been reading about this game straight for a week now, and I'll try to answer what I can without having played the game. From stories I've heard to confirmed stuff. I'll do this at least as time permits me.
You guys should also check out Teamxbox.com when its back up. They have some serious RPG gamers overthere who already have posted some detailed shiat on their experiences with the game. I'm not pumping that site, but theres more info there about Morrowind than there is here.

This place has more infor on FPS's it seems though. SO to each their own@!

JGennaro
05-07-2002, 01:57 PM
I can't believe this !!! I pre-ordered the game at 39.95 from electronics boutique so I was lucky because the day after they raised the pre-order price to 49.95!!! This was about 2 weeks ago...and they said the day they were going to ship was the 15th or so with 2 day shipping...NOW I get an email from them saying it has been delayed for release on the 20th now...and that it can very possibly change again!! I'm only guessing they are taking the extra time to let the pc gamers have suitable time to play to find any bugs that they can so they can implement those pc patches to the xbox version before it is released.....in fact, I'm SURE that's what they are doing...it's the only thing that makes sense!!!

:cool:

jschelm
05-07-2002, 02:59 PM
Yea, unfortuantely guys don't expect to see morrowind soon because from what I have been seeing Bethsoft has already started working on a patch to fix some problems in the game, not just th crashing, but also some actual game problems. Hey, think about it this way guys. Thousands and thousands of people are being beta testers so that we can have a better game than they got!

Englishguy
05-07-2002, 04:04 PM
Ug. That still sucks big fat balls though. I was really looking forward to getting this game next week. NOT the week before finals. That is bad, that is very very bad. I'm graduating finally, and I don't want to be playing a new game during my last finals week. Damn.

Though you are correct when you say that we will be getting a less buggier version than those who own the PC. So in that respect, I'm happy. Because once you have the game for the box, there's no a'patchin' to be had. One time deal.

Still want this game freakin' soon though.

preetz16
05-07-2002, 04:42 PM
Well, even if it did have bugs in it when it shipped they could still be fixed. Refer to what the devs of DOA3 did with their add-on pack. This same sort of thing could easily be done for bug fixes for the Xbox. While it would be a slight inconvienance, they could just send a simple disc to all those who register the game, or they could even put it on the OXM disc like the DOA3 devs did.

Dre
05-07-2002, 06:17 PM
Preetz.. DUDE! I just noticed your sig for the first time... those are some freakin AWESOME bands!! I love Dropkick Murphys! They played on the Warped Tour this summer and kicked some fahckin ass! You like Less Than Jake? I just went to see them and Bad Religion in Montreal not to long ago.. really sweet show.

I just started listening to some YellowCard (i heard a song on the amped demo on oxm dvd from them...ROCKS).. you should check em out if you like the Dropkick Murphys.

Anyways.. cheers bro!

[edit] I just remembered that the Goldfinger self-titled album was the 1st and only (well.. for two weeks..) soundtrack I ever burnt to my xbox. Those tunes got so much playage in Project Gotham..

preetz16
05-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Preetz.. DUDE! I just noticed your sig for the first time... those are some freakin AWESOME bands!! I love Dropkick Murphys! They played on the Warped Tour this summer and kicked some fahckin ass! You like Less Than Jake? I just went to see them and Bad Religion in Montreal not to long ago.. really sweet show.

I just started listening to some YellowCard (i heard a song on the amped demo on oxm dvd from them...ROCKS).. you should check em out if you like the Dropkick Murphys.

Anyways.. cheers bro!

[edit] I just remembered that the Goldfinger self-titled album was the 1st and only (well.. for two weeks..) soundtrack I ever burnt to my xbox. Those tunes got so much playage in Project Gotham..

Yeah, I've really been enjoying the punk scene for many years now. And yes, the Dropkick murphys are really good, as is Rancid. yes, I do like Less Than Jake, and (it kills me) but I missed their concert in my hometown of Lawrence becuase I forgot about it!!!..I know, horrible excuse...but the one bad thing about Lawrence is that Bad Religion NEVER COMES! Which is why I will definetly be at warped tour this year in KC even if I have to miss debate camp. And Goldfinger is infact my favorite band.

In truth, I wanted to put a whole lot more buttons in my sig but there's some restraining thing that stops me from putting more than I did. I will try to find some stuff by Yellowcard...In the mean time between doing that and waiting for Morrowind, maybe I'll stop being lazy and do some more stuff to my jacket!

Take it easy...

frog11983
05-08-2002, 01:25 PM
OY! OY! OY!
hehe, just kidding preetz....

preetz16
05-08-2002, 10:32 PM
OY! OY! OY!
hehe, just kidding preetz....

Ok, in an attempt to "insult" me you just made yourself look dumb. Now to a lot of the people on these forums this will seem like an insignificant detai, but given that I've given you the spelling multiple times(we know each other in person), the fact that you cannot remember how to spell a two letter word (it's Oi, by the way) is a bit troubling to me. You're in Honors English right? Next thing you know you'll be ranting about how "WWF Raw 2" will "rule". ;)

Go back to your emo, emo-boy...:)

frog11983
05-09-2002, 12:01 AM
WWF rules!!!!

and so does emo!!!!

(i was kidding about the wwf thing)

Yeah, being in high school honors english class basically proves nothing. All it really means that you are willing to put somewhat of an effort into your school work to get an A. Sorry that I am not "hardcore" enough to know how to spell "Oi", maybe I will just stick to my emo, punk boy.

oy oy oy;)

Englishguy
05-09-2002, 02:18 AM
Jesus Christ guys. Emo vs. pUnK! The next big action title by Kanomi, I can see it now. Small tiny guys coming out in blazing dull green sweaters and black rimmed glasses clashing with black and bright colored pUnKs with spiky hair and tore up clothes! It will be the battle game to end all battle games! Move over Soul Calibur! Step aside Street figher! Bow down DOA3! The ultimate fighting game has finally arrived!.!.!.!..!...!....!.....!

Puem'O Kombat!

Crap guys. Seriously, you both like videogames right? Well who gives a **** what lifestyle you live, if either of you cared you would'nt be talking to all kinds of different people on the net.

Highschool honors huh Frog? Good job dude, but be warned, being an English Major in college is a whole different ball game. Prepare to READ, and read lots.

Preetz, I can't say that I recognize any of those buttons. What bands are they? Seeing that sig posted everywhere got me wondering what they represent. I do especially like the one of the crossed out Nazi symbol. That symbolism works anytime.

Peace.

Oh yeah, Congradulate me guys, I'm graduating in 2 weeks!! I'll have all the time I want to play games, at least for a while anyways.

Englishguy
05-09-2002, 02:19 AM
Well, I do know the Kennedys and Bad Religion though. Didn't read those. heheh

preetz16
05-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey, I'd buy that game! The only problem is the emo characters would never win.;)
(Unless the emo side used their "bore to death" move)

Don't think that Frog and I are two above average agressive people. Him and some of my other firends think it's funny to yell Oi! in a semi-retarded voice. This humor (and so much else) is "humor" (and I use the term tentitively) that I not only don't understand, but don't have respect for...whatever. We actually are friends that go to the same school...frog's just being a little *****:)

As to what the buttons stand for, they're all bands. The only ones that are not are the anti-nazi and anti-mtv ones. The anti-mtv I think originated from the Dead Kennedy's "MTV get off the air" song, and the anti-nazi symbol (besides being against hate) is to deaffiliate myself from skins. All the rest are just punk bands. As a side note regaurding the Anti-Flag button, Anti-Flag is not Anti-American. They are anti-war. And weather we like to accept it or not, we cause most of the wars in the world in one way or another. They're also against the creation of geopolitical boundries, and the sigmatization that comes thereof.

Congrats Englishguy! Given your name, the information you provide, and your constantly grammatically correct posts, I must deduce that your degree has something to do with English. I have a lot of respect for people who major in that, because frankly, I don't think I could.

frog11983
05-09-2002, 05:11 PM
Yeah... I just like to tease preetz sometimes, and actually, I do like some punk...

Puem'O Kombat would be cool! However, I also think that punk would win most of the time, Emos would be too tied up in their emotions to fight :) Punkers also have those spikes all over that would hurt, what are emos suppose to do, throw chess peices?

Englishguy, don't worry, I am not going to major in English, I simply don't have that much willpower for the subject, I am more of a science guy :)

Bretzky
05-09-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey Frog. Are you in AP, I.B., or just honours classes? I'm in I.B. myself and man do we get bogged down with work sometimes. It really blows. Hey, I'm a science kind of guy too. I can't stand all that Shakespeare and politics. I'm best at Biology ( 96% ) or Physics ( 92 % ). I just wrote a really screwed up Physics test today too, our teacher is a the dumbest teacher I know. He is giving people an extra day to write the exam and a couple of guys actually managed to get another copy of the test. What an idiot!

Anyways, All I can say is that I can't wait for Morrowind and I really have to decide what character I'm going to be. I keep changing my mind. Arghhh! :( :( :(

frog11983
05-09-2002, 07:38 PM
Well its offically AP English I guess, and I am also in physics, I believe I have an A now, I did bad on a test (what are you gonna do?), but now I think I am better. I am also in AP Calc, that final is going to suck, but I enjoyed the class. My English teacher was crazy this year, she assigned so many papers, it was nuts, but now I can write papers like nothing.

Back to Morrowind!! I can't wait for it either. I am pretty sure that I am going to be a Dark Elve, with kind of half and half on magika and athletics. But I will probably have more than one character...

p.s. what is I.B.?

jschelm
05-09-2002, 11:29 PM
Here are a couple reviews of the pc version... I think one of them may have already gotten posted, but not sure.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=3672

http://www.gamers.com/game/260434

Bretzky
05-10-2002, 05:22 PM
I.B. stands for International Bachloriette (spelling???). It has been around longer than AP and is almost the same. Hey my English teacher is crazy too, she keeps on talking about Rome and how we should be constanly thanking them for what they have done. Also she is completely obsessed with Cleopatra, it's really crazy, I think she wants to go back to those Roman days and be her. Plus she constantly informs us that the sex Cleopatra had was hot sex. Weird, weird teacher. I'm serious.

Anyways again, I think I will go elf as well, probably high elf because I wanna be a mage/alchemist. I think that will be fun, roaming the land in search of the greatest potion and herbal mixes to make. :D

I'll wish you luck on that AP Calc exam ( that has really got to suck ).

Englishguy
05-11-2002, 03:37 AM
FYI, Gamespot review went up today of Morrowind. Dude gave it an 8.7. Weird review, the guy basically raved about the game, he seemed somewhat conflicted in the review. Strange review. Somebody else read it and tell me what you think.

I am giving up on being anxious for this game. ******, freaking people won't give a solid release date! I'm going on vacation June 2 to the 10th, and now they say the relase date is June 11th. Once again, ug. Major ug. But then again, I'll come back from Hawaii, and get to continue my vacation in the land of Morrowind. Not a bad way to do it I suppose.

I've had some weird English teachers in my day. Once I had this teacher for freshman English in High School that would call all her students "kitties" and various forms of the feline species. We were "bad kitties" if we talked in class. We were "good kitties" if we did good on papers. Basically, we were all some kind of "kittie" at some point in time. It became a game to see who could get called the less *** of a name the teacher would use. She also kept stuffed animals around the class. One day some kid got fed up with it and hung one of the animals in the front of the class when the teacher left. She came back and freaked the hell out. "Who did this!! You are all BAD KITTIES! B.A.D, Bad!" and she started to cry and left the room.

Weird.

Thought you all might get a kick out of that non-gaming related story.

Then in college I had this teacher who thought everything and anything was a "bi-polar opposition." I couldn't understand what the hell he was talking about the entire semester and bombed the class. I undestood everything but whatever the hell a bi-polar relationship was. I think I know now. A bi-polar relationship between two things or people could be used in an analogy like; Bill Gates has a bi-polar relationship with Japan. He has a relationship with them, and they with him, but there is an opposition. The contradict each other. Gates wants to, and has to, Americanize a traditionally ant-American gaming public to the benefits of the Xbox. While the Japanese hold Bill Gates as an Cultural icon, yet refuse his product.

Whew.

Too Much school. Sorry for the ramble. I just needed to think about something other than Melvile for the moment.

Lates all.

RadRider
05-11-2002, 10:40 AM
I'm not going to read a Gamespot review, Gamespot are terribly inconsistent with their reviews, which is why I stopped going there several months ago.

Anyway, I picked up the pc version of Morrowind last friday, and have been playing it every day since. Well, except for yesterday; the first day I took a break.

Anyway, Morrowind is thoroughly excellent. A few things to note first: this is NOT Daggerfall! You can't buy a boat or horse (you can't ride any creature), there are no banks, I don't think there's any "love interest" in the game, but then again I don't think Daggerfall had that either. I still don't know if you can buy a house or not. From the developer Q and A's I was reading, it seems like you'll have to build one if you're in the Telvanni mages guild, but that's all that I got. I also don't know if you can command your underlings once you rise to the top of your guild.

Other than that, this game surpassed Daggerfall in soo many ways. The characters now feel like actual characters, and don't be surprised if you feel remorse when you kill a store owner then take all of their items. It's kind of funny because you can attack an enemy, but then either entering a house (if you weren't in a house when initiating the attack) or vice-versa will simply leave the opponent in the other zone, so you're safe to heal. But once you step back into the other area, be prepared to fight some more. I do think this was necessary though, as the game would be incredibly hard otherwise.

Morrowind is far, far easier to get into than Daggerfall was, and I think it's actually a little easier overall. Then again, I broke my teeth on Daggerfall (that is the expression right?) so I think that my be blurring my judgement a little.

I realize I didn't go to in depth here, but that's for you guys to find out when playing the game. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in the game at all (except for the wierd running and jumping animations), and everyone will probably play this game for at least a week solid, like I did.

Calve
05-15-2002, 09:46 PM
I have some questions regarding Morrowind:

1. What is the best kind of armour??? Will it come full or will you have to buy the helmet and stuff seperate???

2. What is the best weapon in the game???

3. Can you enchant your weapons (Example: fire arrows or something?)

4. How many hours do you think it would take to beat morrowind???

jschelm
05-15-2002, 09:51 PM

1. What is the best kind of armour??? Will it come full or will you have to buy the helmet and stuff seperate???

1) They haven't said a whole lot about it, but you will need to get all the pieces separately.

2) See #1

3) Yes

4) If you do nothing but the things necessary to beat the game around 100 hours

Plutonium
05-16-2002, 12:54 AM

1. Armor is not needed if you don't get hit! So it all depends what type of character you will be playing. If it follows the previous series, the armor pieces are: feet, legs, chest, hands, left arm, right arm and helmet. Shields can also increase defence to head and feet depending on the type of shield you use. I would choose my armor skill very wisely as a wizard or thief has no use for heavy armor as they won't engage in heavy close combat. Mobility is also an issue. Skills that require large ammounts of agility, like Marksmanship, are affected by heavy armor.

2. The Best weapon also depends on your character type. The best weapon in Daggerfall (Elder scrolls 2) was the Deadric Dai-Katana. A two handed weapon. The material the weapon is made of also effects its damage on certain monster types. For example, weapons of silver class or greater are the only ones that can harm werewolves.

3. Yes, you can enchant weapons. Once again, the lvl (or ammount) of enchantment depends on the class of weapon and material type. The stronger the material, the better it will be. You can also bound monster souls to a weapon. This can create devastating weapons. I had a magical saber with life leech in Daggerfall. You could also create flaming swords and such. There were no flaming arrows or projectiles unfortunatly. Maybe they updated these weapons ??

4. I hope Morrowind will last at least 80 hours!

Most of this information is based on the preceding game, Daggerfall (Elder Scrolls 2). I have also played Arena (Elder Scrolls 1). If it follows the same game play, much of what is said here will be usefull in Morrowind. :)

Also, a note for summoning wizards. You can only summon a certain type of monster depending on the month and week you are curently living in. So you will not be able to summon the same monster over and over.

Pluto :)

AppoX
05-16-2002, 04:22 PM
i have lately been reading up on morrowind and it seems like a must have. i do remember reading somewhere, www.gamespot.com somewhere in there and they had an interview and the guy said it would prolly take 40 hours if u went straight through. i dunno bout that tho, u might have to b really good at it =D i don't play that many rpg's, my last was zelda for n64 so im not sure if this is going to b ez for me. how long do u expect it takes someone to get adapted to the game before they are half decent at it? and, should u pick a character that is strickly somethign such as a mage, or a theif, or should u kind of mix the abilities so u have a mage that can steal **** well? lol i dunno?!?! well it shoulds fun, when this game expected also? even tho the release date is the 20th im sure we aren't ganna get it then.

Plutonium
05-16-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by AppoX
i have lately been reading up on morrowind and it seems like a must have. i do remember reading somewhere, www.gamespot.com somewhere in there and they had an interview and the guy said it would prolly take 40 hours if u went straight through. i dunno bout that tho, u might have to b really good at it =D i don't play that many rpg's, my last was zelda for n64 so im not sure if this is going to b ez for me. how long do u expect it takes someone to get adapted to the game before they are half decent at it? and, should u pick a character that is strickly somethign such as a mage, or a theif, or should u kind of mix the abilities so u have a mage that can steal **** well? lol i dunno?!?! well it shoulds fun, when this game expected also? even tho the release date is the 20th im sure we aren't ganna get it then.

The gameplay is similar to Halo I am told. You use both analogs for walk and look. If you haven't played this style yet, you should get used to it very quickly. Choose a character type you want to play. The most complicated character is probably the mage, but it still is pretty simple. You might want to check out the offical site www.elderscrolls.com/main.htm it give tons of information. I suggest planing a little before you buy the game. You'll have to make decisions on what kind of person you will play. Since being a good guy makes all the bad guys hate you and vice versa. You'll have a reputation to uphold (good or bad). Some guilds, like the thiefs guild won't want to associate themselfs with a goody two shoes. The mages will not accept someone that is not magicly gifted (skills).

I am playing a Thief-Mage. Here are my skills.
Name: Imoen (Baldur's Gate :D)
Race: Khajiit
Birth: The Tower
Class: Theif - Mage
Major: (WIL) Alteration
Major: (PER) Illusion
Major: (INT) Security
Major: (AGI) Marksman
Major: (AGI) Light Armor
Minor: (STR) Acrobatics
Minor: (AGI) Sneak
Minor: (PER) Speechcraft
Minor: (PER) Mercantile
Minor: (SPD) Short Blade

I'm hoping to be able to play out the game hidden in the shadows, striking when no one is looking.

I have no idea when the release date is?!?!? I'm sure the delays are for a good reason. We'll just let all the PC users report the bugs for us while they play it.

Calve
05-16-2002, 07:46 PM
yo pluto the release date is *SUPPOSED* to be May 23

Peace

Calve
05-16-2002, 07:52 PM
hey peeps check out ma new character

TESIII: Morrowind
Custom Character

Name: Tavares
Race: Imperial
Birthsign: The Steed

Class: Warmaster

Major Skills:
Enchant
Marksman
Restoration
Medium Armor
Long Blade

Minor Skills:
Block
Alchemy
Security
Speechcraft
Armorer

Class Description:
An intelligent Warmaster that has mastered skills from the Long Blade to magic skills such as Enchant. A true Warmaster will only join a guild that treats him with respect and rewards him when a mission is completed. If someone trades on a Warmaster, he will get revenge, even if it ends up to be fatal.
I want to have an all round character.... Peace

jschelm
05-16-2002, 09:57 PM
sounds pretty sweet calve, can't wait!!!! Just a few more days

Plutonium
05-17-2002, 10:25 AM
May 23rd sounds like a good date! Where did you get that info?

You guys like my new sig?

RadRider
05-17-2002, 11:09 AM
The best armor I've encountered so far is easily Deadric armor. However, Deadric is also very heavy, so Glass Armor might be a better fit for other people. Plus, any armor you find has a different armor rating than any other piece. For instance, you could find a piece of iron plating with armor rating 8, then find another piece a couple hours later, with armor rating of 60. So in a sense, there is no best piece of armor.
And like somebody else said here, if you're character has a high armor-less combat skill, then wearing armor will be bad for that character, no matter how good the armor is. It's all subjective.

My favorite weapons are the Nordic weapons. They do decent damage, and they have all these cool rune inscriptions on them. Unfortunately, they don't do damage against enchanted creatures, so I've been using my silver claymore the most.

In all the faqs I remember reading, Bethesda said that the game contains 200 hours of gameplay. I don't know if that's for the main story only, if it's for all the subquests, or what. So take that as you will. All I know, is it's far more substance than any other RPG I've played yet, excluding Daggerfall.

Calve
05-17-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Plutonium
May 23rd sounds like a good date! Where did you get that info?

You guys like my new sig?

Yes i got my release date from eb :confused: But they guaranteed thatll be in that date...

PS Nice Sig!!!

Peace

Calve
05-17-2002, 07:49 PM
hey radrider:

how many inventory spaces are there????

Dre
06-11-2002, 10:43 AM
Last night, I made myself a couple of spells...I'm a wizard type character by the name of Calaldum.

A fireball that does paralyze for 5 secs on target, a jump spell with slowfall so that I can jump onto building tops or LONG distances and not take dmg to my health, a blizzard type spell it does frost dmg 10-20 pts for 10 secs on 25 ft radius on target. Pretty cool.. but the coolest of all is my charm spell. I do charm 40 pts on target for 1 sec duration and it costs really cheap, but when I cast it on an NPC I get 100/100 disposition with them and it stays that way. I'm on my way to being the wizard that all Vvaardenfell knows and loves!

I just need a staff to be a wizard in the mages guild.. and let me tell you the staff quests are NOT easy :( But its so much fun!! Get this game if you don't have it yet! I can't wait to make more spells, etc... thats what being a wizard's all about!

I love the fact that you can name the spells you create.. really cool. My spells so far are Calaldum Pounce (the jump one), Calaldum Blizzard, Calaldum Warm Gaze (the disposition raising spell) and Calaldum Firesting (the paralyzing fireball).

Anyhoo.. I'm done rambling..

Lates

OppiumNitrates
06-11-2002, 11:28 AM
u pay people to make them spells or u make them your self . . .

Dre
06-11-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by OppiumNitrates
u pay people to make them spells or u make them your self . . .

I have to pay spellmakers (usually you can find one in every mage guild). I don't know if you can actually make spells yourself.. it might be an ability acquired later.. but for now I gots to pay. Same with scrolls.. I wish I could write my own scrolls.. I'm sure the PC version must have a mod that does this stuff.

Dre
06-11-2002, 12:21 PM
One thing I'm hoping we'll see is a mod disc that has plugins on it. It would be really cool if they could get that working.. deliver it with OXM in the same manner as DoA3 did.

Things I'd love to have added to the game:
-Alchemists guild (and all quests, NPC's, houses, etc...)
-More flora
-More ambient noises
-More books
-More clothing (that might be coming up later in a town I have yet to explore) and the icing on the cake would be some wizard pointy hats :)
-More NPC's stories
-Maybe another village or two
-Bunch of dungeons that should be very hard to offer a challenge for later down the line.

I don't think it would be to hard to do since they have all these plugins coming from the pc community already. Hopefully in a few months when people have started to really get used to the editor and some amazing mods come out we'll see an xbox addon disc.

Even if this stuff doesn't come out, this game will still be #1 on my list for a long time...